2014 Thrift Store Thread - Post your finds here!

I can see were the "fight club" had you laughing.  Not everyone has a jerk manager breathing down their neck.  Your work sounds challenging and rewarding at the same time.  Thanks for doing what you do for people with autism.  Just wondering if you have heard of anyone using video games as therapy for someone with autism?  Or maybe certain autistic people who excel at video games but lack in social skills?

I can see were the "fight club" had you laughing. Not everyone has a jerk manager breathing down their neck. Your work sounds challenging and rewarding at the same time. Thanks for doing what you do for people with autism. Just wondering if you have heard of anyone using video games as therapy for someone with autism? Or maybe certain autistic people who excel at video games but lack in social skills?
Gaming and autism can work together well for some. A few of the kids I work with are really into Minecraft, and it gives them something to focus on/be creative with. The cool thing about my job is the kids who game I can implement treatment goals into playing games when I am at there house. A boy I used to work with (PTSD, Mood Disorder, etc.) used to beat my ass at Super Smash Brothers all the time. It was embrassing. "Mr. Shaun, I thought you said you were good at fighting games" lol. On the downside, gaming can bring out negative emotions (amplified with these kiddos) and that can lead to negative displays of behavior. But, all in all gaming can be a good thing. I should do my research study thesis on autism and gaming...

One kid I worked with was really into Skylanders. I mean really into it (Pervasive Development Disorder, his obsession with the game was a real obstacle in getting him to socialize with others. great kid though). Like, I am really into metal bands from the late 80's and early 90's can talk about albums and bands and people till next month if ya want. But this kid could script a hour long video from youtube about the new batch of skylanders coming out verbatim and would not stop even when others tried to change the subject. So gaming can be a bad thing if the combo with diagnosis is right.

My job is rewarding, and I love most of the kids I have met. The biggest problems usually stem from one of two places other than the kids- Insurance companies and Parents. But that is the way society goes, parents think their kid can be "fixed" like its a busted car not realizing what the issues are and how they should be addressed. But I digress.

TLDR- Kids on the spectrum can excel at games and lack social skills, I like to use gaming to develop social skills when possible. I work with lots of woman, and parents get in the way of their kids behavioral health therapy sometimes.

My friend use to run a fight club. But it got shut down after their youtube videos got found. :lol: Now, only people who are actually participating can watch it. :lol: So I'm out. hahah

Picked up:

DBZ Budokai - Gamecube

DBZ Budokai 2 - Gamecube

Naruto Clash of Ninja 2 - Gamecube

Two Tiger Electronics Quiz Wiz cartridge sealed, which I knew nothing about.

Sealed Radica Poker Game

Yesterdays pick ups (after a 4 mile run with the girlfriend)

PS1 Games

MTV Music Generator

Thrasher Skate and Destroy

Resurrection: Rise 2 (disc only)

Ren and Stimpy Crock O Christmas CD

College Hoops 2K8 360 ( no manual)

Book Of Nod (Vampire the Masquerade supplemental book)

All for 13 bucks and some change. I am going to sit on CH2K8 for about 10 months before posting it on ebay. Surprisingly, the discs are all pretty damn spotless

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked this up the other day for $3 because I thought it was interesting. I was pleasantly surprised when I looked it up on ebay; the listings seemed to have dropped, but two had sold in February for around $240. Time Zone for the Apple 2:

300yykk.jpg

Also picked up a green Yoshi plush from the Nintendo 64 era for a dollar, as well as a handful of guitar hero controllers for $3 each.

Saw an Apple iMac sitting on the glass display at one Goodwill today..............$700. I didnt bother looking up which model it was because I would never give Goodwill $700! I also didnt see a mouse, keyboard, or cables with it. 1. Who the hell donates a newer looking iMac?? 2. Who the hell goes to GW thinking "I sure hope I can find something to spend $700 on!"??

Haha. I kind of cleaned up today... some of these are thrifts, some game stores, bit all deals.

Two joysticks in original boxes for Tandy Color Computer: 3.99

Metroid 2 CIB (gb) 14.99 (no poster but for the price...)

Time Crisis (ps) 2.99
Gargoyles Quest 2 (nes) 13.99

Megaman X Collection (gc) 24.99 (disc only)

R-Type (sms) 4.99
Sonic 3d Blast (sat) 6.99

The Neverhood (pc) 0.99
Grim Fandango (pc) 0.99

Forgot to add, I also grabbed a copy of Jurassic Park Park Builder for GBA. It was $1.00 on clearance and apparently it goes for around $10.00 normally. Interesting game, something a bit different and so I decided to grab it.

Anyway, here's the picture.

Edit: Forgot one

I found

Goodwill:

Pokemon Emerald (with no label...) but for 1.99 

Super Mario Advance 1.99

one of my local half priced books clearanced all their original xbox games for a dollar each. I picked up like 40 games. Nothing too spectacular. the one worth the most was Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition Remix, but I honestly love finding these types of clearances where games are super super cheap.

I went back a few days later and apparently the remaining 30 or so games just got thrown out...

Got some decent stuff at HPB...

All games $1, technically .85 each after coupon. Talked them into making them all $1 each. (I prefer black label games in my collection).

More $1 clearance games. Uncharted 2 GOTY is sealed. War of the Monsters is complete with poster and super minty (as marked). I am happy to finally get a copy of Billy Hatcher.

I noticed they got in a gamecube with a gameboy player. I was able to just buy the GBP for 9.99. The mystery game was a free toss in. Tested it and it works, not sure if it is a bootleg or not. Talked them into dropping the price for the GC games $5 each, so they marked them down to 9.99 and 14.99 respectively.

(again then I stacked a 15% off coupon)

mystery game is Pokemon Ruby.

More to come...

:bouncy:

Here are my finds for the day. I will start by saying I know I overpaid on some of this stuff but I couldn't resist lol.

Picked up these 3 games for $3 a piece but since it was all 3 of them I had to have them.

Picked up these 3 long box PS1 games, I don't see them much so I couldn't pass.

Got this because it was one of my favorite Xbox games.

This thing caught my eye, and I had to have it. I think I used to have one, but I don't remember.

Lastly, it's not really gaming related, but I remember good old 2XL and I guess these tapes go for a little bit on eBay so I picked them up.

I really enjoy seeing everyone's finds, especially pictures, so I'm going to be trying to put them up more often. Good luck guys!

Talked them into making them all $1 each. (I prefer black label games in my collection).

Talked them into dropping the price for the GC games $5 each...
+1 to your haggling skills there good sir, and another +1 for the finds. I have never tried bargaining at HPB before, but I might just now if I see something overpriced but good.

Got some decent stuff at HPB...

All games $1, technically .85 each after coupon. Talked them into making them all $1 each. (I prefer black label games in my collection).

More $1 clearance games. Uncharted 2 GOTY is sealed. War of the Monsters is complete with poster and super minty (as marked). I am happy to finally get a copy of Billy Hatcher.

mystery game is Pokemon Ruby.
wow slowdive, I thought my HPB was good this week...but War of the Monsters? Billy Hatcher? FREE Pokemon Ruby???

super super jealous...

was the billy hatcher complete?

I wonder if the $1 HPB clearance is a nationwide thing...everyone seems to be getting dollar games from their clearance section lately...

I wonder if the $1 HPB clearance is a nationwide thing...everyone seems to be getting dollar games from their clearance section lately...
I routinely see $1, $2, and $3 clearance games at HPB, though I have been seeing more $1 ones recently.

Sometimes they put games in the clearance section if the case is cracked, like many PS1 games, which is a really easy fix.

Decent Finds for once 

Syphon Filter Sealed. 1.99

Warcraft II Battlenet Edition 1.99

Warcraft III Frozen Throne 1.99 (Already had Warcraft III)

Billy Hatcher is complete. I think the only reason it was still there is because it was put out that day and it had a GS sticker over the UPC. The scanners are usually lazy, so they will skip stuff if the label isn't easy to peel off. It is scratched up and I haven't tested it, but I figured for $1 I'll take a risk.

Had a good thrift find today...Tornado Rex board game $1.50. Also picked up Day of Reckoning 2 for the GameCube, complete for a buck.

The HPB clearance stuff is not a nationwide thing. The one I went to this afternoon had the same copy of Lost Planet for 3 bucks that has been there for about 3 months (no cover art either)

Good luck with the search, nice stuff slowdive!

speaking of Half Price Books...I had one of my better scores today. A copy of King of Dragons for the SNES for 3.99. It was also 20% off because of their memorial day sale. 

I didnt know it at the time, but this game goes for ~60 cartridge only online.

I also picked up:

Dreamcast: 

Rayman 2 4.99

They had a bunch of good stuff for the Dreamcast...complete copies of Skies of Arcadia 19.99, Grandia 2 19.99, Crazy Taxi 2.99...but I had all those already.

PSX:

Rayman longbox 4.99

Resident Evil Directors Cut 9.99

free psx memory card was in the rayman case

Snes:

Pilotwings 3.99

Breath of Fire 19.99 (ok maybe this one shouldnt be in this thread lol)

Genesis (cartridge only):

Sonic spinball 2.99

Super Street Fighter 2 2.99

Adventures of Batman and Robin 4.99

Ex-Mutants 5.99

Mystic Defender 4.99

Ghouls N Ghosts 4.99

Dinosaurs for Hire 4.99

Mortal Kombat 3 4.99

Thunderfox 4.99

Ristar 4.99

Even better considering all those prices listed were a further 20% off.

Unfortunately...Ristar didnt work :(. I tried cleaning it, opening it up and cleaning it and nothing. not even the white lettered opening screen. Bummer because I really wanted this game and been looking for it for a while.

Went Savers and actually found a Genesis with 2 controllers (no AC adapter and RF cable looks to be broken) for 5.99. All in all, amazing day, cant complain.

LOL and the one Goodwill still doesnt get it! I see an original Gameboy with 6 crap games for $25.......look to the right and see Pokemon Red cartridge only..........$25! I was only gonna stop into that one when im checking out yardsales and the 2 little stores in the area but I might not even bother anymore!

Saw my friend at another Goodwill and he told me to check out some thrift store I never knew about. They had Playstation/ PS2 games for $2 apiece, Xbox games for $3 apiece, and some 360 games individually priced. Asked the lady about older stuff and she said her son would be back in 15 mins. Went home and ate lunch and went back. He says he'll have to find the box because the fire department said there was too much stuff out in the main area and it was a hazard so they put a bunch of stuff back in storage. 

Im going back Weds, he said something about Super Mario Bros at least being part of it. I got Crazy Taxi 3 for $3, the disc looks brand new! I thought I found Dark Cloud 2 for PS2 but after further examining the artwork was printed and the disc itself was a burnt disc! 

I wish my HPB books had games like the ones posted here! All I found today at the one by my office was a Switchblade Symphony CD for a whole 86 cents.

I did find some stuff at a couple GWs today though. FIrst one had

Gamecube (no cords, open button stuck pretty bad, purple) 9.99

PS1 (no cords) 9.99

Xbob (no cords) 5.99

SNES bundle (2 controllers, hook ups, 6 games including LOZ LTTP, DKC2, SMBAS, SMBAS+SMW, MK3, and wacky sports or something) $95

Could not bite on the SNES, even though it was not a terrible terrible deal. If it was 70 or something, maybe then I would have bought it. But that 5K I just spent on tuition is really fuck en with my head I think.

Next GW had 4 "Teacher Please!" figures for 2.99 each. Small figures, and I am not into that show in particular so I left them for someone else.

I found a beat up Xbox 360 slim for $12.00 but kinda had a lapse of judgement when purchasing it. It was console only, no brick, controller or hard drive installed. I determined it powers on and plays by bringing it to Gamestop (I'm lucky to have good local stores with awesome employees) but now I'm wondering if it's worth buying a brick to test it further or should I just sell the console as is?

The reason for concern is it looks like the console was opened so I'm worried it may have been modded as well. Since the console is for me to use, I don't want to have my account banned (assuming the console isn't banned already) so I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with this type of situation? Is there any way to tell other than actually trying a copied game?

I know if I'm concerned I should cut it loose but I'm cheap!!!

I found a beat up Xbox 360 slim for $12.00 but kinda had a lapse of judgement when purchasing it. It was console only, no brick, controller or hard drive installed. I determined it powers on and plays by bringing it to Gamestop (I'm lucky to have good local stores with awesome employees) but now I'm wondering if it's worth buying a brick to test it further or should I just sell the console as is?

The reason for concern is it looks like the console was opened so I'm worried it may have been modded as well. Since the console is for me to use, I don't want to have my account banned (assuming the console isn't banned already) so I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with this type of situation? Is there any way to tell other than actually trying a copied game?

I know if I'm concerned I should cut it loose but I'm cheap!!!
I would find a brick for it, and make a dummy account to test it out with if you are concerned.

Today, whilst running to the PO, I stopped by a GW on a whim. Picked up the following

Wii- Resident Evil The Umbrella Chronicles (Spotless, has a CN code with it)- $3

Wii- Death Jr. Root of Evil (Spotless)- $3

X (VHS)- .50

Fist of the North Star (VHS)- .50

I am a sucker for FOTNS so it was a no brainer to pick that up. X was just for nostalgia reasons. The Wii games were in the glass counter and this was the same GW I found the 360 games at a few weeks back (they still had TW 08 and YDKJ). Also had a boxed Wii for 49.99.

Picked up two soundtracks for .50 cents a while back: Icewind Dale and Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV: Wall of Fire. Has anyone seen this soundtrack before? The only soundtrack I can find is a Japanese import on ebay, but the writing on the disc is in English.

2zjg75f.jpg

That's the Windows version of the game, not a soundtrack.  Though it likely has redbook audio, so it can function as an audio cd.

That's the Windows version of the game, not a soundtrack. Though it likely has redbook audio, so it can function as an audio cd.
You are correct, my mistake. It automatically launches in Itunes so I assumed it was a soundtrack as well. Thanks for the info.

man it is shit like that that has me wondering...

What Is This Savers You Speak Off, And When Will There Be One In My Area?

Final Fantasy VI for dollar? I'll take a dozen!

Anyways, I managed to find a couple of things lately.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: $3.99 (first non-sports Gamecube game I've seen at a thrift)

Metroid Prime 3 Corruption strategy guide: $1.50 (still had the poster)

Pokemon Puzzle Challenge: $1.99 (I actually like it better than the new Pokemon Trozei for 3DS)

Has anyone else told thrift store staff that World of Warcraft is worthless without the key? I mentioned it and suspect that they might be sticking around on the shelf for a while. >__>

They are expanding. I'm pretty sure they raised the prices so much, that I single handedly gave them enough money to open another location. They are creeping into MO and I would assume PA in the near future.

They are expanding. I'm pretty sure they raised the prices so much, that I single handedly gave them enough money to open another location. They are creeping into MO and I would assume PA in the near future.
Dood. It is like they are flanking my area from the south, planning a surprise attack (with troops attacking from the north as reinforcements)

edit- must resubmit search to 200 miles if you click on the link. That's the problem with Diazepam, you try to be clever and forget how it works... :drool:

Dood. It is like they are flanking my area from the south, planning a surprise attack (with troops attacking from the north as reinforcements)

edit- must resubmit search to 200 miles if you click on the link. That's the problem with Diazepam, you try to be clever and forget how it works... :drool:
... a pincer maneuver :p they are coming from the east as well ! (New York/ Jersey, don't worry I'll get one before you do :D)

For those of you shopping at Savers do you go on the weekends or during the week? I've had great luck at my local one on sat/sun but ever since they moved the game rack from the back of the store to the front by the registers my luck has run out. I'm thinking all the good stuff is picked during the week by people hanging waiting to pay. 

For those of you shopping at Savers do you go on the weekends or during the week? I've had great luck at my local one on sat/sun but ever since they moved the game rack from the back of the store to the front by the registers my luck has run out. I'm thinking all the good stuff is picked during the week by people hanging waiting to pay.
I used to spend several hours a day at savers when they had cheap games and put a lot of stuff out. Most people who resell do that, so you wil probably see epople with scanners spending most of the day there.

I did pretty well today:

PS One Console w/ memory card: $2.99 (always wanted one of the minis... no cables but meh)

Conker Live and Reloaded (Xbox) $2.99

Fable (Xbox): $2.99

DDR Ultramix 4 (Xbox): $2.99

Missile Command (PS1): $2.99 (not sure why I grabbed this....)

Megaman X8 (PS2): $9.99

Mystic Heroes (GC): $2.00

Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (DS): $12.99

X-Men Mutant Apocalypse (SNES): $3.99

Not amazing but I'm fairly happy with the day.

I did pretty well today:

PS One Console w/ memory card: $2.99 (always wanted one of the minis... no cables but meh)

Conker Live and Reloaded (Xbox) $2.99

Fable (Xbox): $2.99

DDR Ultramix 4 (Xbox): $2.99

Missile Command (PS1): $2.99 (not sure why I grabbed this....)

Megaman X8 (PS2): $9.99

Mystic Heroes (GC): $2.00

Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (DS): $12.99

X-Men Mutant Apocalypse (SNES): $3.99

Not amazing but I'm fairly happy with the day.
Looks like Conker fetches about $30. Not bad. Local store was trying to sell a copy for $45, guess they also sell crack along with the video games.

bread's done
Back