2014 Thrift Store Thread - Post your finds here!

picked up a copy of epic mickey for wii, medal of honor pc and bioshock ps2 for $2.

They had a copy of wii fit and the board. Might grab them tomorrow if they are still there.

They had a crap load of old pc games but they either looked incomplete or were just expansions

PS1 Gran Turismo 2 $1.24
CD/DVD Rob Zombie Past, Present and Future $0.99

Just bought these to not leave empty handed. I bet the Rob Zombie DVD is a good watch.

thanks slowdive21, yeah I was a big voltron and transformers fan when i was a kid, so when i saw that box, i knew I was gonna pick it up. Just wish the kid/brother, didn't come the night before the estate sale and take all the vintage toys with him, so i could have gotten all of them together. Oh well, this adds to the hunt and fun to find the toys in the wild I guess :)

I've had a pretty dry couple of weeks around here.  The only thing of interest that i picked up was one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VGP-XL1B2-Media-Changer-also/dp/B000ENU79C

From the Greensburg Goodwill for $30.  More than I typically would spend (since I picked up a 300 disc Sony changer for $10 from the North Huntingdon GW a few months ago).

I still have yet to test it since all of my firewire cables are in storage.

EDIT: And I just realized my PC doesn't have a firewire port.  My laptop has one, but I haven't seen it in nearly six months and I'm assuming it got stolen.  Or one of my kids did a hell of a job losing it.  fuck

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think I ever posted much in this thread before because well...I have never found anything of note.  Until today.  Hadn't been to my local Salvation Army in nearly a month because lately there has been absolutely nothing good to pick up.  Went today...and WOW what a surprise! 

I'll lay it out for you...

Walked into the store, saw the board saying that ALL electronics are 50% off marked prices.  I thought "Meh...probably won't be much left."  Took a walk around, stopping by the home stuff first, kitchen stuff, then the clothing.  No bueno.  Look at the DVDs and VHS tapes.  Still no bueno.  Wander to the electronics area and it looks semi-stocked.  Some old TVs, lots of DVD players, shelf stereo systems, old computer components.  See a PS2 slim sitting on a table nearby.  Thought it was promising but overall it was old, beaten, and the controllers were loose and worn.  No games, no cords.  Not worth the $8 price, even if the 50% discount brought it down to $4.

Walked towards the collectibles area, then looked to their shelf area behind the checkout counter.  Look on the shelves...some golf shoes, another tatty PS2 slim (incomplete), some crappy comics, a VHS collector set of 'Little Women' (LOL).  I glance right below this set and what glory beholds my eyes:

e3f8023c-08f6-4712-9fd4-1ca45eff1428.jpg

YES!  Nintendo 64 Jungle Green bundle with Donkey Kong 64!  Yellow game cart confirms it!  I was too excited to even look what the other 2 games were...or even if the damn thing works!  I immediately ask the worker behind the counter if I can see the set.  Was pretty clean, came with all cords, and besides the 2 extra games there was a memory expansion pack!

Now...I had to hold my containment and put the game face on.  I asked how much it was, and the lady behind the counter says, "It's marked $15 as is."  I go, "But your board at the front of the store says 50% electronics."  She goes, "I don't know if this counts as electronics.".  I say, "But miss, anything that plugs into a wall outlet for power is electronic."  She goes, "OK.  That will be half off of $15, so $7.50 will be your total."  Holy $hit!  $7.50 for all this!  No joke!  I gleefully hand her my debit card with a smile on my face. 

She packs it up in a Walmart recyclable bag, and doesn't charge me extra for it.  The Bible above?  A small stack of them were sitting on the counter.  And it was...FREE!  Was limit 1 per person so I put in in the bag as well.  Was that a sign from the heavens or what??

It took all my gumption to not run out of the store screaming for joy!  Even if this Nintendo 64 ends up being a POS paperweight, I really don't care.  This so far is my biggest score EVER from a thrift store. 

Best $7.50 ever spent.  EVER.  :D/

That story would've had me rolling if the ending was that you'd gotten home and seen the yellow cart was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2. :lol:

That story would've had me rolling if the ending was that you'd gotten home and seen the yellow cart was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2. :lol:
Believe me...the game was the first thing I checked. Luckily there was enough slack in the tape to see half of the Donkey Kong label.

My local Salvation Army has the 50% Off this weekend. However, they give consoles a red tag and exclude it in the sale. As far as I'm aware. If this was at my store, I would be pissed at myself. :lol: 

A Gideon Bible? Aren't those the ones that are usually in hotel rooms? I'd sterilize the shit out of that thing.
LOL I said the same thing. Luckily these were excess from a hotel here that never went to rooms (according to the Salvation Army folks). Spine was still crisp, pages clean, cover clean, seemed like it was hardly opened. But...I might just give it a cleaning anyway...then donate it back.

"So, MasaTFC, what did you find at your stop by the GW this afternoon?"

"Well, CAG, I found a flat tire...when I pulled into the parking lot...on my car."

$20 for the Nintendo stuff- Puyo Pop Fever is missing the manual but has the Health Warning booklet and some Mail In card. Top of the label on Side Pocket doesnt stick anymore but its all there. Other stuff is almost perfect after a good cleaning!

$3 for Resident Evil Code Veronica X complete

$1 for the 1977 Star Wars album- only missing the Mail In card for a tshirt giveaway. Poster, both albums, sleeves are like mint condition. Cover has a few little marks and tears. 

"So, MasaTFC, what did you find at your stop by the GW this afternoon?"

"Well, CAG, I found a flat tire...when I pulled into the parking lot...on my car."
I know the feeling. Had the same thing happen when I pulled in to Kmart back in January. I hit a snow covered pothole and it blew the tire bead, completely ruining the tire. Changing a flat in 0F temps is not fun at all.

I know the feeling. Had the same thing happen when I pulled in to Kmart back in January. I hit a snow covered pothole and it blew the tire bead, completely ruining the tire. Changing a flat in 0F temps is not fun at all.
Yea I tried to do that back on January 6th when it was -13 degrees outside according to my car (my dumbass sibling is a dumbass about cars lets just say). This, today however? I drove 14 miles and had no idea that it was flat till I pulled in because the rim was not bouncing off the ground for some reason. Just glad about that, since the alloy rims for my car are a bit pricey.

E.T. Phone Home Pizza Hut glass $1.99.  E.T. plush from garage sale a week or so back.  Have another classic 80's movie glass I'll be posting in yard sale thread soon.  Still have E.T. on VHS.  My daughter watched it for the first time recently.  Still an awesome movie.

gallery_354731_8396_777366.jpg

E.T. Phone Home Pizza Hut glass $1.99. E.T. plush from garage sale a week or so back. Have another classic 80's movie glass I'll be posting in yard sale thread soon. Still have E.T. on VHS. My daughter watched it for the first time recently. Still an awesome movie.

gallery_354731_8396_777366.jpg
Nice.

Now to complete your ET collection...by buying my 1982 Avon ET Soap with Decal on it (with box and unused for those who think it is questionable)!

I found an FC Loader in the box, looks unused for $8 at a GW.  I went to another GW and was looking at the sports isle and I heard someone in the toy isle say "look at these trains, they're the magentic ones", I stepped over to that isle and the guy was holding a bag of about 8 wooden thomas trains marked $4, he was arguing with his wife if they should buy them.  I waited long enough to see if they put them down and they ended up taking them, i was bummed cuz my kid loves those and they're not cheap, $10 each when new.  After that I walked to the  electronics section and a guy was just bringing new stuff out, he had 3 gray N64 controllers, one with a rumble pak, and one with a memory pak, $4 each.  I grabbed them all. Lost the trains but should be able to make a few bucks selling a couple of the N64 controllers. 

I found a PAL Crystal original xbox with 2 matching crystal controllers + all cords for 24.99. I switched out the PSU with a North American model and bam it works great here in the states now. 

Even more, when looking inside I found its actually chipped. Ive never owned a modchipped xbox before, mainly cause Im not one for pirating, but it was a nice surprise I guess. 

at A GW I found a Target salvaged XBOX One Stereo headset. This thing looked unused. I bought it thinking 15.99 was a good price for it. I had no idea it retailed at 79.99 MSRP. Great deal, the headset, adapter, and usb cable were all in the box.

Also snagged:

Silent Scope Collection $2 xbox

Ico $2 ps2

Need for Speed pro street $2 wii

Half-life Ps2 $2

Tenchu 2 PsX $2

Sealed Wi Remote Plus 9.99

Very good day.

Found a 20v lithium battery for my cordless Black & Decker weed trimmer for $5 at GW.  Those things retail for $50 so I'm very happy with that.

Did... okay I guess today.

DDR Ultramix 3 (XB) $1.99

Control Box for Metal Dance Pad for PS1/PS2/XB/PC: $2.99 (seem to sell for around 40 is why I grabbed it, wish I could find the metal pad, ha ha. No sign of one though and I looked)

Elebits (Wii): $1.99

Switch Box: $2.99

Castle Shikigami 2 (PS2): $3.99

Comfortable Leather Computer Chair: $12.99 (really nice and in great shape, putting this in the game room to be my gaming chair)

Metroid Fusion (GBA): $3.99

Samurai Showdown Anthology (PSP): $7.99

Alien Crush (TG16): $9.99 (passed on Devil Crush for $39.99 here last week... was going to grab it this week but already gone... dang)

F-16 Fighting Falcon (SMS): $4.99 (mainly to see if the card slot on my master system works since the cart slot doesn't. Doesn't really matter that much, I have a Power Base Converter, though apparently this game doesn't work with it)

Did... okay I guess today.

Castle Shikigami 2 (PS2): $3.99

Alien Crush (TG16): $9.99 (passed on Devil Crush for $39.99 here last week... was going to grab it this week but already gone... dang)

F-16 Fighting Falcon (SMS): $4.99 (mainly to see if the card slot on my master system works since the cart slot doesn't. Doesn't really matter that much, I have a Power Base Converter, though apparently this game doesn't work with it)
Castle Shikigami is a solid game. Nice find on the TG-16 game!

I could have sworn there is a card slot on a Power Base Converter though...

Today I picked up

Genesis Model 1 (2 controllers, rf switch and ac adaptor) w/ Golden Axe 2- 9.99

It looks beat to shit, so I imagine it doesn't work. But I really just wanted GA 2.

They also had a Tengen Turbo controller with the box, looked like it was never played and the box was almost mint. If it is there when I go to (potentially) take the genesis back, I will pick it up.

Just Picked up a n64 with a ok ish controller at the unique on my way home for $3.49. Came with all cords hopefully it works when I get home :).

Yup , apparently F16 is the one game incompatible with the power base converter. I'll test tomorrow, got busy tonight.

Some Gamecube Games have been showing up lately. Hopefully in the oncoming weeks, there will be more. But that's just wishful thinking. Purple was Half Off, so I got NBA Street for 1.50. I never owned any of the Dawn of War games when I was younger. Picked it up when I saw it. Ever since I read up on the lore, I became a fan instantly. My favorite races are the Necrons and the Tyranids. My favorite Space Marine Chapters are the Blood Drinkers and Grey Knights (if they count). xD

Ignore the Minecraft. I went to a Target right after and got Minecraft for fun. Haha.

Got a :gc: Godzilla War of the Monsters Melee with no manual for $1.50 yesterday.
I love that game. Sad at the fact that I sold it when I was younger. >< Love to find one in the wild. :lol:

Had great luck today-

Master P Ghetto D (so bad which makes it so good)

Eric B & Rakim Paid In Full

Rock Band 3 (360)

Turok (360)

Oblivion (360)

Resident Evil 4 (PS2)

Onimusha 3 (PS2)

All in really nice shape for 2 bucks (pre discount) a piece! I passed up a lot of things (every Jak/Ratchet and Clank PS2 game, Burnout Revenge, Rainbow Six New Vegas 360, Moto GP 06 360, Lego Batman DS among some highlights) because I could not justify the purchases even at 2 bucks a piece. Ended up leaving Warhammer Firewalker (PS2) and 24 (PS2) at the register.

I also had a strange luck find. In the CD rack, there was a digipack copy of Opeth "Still Life" which I intended to buy. But when I opened it up it had a copy of Inuyasha Curse of the Mask (or whatever) for PS2, which kind of made it a little better of a buy (since I have a deluxe edition of Still Life anyway. Was going to sell that one, but now I will just keep the extra case).

That particular Warhammer game is pretty bad ass I must say, especially compared to some other titles. Good stuff!

I haven't been able to go thrift shopping as much as I'd like in the past month, and subsequently the best thing I've picked up since then was a Nyko Worm light and an Interact car adapter $2 bundled.  I didn't know those worm lights were somewhat worthwhile, I used to always pass them by before.

I'm the same, haven't been to many thrift stores at all. I did have a day off today though and went out in the morning, grabbed a few things.

Some Zumba and fitness games for the 360 at $1 each

.hack outbreak for the PS2 for $2

Mario Kart 7 for $15. Complete and mint, I don't think it was ever used.

I'm on a Mario Kart kick lately thanks to MK8 so finding 7 for a good price was awesome.

Finally got something worth writing about.

Chapelle's Show Volume 1 and 2 for $0.50 each.

My wife got a pile of mason jars for $1.00 each, she uses them for crafts or whatever. We see them at yard sales and flea markets, and people want a ton for them.

Got a Scott Weiland 12 bar blues CD for $0.50.

She got several good recent release (past 6-12 months) books $0.50.

I got some cool witchcraft spell book for $0.50.

Seems like my Goodwill has made all CDs, DVDs, and books $0.50 now. Used to be a buck or 2 each.

Finally got something worth writing about.

Chapelle's Show Volume 1 and 2 for $0.50 each.

My wife got a pile of mason jars for $1.00 each, she uses them for crafts or whatever. We see them at yard sales and flea markets, and people want a ton for them.

Got a Scott Weiland 12 bar blues CD for $0.50.

She got several good recent release (past 6-12 months) books $0.50.

I got some cool witchcraft spell book for $0.50.

Seems like my Goodwill has made all CDs, DVDs, and books $0.50 now. Used to be a buck or 2 each.
Post a pic of the Witchcraft book, I am curious...

I will tell ya, any time you find mason jars (especially with the lid) you should buy them. They can be flipped very easily. I used to date a girl whom made candles and she was always looking for them. Believe it or not, some "older" ones can fetch a nice price.

I will tell ya, any time you find mason jars (especially with the lid) you should buy them. They can be flipped very easily. I used to date a girl whom made candles and she was always looking for them. Believe it or not, some "older" ones can fetch a nice price.
I live in the Midwest, so I find these all the time. The ones to look for are green (not blue) or brown. The blue Ball jars are pretty common. Also, if they have a ground lip on the finish it is at least from the mid 1890's. I've actually found unopened packages of zinc lids and rubber split rings, the type of lid you want is a circular ring with a glass insert.

Certain ones can be worth hundreds or even thousands but it's mostly older generations that collect them, so there is a possibility the market for them can drop.

Xbox One controller- $25

N64 games- $3 apiece

PS2 controller- $2 

Disney Infinity Pad/pieces- $5. Its the Xbox 360 base after looking up the number on the bottom. Captain Jack doesnt have the stand anymore so hes worthless. Everything else looks fine. I guess it doesnt work with the free PC version?

Went back today to see if the DI game showed up, it did not. Grabbed these for $3 apiece, no system to be found sadly.

got a game gear bag like this LINK (ebay) for $3.99
I got the exact same bag in a Game Gear lot I picked up earlier this year for around $30 (there were Pokemon games in the lot, so I had no choice). It's pretty nice.

I found a sealed Lego set (70403) for $2.99 today. It looks pretty awesome. Usually my Goodwill puts crazy expensive prices on boxes of open legos so I was pumped to see this one for so cheap. Also grabbed a Legend of Dragoon (Greatest Hits) for $.99.

And the lukewarm streak continues. 

The other day my closest GW had a ton of Wii games, but mostly shovelware, sports and GH/Rockband.  I did pick up Carnival Games and a sealed copy of Tiger Woods All-Play 09 for $3/each.

I almost crapped myself when I spotted a PS3 case on the shelf - GTA 5.  I opened it up and sure enough, the game was gone but everything else was there.  Who in the fuck is so goddamn pathetic that they can't dish out $3 for a fuck ing complete copy of a game that still sells for 40+ everywhere, and just decides to steal the disc??

Oh, and that Sony Vaio media center I posted last week has a calibration issue.  I'm 95% sure the belt is worn out, and sadly, it seems they are impossible to find now.

bread's done
Back