2014 Yardsale thread

It's probably more of a fond memory to us older guys. I'm not sure it is necessarily any different than The Last Dragon, or Big Trouble in Little China in terms of quality. It isn't as good as ET or Raiders, but it has its place in our hearts and minds.
The Last Dragon...

Now, when I say, "Who's da mastah?" you say, "Sho'nuff!"

Another classic movie. Thank you for bringing that one up

I've never seen the goonies. I'm guessing its good from the love I see for it here.
Truffle shuffle

201110_truffleshuffle1.jpg

This statue scene is funny.

goonies-3.jpg

Goonies "Sloth to the rescue" glass 25 cents.

Do I have any gems or rare games in this lot? Enjoy.

Not pictured $5 Longboard. Cruised this around the neighborhood and it is fun. Seems more stable at higher speeds than my regular board.
Work Sucks. The Goonies Rule.

I would add that Culdcept Saga is a rare game, could easily get 25 for it alone.

Nice pick up on the long board. Ever since I picked up that board at the GW a few weeks ago my GF is all like "I want a long board!!!"

Knights of the Old Republic II and Morrowind GOTY are each worth $25+. Both are great games, but people say it's tough to go back to Morrowind after playing Oblivion and Skyrim.

A tip about Xbox sports games for the future: always keep your eye out for Madden 09 for the regular Xbox, especially if you can get it cheap. It was one of the last games for the system, and it's pretty uncommon. It's a nice flip, but most people pass it up simply because it's an "old sports game".
That's interesting about Madden 09. Thanks for the tip!

I've never seen the goonies. I'm guessing its good from the love I see for it here.

It's probably more of a fond memory to us older guys. I'm not sure it is necessarily any different than The Last Dragon, or Big Trouble in Little China in terms of quality. It isn't as good as ET or Raiders, but it has its place in our hearts and minds.
Eh, I guess you are right. My girlfriend has never seen it (it was playing at a local theater a few weeks back one night, but we missed it because we were out of town). BTILC is one of my absolute favorite movies of all time. I swear I have watched it 300+ times. I would take either over ET anyday, although The Goonies may be better (in terms of quality) than BTILC.

The Last Dragon? Don't even get me started on that... :D/ :beer: :whee:

I blame my husband, he bought it for me to watch it when he found out I've never seen it, and I still haven't seen it. Other than that, the only excuse I have is I think at my 25 years I was too young when it came out to have seen it? Although maybe not too young since my husband is only 8 years older and loves it. I did introduce him to Star Wars though if that helps :D

Please keep making videos of a bedspread with voice overs. lol You got to cut these down do like 5 minutes man, you are killing me!

I blame my husband, he bought it for me to watch it when he found out I've never seen it, and I still haven't seen it. Other than that, the only excuse I have is I think at my 25 years I was too young when it came out to have seen it? Although maybe not too young since my husband is only 8 years older and loves it. I did introduce him to Star Wars though if that helps :D
Its cool, I was just busting your chops.

That is about the same age difference between myself and my girlfriend. Its funny how a few years can demonstrate pop culture like that. It goes both ways too I should add, I missed out on things she is all about!

It would be perfect for a stay at home date night!

Last edited by a moderator:
My last GF...(well IDK what to call her) was 8 years younger than me. I think 8-9 years is the max you can be apart or the age gap will be overwhelming. She was talking about finding nemo and I was like, yeah I never saw that.

I remember talking to my friend's sister who is 11 years younger than me and I said something about Michael Jackson being black and she said: "MICHAEL JACKSON IS NOT BLACK!"  I said, "Well he used to be and off the wall is his best album, so you should pick that up on your itunes".  I should also add that I own an ipod that I won in a contest and I never opened it. I actually have never tried to use an ipod before or iphone (or any mp3 player for that matter).

EDIT: BTW I just bought another copy of Off the Wall on vinyl at a garage sale along with Huey Lewis Sports, but I haven't been taking pics of my record finds lately.

I dunno, my mom is 12 years older than my dad and they work well, every couple is different. You should check out Finding Nemo, its a terrific film.

Please keep making videos of a bedspread with voice overs. lol You got to cut these down do like 5 minutes man, you are killing me!
haha, dude i'm trying to tell the stories behind the finds, figured people enjoyed that part. I like to hear people tell me how they found stuff and what it cost. I guess not...

[quote name="Ironman8" post="11805471" timestamp="1401600681"]Friday morning finds before work. This community sale was hard to miss for work. The neighborhood is so big and so many sales. I only went from 7:30 to 8:30. Usually have to go by 8 but told the boss I'd be a little late. I only hit a small fraction of the sales and missed all day Saturday due to swim meet. I could only imagine how big this haul would have been with Friday and Saturday combined. Three other community sales around the same area as the big one.

Games and CD's $1 each. Kinks is sealed. Encyclopedia and marbles 50 cents. Goonies "Sloth to the rescue" glass 25 cents.

gallery_354731_8396_52035.jpg

Risk Star Wars $1. Risk is one of my favorites. Tip to Risk fans. For fast and 1 player Risk try PS2 version. It is a surprisingly fun game for Risk fans. Games are much shorter and you can play against computer.

gallery_354731_8396_466430.jpg

This is my best XBOX lot ever. These are adult owned and in perfect shape. I only noticed 1 used the rest looked to be purchased new. I walked up and saw 2 boxes of games. The homeowner kindly informed me games are a $1 each. The pricing caught me off guard as these are nice games. I quickly pulled out 28 games leaving sports and driving games. We counted up the games to 28 and he says "take 2 more and I will give them to you for $25". He talked himself down. I think he was happy these were going to a fellow gamer. Missing from the pic is Dead to Rights II. Yes there is one PS2 game in there. I'm a longtime Playstation guy and am not as familiar with XBOX games. Do I have any gems or rare games in this lot? Enjoy.

gallery_354731_8396_947404.jpg

Not pictured $5 Longboard. Cruised this around the neighborhood and it is fun. Seems more stable at higher speeds than my regular board. [/quote]you got a longboard for FIVE DOLLARS?! What type of board is it?

I moved to a new place this weekend, but nevertheless I managed to hit a couple of sales.

Friday: While going to pick up my dad's truck to use for the move I hit up a yard sale near him that's advertising "pokemon." I get there and it's just a binder of individually priced cards, no games at all. Bah.

Saturday: On my way to get doughnuts for my friends helping with the move I check out a "leaving the country, everything must go" sale. There's a complete PS2 slim and a few disc only games (God of War, Kingdom Hearts, FF10, etc.), but they want $50 for it. Noooooope. They've also got a sign up that says they're selling hard covers for $5 each, and they turn away a little kid who wants a soft cover but doesn't have money on him. For people that were trying to get rid of their stuff, they sure weren't acting like it.

Sunday: My brother sends my an ad for a nearby sale advertising games, and since I always have trouble sleeping in a new space I get up early to check it out. I pick up a PS1 mini w/o cords, 3 PS2 racing games, a PS1 fishing controller, and a PS2 power glove looking thing for $7. I ask about Nintendo, but one of the other people helping out with the sale says they're a major Nintendo fan and not selling their stuff. Ah well.

Hopefully I get enough unpacked this week so I can go yardsaling in earnest on Saturday!

haha, dude i'm trying to tell the stories behind the finds, figured people enjoyed that part. I like to hear people tell me how they found stuff and what it cost. I guess not...
I'm just messing with you. I listened to this one while I was working on other stuff. Keep the videos coming!

Here is a quick find:

She wanted $15 for these and wouldn't sell them separately, paid $10. I'm happy just to get a copy of SFA2. At first it wasn't working consistently after my initial cleaning, so I spent some more time and made sure I cleaned it more thoroughly and it is working, but the picture is a little fuzzy. I'm not sure if it is that particular snes or the game itself. I just wanted to make sure it worked, but I might have to buy a SNES bit to take it apart. I can't touch one of these for under $25 on amazon, so I am happy with it.

EDIT: The games were really dirty and most likely garbage picked.

:bouncy:

more to come...

EDIT: The games were really dirty and most likely garbage picked.
I dont understand why so much yardsale stuff is filthy. Are people that dirty? The things are covered in actual dirt and crud - not just dusty. I don't understand where the myseterious brown gunk comes from that seems to coat so much stuff at yardsales.

I could go into my closet, basement or attic and pull out anything and it wouldn't be covered in that filth. Dust on old stuff makes sense, but so many things are covered in a filth like they pulled it out of a dumpster.

[quote name="Dokstarr" post="11808347" timestamp="1401723038"]I dont understand why so much yardsale stuff is filthy. Are people that dirty? The things are covered in actual dirt and crud - not just dusty. I don't understand where the myseterious brown gunk comes from that seems to coat so much stuff at yardsales.

I could go into my closet, basement or attic and pull out anything and it wouldn't be covered in that filth. Dust on old stuff makes sense, but so many things are covered in a filth like they pulled it out of a dumpster.[/quote]

Children who handle things with dirty, filthy hands. Kids are unbelievingly dirty, and usually have little or no respect for the expensive electronics parents hand to them. They eat potato chips and other food then handle their games and controllers without washing their hands.... Eventually all that crud just builds up on games....My neighbor lets his kid sit on the grass where his dogs ahem... go all the time with no clothes on the kid... Enough said.

I appreciate the pic but no time for video.

Congrats on the finds.

Some people do like that, not sure many here like talking head (or in this case, talking bed sheet) videos though.

[quote name="Ironman8" post="11808287" timestamp="1401721721"]Not a surfboard. It's a cheapy skateboard. SpeedDemon I think.[/quote]speed demon boards suck balls you need to get some good wheels and trucks on that mo fo

Im almost to the point giving up on yard sales. My area either they want too much and there is many resellers.

Keep up with the yard sale finds. I enjoy reading and seeing everyone finds

Are you mainly going by ads that mention video games or just hitting random houses? In my experience, I have the best luck from random houses where I ask if they have any games that they're getting rid of.

I ask at 90% of houses about video games. About 2 weeks ago I got a small bag of NES and N64 games for $10 because I asked. It included Dragon Warrior 3, Batman Returns, Goldeneye, Genghis Kahn and a handful of others.

I only don't bother once in a great while when the people seem nasty, or they are chatting it up and have no interest in the sale in general.

Asking has also sometimes helped me find stuff that I would've missed in the sale. Stuck in some box or below some other things.

Three weeks ago I got a SNES with All-Stars, Boogerman, Mario World and a few other commons for $5 because I asked and there was a SNES in a box below an old cam corder I didn't see.

Got a pretty decent item on Saturday, though no gaming related stuff other than a car charger for a ds and a crystal case holder for ds games (50cents each).

The same sale that had the charger/case had a 23 inch LG monitor, and the sales were pretty terrible at that point so I thought I'd go ahead and risk it and purchase it, it was a bit dirty but didn't have any real physical damage to it that I could tell, but even then, I just assumed it wouldn't work and decided to risk the 3 bucks.  I'm glad I did.

Got this awesome 23'' monitor for 3 bucks:

http://imgur.com/a/ntkD4#0

Sorry, don't know how to compress images to embed them.

Amazon page for the monitor: http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-W2361V-23-inch-Monitor-50000/dp/B00261VAMI

5-10-14

Asked about games and this guy said he had a NES with 30 or so games, but he wanted $50 for it firm (and that he was going to put it on craigslist). I asked to see the lot and I ended up buying it.

When I photographed the lot, this was supposed to be my last pic, but I noticed a hidden gem after I took my pics...so there is one more group of games below this one

Lower left ;) (bomberman 2). Sometimes luck is on my side!

more to come...

Whomp Em, Ninja Gaiden 3, Battletoads, Castlevania, Bomberman 2, Mario Bros, Adventure Island 3, thats 200 right there... awesome lot, I'm very jealous.

That NES lot is a fantastic find. Would have spent $50 on it my self, super clean looking by the pictures.
Well they were dirty, this is after I cleaned them up. ;)

Awesome NES lot slow! Pics look good from your new HTC One.
How did you know it was from my HTC? Is there an image properties thing on them? :shock:

----

I was able to fill in a few gaps with this lot, so that was the best part about it. IDK if I have mentioned this or if it is common knowledge or not, but I am trying to get every NES (standard release) game. I'm finally at a point where most of them are cleaned and in the same place (I have about 35 games to clean still), so I will be inventorying them soon.

How are you doing with some of the more 'expensive' ones?
I probably don't have them. I passed on a stadium events a few years ago. The seller wanted $200 or $250 for it IIRC, but I would never pay that. I should also add 95%-99% of my "retro" collection is from thrift stores and garage sales (the rest were from when I was a kid), so I didn't pay much for any of them (most $1 or less). I do not have bubble bobble 2, bonks adventure (which is a big want...I don't even have it on turbografix16 and it came with the system) or Flintstones. I think I have all the obscure "kids" games though ("color a dinosaur" being one of them).

Honestly, I don't even know what I have or what the best games are, I just figured I should make a goal. :lol:

Eventually I will post them (again? - I may have posted a year or two ago, but I can't find it) in the collection thread.

EDIT: I just checked my profile looking for the post and I noticed I have 3000 profile views. Equistina was number 3000. :) (but in fairness she was probably the last couple hundred) haha I kid, I kid.

Getting all NES games is a noble goal. I've been working at that over the years and avoiding paying retail. I've managed to get some gems out of it. Loose Bonk, Complete Little Samson, Complete Panic Restaraunt. Those ended up costing me probably like a few dollars each in craigslist pick ups.

Very nice. Very unlikely you'll get Stadium Events though if you won't go 200-250. They sell for around 3000 now. You could get lucky I suppose but this one truly is rare.

I probably don't have them. I passed on a stadium events a few years ago. The seller wanted $200 or $250 for it IIRC, but I would never pay that. I should also add 95%-99% of my "retro" collection is from thrift stores and garage sales (the rest were from when I was a kid), so I didn't pay much for any of them (most $1 or less). I do not have bubble bobble 2, bonks adventure (which is a big want...I don't even have it on turbografix16 and it came with the system) or Flintstones. I think I have all the obscure "kids" games though ("color a dinosaur" being one of them).

Honestly, I don't even know what I have or what the best games are, I just figured I should make a goal. :lol:

Eventually I will post them (again? - I may have posted a year or two ago, but I can't find it) in the collection thread.

EDIT: I just checked my profile looking for the post and I noticed I have 3000 profile views. Equistina was number 3000. :) (but in fairness she was probably the last couple hundred) haha I kid, I kid.
So where's my prize? :p

5-10-14

Asked about games and this guy said he had a NES with 30 or so games, but he wanted $50 for it firm (and that he was going to put it on craigslist). I asked to see the lot and I ended up buying it.

When I photographed the lot, this was supposed to be my last pic, but I noticed a hidden gem after I took my pics...so there is one more group of games below this one

Lower left ;) (bomberman 2). Sometimes luck is on my side!

more to come...
Nice find. Is it me or does these old school video game systems hold up vs these current ones? (breaking, not working, etc)

And I just happen to have a (very beat up) box for that TMNT 2 game, if you were to desire one that is.

Slowdive, If you are interested, I'm still liquidating my nes collection so let me know if you are looking for something. I have about 650 nes games left.

Slowdive, If you are interested, I'm still liquidating my nes collection so let me know if you are looking for something. I have about 650 nes games left.

Very nice. Very unlikely you'll get Stadium Events though if you won't go 200-250. They sell for around 3000 now. You could get lucky I suppose but this one truly is rare.
Even cart only? I picked one up and have been checking every once in awhile but all I ever see sell is PAL or CIB.

How did you know it was from my HTC? Is there an image properties thing on them? :shock:
Slowdive don't get technology and all the pics I post are from a HTC One. I've been taking quite a few pics and the HTC pics have a certain look to me. You and anyone who is interested should check out my nature pics in my gallery. There are only 15 to 20 photos in the gallery so far. It's not a yard sale find but this is where I enjoy sharing. So....here is an amazing nature find this week at work taken from my HTC One.

gallery_354731_7804_556254.jpg

Here is the link to my CAG nature gallery. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/gallery/album/7804-ironman8-nature/. I have a few more I might post of them. Comments are welcomed and appreciated in my gallery.

BTW the pic of the inmate on your phone was some messed up stuff. I followed your link to SD and can see why you were a little freaked out.

Samsung DVD Player, Gameboy Advance SP, Yoshi's Island, Pokémon, Super Old MP3 Player, TI-83 Calculator, Brand New Audio Headphones, Nautica Watch, Emporio Armani Sunglasses, Conair Hair Straightener

All for $20. The gameboy is silver, 2 gameboy games are real, and there was a flash cart in the sp. I don't know anything about the flash cart. Anyway the guy wouldn't go lower. I'm not sure how I did so please let me know if I paid too much. I'm still learning what a decent or good price on stuff when go to these yard sales.

Samsung DVD Player, Gameboy Advance SP, Yoshi's Island, Pokémon, Super Old MP3 Player, TI-83 Calculator, Brand New Audio Headphones, Nautica Watch, Emporio Armani Sunglasses, Conair Hair Straightener

All for $20. The gameboy is silver, 2 gameboy games are real, and there was a flash cart in the sp. I don't know anything about the flash cart. Anyway the guy wouldn't go lower. I'm not sure how I did so please let me know if I paid too much. I'm still learning what a decent or good price on stuff when go to these yard sales.
You did a fine job with that pickup. Sell the TI 83 to pay for the whole lot. Gameboy advance sp worth at least 40.

You need a cool punisher avatar if your gonna be posting. Just a thought.

Doh! Now I feel like a chump. 650, I think I only have about 400. I think I will keep my games form my childhood out of the collection and maybe have the only? 100% thrift and yard sale collated collection...

Oh yeah iornman that was a weird problem. It seems ok after the wipe and I now have everything encrypted. I think it was a corrupted gamestop app, but that is just a guess.

That FF Legend 2 reminded me how jealous I am of my brother right now. The other week he picked up FF Legend, FF Legend 2, and Legend 3 all CiB for $1 each (in addition to a bunch of other $1 CiB Gameboy games). I think the fact that I didn't sucker punch him and make off with the lot while visiting the other week speaks volumes about how good of a brother I am.

bread's done
Back