2014 Yardsale thread

Anyone ever find PS3 systems? I hope to find one for cheap at a yard sale. I see 360s occasionally but seeing a PS3 is very rare.

Not gonna try Craigslist because I got scammed the one time I bought one. The PS3 stopped working after 5 days. Sucks because I tested it when I bought it and it was working fine. 

Luckily I bought it cheap enough that I got almost all of money back by selling the stuff on eBay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been reading this thread for awhile and seen some awesome stuff that people have found. I've been finding some cool stuff at yard sales for a couple years now and wanted to share what I've found. 

Here's what i have found this past weekend. 

PS1 Games - seller wanted $2 each.. 

2754e020-7470-47d6-9382-393eab365f1c.jpg

360 games - owner originally wanted $10 each but bundled the ps1 games with mass effect and left for dead and got them all for $25.

Went back immediately after and bought call of duty 4 for $5 lol 

461821b8-f139-470f-ab1b-a9597e3617e7.jpg

Next sale i hit had DVDs for 50 cents and 2 TV seasons for $1 each 

c33fd634-40cb-4175-bbf8-8b890ee06b96.jpg

76648f1a-2b33-450c-8536-2399f78423cb.jpg

The next few photos are from past yard sale finds.

Black label Final Fantasy 7,8,9 and tactics 50 cents each. This was my first really good find from a couple years ago, i still haven't taken off the sticker prices lol 

9985ea3b-cfbd-49c0-a182-682cf993ff98.jpg

Same sale had the guides too! 25 cents each.

52680847-19e2-4827-88dc-25bbf3cbab6e.jpg

Parasite Eve $1 

f78a5b3b-5dac-4af6-9dff-9a85f3587bc7.jpg

PS3 games , Think i got these for like $12 for all. 

b334a054-b142-40df-9e66-1e56b6dea391.jpg

PS2 games that i got from a storage sale $2 each. 

26a35464-915b-4b15-a662-9ff3eab610bc.jpg

Conkers Bad Fur Day and Zelda Majora's Mask Hologram version, kinda paid more than usual on these two , Think i paid around $45 for both. The owner knew what conkers was worth and wouldnt go any less on it. this was my 2nd time finding conkers bad fur day at a yard sale. First one i found was in a box full of great games and consoles. Conkers had its box and manuals and got the  whole box for $20 lol ill show pics of what was in that box later. 

5f1d48e8-fe9c-4991-a43a-aba822628f3b.jpg

Ill post more of my finds later :) hope you enjoyed this. 

Anyone ever find PS3 systems? I hope to find one for cheap at a yard sale. I see 360s occasionally but seeing a PS3 is very rare.

Not gonna try Craigslist because I got scammed the one time I bought one. The PS3 stopped working after 5 days. Sucks because I tested it when I bought it and it was working fine.

Luckily I bought it cheap enough that I got almost all of money back by selling the stuff on eBay.
Yeah I bought a CIB 500 GB Gran Turismo bundle for $175 with an extra dualshock and 4 or 5 games earlier this season. I've passed on a couple of others though.

Well my free broken Wii system works and turns on but the whole front panel is ripped off, it doesn't read disks but connects to the internet and does everything else it's supposed to do. Unfortunately it didn't have any digital games on it that could be moved to my wii U. My kingdom hearts.. Also turned out to be KH II so I am happy with that.

Picked up super robot taisen ds at gamestop for $25 cart only (Difficult to find)

killzone 3 CE Gamestop.

Not game related, but pick up a display model of the Canon MG6320 for $13.50 + 20% off = $11.45 from staples.  I needed a printer and hey, this is the cheapest I can find. Any tips to clean the top cover? They had the display stickers on it. Is Goo Gone safe to use on it? I never used it before.

I also got a Staples Strobelle Office Chair for $17.50. It's pretty nice and comes with a 5 year warranty. 

I havent had any luck with yard sales. Mostly other non related game stuff and if I do see any games, its mostly kids games.

A newbie here, inspired with the posts and pics in this thread. Thought I'd give it a shot the past weekend to build up my collection.

Not bad for a first try...N64 SSB, Mario Party 2 and 3 and some Gamecube games as well

Got some good news today. Scored my first full time job at FastSigns. It will be a month long but it will give me some good design experience.

The bad news- no more yard sales on Fridays :( I guess there's always Saturday but I don't find as many good deals.

Got some good news today. Scored my first full time job at FastSigns. It will be a month long but it will give me some good design experience.

The bad news- no more yard sales on Fridays :( I guess there's always Saturday but I don't find as many good deals.
Congrats on the job!

I've never looked for yard sales on Fridays. Is that the best day? I'm off work on Fridays so I will have to give it a try.

I actually haven't been to a yardsale since I was a little kid. This new retron 5 console is making me want to hit up a few yard sales this weekend.

I've never looked for yard sales on Fridays. Is that the best day? I'm off work on Fridays so I will have to give it a try.

This new retron 5 console is making me want to hit up a few yard sales this weekend.
In my area Thursday is traditionally the first day of a sale, but in "younger" areas the start day is usually friday. This all varies by geographic area though...

That reminds me, I saw a retron type console with pacman, mario bros, and donkey kong (NES games) and I asked what she was trying to get for it. She said "My husband said $150, since the system alone costs that." :nottalking:

I am not familiar with the repro systems, but this was a little black, made in china, square with a grey top loader cartridge slot.

---

I've been cleaning like a madman, so I won't be posting any finds. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to post a few things.

So this weekend I'm hitting up a local flea market that's actually billed as a Toy Show. The flyer actually has an NES and games on it so I'm hoping there will actually be some games. I'm just worried about it being nothing but resellers charging ebay prices. Any tips as this is the first one of these events I've going to?

Any tips as this is the first one of these events I've going to?
Don't get your hopes up.

If you expect to find anything at a decent price at one of those, you pretty much have to show up at open time. Even then most of the other booth owners shop each other for the good stuff before open to feed their own booths.

Just know what you're looking at, know what the value is, decide what you would pay and stick to it.

Wow you all stepped your game up.

BTW Rob, "Video Game Hoarder"? Totally trademark infringement...and it is "MAR-E-O", not "Merio". Every time I hear it I cringe.

I'm not familiar with the xbox live cards, but isn't it possible that that one isn't activated?

My bad brother man, just something people call me in one of the other sites I'm on so I went with it. I'm willing to share in the royalties

for the name :) And as far as I know on the cards, they are active already but i could be wrong on that. Guess I'll find out in December when my current live sub runs out...

Been away from the sales the last few weeks, damn grown up life keeps getting in the way! Hope to find some good stuff this weekend...I did find my lost copy of Double Dash the other night though...

I'm just worried about it being nothing but resellers charging ebay prices.
That is pretty much it. Have fun! lol

Your really only chance for anything good is to trade to another collector if you have something rare.

On a side note I was happy to see one of the DVDs I picked up this weekend is apparently rare. Cheapest on amazon is 125 - so even though I know won't get that I can at least aim high.

I am not too far away, but I could not justify driving up there to buy those things for what they probably will go for
The way they're treating them in that picture they may not value them high. You would think they'd take care to neatly organize them if they recognized their value. I know I picked up a similar lot at an estate sale for $50 a year or two ago.

I would guess they would take anywhere from $5-$20 for the whole lot. I have family about 30 minutes from there, but IDT they would drive over just for that stuff. In theory estate sales are more expensive, but they are also empty boxes. It depends on who is running it though.

I didn't buy anything amazing today, but I did purchase a few video game lots. Saw a copy of Twilight Princess for "$30 FIRM" on GC. She wouldn't take less because "they sell for $40 on ebay".

I have a woman setting aside some NES stuff for me once she digs it out and 2 that are supposed to follow up with me.

If they are saving empty boxes then they obviously know they have some value. Though how much value is doubtful... They would be more valuable to someone who already owns the games and manuals. Most people throw these things out.

If this sale is run by a company then you can expect eBay prices or more... But everything often goes 50% off on the last day of the sale so it's possible to get deals then.

If they are saving empty boxes then they obviously know they have some value. Though how much value is doubtful...
I got 20 empty N64 boxes including Mario Kart 64 and Killer Instinct from an estate sale once including (complete) FF7 and other PS1 games all for $20...he even advertised them in the listing. So you never know.

I got 20 empty N64 boxes including Mario Kart 64 and Killer Instinct from an estate sale once including (complete) FF7 and other PS1 games all for $20...he even advertised them in the listing. So you never know.
See slow knows what he is talking about Sara. :p

Usually an estate means a person died, so in theory they may have no idea of the value.

But a general rule of thumb would be $1 a box. Obviously there are a lot of factors here, but realistically I would see them either having a cheap group price for the bin or $1 each.

---------

Good luck everyone! I have 2 follow ups tomorrow. I can't believe all 3 people got back to me. I met up and dropped $155 a few minutes ago at my first follow up. Now I need to make a stop at the bank tomorrow when they open. ;)

See slow knows what he is talking about Sara. :p

Usually an estate means a person died, so in theory they may have no idea of the value.
Depends on the area. Around here estate sales often mean that a family is moving and selling most of their stuff. It usually means that it is being sold by a third party. Some of them know their stuff, some don't.

Estate is used a lot more loosely now. ;) I agree there are a lot of unknown factors.

2 out of 3 follow ups aren't bad. The 3rd lady was apologetic. She was smoking hot, so I wasn't too upset to see her again. Her husband decided to keep their NES.

I did get a few gems today. It is really hot and after 11 am, so I am done for the day. There may be some far away sales, but I went to the next town over and hit a few, but there was already a "game guy" hitting that area that had cherry picked the good stuff.

I have one follow up tomorrow, but I have a feeling it will be more recent stuff.

So I tried a little freestyling today, since the general consensus seems to be that's the way to find stuff. I was really tempted by a sale claiming to have all sorts of Nintendo games etc., but luckily they posted photos and I could tell that they were resellers getting rid of excess. True they could have missed something but the sale was over an hour away anyway so I didn't want to make the drive.

Found a sub-division sale and hit about ten houses. Nothing great. One guy had games but he wanted too much for them. When I asked if he had Gameboy games, he asked, "DS?" and I said "sure". He pulled them out of his pocket for some reason and then asked for $30 (there were four and they were shovelware). 

I almost gave up, but I stopped at one last place. This guy had some cool stuff, like a Lunar hand puppet in the box and video game guides. I picked them up and was getting set to pay his wife and leave, when he trucks out into the garage and plops a box down. I look in the box and it's full of CIB Sega games. And the Master System. And he had the box for the Master system. We haggled a bit and I bought it all for $20. He also said his mom was cleaning out her basement and they might have a Saturn down there. Left him my phone number, I hope he calls back, would love that Saturn.

Thanks for all of your posts, you keep me inspired and that's how I found something cool like this.

[customspoiler='Pics!'][sharedmedia=gallery:images:24259]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:24260]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:24261]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:24262]
[/customspoiler]

[quote name="yourlefthand" post="11876743" timestamp="1403880248"]Depends on the area. Around here estate sales often mean that a family is moving and selling most of their stuff. It usually means that it is being sold by a third party. Some of them know their stuff, some don't.[/quote]

Over here estate normally means an inside house sale run by a company. But as I said most of these companies here do 50% off the last day of the sale so that is when to jump in and get the deals. Once in a while you get an estate/moving sale run by the family who owns the house ( this is what you want) but that is rare around here, these people are far more likely to bargain and have lower prices then the ones run by companies. The good thing is if it's run by a company they almost always put their name on the ad so you can tell right away and after a while in the same area you can easily tell which companies are overpriced and which are not.

Moving sale... Someone is leaving the area

Estate sale .... an old person died and the family is selling off their assets

At least that goes for my area

The moving sale is more desireable than the estate sale, because if someone is moving they are more likely to get rid of things for a cheap price or they have to either haul it with them or thow it out.

Finally!

Gamecube in box with 2 controllers. and minty complete....MP 5, Zelda Ocarina, WWalker, Melee, Harvest Moon, Resident Evil.....+ 3 SWars original XBox games.... $30.... yes!

Just got trolled. I found a Mario Party 8 case for $1 with wii spoorts resport in it. Picked it up anyway In case I find a disc only copy down the road. I think I already have 1 or two complete copies.

Picked up some good stuff from a dude that looked like he was tweeking on something while I was on my way to get a burrito.

Stopped into the library to check my emails, got to get that burrito still. I hope to see some pics when I get home!

No picks but I did... fine I guess today.

Gundam Battle Assault 2 (ps1 disc only) 2.00

Pretty uncommon game. Happy to grab it out of a good 40 crap games.

That was my only buy until 10:30, thought the yard sale gods were out to get me but then I found a sale with a PSP and a GBA SP for 10 and 5. Passed on the psp due to a broken stick but grabbed the sp. A bit beat up but the screen is good.

Had a copy of Fire Red in it. Asked about other games and they brought out a box with two more Pokemon (ruby and sapphire) which she threw in for free. Also some ds/wii stuff she asked 2 each for. Cases for mario kart and new mario were empty but grabbed Mario Strikers for Wii and Sonic Chronicles for DS.

Then at a late sale got a nice shape dual shock 3 with a charging cradle for 5.00.

Stopped at Half Price Books on the way home. Nothing fantastic but grabbed Pirates for psp for 4.99, Henry Hatsworth for 3.00 and Donkey Kong for 7800 for 9.99. Overpaid on the last one but I have so few games for 7800 and apparently its a good version.

No picks but I did... fine I guess today.

Gundam Battle Assault 2 (ps1 disc only) 2.00

Pretty uncommon game. Happy to grab it out of a good 40 crap games.

That was my only buy until 10:30, thought the yard sale gods were out to get me but then I found a sale with a PSP and a GBA SP for 10 and 5. Passed on the psp due to a broken stick but grabbed the sp. A bit beat up but the screen is good.

Had a copy of Fire Red in it. Asked about other games and they brought out a box with two more Pokemon (ruby and sapphire) which she threw in for free. Also some ds/wii stuff she asked 2 each for. Cases for mario kart and new mario were empty but grabbed Mario Strikers for Wii and Sonic Chronicles for DS.

Then at a late sale got a nice shape dual shock 3 with a charging cradle for 5.00.

Stopped at Half Price Books on the way home. Nothing fantastic but grabbed Pirates for psp for 4.99, Henry Hatsworth for 3.00 and Donkey Kong for 7800 for 9.99. Overpaid on the last one but I have so few games for 7800 and apparently its a good version.

And you were in my territory. Don't forget that bit. How do I know? I have eyes/ears everywhere. :shock: 8-[

I wouldn't have missed the dualshock or the PSP, so those may not have been in my area, they put them out after I asked about games, or you beat me to them. :nottalking: :razz:

Went to a few yards sales today that mostly was trying to get rid of old baby clothes.

But did find this for $1 while I was out.

[attachment=6167:20140627_160626.jpg]

Looks like a PS1 controller, but can't get the PS1 console I just bought to recognize it.  Is it meant for some kinda knock-off version of the PS1 or possibly another region?  Didn't notice until I got home that there's no company markings anywhere on the controller.

I didn't buy the psp, saw that around 10:30. I was in a few areas, mostly Huntley/Lake in the Hills. Needed to switch it up a bit this week. Really though I'm curious, how do you know haha.

I'm curious where you got that pokemon stuff. There was one sale that opened early (I was there about 30 minutes early because I noticed their sign was out) and someone had already bought some of their game stuff (leaving the PS2 junk).

I didn't buy the psp, saw that around 10:30. I was in a few areas, mostly Huntley/Lake in the Hills. Needed to switch it up a bit this week. Really though I'm curious, how do you know haha.
I can't give away all my secrets. :whistle2:$ BUT: I can usually tell if someone else is around that isn't normally because stuff goes faster/the cadence/flow is off. Call it what you like, a sixth sense, a disturbance in the force, but either way I can tell when there is a new person in my area. haha

Today I didn't see any of my normal competition, but someone was buying games. I assume the wii games you bought in LITH from the people with the $100 wii? They told me someone bought the Mario game. I figured that was you or the new (old) guy because my normal competition doesn't usually cherry pick stuff (they buy it all like I usually do).

There was also a CL lot with a NES, SNES, N64 and an Atari (I didn't see it listed, but I was told about it) that was advertised near me, so I figured that would draw more people out here (since the people that advertised it were also having a garage sale).

There is a way I confirmed it was you, but I can't type it here. Just remember I am a ninja. lol

I actually didn't get the Wii game from them. I did see that sale but fairly late. I tried to cherry pick the Donkey Kong but they wanted too much. I do cherry pick though if the bundle price isn't great. I don't need any more bulk junk than I already have lol.

But ya, I don't think that was mostly me throwing you off. I bought all of one game by 10:30 though I was asking. Felt more like people not having stuff than picked over though.

The Mario as well as all the Pokemon/Sonic were from one sale I saw a sign for on my way to a sale on Danbury I think but I can't remember any more exact.

If it helps you place where I got the dual shock they also had a bunch of Halo and Gears of War books. Said they had old Nintendo but wouldn't sell. The Pokemon/gba/etc stuff wasn't too far from there.

My Brother went yardsaling by his friend's house and he got tons of stuff for about $80:

43 games

highlights:

A Link to the Past (SNES)

Super Mario World (SNES)

Super Mario All-Stars (SNES)

Metroid 2  with Manual (GB)

Kirby's Dream Land with Manual (GB)

Gold Kart Legend of Zelda (NES)

IMG_20140627_140214_267.jpg

IMG_20140627_140221_793.jpg
some bible games:

Spiritual Warfare (complete in Box)

Bible Adventures

IMG_20140627_140233_318.jpg

Banjo Tooie strategy guide (official Nintendo Power)

3 consoles:

NES
SNES

Gameboy (original release)

Plus a bunch of common sports titles and whatnot and a couple random controllers.

IMG_20140627_140202_939.jpg

IMG_20140627_140156_974.jpg

The previous day he found Pokemon Soul SIlver and Pokemon White, and Diablo 2 for PC.

Will post pics when I get a chance.

Didn't get to go to many sales today due to rain :( but was still able to get some cool stuff. 

First sale I went to had some dvds for $1 and the burn notice season 1 for $1 

also found a Nintendo DS for $2 no charger =/ but for that price i had to take it lol 

got everything for $5

e8343583-dee6-43d7-a5c4-1157e88ee6e5.jpg

Next good sale i got Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 3 and 4 for DS. Seller was originally asking

$10 each but i asked if he would go $15 for all 3 and asked his wife and she said $18 so i took em. 

Also grabbed Pokemon Colosseum bonus disc for gamecube for $2

43cb5ed6-f9b5-4f50-886e-fd3384d71cb8.jpg

Last sale i went to had some .50 cent dvds so i grabbed The Next Karate Kid, Hocus Pocus and The Iron Giant

1f5f165d-7f22-445c-88eb-a33e69e9e743.jpg

a few weeks ago i got this cartridge for .25 cents but idunno what it is lol

if anyone here knows id like some info on this. i looked online but couldn't

find anything on it.  

d6521687-c4a0-4e05-96b7-4c6da8eba356.jpg

Had a nice score on a place that advertised DVDs 3 for $1. Bambi blu and a bunch of other DVDs for $8 and then asked games and lo and behold she brings out 15 snes games including mario rpg and says $6 for em. I thought she meant per but nope, 20 DVDs and 15 snes plus game genie all with manuals for $14.

Good thing too it was my last stop and I almost didn't go
Do you know how many times I had one of those be the score. I swear though yard saling is like being a drug addict you're always chasing the dragon you get a score you keep looking to get another one, you don't get one and you still keep looking because you want the finders high.

This is my best find at a yard sale lol it was from like 2 years ago. Everything below

was in a box for $20.

Dr. Mario 64 didnt have the game =/ 

cc0ceb72-dad7-427f-b337-3c89f5391d69.jpg

Conkers has the game and manuals. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess cases are in

extremely good shape. Almost looks as if they hardly played them. 

3692f29e-35ad-4c56-a165-9af171587d3b.jpg

The Gamecube is pretty much brand new and looks like it was hardly used. 

f47aff93-ec8a-4806-8a79-bf4a69bf3b88.jpg

I also scored a $5 box with a Nintendo and games, and a Playstation 2 Silver slim

2ca39a13-4b21-45c7-b607-90f3391c6f45.jpg

92047ce6-3f8c-4dc7-9229-6229ab26faf0.jpg

7ee73acd-f543-4ba7-af9a-e2bb623abd86.jpg

These super nintendo games were from another sale got them for $2 each. 

26061b27-6e5f-43c8-9ce7-b6ffc0aa17aa.jpg

And one last find was a Super Nintendo with games for $12

This lot belonged to one of my high school teachers lol 

a0b57162-206e-4308-8fe7-8d7a530587bd.jpg

0ade5205-3e56-497f-9e3e-bb0b5da0247a.jpg

O:)

Here’s this weekend’s game hunting finds! Boxed NES games!

BBUFkCg.jpg

SALE #1

Eliminator NES Cleaning Kit

SALE #2

Mary Kate & Ashley empty GCN case (It was free)

SALE #3

Sonic Chronicles (DS)

SALE #4

Spy Hunter (PS2)

SALE #5

Pokemon SoulSilver (DS)

StarFox Command (DS)

Lock’s Story (DS)

BeyBlade Revolution (GBA)

SALE #6

Resident Evil: Afterlife (Blu-Ray Steelbook)

Final Fantasy X-2 (PS2)

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (PS2)

Dragonball Z Budokai 2 (PS2)

Shrek Fairytale Freakdown (GBC)

Pokemon Trading Card Game (GBC)

Toy Story 2 (GBC)

Rayman Advance (GBA)

SALE#7

Genesis 3 w/ Turbo Controller (No cords)

Mickey Mousecapade CIB (NES)

Super Mario 2 CIB (NES)

Adventure Island in box (NES)

Bart vs. The Space Mutants (NES)

Ghostbusters II (NES)

TMNT2: The Arcade (NES)

Super Street Fighter II (SNES)

Super Mario World (SNES)

Ultimate Mortal Kombat III (SNES)

Star Fox (SNES)

Star Fox 64 (N64)

Clay Fighter 63 1/3 (N64)

Goldeneye (N64)

1080 (N64)

Turok (N64)

Mario Kart 64 (N64)

South Park (N64)

Vectorman (Genesis)

Beavis & Butthead (GB)

Super Mario Land 2 (GB)

Killer Instinct (GB)

So I tried a little freestyling today, since the general consensus seems to be that's the way to find stuff. I was really tempted by a sale claiming to have all sorts of Nintendo games etc., but luckily they posted photos and I could tell that they were resellers getting rid of excess. True they could have missed something but the sale was over an hour away anyway so I didn't want to make the drive.

Found a sub-division sale and hit about ten houses. Nothing great. One guy had games but he wanted too much for them. When I asked if he had Gameboy games, he asked, "DS?" and I said "sure". He pulled them out of his pocket for some reason and then asked for $30 (there were four and they were shovelware).

I almost gave up, but I stopped at one last place. This guy had some cool stuff, like a Lunar hand puppet in the box and video game guides. I picked them up and was getting set to pay his wife and leave, when he trucks out into the garage and plops a box down. I look in the box and it's full of CIB Sega games. And the Master System. And he had the box for the Master system. We haggled a bit and I bought it all for $20. He also said his mom was cleaning out her basement and they might have a Saturn down there. Left him my phone number, I hope he calls back, would love that Saturn.

Thanks for all of your posts, you keep me inspired and that's how I found something cool like this.

[customspoiler='Pics!']

[/customspoiler]
And E from XBox just paid $50 today for a Master System w/no games or box.

No video games, though I should've asked though it was probably unlikely. I found a pretty interesting vintage yard sale, more like it was owned by a person who lived in the neighborhood since at least the 60s! I bought about 50 Analog Science Fictions from around 1970 for $11, plus two Life Magazines (one with Cybill Shepherd). I carried that bundle for a mile and a half and my arms were sore for about an hour. I put myself though worse around the same time last year. :\ I probably should've looked further, but the science fiction mags were enough. Maybe I'll go back tomorrow if it's still on.

Wow, those are some killer finds! Nothing new from me as my wife went into labor last night and we're at the hospital. No qualms here, as I'm riding high from the Earthbound find last week and the fact that I'm a dad now!

Grats to everyone on the awesome finds! I finally had a somewhat decent weekend of finds.

2uh25nr.jpg

Picked the top two up for $5 each, Orange Box was $4

13z1slj.jpg

These were $1 each, the boxes are in really good shape and everything is complete.

f4qw3p.jpg

2qcmhow.jpg

This lot was $10 for all. I'm happy to finally pick up Tomba, even if it is disc only.

bread's done
Back