2014 Yardsale thread

Finds 8-24-13

Sale the next town over advertised lots of games, mentioning Nintendo and PlayStation.  Unfortunately I didn't see the ad until the start time (10:00).  Forty five minutes later I arrive and see some over-priced NES, SNES and GBA shovel ware.  I'm sure I missed some better stuff, but I noticed a few large stacks of PS1 games in mint condition.

They look like they were taken out of the shrink wrap and placed on the table before the sale, only one with any wear is Crash Team Racing.  Large cased games were $1.00, the rest were $0.50 each.  Most were nothing special, but the good one was great; R-Type Delta!  I guess the good thing about people going nuts over Nintendo stuff is that they completely overlook PS1 games.

They also had a CIB N64 tagged $60.  Guy was trying to negotiate them down to $40 but they wouldn't take it.  I walk up with my stack of PS1 games and ask about it. 

They end up giving it to me for $45.  I'm lukewarm about this one, kinda high especially considering I already have orange and green consoles.

I go home and see an ad on CL for a sale I hit up Friday before work.  I notice in one of the pictures there are what appears to be SNES carts.  They didn't have them Friday when I checked it out so I almost didn't go, but glad I did.

Got the lot for $15.  Also noticed something else that wasn't there on Friday.

Got the Pulp Fiction wall art for $10.  They said it used to hang on the wall of a Blockbuster video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since a lot of you guys are sharing your horror stories about flippers I just had a recent run in with one I thought i might as well share.

So in my area I usually don't have very good luck with video games at yard sales (most of my decent finds have been at thrift stores/pawn shops) but I thought, what the hell I'll give it another shot this weekend.

The first few sales I go to are busts, either they had no games to begin with or they sold them on craigslist/ebay/etc. But the last one I went to, (it was already in the afternoon at this point so I was about to give up) I walk up and immediately see a cardboard box with the Doom Collector's Edition sitting on top. So I dig through a find a few other decent PC games (Jurassic Park Chaos Island, Need for Speed, The Sims, etc.) So I grab a few I want and right as I stand up to check to see if the discs are inside a guy grabs the box right out from under me and takes them up to the lady running the sale. I walk up behind him to wait and as I watch he suddenly drops the box right in front of her and storms off. As I walk up to her with a confused look on my face she tells me "He wanted to buy the whole box and I told him I would only sell it for $15. I offer her $3 for the games I picked up and without even hesitating she just tells me to "Take the whole box for $5". She then tells me "I knew that guy was just a flipper, at least you'll get some enjoyment out of them" I then tell her thank you and with a big smile on my face I walked away with the whole box of games under my arm.

There wasn't anything spectacular in the lot, (I had picked up the best games when I first walked up) but it felt good to keep some games away from a re-seller.
Love it.

Got the Pulp Fiction wall art for $10. They said it used to hang on the wall of a Blockbuster video.
Yea, I worked at Blockbuster for around 3 years. This one's definitely from the store. Basically any art you find with this frame and texture is from BBV. Honestly, it didn't sell for shit, either. I think they charged like $20-30 a pop. Weird, though, we carried tons of them. Wasn't just movies, either. Music, comics, artists... there were just tons.
I remember my boss gave me a grip of them that we were gonna destroy. One was TMNT and then the original Firday the 13th movie poster.
They're pretty cool, and I'm surprised they didn't sell better. Then again, I never found room for the ones I got for free and sold them at a garage sale as well, lol.

Love it.

Yea, I worked at Blockbuster for around 3 years. This one's definitely from the store. Basically any art you find with this frame and texture is from BBV. Honestly, it didn't sell for shit, either. I think they charged like $20-30 a pop. Weird, though, we carried tons of them. Wasn't just movies, either. Music, comics, artists... there were just tons.
I remember my boss gave me a grip of them that we were gonna destroy. One was TMNT and then the original Firday the 13th movie poster.
They're pretty cool, and I'm surprised they didn't sell better. Then again, I never found room for the ones I got for free and sold them at a garage sale as well, lol.
The good old blockbuster. I picked up many frames for $3. JLA, Marvel, Call of duty black ops, etc.

I did pay $7.50 for iron man 2. The only one I couldnt find was terminator salvation. Now that frame was awesome.

I still see people here mentioning what something "sells" for on Amazon, am I missing something here? How do you check what an item actually sold for on Amazon? I was under the impression that you can sell whatever you want on there for whatever price you want so how are people using that to gauge the actual value of something?

I still see people here mentioning what something "sells" for on Amazon, am I missing something here? How do you check what an item actually sold for on Amazon? I was under the impression that you can sell whatever you want on there for whatever price you want so how are people using that to gauge the actual value of something?
The lowest buying option on amazon. It doesn't mean that the item sells, but it is the least you would get for it if you were to list it (in theory-only if it sells though). There are sales ranks, so you can see how likely an item will sell and how often an item tends to sell. I am not sure if pro merchants have different information available. It isn't like ebay where you can check "sold" listings, but an item like Super Smash bros. n64:

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Smash-Bros-nintendo-64/dp/B00000J2W7

46.00 cart only is the "selling price" on amazon. Technically we do not know if one sold for that, but I can guarantee this particular item has sold for at least that amount. Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #624 in Video Games is a low number, so it means it sells regularly. It is also #3 in Video Games > More Systems > Nintendo 64 > Games, so it is the 3rd most sold n64 game.

I've never really looked at the ranks too much with games because I tend to hold onto them, but the rank within a system gives a good idea of the games in terms of popularity.

You can use camelcamelcamel to view previous jumps in sales rank (which indicate a sale) and compare those jumps to the price history at that time to get an idea to the price something has actually sold for on amazon.

You can use camelcamelcamel to view previous jumps in sales rank (which indicate a sale) and compare those jumps to the price history at that time to get an idea to the price something has actually sold for on amazon.
I keep forgetting about that site. Using Smash Bros as the example again:

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Super-Smash-Bros-nintendo-64/product/B00000J2W7?context=browse

You can click on used prices on the graph and adjust even to see last 6 months sales data. Smash bros tends to sell between $40-$50 the past 6 months on average. Their estimate when you remove the extremes is $45.24 per copy.

Semi yard sale pickup: A CL post in my neighborhood mentioned a Wii console, balance board and games for $20. I went and grabbed it today Everything seems like its there, the 3 games included were wii fit, epic mickey and biggest loser. Gonna mod the wii for homebrew channel so it has some more resale value (let me know if anyone's interested). Figure I'll flip the BB to gamestop or something. 

Alright its safe now, found this lot on Saturday paid $40.00 (a bit too much?) for the bondle . It also came with 6 more games but they were just 5 meh games and Mission Impossible. The Gameshark has a sticker that says v3.3? Don't know much about these cheating devices.
Heads up on the Gameshark - if it doesn't seem to work, plug in Mario 64 or Goldeneye. I had about 4 "broken" Gamesharks that were returned by customers. Turns out they were set to operate on a different keycode (necessary for later games). Earlier games like Mario 64 or Goldeneye will actually reset the keycode back to default.

Let's see if I can do this right now that I've screwed up the Thrift Store Thread.

Finds 8-31-13

Had a group reservation for paintball, only got to stop at one sale on the way.

Meh.

Finds 9-7-13

Community festival in a nearby town, plenty of sales.

Original Xbox CIB $20.  They were originally wanting $30 but talked them down a bit.  Was going to pass but I figured I would regret not getting a boxed system eventually.

Guy had tons of seasons of Lost, Miracle at St Anna and Coyote Ugly at $2 each, all sealed.  Couldn't figure out why until later; they're from Canada.  Gold Diggers was $1.  Not sure why I got it.

Same sale, different booth.  $5 for all five.  First copy of Pokémon Stadium 2 for me, the rest are crap.

Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix with mat $5.  This was out in the open in the middle of a group of vendors.  Not sure how it survived until 10:00 when I found it.

Various sales.  The PS2 and GC games were $3 each, CDs were $1 each, Ghost Recon and aftermarket turbo N64 controller were $1 each and Centipede and Star Raiders for the Atari 400 were $5 total.

GameCube with games $15.  Nothing great and Sonic DX was missing from the case but I had a spare disc only copy.  This was one of the last sales I went to at about 2:00.

Finds 9-14-13

This was one of my favorite finds of the year.  We were on the tail end of a summer-long drought, fewer people were getting out for sales since the days were starting off at 80 degrees.  This turns out to be good for me.

Advertised sale mentioning Atari and Nintendo.  I show up a few minutes before 8:00 to find some older people milling around the sale.  I ask about games and she brings out a box with an NES and about a dozen games.  She wanted $50 for the NES so I passed, but she said $3 each for the boxed games and $1 each for the others.  I picked up all the boxed games and a few loose ones.  Next she points out a stack of PS1 games and a suitcase full of Atari games.  PS1 games were $1 each and the Atari were $3 each.  :whistle2:k   Grabbed a few from each an paid a total of $27 for everything in the next two pictures.

Sale out of town advertised GameCube games, arrive to find not much selection.

Mayhem PS3 was $5, GameCube games were $3 each, PS1 and GBA were $2 each and CDs were $1 each.

Semi yard sale pickup: A CL post in my neighborhood mentioned a Wii console, balance board and games for $20. I went and grabbed it today Everything seems like its there, the 3 games included were wii fit, epic mickey and biggest loser. Gonna mod the wii for homebrew channel so it has some more resale value (let me know if anyone's interested). Figure I'll flip the BB to gamestop or something.
Nice. I pickup a wii for $15 awhile ago. Mod? Can u pm info of how?

Oh man, I remember how like two weeks ago we were posting about the Boston area stores fighting with eachother on Craigslist. I think it is starting up again. Hopefully it escalates to YouTube videos again.

"Sudden Impact are Lowball Scum!"

"Im from Malden and i seen thier ad here and when i went in after a phone conversation prior to bringing my merchandise in they completely lied and offered me way less than it should be especially on the phone they offered more. I felt trapped and grabbed all my stuff quickly and was out don't trust these losers. They are Scumbags saying ebay is more expensive because shipping than figured out my stuff was worth way more thier than what they offered. Also the games they sold were overpriced! If you do go here i recommend checking online first before buying it and for trades none at all even Store credit or Cash they are cheap couldn't even give less than half!"

This is the place I had the pictures off their prices from. Sadly I'm not sure if he will respond. The owner seems like a relatively quiet/non-confrontational person. The other guy (from the youtube videos that slowdive found) would get on there swearing and screaming and posting videos where he said the other stores were crap."

I will refrain from commenting. But I will say their grammar even makes me cringe and I use bad grammar more than anyone. Or is it "there" and "everyone"? ;)

I do like the east coast. :grouphug:

Bill Burr has to be the funniest person on the planet.

Where are these videos of one game store yelling at another one? I checked that benny blanco guys youtube but just found videos of him bragging about all the crappy common NES games he "scored"

Where are these videos of one game store yelling at another one? I checked that benny blanco guys youtube but just found videos of him bragging about all the crappy common NES games he "scored"
There were never videos of them fighting with eachother. Most of the actual fighting with eachother was done on Craigslist. The Blanco though would post videos where he said his store was the best and all the others suck. I think his store gone now though. He hasn't posted any ads on craigslist for like 2 years. A few of his videos mentioned the other crappy stores. One of them had him draw pictures of the other stores or store owners (can't remember). I watched a few way back when they were fighting. At that itme there were at least 10 ads a day by people saying everyone else's store sucks, rips you off, steals from children when they aren't looking, etc.

20140715_165104.jpg
20140715_165048.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-bN_e0sm0s

Got all this up alittle late, but crazy busy the last few days. See one of the pictures is blurry, my bad on that. Check the video for

the details, and if you like, sub and all that other nonsense. Until next time ;)

Finds 9-21-13

I told myself at the beginning of the year (2013) that I would find a Wii for less than $40.  At this point I had only run into a few near that price; $35 for a dirty, well worn system and $25 for a replacement console with no wires or controllers.  Ran across this one at a sale late in the year, was told it belonged to their grandmother who didn't use it much after purchase.  It is like new with all the manuals and packing.  She wouldn't budge off $50 but I got it anyway since the season was winding down.

Finds 9-28-13

The annual James Dean Rebel Run car show, lots of sales but it was mostly flea market vendors. 

First find was a 1953 Philco 53-950 multiwave radio, it plays AM and Special Services bands.  The old man said he had it on the shelf in his garage for years.  It took a moment for the tubes to warm up but it plays pretty good.  Negotiated down to $10 from $15.

Next find was a complete NES system with games for $15.  It was about noon so this normally wouldn't still be around except he was hidden in the back of a trailer court.  System was dirty but works fine.

And now, car pictures!

Picked up a great lot this morning.

Missed a lot of pokemon gameboy games.

Almost got in a fight.

Was asked to be a lady's bodyguard (though I am not tall or muscular -lol).

Saw my nemesis for the first time this season and decided to downgrade him to "asshole". I'm not sure I have a proper nemesis anymore.

Met some cool dogs.

Stories to come, pics will have to wait.

I went to a couple sales today.

Wii with 3 remotes, 2 nunchucks, cables, other attachments, carrying case, and manuals - $30

Mario kart (wii) with 3 wheel attachments-$10
Mario party 8-$10
Pink ds with 10+ games(cartridge only)(2 were mario games)-$15

All of it was from the same sale.

Almost got in a fight.

Was asked to be a lady's bodyguard (though I am not tall or muscular -lol).

Saw my nemesis for the first time this season and decided to downgrade him to "asshole". I'm not sure I have a proper nemesis anymore.
Sounds like a Yakuza fight.

That asshole might be your best friend in the future.

Pickups on my way to work today.

Gamecube games- $5 for both. NCAA 10 was only $5!!!!!!! There were a bunch of other PS3 sport games but I didn't know of any other rare sports games.

VNdr11z.jpg

This Yamaha SE200 guitar was only $30. Sweet looking guitar, Needs new string. Now I have 2 electric guitars and one bass guitar, and STILL haven't learned how to play them. Ugh! Today is my last day working at Fast Signs so maybe I'll have time to practice before I get my next job.

xfSgEnI.jpg

Hit about half a dozen sales this morning. Lots of duds.

One sale advertised games, had eBay prices the guy was reading of a list.

Stopped at one sale after passing it 3 times. Had 8 foam interlocking tiles for a kids playroom. Asking $5, didn't have change for $20 so he took $2. Going to use them as the floor to a small exercise area in the basement.

So I can poach your town and you will poach slowdive.  Works for me! 

Already checked some of the local advertisements, there is one sale mentioning NES, PS1, PS2 but it is North of town and by the time I get there it will probably be picked clean.  And that's if I can convince the people I'm with to go there.

Anyone else notice the monopoly piece in that pic? You better be in Chicago, not the burbs! And you don't only poach me, you poach Bing147 and a few others. ;) (EDIT: But who will I poach?  :cry:  )

cody, do you even lift bro?

Near Fight Story: (Now that I think about it, I was probably a little harsh on him)

So there was a sale on CL that advertised a nintendo. They only gave cross streets and didn't post a time the sale was starting. I drove by the night before and they had a sign out saying they open at 9 AM.

Yesterday I hit another sale that was supposed to open at 8 AM and got a decent score, I also drove by the 9 AM sale a couple times to see if they opened early. The 2nd time I drove by I saw a guy looking for the same sale who looked at me with a stink eye. I decided to hit some more sales and came back around. As I was about to leave they opened the garage door.

I parked and said "Hello! I saw your sign blah blah blah".

She said "We aren't open yet."

"Well there wasn't a time on CL blah blah blah. I saw you had a nintendo listed. blah blah. Is there a time I should come back?"

"Ok, you can take a look"

They had a couple DS lites for $50 each, a GC for $20 with a broken top (that was the nintendo), a 360 for $150 or so, and a shoebox sized tupperware of games.

As I am flipping through the games someone comes up (the guy that was looking for the sale earlier) and he tries to pull a stack of the games in DVD cases from the back of the box. I put my other hand on top of the games to keep him from pulling them out and I say "That's not nice."

He then announces that "I will pay more for the games!"

The lady responded "Whaa?"

"I will pay more than he will for the games!"

"You mean more than they are marked?"

"Yeah!"

He then reached his hand in the front of the box and I said "You are lucky I am in a good mood."

I then pull out a few items I am interested in and he grabs the pokemon white 2 and black 2 I left in the box that were priced at $20 and $15 each. He then looks them up on his phone and offers the lady $12 for both.

She says "I'm not dealing, technically we aren't even open yet."

He then tries another offer and she said no. He puts the games back and takes off.

(I'm thinking to myself, "I thought he said he would pay more", but I keep my mouth shut).

I then say to her "I know you are not dealing so, I will take this for $5". I thanked her and left.

---

Today, I went back to her sale and she told me she is dealing today. So I notice that both pokemon games are still there and the other items I thought about buying were also there. I grabbed $45 worth of items and she told me she would take $40. :roll:  I told her that is more than I would like to spend and she said "I looked them up, that's what they sell for." I said I think we are too far apart on price, so I will just take this one", she then insisted I make a counter offer and I told her $20 is my max. She said "no way" and I didn't feel like arguing about fees,shipping, etc, so I ended up taking one game that was marked $5 for $4. 

Anyone else notice the monopoly piece in that pic? You better be in Chicago, not the burbs! And you don't only poach me, you poach Bing147 and a few others. ;) (EDIT: But who will I poach? :cry: )

cody, do you even lift bro?

Near Fight Story: (Now that I think about it, I was probably a little harsh on him)

So there was a sale on CL that advertised a nintendo. They only gave cross streets and didn't post a time the sale was starting. I drove by the night before and they had a sign out saying they open at 9 AM.

Yesterday I hit another sale that was supposed to open at 8 AM and got a decent score, I also drove by the 9 AM sale a couple times to see if they opened early. The 2nd time I drove by I saw a guy looking for the same sale who looked at me with a stink eye. I decided to hit some more sales and came back around. As I was about to leave they opened the garage door.

I parked and said "Hello! I saw your sign blah blah blah".

She said "We aren't open yet."

"Well there wasn't a time on CL blah blah blah. I saw you had a nintendo listed. blah blah. Is there a time I should come back?"

"Ok, you can take a look"

They had a couple DS lites for $50 each, a GC for $20 with a broken top (that was the nintendo), a 360 for $150 or so, and a shoebox sized tupperware of games.

As I am flipping through the games someone comes up (the guy that was looking for the sale earlier) and he tries to pull a stack of the games in DVD cases from the back of the box. I put my other hand on top of the games to keep him from pulling them out and I say "That's not nice."

He then announces that "I will pay more for the games!"

The lady responded "Whaa?"

"I will pay more than he will for the games!"

"You mean more than they are marked?"

"Yeah!"

He then reached his hand in the front of the box and I said "You are lucky I am in a good mood."

I then pull out a few items I am interested in and he grabs the pokemon white 2 and black 2 I left in the box that were priced at $20 and $15 each. He then looks them up on his phone and offers the lady $12 for both.

She says "I'm not dealing, technically we aren't even open yet."

He then tries another offer and she said no. He puts the games back and takes off.

(I'm thinking to myself, "I thought he said he would pay more", but I keep my mouth shut).

I then say to her "I know you are not dealing so, I will take this for $5". I thanked her and left.

---

Today, I went back to her sale and she told me she is dealing today. So I notice that both pokemon games are still there and the other items I thought about buying were also there. I grabbed $45 worth of items and she told me she would take $40. :roll: I told her that is more than I would like to spend and she said "I looked them up, that's what they sell for." I said I think we are too far apart on price, so I will just take this one", she then insisted I make a counter offer and I told her $20 is my max. She said "no way" and I didn't feel like arguing about fees,shipping, etc, so I ended up taking one game that was marked $5 for $4.
People who claim they pay top dollar for games in a nutshell

Got my first yard sale find ever today.

rtVJGtI.jpg

All from the same place

FC Twin Console

Donkey Kong Classics (Small Label Damage)

Tiny Toon Adventures

Back to the Future

Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout

Caveman Games

Popeye

Super Mario Bros 3

Super Mario Bros 2

Black Bass

Tecmo Bowl

Adventure Island

Super Pitfall

Tetris

Stealth ATF

Vegas Dreams

Bubble Bobble

Bomberman

Also a random Arena Football for PS2 that looks like it was signed by the dude on the cover?

All for 20$

man everything about that story makes me rage hard....the reseller jerk off was bad enough, but to top it off you have one of these wannabe antique dealers running a yard sale. "thats what they sell for" WHERE BITCH? ARE YOU GONNA SELL THEM ON EBAY? THIS IS A GODDAMN YARD SALE, THIS ISN'T EBAY! Jesus H Christ these people drive me nuts

[quote name="dasme313" post="11936235" timestamp="1405731267"]Nice NES lot! Those games are so clean! The past few NES/SNES/N64 lots I've found have been pretty grody.[/quote]

Me and my brother were very surprised by the condition, every game is in great shape apart from the small label tears, most of the nes games I've seen are discolored and torn up.

Nice score on the NES. I have some quality stuff to post this week since I'll have time but it includes NES and Atari systems.

Also, the great thing about living in the middle of nowhere is that I don't have to worry about you other CAGs coming in on my turf ;)

Had pretty good score today while I was out on some errands. Hit up a sale advertising DS and Wii games, but got there and only saw 360. Asked about Nintendo and the woman brought out a SNES and games she said she's never been able to sell. She wanted $80, I offered $70 and she took it. Probably should have gone for $60, but I'm blaming new Dad brain. Everything is a bit dusty but nothing a little cleaning won't fix. This makes will be the second copy of Demon's Crest I've found in a week and the second copy of Secret of Mana I've found this summer.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:24360]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:24361]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:24362]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:24363]
She then brought out some DS lites and kids' game, but there was nothing very interesting so I just grabbed the SNES and went on my merry way.

Yeah, they're pretty dirty and some have price stickers on them, but the labels are intact and nothing is really faded. I cleaned up Demon's Crest last night and it looks really good, which is great because I've got a friend dying to get his hands on a copy.

had to run to post office and saw a yard sale. this is what I got for $3 a piece. thd old lady wanted $4. she said that she has the systems but couldnt find it. will call me when she finds it.

super mario world cart only
gradius cart
super mario kart complete
starfox complete
donkey kong country complete
free nintendo black leather case for nes games
the advantage s of lolo nes cart only. never heard of this. is it rare?
a sealed nes zodas revenge star tropics 2???? I dont know much about nes besides the regular nintendo games.

total $21 im a newb to the pricing of these games and I do recall some cag pay $1 bundled but havent seen this in my area.
hopefully she can find the snes and nes

So pissed off right now...

Went to a sale Thursday asked about games. Guy said they will have some tomorrow (I ask him to hold them). Friday I come back. His family didn't drop them off. Went back today. "You are going to be mad. The second guy that came here was only looking for video games and he bought all of them. I shouldn't say it like that, there were only 17."

Whoever got those games "you are welcome". My work and gas, someone else's payoff. One of these days I am going to lose my shit or have a heart attack.

Tried to head to a garage sale that had games listed on craiglist, but ended up getting lost thanks to road works which completely messed up everything.

Good day indeed.

Oh man, I remember how like two weeks ago we were posting about the Boston area stores fighting with eachother on Craigslist. I think it is starting up again. Hopefully it escalates to YouTube videos again.

"Sudden Impact are Lowball Scum!"

"Im from Malden and i seen thier ad here and when i went in after a phone conversation prior to bringing my merchandise in they completely lied and offered me way less than it should be especially on the phone they offered more. I felt trapped and grabbed all my stuff quickly and was out don't trust these losers. They are Scumbags saying ebay is more expensive because shipping than figured out my stuff was worth way more thier than what they offered. Also the games they sold were overpriced! If you do go here i recommend checking online first before buying it and for trades none at all even Store credit or Cash they are cheap couldn't even give less than half!"

This is the place I had the pictures off their prices from. Sadly I'm not sure if he will respond. The owner seems like a relatively quiet/non-confrontational person. The other guy (from the youtube videos that slowdive found) would get on there swearing and screaming and posting videos where he said the other stores were crap."
Are you talking about the owner of Sudden Impact being quiet and non-confrontational? LOL. Dude... I wasn't aware of the feuding going down on CL but I'm not a fan of that guy. I met him at Pax and went by his store once. High prices and bhe made me feel really uncomfortable being in his store.

bread's done
Back