2014 Yardsale thread

Went to a yard sale about 10 minutes away that advertised "gamecube system & more", when I get there an hour after it started not a single GameCube game or system to be found. Asked the lady and said she never had any Gameube games or system. Ended up buying Despicable me & King Kong for $1 total.

I got some more stuff

Silver GameCube with controller $5 got them down from $10

Legend of dragoon for ps1 2.50 down from $5 (complete)

1 mega man battle chip

Large mega man action figure

25 cents for both

I have too many GameCube systems now, gonna have to figure out what to keep and what to sell.

[quote name="slowdive21" post="11995699" timestamp="1407611053"]You probably shouldn't be named after your girlfriend.[/quote]

Nice try, but 1) I'm happily married and 2) my username isn't 'mylefthand'. I'm sure you're a nice guy, slow, but your left hand isn't getting anywhere near me.

The finds for today:

All of the games except Pikmin & Megaman X4 were a dollar each, found at various yard sales. Pikmin was $3, MMX4 was $5 (but is sealed).

And here is my new "girlfriend" (bad joke courtesy of yourlefthand :dunce: )  with a few games I found

Paid $70 for everything in that last lot. Maybe high for a yard sale, but the guy asked me to offer a price on the console, and it was worth $50 to me. Extra $20 for all the games.

Also found a boxed Commodore 64 w/ a boxed Disk Drive, and a boxed Atari (4 switch) for $24 total.

1st sale - Black GameCube, Platinum Gamecube, MGS: Twin Snakes, Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, Mario Kart, SW Battlefront, Battlefront II, KOTOR, KOTOR II, Republic Commando, Jedi Outcast, Jedi Knight

$40

2nd sale - 52 60s Matchbox cars

$10

3rd Sale - CIB Wii, Loose Wii, 360 Slim, 360 original, PS2, Mario Sports Mix, Kirby Return to Dream Land, Mario Kart Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 1&2, 2 official Gamecube controllers, Blue official Wii Remote, Red Mario wii remote

$100

4th sale - GBC no battery cover but pokemon red. AGS-101 GBA SP. Broken DS, DSi XL, broken black 3DS (doesn't charge) 30 DS games including SoulSilver, Platinum, Black, White Version 2, TMNT, Incredible Hulk.

$75

So all in all pretty damn good day

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name="dasme313" post="11995972" timestamp="1407619457"]The finds for today:

All of the games except Pikmin & Megaman X4 were a dollar each, found at various yard sales. Pikmin was $3, MMX4 was $5 (but is sealed).

And here is my new "girlfriend" (bad joke courtesy of yourlefthand :dunce: ) with a few games I found

Paid $70 for everything in that last lot. Maybe high for a yard sale, but the guy asked me to offer a price on the console, and it was worth $50 to me. Extra $20 for all the games.

Also found a boxed Commodore 64 w/ a boxed Disk Drive, and a boxed Atari (4 switch) for $24 total.[/quote]

Nice!

I had to help out with an estate sale at my grandmother's house today so I didn't really get a chance to go out, but I got lucky when I went to get some lunch. I stopped by a yard sale on my way back and when I asked about video games they brought out a box with the following and I ended up paying $35 for it. (It was one of those situations where they asked for my honest opinion and $35 was the highest I was willing to go while still feeling like I got a deal.) Nothing too amazing but I got a working NES, a power, CiB Super Mario Bros 3, Mario Kart, and a bunch of game boxes. Also picked up an Atari light gun, which I didn't even know was a thing.

Ended up going back with my wife to pick up some baby clothes, but unfortunately they didn't feel like digging for any more games. I left my card with them, though, so hopefully something will come of it.

So I've been yard saling for about a year now, but I never got around to posting to the thread. Decided to finally post because I was pretty proud of myself today haha.

10547482_767681996621308_573846601500155466_n.jpg

10563094_767682009954640_5371625059800226479_n.jpg

Wii Sports was $2
Wireless Headphone was $6
Two DSi's with two action replays and 17 downloadable games which I transferred to my old 3ds were $35
3ds with 25 games, case, and other accessories was $30
Also picked up a glass chess set, wooden chess set, and an old Dungeons and Dragons set for $1 each

I had to help out with an estate sale at my grandmother's house today so I didn't really get a chance to go out, but I got lucky when I went to get some lunch. I stopped by a yard sale on my way back and when I asked about video games they brought out a box with the following and I ended up paying $35 for it. (It was one of those situations where they asked for my honest opinion and $35 was the highest I was willing to go while still feeling like I got a deal.) Nothing too amazing but I got a working NES, a power, CiB Super Mario Bros 3, Mario Kart, and a bunch of game boxes. Also picked up an Atari light gun, which I didn't even know was a thing.

Ended up going back with my wife to pick up some baby clothes, but unfortunately they didn't feel like digging for any more games. I left my card with them, though, so hopefully something will come of it.
If I'm not mistaken I believe that is a light gun for the Atari XE, I think it came with the console (computer) and a copy of Bug Hunt. Not a bad gun and Bug Hunt was a pretty decent Duck Hunt style game.

Finally found some reasonably priced games after a long long yard sale drought (kijiji and facebook are treating me just fine, mind you). Landed Fortune Street and Wario Land Shake It (Wii) for a buck a piece. Hope business picks up this week - have a giant yard sale day secretly planned for Friday.

No pictures (yet) but yesterday I found a Flame Red 3DS, Mario Kart 7, Madden 3D, 2 DSi systems and several pokemon games all for only $30!!!!
It's funny how many of us found 3DS systems this weekend. I got another one today but this one the top screen just stays black. Must be the weekend of 3DSs

Reading everyone stories is amazing. Can't believe so many selling 3ds console with games . Maybe I'm living in a greedy area? Rockville,md ?

I'm impressed with the 3DS finds, but even more impress with the games that have been coming with them and the prices! I've only seen one 3DS at a yard sale this year. Came with a junk game for $150 FIRM. I haven't seen many DS's this summer either.

*after reading this weekends finds*

AAAGGGGHHHH!!!!! Dang, friggin all of you are finding everything I'm looking for.  Like 3 or 4 of you found pokemon emerald, 4 or 5 of you found some pokemon DS games, and one of you found a better version of a game I recently bought.  Oh yeah, want to know what I scored?  A platinum GBA in good condition (this was what made the day decent rather than the usual bad), no game in it, a copy of metroid prime hunters: first hunt, which I later discovered was the MFng demo for the full game rather than the full game itself (also explains why it came in a super mario 64 ds case instead of the original), and an  DSi box with manuals/paperwork/stylus, no console, for free, but I paid $1 each for the gameboy and the metroid prime demo, which isn't even worth a quarter.  And to add to the disappointment, I learned later on when I got home that the code in the dsi box doesn't work like it does for games, I thought I had just scored some free nintendo points, didn't even get that.

My "white whale" as someone put it earlier, are pretty much any gameboy advance or DS pokemon game.  I've been garage sailing for about 3 and a half years now, and I've only encountered 3 pokemon games I wanted, and one of them I skipped out on because it was before I had wanted to play pokemon again and didn't know how valuable and how annoyingly limited nintendo make their games.  Got soul silver about 3 years ago, which was when I started doing this, for 4 bucks.  Didn't get a DS till about a year and a half later, for 3 bucks with a broken hinge, but it worked, so i finally got to play my soul silver and that got me back into pokemon games. And about a month ago I got a copy of pokemon black for 4 bucks.  3 pokemon DS games over the span of 3 and a half years, really disappointing.

Though I did finally find another one of my white whales a month ago as well, Super Mario Sunshine, had been looking for that for about a year.

Poor me and my first world problems, lol. I'm not too lucky when it comes to garage sales I guess.

[quote name="vickers500" post="11998994" timestamp="1407735035"]*after reading this weekends finds*

AAAGGGGHHHH!!!!! Dang, friggin all of you are finding everything I'm looking for. Like 3 or 4 of you found pokemon emerald, 4 or 5 of you found some pokemon DS games, and one of you found a better version of a game I recently bought. Oh yeah, want to know what I scored? A platinum GBA in good condition (this was what made the day decent rather than the usual bad), no game in it, a copy of metroid prime hunters: first hunt, which I later discovered was the MFng demo for the full game rather than the full game itself (also explains why it came in a super mario 64 ds case instead of the original), and an DSi box with manuals/paperwork/stylus, no console, for free, but I paid $1 each for the gameboy and the metroid prime demo, which isn't even worth a quarter. And to add to the disappointment, I learned later on when I got home that the code in the dsi box doesn't work like it does for games, I thought I had just scored some free nintendo points, didn't even get that.

My "white whale" as someone put it earlier, are pretty much any gameboy advance or DS pokemon game. I've been garage sailing for about 3 and a half years now, and I've only encountered 3 pokemon games I wanted, and one of them I skipped out on because it was before I had wanted to play pokemon again and didn't know how valuable and how annoyingly limited nintendo make their games. Got soul silver about 3 years ago, which was when I started doing this, for 4 bucks. Didn't get a DS till about a year and a half later, for 3 bucks with a broken hinge, but it worked, so i finally got to play my soul silver and that got me back into pokemon games. And about a month ago I got a copy of pokemon black for 4 bucks. 3 pokemon DS games over the span of 3 and a half years, really disappointing.

Though I did finally find another one of my white whales a month ago as well, Super Mario Sunshine, had been looking for that for about a year.

Poor me and my first world problems, lol. I'm not too lucky when it comes to garage sales I guess.[/quote]

These Pokemon games are not annoyingly limited as you say, there were plenty of them on the market for a long time, you can't expect Nintendo to keep selling GBA games forever.

The price rises on these games because they are genuinely good games and can be played for a long time. I have put at least 100 hours on every single one of my pokemon carts, that is good value for a $40 game.

These Pokemon games are not annoyingly limited as you say, there were plenty of them on the market for a long time, you can't expect Nintendo to keep selling GBA games forever. The price rises on these games because they are genuinely good games and can be played for a long time. I have put at least 100 hours on every single one of my pokemon carts, that is good value for a $40 game.
I kinda meant in comparison to something like a ps2/ps3/xbox 360 game. There might be a lot out there, but clearly there aren't enough to where the game can be found for cheap. Plus they don't sell them in stores anymore, despite their supposed wide availability and held value (talking about DS games here, not gba stuff). I'm not saying they're not worth $40 dollars or whatever, but there are like 14 pokemon games I want, 9 of them I really want (the DS ones), even if I get very lucky and can find each one of the DS games for $20 even, which is highly unlikely, that's still 180 bucks I'd rather not spend on older games that don't have cases/manuals which should be 15-20 max in my opinion (this site has made me really cheap with my game spending habits).

@MikeTV

I ask whenever I see a hint of anything DS related, but if they only have a stack of ps2 games or no games at all, I don't ask.

PG county has the highest concentration of rich yuppies in Maryland, so yeah, I'd say that's about right. ;)
Wrong county =P~ . Rockville's in Montgomery. There aren't a lot of yuppies in PG, and Howard has passed Montgomery on the wealthiest counties list.

Still right about on target though with Rockville in general.

@MikeTV

I ask whenever I see a hint of anything DS related, but if they only have a stack of ps2 games or no games at all, I don't ask.
I used to do that, but then I learned you might as well ask everyone especially if, in your case, you see anything kid related. You don't have to be brusque or anything, I just try to start up a conversation and slip in the fact that I'm looking for game stuff. It's how I found the mega haul of Nintendo stuff from earlier this summer at a sale that otherwise had no Nintendo stuff out.

I used to do that, but then I learned you might as well ask everyone especially if, in your case, you see anything kid related. You don't have to be brusque or anything, I just try to start up a conversation and slip in the fact that I'm looking for game stuff. It's how I found the mega haul of Nintendo stuff from earlier this summer at a sale that otherwise had no Nintendo stuff out.
The worst they can do is say no :D

Had a very awesome weekend! Dad came up for a visit and we saw Guardians of the Galaxy! Very fun! But you all are more interested in my finds. This week was more about quantity over quality. You'll soon see why.

Stopped at a sale Friday after work and picked up a bunch of power ranger figures. Mostly from SPD and Mystic force but mostly it was morphers and weapons. Nothing spectacular but they all work it seems. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture but I may add one later.

14872579304_10ce6fbea3_b.jpg

I pulled up to this sale too late. My son have been getting into Imaginex quite a bit here recently and we missed a pirate ship that was for sale. He started playing with it when we gt out but another woman very politely told him that it was for her son. I respect that and it made him feel OK as well. So we looked around a little more and my dad was up from my hometown and said to look at the playstation 2 bucket he found.I glanced and thought it was just the system, but then her held up a spindle of games. I immediately put it in my 'pile' at the front. I then found a travel sized Imaginex castle and showed it to Avin. We also found a bag of toys that had mega man figures in it as well as Pokemon. I'm getting ready to check out and I then see something that I've heard about. A Yu-Gi-Oh! Card holder. I pick it up and am pleased. So I take everything up and it was about 2 for what I had amassed but I offered $10 and she took it. Here's the breakdown:

PS2 System (fat)
Wired PS2 Controller (x2)
Wireless PS2 Controller & Receiver
PS2 DVD Controller Receiver
Spindle & CD Case of 62 Playstation 2 Games
Imaginex Travel Castle with Figures
Mega Man Figures
Star Wars Figures
Pokemon Figures
Hot Wheels Cars
Pokemon Center bag filled with d6s
Pokemon Emerald GBA SP Case
Yu-Gi-Oh! Wrist Mount Card Holder

The spindle was a complete surprise and while there were not a lot of quality titles, it was made up with quantity. Some of the highlights though were every Ratchet & Clank, Spyro, and Jak & Daxter game, Mega Man X4, and Jumping Flash 2. My dad is taking the rest to a swap meet next weekend and will be selling them for me for $2 each. I'll make my money back and then some hopefully and put more towards my student loan!

14874698552_880178f537_b.jpg

Pulled up to this sale and looked around for a bit. They had a CIB Genesis but I really didn't want to give $10 for it with no games. However, I spotted a couple laptops. I asked the price and she said she wanted $10 each. I told her that was way more than I thought they were worth and said that they have no power bricks and one was missing the battery and told her they were only worth about $1 each to me. She didn't bat an eye and said she'd take it. Figure I'll pull the HD out and use a USB Bridge to have a new storage device for my Wii U.

As a side note, the laptops are an HP Compaq nc6400 and Gateway m360

14894895203_cfe1f9b37c_b.jpg

This was a really out of the way sale and I didn't really get much ROI from it but at least it was something. Games were marked $1 each and I offered $2 for 3 and she took it. I got:

World of Illusion
Rocket Knight Adventures
NBA Jam T.E.

14874688462_cb64a9aae0_b.jpg

This was a sale I stopped at after work on Friday. I checked out what was around and picked out the following:

Tales From the Crypt (DVD)
Tales From the Hood (DVD)
Akira (DVD)
ATV Offroad Fury (PS2)
Grand Theft Auto Vice City (PS2)
Family Feud (PS)
NBA Live 08 (PS3)

I ended up getting everything for $6. The games will serve as good trade fodder and I've always wanted a copy of Akira.

http://imgur.com/a/IvKTq

Here is an album to the NERF gun lot I found last week.  I am currently trying to figure out what to do with them lol.  Don't really have any darts.

Wrong county =P~ . Rockville's in Montgomery. There aren't a lot of yuppies in PG, and Howard has passed Montgomery on the wealthiest counties list.

Still right about on target though with Rockville in general.

I keep trying, but someone wanted a n64 console with some games for $200.

I kinda meant in comparison to something like a ps2/ps3/xbox 360 game. There might be a lot out there, but clearly there aren't enough to where the game can be found for cheap. Plus they don't sell them in stores anymore, despite their supposed wide availability and held value (talking about DS games here, not gba stuff). I'm not saying they're not worth $40 dollars or whatever, but there are like 14 pokemon games I want, 9 of them I really want (the DS ones), even if I get very lucky and can find each one of the DS games for $20 even, which is highly unlikely, that's still 180 bucks I'd rather not spend on older games that don't have cases/manuals which should be 15-20 max in my opinion (this site has made me really cheap with my game spending habits).

@MikeTV

There are more copies of the Pokemon games out there than there are 99% of PS2/360/PS3 games. You probably see those Pokemon games more often than you see 99% of other DS games also, they all sold EXTREMELY well. They aren't limited in any way, they're just out of print, popular and highly in demand .

There are more copies of the Pokemon games out there than there are 99% of PS2/360/PS3 games. You probably see those Pokemon games more often than you see 99% of other DS games also, they all sold EXTREMELY well. They aren't limited in any way, they're just out of print, popular and highly in demand .
Don't forget that the older generations (1, 2, even 3) of pokemon games are quite old and the batteries are starting to fail. The amount of people that throw the cart away after a failed battery without looking up how to restore it (Painfully simple) is much higher than the people that will repair them or sell them to someone who will.

Don't forget that the older generations (1, 2, even 3) of pokemon games are quite old and the batteries are starting to fail. The amount of people that throw the cart away after a failed battery without looking up how to restore it (Painfully simple) is much higher than the people that will repair them or sell them to someone who will.
Sure but they're still super common. Besides, he's talking about mainly the DS games where that isn't a concern.

Sure but they're still super common. Besides, he's talking about mainly the DS games where that isn't a concern.
I think most Nintendo first-party games are weird in terms of value anyways. Mario Kart and Pokemon in particular just hold value too well, probably because they have so much versatility in terms of how you can play with them.

I did the 127 sale again, it goes pretty close to me. I don't know why though, its usually terrible. There are very little yard sales and mostly its these big empty fields in the middle of nowhere where a bunch of scummy flea market vendors set up and sell stuff they found in the garbage (literally, go on the last day and most of them don't pack anything up, they just leave it in piles on the side of the road) A few years ago before retro game collecting exploded it was great...one year I found a Jaguar for $5, Duck Tales 2 for 75 cents, and a Sega CD for a dollar all in one day! I think its those memories that make me keep doing it, I keep thinking that next fairground of vendors I pull up to is gonna have a Dracula X or something. It was raining in my usual hotspot anyway so I decided what the hell!

The only thing I found video game related whatsoever was Pikmin 2 for $10 from a reseller who bragged about some other resller bought Conker's Bad Fur day from him for $60 so he could resell it, to which I replied "resell it for what? a $15 profit?" Then I found on Sunday in the trash an 001 GBA with Mario Advance in it. The guy that usually has some games did have a bunch of uncommon 2600 games but he wanted $4 a piece, which was too much because they were all 1 or 2 dollar games (even though they were still uncommon)....but then I found a friggin TI-83 Plus Silver Edition calculator and he only wanted $4 for that too! Wtf! Okay, $4 for a $2 game and $4 for a $120 calculator...makes sense! Another guy had a dirty beaten up Sega CD with no cords at all, looked like it had been drug down a dirt road and he wanted $75 for it! He had some common SNES games and he wanted $20 a piece for them. He kept saying "yeah dawg...I mean like, I know its a yard sale n shit but I know what dis stuff is worth homie" He said it as if he was ashamed of himself for asking such retarded prices lol. Another guy had a 2600 that was almost totally rusted out, no cords, 4 common games and he told my friend he wanted $25 because "I'm takin a risk at 25....if that thing works its worth a thousand dollars!" I came by the next day and offered $5 and he said "no, I can do $15" so I said "fine, I'll do that, where is the power adapter" and he responds with "uhhhh I don't really know anything about those things". So he somehow knows its worth $1000 but he doesn't know what the power adapter even looks like? 

I was lucky, I had about 5 different family members all over the 127 sale in different areas and they were on the lookout for games as well, all I was able to find from them was Shinobi for NES for $5 and Pokemon yellow for $3. There are just TOO MANY people all looking for that stuff, I'd imagine there are 100s of game collectors doing the 127 sale all looking for games, its nearly impossible to find any game related stuff anymore. You kinda just go for the novelty of it now. 

However my greatest score, and this is one of my favorite scores of all time because these are so hard to find, came from some off the beaten path game store. They had a ton of CIB uncommon Colecovision games on a shelf, as you may know, with CV, you usually only ever see the same 5-10 games over and over again. Well this was all stuff I've NEVER seen, and all mint complete in their boxes. I asked "how much are these coleco games" and the owner says "uhhh I dunno....75 cents a piece?" I almost had a heart attack, I went back and cleared off the entire shelf and walked away with all this for $23

HiAmMw4.jpg

I haven't even added the values of all these up yet but even at around $20 a piece, thats close to $500 retail for those. I would never sell these anyway....I might sell the boxes and manuals and keep the carts at some point

I bet a lot of people don't even test them to find out the battery failed so there are still a lot of carts out there.

Besides it says the game can still be played, to throw out a game that is still usable is stupid.

Well not where I live apparently. As I said in my original post, out of the 3 YEARS that I've been doing this, I've only ever encountered 3 pokemon DS games, where as with these ps2 games, well I see the grand theft autos a lot that's no surprise, but recently saw kingdom hearts 1 at one garage sale 2 weeks ago, and both kingdom hearts 1 and 2 at a sale the week after, and have probably seen it several other times before.

It's infuriating, I hardly ever see any DS related games whatsoever, and when I do, 99% of the time it's Nintendogs or Mario Kart, and I don't live in that small of a city, there's a population of 50,000 people. I get up early in the morning, there's also no gameshops other than gamestop in my city, so it's not like we have to deal with those kinds of resellers. As far as just the regular ebay seller is concerned, well I'm not too certain, I've been trying to look out for signs of them recently, but idk. There are what, NINE pokemon DS games? And I have only seen 3 in 3 years? I never spot them at garage sales, not even overpriced copies. So either I just have crap luck and live in a crappy area with not many gamers, or there aren't as many copies out there as you say there are. That, or the vast majority of them are being held hostage by resellers wanting ridiculous prices for them.

I don't see DS Pokemon games either. I'm sure when there are any they get snapped up quick, but more likely people just don't want to sell them. 95% of DS games I see are Imagine Babyz type crap, and if I'm extremely lucky there'll be an Animal Crossing or Mario mixed in. (Also: the New Super Mario Bros I got earlier this year, despite having a legit case and manual, was a bootleg.  :bomb: )

DS games go quickly in any area. Gamers, Resellers, Parents, and Grandparents all look for them. Personally I dislike portable gaming, so I have  gallon sized bags full of gameboy through 3DS games. I don't know what to do with them other than trade them to GS. I'm "out of the game" somewhat, so I don't have a BB membership anymore and I am too lazy to get up to date on trade values, so they just sit.

DS games go quickly in any area. Gamers, Resellers, Parents, and Grandparents all look for them. Personally I dislike portable gaming, so I have gallon sized bags full of gameboy through 3DS games. I don't know what to do with them other than trade them to GS. I'm "out of the game" somewhat, so I don't have a BB membership anymore and I am too lazy to get up to date on trade values, so they just sit.
If you ever want some help going through them, feel free to send me some pics. I've been picking up a lot of portable stuff recently, plus I'm a big fan of Nintendo portables so I generally have good idea what's good and what's not, so I can at least let you know what's worth playing (they are some real gems on the DS). And I'm always down for trades. ;)

Keep in mind what was on the shelves at Walmart is what you will be seeing for most DS games. What was on the shelf here was nothing more than umpteen copies of petz and imagine games, with hardly any first party games at all. It's gotten much better with the 3ds though as there is less shovelware so the stores here are placing the focus on the good first party games.

I have only seen 3 pokemon games in my entire 15 year garage sailing career. 2 of which were bought a couple weeks ago and 1 which was a destroyed pokemon blue cart.

My gamestop used to have stacks of the GBA games so I am guessing the high trade in prices sent most of the games there, but with the DS games the store locator doesn't show any in stock. I find that most people won't let a DS go unless it's busted because no matter how old it is it's always something the kids can use to keep quiet in the car or on a road trip so even if it's not being used regularly parents save it for those occasions. It also doesn't require wifi like Apple devices, where many games won't start up without wifi or a cellular connection.

Man, sounds like I've been pretty lucky with regards to Pokemon, though I haven't really found any of the DS stuff. Last year I found Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald all CiB for $3 each, and this year I've found copies of Gold, Blue, and Yellow. Right now all I need are Silver and Crystal and I'll have a complete set of the pre-DS games. I'd love to find more DS stuff, but I already have at least one game from those generations that I bought retail.

I'd say specifically the GBA pokemon are the hardest to find in my area. I tend to find the N64, gameboy/color, gamecube, and DS games at garage sales. I don't think I have ever found a GBA pokemon game at a yard sale, though I have seen them at thrift stores and HPB.

bread's done
Back