2014 Yardsale thread

For the first time in a very long time, it absolutely poured here. However, I went out around 1ish after it cleared up and bought automotive ramps and a trap thrower for skeet shooting. Paid $15 for the pair.

Hit up a few today as it's the weekend of the town fair, which used to always mean a lot of yard sales. Today, I got to I think 7. Half of which were total busts of nothing but kid's clothes.

Only game I saw was an old Gamecube basketball game for $2. I passed.

Ended up getting a 1969 Hawaii license plate for $2 (off my great aunt and uncle) and then found a copy of Blazing Saddles on Blu-Ray for $2 at the farmer's market. (Oddly, the label is stuck on with packing tape... upside down on the case.)

Got the Orange Box PS3 for $10, which was worth it out of the choices in this one particular sale. Definitely didn't want that Madden XX deluxe box.

Everything else was a bust.

So far my best find to date.

$36 for the lot, all one place

Games  $5 each:
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GCN)
Legend of Zelda:  Collector''s Edition (GCN)
Resident Evil (GCN)
Resident Evil 4 (GCN)
Final Fantasy 3 (DS)
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow (DS)
Children of Mana

CDs  $0.50 each
Thousand Foot Krutch: Set It Off
P.O.D.  The Fundamental Elements of Southtown

All complete except for LoZ: CE which is disc only

Stopped at one sale on the way home. Guy had 360 games for $5-$15 like Dishonered GOTY, Fallout 3/NV GOTY, Diablo 3, Southpark SoT, and more.

Couldn't bring myself to go back across town and get cash. Didn't have any checks on me either.

Feeling like I've let the CAG community down.

Stopped at one sale on the way home. Guy had 360 games for $5-$15 like Dishonered GOTY, Fallout 3/NV GOTY, Diablo 3, Southpark SoT, and more.

Couldn't bring myself to go back across town and get cash. Didn't have any checks on me either.

Dishonored GOTY was $15 new at gamestop recently and target has a Fallo3/NV goty combo pack for ~$30 iirc

You did!

I learned from the guys here, I carry about $40 in 5 and 1 dollar bills, and usually around $100 in my wallet. Never know when you are gonna find the greatest find ever and not have cash.

Today I scored some stuff:

PS2 all of these for $1:

Rugby 2004

NBA Street 3

College Hoops 2k8

NFL Street 2

FIFA Street 2

I usually don't go for sports games, but these are the street versions, so they were a little better than NBA 2004 or whatever, and I have never played a PS2 basketball game. I love Rugby, and used to play until I got hurt. The lady only had sports games, from 2002-2010. It struck me as odd that she had every FIFA, soccer is not very big here. I already have 09 and 10, so I didn't bother, but I think those resell well.

Next Stop:

PS3 $1 each:

White Knight Chronicles 2

Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition

This guy had 360 stuff for epic prices, $15 for Rage, $25 for New Vegas, $55 for Ghosts. He said his stuff was the PS3 stuff, and the 360 stuff belonged to his neighbor. Ain't gonna sell nothing at that pirce.

Next stop was an Original Xbox treasure hoard. A hoard of crap. I picked a sealed Mechassault, and Deus Ex for $10 total. He wanted 5 a piece, and there really wasn't much else worth having, except maybe RAW 2, everything else I already have on PS2 or another system. Xbox is mainly for exclusives anyways. I also passed on a Model 1 Genesis, it was pretty nasty and didn't have the TV cord or a controller. I don't have any games, and I had no way to test it or try it out. I could have swapped it to my buddy at the flea market, but it needed cleaned up badly.

All in all it ended up being a decent day. I passed on a PS2 bundle, because I had every game in there. I passed on a $25 DS, because there was no charger and I could not get it to power on. It was a little rough looking, $5 I was in, but if it was a blown fuse, I would have just been out the cash. I passed on some PS2 and 3 games, and assorted Wii shovelware. I haven't seen any real good games for a while, and I really don't know if they are out there this year. I've seen a lot of common stuff, and very few vintage things.

I think I've gotten to the point of my PS2 collection that 2 extra consoles, 6 extra controllers and over 400 games, that the stuff I don't have are either rare, shovelware, or a yearly sports title.

Picked up

Psp 3000 x3-$10 total, all in below average shape
Sonic the hedgehog ultimate gaming chair-15
Jurassic park 360-2 bucks

Odds and ends otherwise. Wife drug me out yardsaling at noon so I didn't figure on any epic finds. Thought I had a nice dream cast lot but guy wanted 65 for the system and 3 games, geez!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dishonered is FREE on Games with Gold

Got caught by a fake yard sale trap today. Person posted on craigslist saying they were having a yard sale and had many vintage game systems for $5/ ea and games for $1/ ea. The pictures they posted showed an NES, Turbografx and Sega Genesis/ CD/32x combo in the top of a box and 3 or 4 boxes of games. They also posted about sterling and gold at 25% below scrap, vintage baseball cards, etc which should have tipped me off.

Get there to see no yard sale and a sign written on computer paper saying "No I am not having a yard sale stop waking me up." And to make things even better (and I'm sure the Craigslist posters intent) was the road was a 1 way that was shut down for construction and there were some many cars that came to the yard sale it took 35 minutes to get off the street. At that point I just turned around and came home.

I went to link the post on here but it was already deleted for being marked as spam.
I am pretty sure I found a fake sale today as well, fortunately for me I was able to drive right by the house since it was a nearby house but in my case I just saw no activity at the house on the day the sale was listed. I really should have known because they had way too many things listed, pretty much ANYTHING you would ever want from a yard sale they had listed in at least 3-4 large paragraphs which is something I don't commonly see in yard sale ads here so I guess that is a red flag, when they list things with excessive descriptions and very specific descriptions of exactly what was there, wasn't games and electronics though ...more like things like singer sewing machines, longaberger baskets, and pretty much any household good that was anything of value was listed here etc..., I was going to post the ad here but it looks like it got taken down, so it probably was actually a fake sale.

Either that or that is a house that belongs to hoarder for sure!

My city is not too busy on the residential road on Saturdays, but I generally don't enter area's that I know have a lot of construction on yard sale day, similarly most people who are near places where construction is occuring know better not to hold a sale because they will get no business. If I saw a sale on a street that I know was being worked on I would not go. We have a lot of streets that are being re-paved right now and I have lived here a long time so I know what goes on, plus our city posted a list of what was going to be re-paved and when so I had all the info ahead of time.

Finds 8-2-14 (almost caught up!)

There were several sales advertising games with a couple of them listing SNES, Genesis, PS1, etc.  This is well out of the norm around here these days since people have been avoiding the use of the word "game" in their advertisements for about the past year.

First sale of the day had advertised DS and 360, this was on the way for another sale in the next town over that mentioned lots of stuff.  Only items they had were a few 360 sports games and this slightly beat up DS.  They were asking $25 but got them to $10 for lack of charger.  Still had a charge and operates great.

This is from the sale a few weeks ago where I was complaining about the guy being a choad. 

Brief review: I picked up some games from a flat priced pile just to have him pull them saying he can't sell them.  Looking prices up online then quoting me a price then reneging on the deal.  He had some ok NES, SNES and Genesis stuff in small quantities but the best stuff was Dreamcast games and a few PS1 titles.  He had many sealed non-common Dreamcast titles and I have been trying to bolster that collection.  The prices were a little less than I would pay on Ebay or at game stores so I would have purchased more but the whole interaction with him pissed me off.  At the end all I wanted to do was leave.  Ended up leaving with Time Stalkers (sealed), Charge N Blast (sealed) and Reefer Madness for $20 simply because the deal was still in place. 

Went back to town in a foul mood to hit up the sale I figured was a reseller, it ended up being some of my competition; the Jeeper.  He didn't have anything special out, I could tell it was extras he wanted to get rid of.  Picked up Paper Boy for $4 since I didn't have it.  There were some Gameboy games and consoles out that I would normally inquire about but I knew I wouldn't like the prices.

Last sale of the day I found a little basket with foreign coins.  Ask how much and he said a nickel each.  I asked how much for all and he said $1.  Sold!  I pulled out more than $3 in Canadian coins, so yeah.  Note the Namco token featuring Pac Man on top.  I also picked up a minty copy of Caesars Palace II for PS1 for $0.50 (obviously not pictured).  Figured it would end up making a nice replacement case.

Going through the N64 games I picked up today and Banjo Kazooie is the Not for Resale version, which sells for a bit more so that's a bonus. Only copy on ebay right now is $175 BIN, but that's waaaaaay over what it actually sells for, more like in the $40 range from what I can see.

Found a sale on the way to tennis. Got a empty elite shell for $3 and the controller for $15. Love that red glossy look. Always wanted to paint a 360 shell. Now I have to decide what the hell should I put on it lol.

7AXY5AY.jpg

As expected, that snes didn't work.  It powers on if the cord is just in the right position, but no video comes from it.  Wondering if I should attempt to sell it at a garage sale of my own or just trash it.

edit:  Nvm, it actually does work, tried the solution that the 9th comment suggested on this page http://techforums.nintendo.com/thread/5834, using a credit card with some alcohol and a sheet, and it boots up.  Still has a loose power connection, but a quarter for a SNES with a manageable fault isn't too bad, makes the day not absolutely worthless.

As expected, that snes didn't work. It powers on if the cord is just in the right position, but no video comes from it. Wondering if I should attempt to sell it at a garage sale of my own or just trash it.

edit: Nvm, it actually does work, tried the solution that the 9th comment suggested on this page http://techforums.nintendo.com/thread/5834, using a credit card with some alcohol and a sheet, and it boots up. Still has a loose power connection, but a quarter for a SNES with a manageable fault isn't too bad, makes the day not absolutely worthless.
If you've ever wanted to custom case / mod / portable-ize a console, that would be a great unit to use since the case is damaged and the power connection is meh.

I never used to have the chance to go to yard sales due to my work schedule, so I'm embracing my new work schedule and trying to get out as much as possible. I had two places planned, one I found out last night another local online had already snaked and the other they were holding stuff for me, but I got a text on my way over that the woman holding the sale's father had already sold what she was supposed to be holding for me. I was pretty ticked on both accounts, but I decided to go out anyway, and found 2 sales that weren't listed anywhere. Got everything here plus 10 N64 controllers, 7 Sega Genesis controllers, and a Gamecube controller and power cord for $72 total.
Never trust anyone to hold anything for you at yard sales. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten sharked out of stuff I've had held for me.

Hell, I've even arrived at a sale, 15 minutes before they told me to, to find them in the act of selling the items that were promised to me. The worst part? I caught them selling half of what was promised to me... he had already sold the other half before I even got there... and I got there 15 minutes before he told me to.

If you've ever wanted to custom case / mod / portable-ize a console, that would be a great unit to use since the case is damaged and the power connection is meh.
I've always had an interest in case modding, but never really knew where to start, what to start with (something easy or hard).

This is what I picked up at a large community sale Adobe Illustrator 10 and PageMaker 6.5 for Mac both sealed for $10 total. I also got Urban Strike for $4, Pokemon diamond for $5 and ducktales for $4

Had a pretty good weekend for yard sales, cleaned up at a couple and found a few things I've been after.

On Saturday morning the first sale I hit was at a house a few blocks from my house that I emailed ahead of time and confirmed they had games. I showed up and found that they had a PS2, a GameCube, a GBA SP, and a bunch of PS2, DS, and PSP games. I got all of the following below for $35, although Pokemon Pearl, Harvest Moon, and Parappa 2 are empty. It's alright though, as they're games I want and hopefully I can find them game-only for cheap.

Next up was a "flea market" a few streets over that's really just a semi-annual community yard sale. I usually find some good stuff, and this time was no exception. I got all of the stuff below for about $40.

Next up was a sale that I emailed ahead of time and said they had a bunch of video game stuff they were getting rid of AND who were interested in maybe trading some games for MAGFest tickets. Unfortunately when I get there the mom of the family had put the kibosh on trading any games, and all they had were $10 and $15 common 360 and PS3 games. I did grab these Pokemon figures for $5, so not a total loss.

Next find was at a sale advertising games, but I got there a little late so I wasn't expecting much. Turned out someone had already cleaned out the cheap stuff, but they hadn't put everything out yet. The seller turned out to be a collector who was looking to get ride of some of his collection to finance a couple of albums. I got everything below for $60. The GameCube alone was $25, which I splurged on because it's modded to play non-US games.

I stopped by a few more after that and managed to grab Animal Crossing for DS and Wii CiB along with Super Mario Advance 4 for $8. Today (Sunday) I hit a nearby sale and picked up one of those Atari joystick consoles for $5 (our MAGFest Ataris are constantly breaking). The seller has a bunch of other VG stuff she's going to put on Craigslist, but I gave her my card and hopefully she'll give me first crack at buying them before anyone else does.

Nice finds this week. I especially like seeing TMNT IV: Turtles in Time & DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 2. In college we played DBZ BT2 all the time.

I found:

$1 Fight Night Round 4

$1 LittleBigPlanet GOTY

$1 Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY

$1 Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 (vanilla)

$1 Naruto Ultimate Ninja: Storm

$1 Sports Champions 2

All for PS3 & at the same yard sale. Also bought 2 WWII era Navy radios for $2 each. No idea of the value, they were just cool, and cheap.

For $2 I got another Sony Cassette Walkman. Love these things for flipping. They're always cheap, and always worth at least $15 (same goes for CD Walkmen)

Also ended up buying a Bose Acoustimass 15 Surround set today for $100 at a sale. Listed it for sale online, and it already sold. That's a tidy profit.

I hit a comic store in MI. They just got in 5 boxes of pristine PS1 and PS2 games. There was a guy going through them already. He had pulled 2 Lunar games, 3 differnt Mega Man ps1 games, various RPGs etc....a lot of games I have never even seen before. I have a feeling he paid top dollar though. The owner said they wouldn't be cheap and he rarely deals on stuff. I dropped $100 on comics and he didn't even give me the last one (101) free. I wish I could have seen what he paid, but the lot basically included every PS1 game and the guy who sold them only played them once. The guy who was buying them knew more about games than me, so I didn't bother trying to look through the others that he didn't get to yet.

Yikes, It's awesome to see all those PS1 games together but when they're at a shop I always hate wondering what the original owner was paid for them. Those PS1 Lunar games still elude me. I'm playing the PSP remake. Loved the Sega CD version. And still haven't played Eternal Blue on any console.

I would love the opportunity to pay top dollar on certain PS1 RPGs.  Much of the stuff I want wasn't sold locally when new.  I'm sure I could get most of them online but I prefer to know it's in the condition I expect when paying that much.  The most I've spent on a single game is $110.  To get certain games I'm wanting I'm sure that is going to change in the future.

I had to out Sunday around lunch time so I hit up the only 2 sales that I saw posted in the area. One was a bust, the other was pretty good.

$24

Mario Kart DS - sealed

Left4Dead 2 - 360

Black Ops 2 - 360

Madden 25 - 360

Beautiful Katamari - 360

There was also a some Adventure Time, My Little Pony and stuff like that there. They wanted to know if I was a Brony, I said no. I would've grabbed some of the Adventure Time stuff (or MLP to resell) if it didn't look used or a little beat up.

This yard sale seemed to be run by some hippy-esque people.They were all like in their 20's. One of the girls running it had some of the worst body odor I have ever smelled before and definitely the wost I'd ever smelt from a girl. It was definitely her too because I could smell it when she moved around.

I would love the opportunity to pay top dollar on certain PS1 RPGs. Much of the stuff I want wasn't sold locally when new. I'm sure I could get most of them online but I prefer to know it's in the condition I expect when paying that much. The most I've spent on a single game is $110. To get certain games I'm wanting I'm sure that is going to change in the future.
My brother has the best PS1 RPG libraries that I know of. We're talking the Final Fantasies and their Anthologies, Legend of Dragoon, Suikoden 1 & 2, Tactics Ogre, etc. He was on a kick for a while to own them all, so he scoured GameStops and grabbed them used in that window between when they first came out and when they started becoming rare. I've been trying to catch up, but at least I can borrow them if I get the urge to play.

I just stumbled across a disc-only Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis for pc; I'll have to test it considering the moderate to heavy wear but it could be worth $60-70?

I just got done testing my Dreamcast stuff, and even though the woman running the sale said one of the systems didn't work, they both worked fine for me.

I did, however, discover that one of the VMU's had save data for Skies of Arcadia and Grandia II which was pretty disheartening. But it doesn't seem like they got very far so I'm just hoping they were rentals, rather than thinking someone snapped those up before I got there. There was also some save data for an NES emulator on one of them. :lol:

Also, Dynamite Cop is a ridiculously hilarious and awesome game.
Some of the old Dreamcasts will get finicky with their lasers and play possum to make you think they're dead when they're really not. I'm still using one that cuts out on CDs occasionally and on Skies of Arcadia but works otherwise.

Somehow I got beat by resellers at EVERY sale this weekend for the first and so far only time this entire summer. I got to the first sale 35 minutes early just to see if they would be out yet and some reseller was already there buying everything. Every sale after that I heard "someone just bought all the games". Its just weird that there has been virtually zero competition all summer, now all of sudden when yard sale season is almost over the vultures are coming out. I'm kinda ready to be done with yard sales anyway, I got a friggin' TON of games that I've been looking for for years and I want to just spend a week straight playing them all till my eyes fall out. This year I got to the point where I got so many games that I don't even have time to play any of them

I'm kinda ready to be done with yard sales anyway, I got a friggin' TON of games that I've been looking for for years and I want to just spend a week straight playing them all till my eyes fall out. This year I got to the point where I got so many games that I don't even have time to play any of them
I keep telling myself that, and then I see another sale that looks promising. Maybe when I finally find E.V.O. or a Gamecube Component Cable I'll be sated for a bit.

I keep telling myself that, and then I see another sale that looks promising. Maybe when I finally find E.V.O. or a Gamecube Component Cable I'll be sated for a bit.
I've managed to find E.V.O. for under $5 three different times over the last five years (one of those times it was mint in box with shrink wrap still intact). Keep looking and I'm sure you'll find it.

I was tempted to try to trade the CiB Bubble Bobble Part 2 I find earlier this year for both of those, but in the end my wife and I decided the best thing we could do was sell it and use the money to start a savings account for the baby. Totally gonna rub this in his face someday, too. ;)

I was tempted to try to trade the CiB Bubble Bobble Part 2 I find earlier this year for both of those, but in the end my wife and I decided the best thing we could do was sell it and use the money to start a savings account for the baby. Totally gonna rub this in his face someday, too. ;)
That is the most irrational thing I ever heard. Obviously the game should be kept in a mylar bag locked away inside a display case for the next 40 years. Your child will appreciate that you made the right choice and through that choice you will have taught him the value of saving, finances, investing and more. You can stare at it lovingly together before dropping him off to his job at McDonalds.

My dad still rubs it in my face that he turned down stock options in early Apple in favor of a cash bonus to help when I was born!

EDIT: My bad I realized later it was Microsoft stock he was offered as a bonus (500 shares) that today would be worth almost $4 million.

Ouch, that is pretty rough! At least I can rest easy knowing that the value probably won't get *too* much higher and will probably peak within a couple of years. Too be honest I was kind of glad to be rid of it: having something that valuable around was making me me anxious and there were a couple of local collectors bugging me about it. As a side note, I've learned a valuable lesson about sharing my finds on Facebook...

I emailed a guy about his yardsale that is going to have  SNES and other games. E-mailed to see what he had and he had good stuff. Got excited for a minute until I saw the price tags of 40 dollars for Castlevania, 20 for Mario All-Stars, $60, and I'm sure one game he is just going to want like $200 for.

This is in the area I usually avoid because it is super super crowded, with people pushing and shoving and trying to grab stuff from the owners as they walk out. It is like a little mini-Black Friday every weekend.

I'd like to see the faces of people when the sale starts. There will be the cars parked and the people literally running for the yard to be greeted by those prices. The old man with the grandchildren "who love Nintendos" will be there camped out super early.

I heard back from him after saying the prices were too high - especially for a yardsale and got these sell that high all the time and he uses eBay.

Mario RPG goes for 50 all the time, etc. If I did buy a bunch of games those he might be up for knocking down the prices like 10 bucks to 40. I wonder how much he will want for his House of the Dead for Saturn - that one price was left blank.

I was looking for a gamecube component cable for the last 3 years. I finally just gave up and got one for 118 shipped on amazon from a third party. Its the most Ive spent on a used game item. Not too bad though, considering its gone up even more since then. It now sells for around 150-180.

I think Ive reached the point where I may start spending good money on the items I still want. Ive been wanting a disc 4 of panzer dragoon saga for a while, and I think I may just spend the $60 or so on it. It used to be that when I went game hunting I would find a bunch of games that I didn't own, but now I mostly just see ones I have and its just not the same. sigh I say this but then Ill find something good and that will keep my hunting for a while...

Yeah, I've been kicking myself because I could have got one for $80 back in the spring. I REALLY should have gone for it, but I thought I could find it cheaper. Dumb dumb dumb.

Still, there's some hope on the horizon. The amazing lot I got a while back was apparently only about half of that person's collection. I'm checking back with her every so often to see about getting the rest, though unfortunately she's been resistant to my offers to help dig it out. Maybe there will be something in there I can trade for some of the rarer stuff I want. 

[quote name="Mike_TV" post="12023487" timestamp="1408533808"]Ouch, that is pretty rough! At least I can rest easy knowing that the value probably won't get *too* much higher and will probably peak within a couple of years. Too be honest I was kind of glad to be rid of it: having something that valuable around was making me me anxious and there were a couple of local collectors bugging me about it. As a side note, I've learned a valuable lesson about sharing my finds on Facebook...[/quote]

One of my friends who posts pictures of his house and all his expensive stuff on FB got robbed of everything a while back. This is OT but it needs to be said... NEVER under any circumstance post pictures of your valuables or things in your house on FB. It will lead to robbery for sure. This includes pictures of you or your kids standing or playing in front of your big screen TV etc..

Finds 8-9-14

This was the weekend of the highway 127 sale.  Was supposed to go with some family members that were leaving town at 9:00 so I had a little time to hit local sales.  Found absolutely nothing.  Meet up with the family at 9:00 and of course after having to stop for gas, to drop something off at someone's house and breakfast, we finally left town at 9:45.  :wall:  Stopped at a few scattered sales during the 1 hour drive so ended up arriving at the highway at 11:15.  I figured it would be all flea market vendors, I was not disappointed in my prediction.  First stop I saw a handful of SNES games sitting out marked half price off.  Original prices: Mario World $24..... I stopped even looking at that point.

All of these were from various sales except Wild Arms 3, NBA2k11 and Centipede for the Atari 400/800 which were all from the same sale.

Wild Arms 3 PS2 $2

NBA 2K11 PS3 $ 2

Centipede Atari 400 / 800 $1

Turtles Battle Nexus PS2 $3

RC Helicopter PS1 $1

Naval OPs Commander PS2 $4

The Family DVD $3

Psychomania / Alice Sweet Alice VHS $0.25

0-1" micrometer $4

DSi power cable (sealed) $2

Kodak XL55 movie camera CIB (no battery) $2

At two stops in a row (including this one), there were complete Genesis systems with a few crappy sports games.  First one I saw was for the low price of $75.  The one I saw a mile down the road was discounted, only $65.

CDs $1 each.  Was kinda surprised the Beatles albums were still there and this was the majority that he had.

This was somewhat off the beaten path, there were chickens in the front yard and the Amish were out en force.  Two houses in a row had a ton of WWE DVDs, I know they had to be best buds.  Everything pictured was $1 each.  This completes the entire series of Weeds for me from all the sets I found last year, still haven't watched a single episode.  Anyone here recommend it?  Was about to grab some more PS2 shovel ware just to have some nice replacement cases but decided against it.

Probably one of the better pick-ups of the day, we stopped in Greenville, OH to have some Maid-rites.

Not exactly a yard sale pickup, but I went to drop off some cardboard at the local recycling center. Lo and behold sitting right on top of the VHS bin were these three babies. All complete and in really nice condition apart from a little dust. Very excited as I had a cart only copy of TJ&E.

Q0WCGPSl.jpg

SaraAB: That's a very good point, and one I'm taking to heart now.

Make sure you remove any GPS data on the pictures you post, for obvious reasons. Most people don't.
Ah yes, I see there's an option on Photobucket to scrub pictures as I upload them, but does anyone know how to scrub them once they're there?

The first 3 seasons of Weeds are really good. Its all downhill from there but those first few are definitely worthwhile.
x2 but I still had to watch them all and enjoyed them....

lol found 1-3 at a garage sale and did a marathon... ticky tacky....

bread's done
Back