2015 Thrift Store Thread -- Share Your Findings Here

Well that was an unexpectedly pleasant trip to GW. 

NES with Nintendo brand ac adapter- $25.....works just fine, thats about as cheap as ill find one at the local GWs these days! 

Killzone 3 complete, Xbox One headset adapter like new(works great)- $4 apiece

The Bouncer, Mobile Suit Gundam Journey To Jaburo, Star Wars The Clone Wars, GTASA Platinum Hits, and Crash Warped (that I posted about the other day)- $3 apiece, all complete. GTASA has the map never unfolded but the case has a chipped piece. The Bouncer looks like it mightve gotten wet, the artwork is wavy. Gonna put something on it to try and flatten it out. 

Someone mustve dropped off their kids dvds, PS2, and Xbox games because there was quite a few today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was at a random Goodwill today and found Mario Dance Mix for $5 w/ off brand dance pads for $11/each. Saw some other Gamecube games too but nothing of worth. Didn't pick up Mario though. I was on a high from picking up a Gamecube at a yard sale for $15 w/ a platinum controller, gameboy player and start disc. All in like new condition.

Congrats juangrande386 on that Xbox adapter. Would have bought that up quick for my X1.

Stopped at a new Goodwill this afternoon, which unfortunately is in a district that is notorious for high prices and listing their good stuff on shopgoodwill.  Luckily, I found a complete copy of C&C Red Alert :ps1: for 1.99.

At my usual Goodwill, I not only got to witness somebody projectile vomit (while attempting to cover her mouth with her hand), but also found some CIB PC games for $1.99/ea.  The games are Bethesda's Pirates of the Carribean, C&C Generals Deluxe Edition and (the best of them all) Impossible Creatures.  I'm installing that one now to try it before listing it on Amazon.

Stopped at a new Goodwill this afternoon, which unfortunately is in a district that is notorious for high prices and listing their good stuff on shopgoodwill. Luckily, I found a complete copy of C&C Red Alert :ps1: for 1.99.
is that red alert for ps1 valuable? I have seen it a few times and hated it in the ps1, so I never get it.

At my usual Goodwill, I not only got to witness somebody projectile vomit (while attempting to cover her mouth with her hand), but also found some CIB PC games for $1.99/ea. The games are Bethesda's Pirates of the Carribean, C&C Generals Deluxe Edition and (the best of them all) Impossible Creatures. I'm installing that one now to try it before listing it on Amazon.
Nice find on Impossible Creatures. I found a CIB copy a few years back for a few dollars.

NWYRF05.jpg

Got a PS2 for $20.

Hey Sp00ge, are you willing to fix another star wars battlefront 2 game disc for me?

Last week, a Gamestop employee gave me a bunch of PS2 Games (+ Dark Cloud; not in photo) for free and you can have them in exchange for your work? Let me know.

KLifpNz.jpg

Qtss3tD.jpg

NWYRF05.jpg

Got a PS2 for $20.

Hey Sp00ge, are you willing to fix another star wars battlefront 2 game disc for me?

Last week, a Gamestop employee gave me a bunch of PS2 Games (+ Dark Cloud; not in photo) for free and you can have them in exchange for your work? Let me know.

KLifpNz.jpg

Qtss3tD.jpg
Sure thing! How is the Battlefront? About the same as the others?

is that red alert for ps1 valuable? I have seen it a few times and hated it in the ps1, so I never get it.
It's worth between $5-$10 complete. I love command and conquer games, but they lag horribly on ps1.

NWYRF05.jpg

Got a PS2 for $20.

Nice! You live in CA right?

It's worth between $5-$10 complete. I love command and conquer games, but they lag horribly on ps1.
I used to play link battle co-op on C&C Red Alert on the PS1 with a friend, it was horribly fun compared to what you would normally play on a PC. The extreme lag on that game helped you realize the computer was making a move en masse.

A fun tactic in the PS1 version was to make a gauntlet of turrets and one light tank, go and attack their ore truck, wait for the lag to hit, and then run that light tank back through your gauntlet. They will mostly ignore all the turrets and send their whole attacking army after that one tank.

My friend and I used to end those sessions with a proper LAN battle of Starcraft afterwards, oh the nostalgia...

NWYRF05.jpg

Got a PS2 for $20.

KLifpNz.jpg

Qtss3tD.jpg
which goodwill was it??

I am a big SW fan...so when I found this stuff at a Goodwill in Orlando I was pleased to buy them

The two puzzles are sealed and were $1 each. The two VHS tapes were 69 cents each, I got them because the art work is stunning! They didn't have RotJ sadly. And the book was $1. In total it was just under $5 for everything.

EYyZ36p.jpg

[attachment=13919:20150418_171821.jpg][attachment=13920:20150418_171853.jpg]

Paid $2 each for most of them at a local thift store.  Twisted Metal Head-On was $5 at Goodwill.

Warriors Orochi turned out to be a ex-rental from Hollywood Video judging from the case.  Also Devil Kings was so heavily scratched that I ended up having to take it to a local game store to get it resurfaced for a $1(now it works fine).

Found this at Goodwill for $3! Amazing find! It's the Dark Souls Future Press Official Strategy Guide (Hardcover). Very hard to find for a decent price. Wasn't even going to go to the books section but said wth and scored.

sgbW1U0.jpg

Found this at Goodwill for $3! Amazing find! It's the Dark Souls Future Press Official Strategy Guide (Hardcover). Very hard to find for a decent price. Wasn't even going to go to the books section but said wth and scored.

sgbW1U0.jpg
Nice! I actually scored one too last year at Savers for $4 and ended up flipping it for $80 on Amazon. I don't think it goes that much anymore last time I checked.

Score: New/Sealed Entourage The Complete Season 1 to 8 DVD Boxset for $8

Did not buy: A bunch of unopened action figures for $2 each, Gameboy Color for $10, some Atari 5200 games for $6 each.

rxhMOvT.jpg

mpRFAvk.jpg

MN5tLKK.jpg

DKfCxuY.jpg

Hope its good. My buddy keeps on bragging about it how good the show is and telling me I should watch the show before the movie.
Definitely a great show. It's very "bro" but that's the point. Basically a gritty "man" show that make your chest hairs grow faster as you watch it. Ok, exaggerating but its a good show. Could sell it afterwards since the complete set goes for $100+ used.

I haven't been finding anything recently until today I came up with these
Super Mario sunshine $3
Luigis mansion $3
Lego Creationary $4 looks brand new and has all the pieces

[attachment=14008:image.jpg]
[attachment=14009:image.jpg]

Definitely a great show. It's very "bro" but that's the point. Basically a gritty "man" show that make your chest hairs grow faster as you watch it. Ok, exaggerating but its a good show. Could sell it afterwards since the complete set goes for $100+ used.
Entourage is a "gritty man show"? Sure it is.

Haven't been out in a while but had a big score today. Found this Sanyo M9990 boombox at the local savers for $6.99

f6D5CN1.jpg

They seem to sell on ebay all cleaned up and in working condition for around $200-250, so I'm going to have to put a little bit of work into it but definitely a nice find in my opinion.

Saw an original Xbox at local goodwill today. With no cables or controllers.
$50. Ridiculous for something they got for free.

Saw an original Xbox at local goodwill today. With no cables or controllers.
$50. Ridiculous for something they got for free.
That sucks. I just picked one up from mine for $10, with cables and 2 controllers; one Duke and a Powerpad Pro (about as big as a Duke). The Xbox is a bit dusty, but judging by the label, it was a MS repair job. It is by far the quietest and best running Xbox I've ever found in the wild. I may just keep this one and retire my Mt Dew console to display-only.

I didn't take pick turned but I lucked into a couple things at G-dubs (Goodwill for those less gangster than I) earlier this week.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse WiiU - 19.99
Puzzle Kingdoms Wii - $3

I was planning on getting Kirby used at GS when I went back to seasonal employment there but this works too. Figured it was too cheap to pass up.

That sucks. I just picked one up from mine for $10, with cables and 2 controllers; one Duke and a Powerpad Pro (about as big as a Duke). The Xbox is a bit dusty, but judging by the label, it was a MS repair job. It is by far the quietest and best running Xbox I've ever found in the wild. I may just keep this one and retire my Mt Dew console to display-only.
I would have never even used that Mountain dew one for gaming. Its been collectible and when the laser goes the work into it wont make it worthwhile. Plus since xbox 360 being BC you can find original xbox as probably one of the most common cheapeast consoles to date.

The Xbox 360 doesn't play all original Xbox games. I'm sure of that cause a lot of Original Xbox Games I have don't load at all. Some just freezes on the start of the screen like Silent Hill 2.

Anyway, the original Xbox is like everywhere. I see them every time at my local thrift stores for $10-$25.

I recently saw an OG Xbox console for only $6, no cords or controllers, but I still passed on it. I just can't convince myself to buy one for some reason, mainly because I'll probably never play it, and the thing is too damn heavy I'll never flip it, shipping cost would eat any profitability alive.

But maybe that's just me.

I really wish I could find a nice OG Xbox on the cheap that actually worked, I've bought one 3 times now and every single one has had a bad disc drive, I really would like to play some of the gems I've found since I started collecting.

I see those OG xboxes all the time too, at one point I had 5 of them because my goodwill had them for $5 each. I kept one that was modded already and one that had a good disc drive, I ripped a bunch of CDs into it and use it as a garage stereo

Some of these finds are making me a bit jealous of the crappy stuff near me.

Except that nes with test cart that *was* near me...

If anyone finds a Cardinal of the Kremlin Amiga cart, shoot me a PM.

Went to 2 of my local GWs and got:

Rayman ps1 complete-$0.20
Crash Bash ps1 complete-$0.20
WCW vs the World ps1 complete-$0.20
102 Dalmatians ps1 complete-$0.20
NERF mag strike with clip-$3
Ps2 fat console-$15
Forza 4(xbox360)-$4
Lego Spider-Helicopter rescue 76016(new)-$20
Lego turtle van takedown 79115(new)-$20

Rolled into the local thrift store. Saw a $50 PS2 (it did have a memory card stuck in it, but no games and I think all the controllers were seperate) and a $20 fat PS1.

End up finding a USB "360" controller. Pretty sure it's one of those PC only jobs using knockoff parts as the X symbol says "Universal Serial Bus" and it doesn't have the headphone jack, in its place is a small plastic cover piece marked "MADE IN CHINA". Still, it was $2.99 so I couldn't pass it up. Even if it doesn't work, it should serve as parts. I played with the buttons and triggers and nothing is loose.

Also, grabbed the Guitar Hero On Tour DS gimmick as it was 99 cents. I'd seen Gamestop has plenty of the games for $1-2 and I figured my nephews might like it.

As a general rule of thumb I never buy standalone 6th gen consoles (PS2/Xbox/GC) for more than $10.  There are just too many things that can go wrong with them and you'll end up spending more on parts for a busted system than its worth.  It's getting harder to stick to this though since many thrift stores are starting to consider them retro now and pricing stuff like fat PS2's and Xbox's in the $25-50 range.

As a general rule of thumb I never buy standalone 6th gen consoles (PS2/Xbox/GC) for more than $10. There are just too many things that can go wrong with them and you'll end up spending more on parts for a busted system than its worth. It's getting harder to stick to this though since many thrift stores are starting to consider them retro now and pricing stuff like fat PS2's and Xbox's in the $25-50 range.
Exactly my theory. I normmaly pass them up regardless because of shipping prices. You're not making a whole lot with shipping rates on a fat ps2 or original xbox with controllers and cables. That's a 10 pound package. Even if the profit was small its not a cost effective practical thing with your time.

You'd have to buy cheap and sell local pickup.

Then as you say if you're not testing the console on the spot there is a million things that can be broke. It's not easy to disassemble and assemble these newer consoles. Many things can go wrong making the problem worse. Even when you know what you're doing lol at the amount of time you're wasting sitting with a soldering iron and a $10 dollar original xbox. It's time I'd rather find other ways to make a buck or enjoy the time to play games or whatever.

It's been my experience that GameCubes are stupid cheap. I've got two already, including a second I bought with a handful of assorted gaming items for $3.50. I found a third black Cube at another sale for five dollars; I passed on it because I just didn't need another one. I think the original Wii had destroyed the value of the GameCube system... nobody wants one because the Wii can play its games and do so much more.

Now GameCube GAMES, on the other hand, that's a different story.

bread's done
Back