2015 Thrift Store Thread -- Share Your Findings Here

It's been my experience that GameCubes are stupid cheap. I've got two already, including a second I bought with a handful of assorted gaming items for $3.50. I found a third black Cube at another sale for five dollars; I passed on it because I just didn't need another one. I think the original Wii had destroyed the value of the GameCube system... nobody wants one because the Wii can play its games and do so much more.

Now GameCube GAMES, on the other hand, that's a different story.
My problem with GameCube is finding consoles that have controllers with them or finding controllers seperate even. I just never see them in the wild. I've bought a total of two over the years, they were a pair of Mad Katz wireless ones (without the adaptors, of course) for 50 cents each. Granted, there are quite a few PSOnes and 2s and OG XBoxes sold without controllers, but it's so easy to find the spare controllers for them.

The Gamecube somehow how managed to top the N64 in that department as I rarely see N64 controllers in the wild either. My theory is that a time traveler is buying all of them in my area and using them to fight the robot uprising of 2018.

All complete in perfect mint condition:

Star Wars KOTR II $6

South Park Stick of Truth $6

Virtua Fighter Kids $6

DDR Ultramix 4 w/ Mat (game is sealed) $10

LmQ9TYP.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Gamecube somehow how managed to top the N64 in that department as I rarely see N64 controllers in the wild either. My theory is that a time traveler is buying all of them in my area and using them to fight the robot uprising of 2018.
I imagine part of that is how crappy the sticks are on the N64 and GC controllers. Games like Mario Party, Mario Kart, and Smash absolutely destroy those things, and I imagine people either keep those controllers as spares or throw them out all together.

11094677_896604520382583_1041634791_n.jpg

11158063_896530483723320_1892851272_n.jpg

first pic, just dance is sealed, monopoly streets is a game i always wanted to play, but it got kind of pricey, nice to find it for 2.99.  Mortal Kombat is a game i got rid of a while back, glad to have it back.  Second picture is a binder full of Dragonball Z cards for 5.99. Not sure

exactly whats in there yet, since i don't really collect those cards, but I have a few friends that are into the series, so figure I can always

send it to them if I don't do anything with them

https://youtu.be/Kwb6mw8gYyY

new pickups video up, with some stuff from thrifts, and some from the flea market, including a system i don't think i've owned yet which was cool. If you guys have a chance, check it out and comment, like, sub and all that stuff ;)

I hit up a goodwill and I saw a scanner going through the books. I got to the games before him and I found a gameboy player case/manual ans I was pretty happy. I opened it and it had an action replay disc inside. wa-wa. I bought it anyway for the case and the manual.

I hit up a goodwill and I saw a scanner going through the books. I got to the games before him and I found a gameboy player case/manual ans I was pretty happy. I opened it and it had an action replay disc inside. wa-wa. I bought it anyway for the case and the manual.
Depending on the version GameCube Action Replay discs can be worth money.

Picked all this up for $21. All games were complete and like new. Case is in great condition as well.

Depending on the version GameCube Action Replay discs can be worth money.
It says "DS" on it. It is a gamecube sized disc. I figured it was worth it for the replacement case and manual, since I have a few GB players.

I went through every game they had just to make sure it wasn't in one of the other cases.

It says "DS" on it. It is a gamecube sized disc. I figured it was worth it for the replacement case and manual, since I have a few GB players.

I went through every game they had just to make sure it wasn't in one of the other cases.
Ah, that's not going to be worth much. It's the PC software for the DS Action Replay.

Well I had another good money making day out at the thrifts. Not a ton gaming related again but I am gonna be adding some money to my pockets once again when all is said and done.

FCRIjto.jpg

At the first stop of the day I came across these three items, a Logitech Driving Force Pro Steering Wheel with the Pedals for the PS2, the Magnavox CDB-262 CD Player and a Protron DVD Recorder.

The Magnavox CD Player was purchased to flip, checked to make sure it worked and the last ones sold on ebay sold for $69 and $74 respectively and I bought mine for $4.99. Same story for the DVD recorder, I should be able to sell it for around $50 and I paid $9.99.

I have been after a steering wheel setup for my PC for the longest time and have been unable to find anything up until today when I came across this. I was unsure if it would work on my PC or not when I was at the thrift but when I saw the USB cable I figured I'd take a shot and sure enough it works great. Absolutely amazing how much of a difference a steering wheel setup can make for PC Racing games. Best of all the wheel was only $9.99. Here I am playing my new favorite game Dirt: Rally.

wv6ebFA.jpg

Finally, on my second stop of the day I came across this HP G60 laptop, I have no idea if it works but at $14.96 I figured I can take a shot, the screen does not looked to be cracked but the battery has no charge and I have to wait for a charger to come in from ebay before I can fully test it. I am prolly going to keep it for now as I recently sold off my laptop and tablet as I was going to go desktop only but for that price if it works it will make a decent laptop for here and there usage.

8FFCHeP.jpg

bpBGDVh.jpg

I have that wheel! And I bought it for, uh, $100 at a GameStop eight years ago...

But congratulations regardless. It really is top of the line, and it works beautifully with computers. I tried it with the original OutRun in MAME and it works like it was designed specifically for that game.

$15 is a damn good price for a laptop designed for Windows 7. Microsoft's best operating system, I say.

I have that wheel! And I bought it for, uh, $100 at a GameStop eight years ago...

But congratulations regardless. It really is top of the line, and it works beautifully with computers. I tried it with the original OutRun in MAME and it works like it was designed specifically for that game.

$15 is a damn good price for a laptop designed for Windows 7. Microsoft's best operating system, I say.
I'm going to hate upgrading from 7 to 10 but I can't pass up free upgrade.

SOCAL CAGERS!!! I did contract work in the area and GW near CSUF has some NES Games for $2 each.

1eU28XB.jpg

and this (not sure if complete) for $25 at Anaheim GW. Goes for like $150+ on eBay last time I checked.

hqdefault.jpg

Got myself an el cheapo Game Boy Advance SP (AGS-101) for ten bucks. Without a charger. A day after I bought one from another CAG member. -_-

Oh, this was a fun one. I found a GameCube at a Goodwill for five bucks. I thought it was a pretty good deal, until I opened it up to find THIS.

[attachment=14213:for me to poop on.jpg]

Uh, what happened inside this system? Do I really want to know?

Ah, that's not going to be worth much. It's the PC software for the DS Action Replay.
I have a PS2 Action Replay MAX disc but not the Action Replay memory card. Do you need the memory card to get the codes to work on your PS2? I tried doing it but it won't load at all.

I have a PS2 Action Replay MAX disc but not the Action Replay memory card. Do you need the memory card to get the codes to work on your PS2? I tried doing it but it won't load at all.
I think on Gameshark for PS2, the memory card was used to save files that were using the cheats or modifying save files, it wasn't necessary to load cheats and play, AR might be the same.

I'm not actually sure, I haven't used the PS2 AR; however, I believe the GameCube version needs the AR card. People will still buy the disc/card separate from each other as replacements, though.

Oh, this was a fun one. I found a GameCube at a Goodwill for five bucks. I thought it was a pretty good deal, until I opened it up to find THIS.

attachicon.gif
for me to poop on.jpg

Uh, what happened inside this system? Do I really want to know?
Dang :whistle2:( . Looks like mold. Probably water damage.

Found a PS1 that ran into a similar situation. Only it was rusted out.

Got an update for you guys. My $15 laptop from last week works perfectly. Only problem with it really is that the battery is dead. Got a replacement coming in for it. Installed a fresh copy of Ubuntu on it as it was a tad too weak for my liking on Windows 8.1. Besides that the hinge is a little messed up and the case has some damage. Makes a good spare laptop for the price that's for sure, especially after I sold off my other ones since I've become mainly a desktop only guy.

TMFP6KM.jpg

Had a good thrifting day. Stopped by goodwill and they had a bunch of salvage vita games. Almost got a couple at 5.99 but remembered I don't have a vita. However, in the case, they had $15 iTunes gift cards for $10. So I both the 2 they had for Mother's Day. Both are for my wife with one from me and one from the kids. Done.

Then I headed over to our community partnership resale shop and someone donated a ton of original TMNT figs. They were $2-4 each and a lot of figs like Ace Duck, Ghengis Frog, and Fulgoid. They also had an a Earthworm Jim figure with the Peter Puppy and Evil the Cat with him. I passed but will probably go back tomorrow to get him. The coolest thing was a Donkey Kong barrel bank from Donkey Kong cereal. They wanted $35 and am seriously debating on picking it up. Also, someone traded in around 50 goosebumps books marked at $0.50 each. I almost bit but I'm not sure which are the rare ones and I don't need more clutter. What I did find though were 5 Worlds of Power books. I got Metal Gear, Blaster Master, Beyond Shadowgate, Ninja Gaiden, and Bases Loaded II for $1.50.

Anyone have thoughts on the TMNT figs or goosebumps books? And for those curious a link to a sold listing for the DK bank - http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=331509732505

"Oh no, dude! Here comes our worst foe yet... a geriatric media mogul!"

"You're MINE, Turtles! Now face the power of my Viacom laser!"

(smashes figures together)

Mirpkered: You recall any names on those Vita games?

Wow...Worlds of Power books, I haven't seen any of those for years...been wanting to read the Blaster Master one again for a while..nice find!

Had a good thrifting day. Stopped by goodwill and they had a bunch of salvage vita games. Almost got a couple at 5.99 but remembered I don't have a vita. However, in the case, they had $15 iTunes gift cards for $10. So I both the 2 they had for Mother's Day. Both are for my wife with one from me and one from the kids. Done.

Then I headed over to our community partnership resale shop and someone donated a ton of original TMNT figs. They were $2-4 each and a lot of figs like Ace Duck, Ghengis Frog, and Fulgoid. They also had an a Earthworm Jim figure with the Peter Puppy and Evil the Cat with him. I passed but will probably go back tomorrow to get him. The coolest thing was a Donkey Kong barrel bank from Donkey Kong cereal. They wanted $35 and am seriously debating on picking it up. Also, someone traded in around 50 goosebumps books marked at $0.50 each. I almost bit but I'm not sure which are the rare ones and I don't need more clutter. What I did find though were 5 Worlds of Power books. I got Metal Gear, Blaster Master, Beyond Shadowgate, Ninja Gaiden, and Bases Loaded II for $1.50.

Anyone have thoughts on the TMNT figs or goosebumps books? And for those curious a link to a sold listing for the DK bank - http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=331509732505
Wow, Worlds of Power books. Hard or soft cover? I remember my middle school library had the Wizards and Warriors and the Blaster Master ones...they were a fun read back then, I wonder how they've aged.

"Oh no, dude! Here comes our worst foe yet... a geriatric media mogul!"
"You're MINE, Turtles! Now face the power of my Viacom laser!"
(smashes figures together)

Mirpkered: You recall any names on those Vita games?
There was Smart As..., Playstation Battle Royale, and the rest were sports.

Got an update for you guys. My $15 laptop from last week works perfectly. Only problem with it really is that the battery is dead. Got a replacement coming in for it. Installed a fresh copy of Ubuntu on it as it was a tad too weak for my liking on Windows 8.1. Besides that the hinge is a little messed up and the case has some damage. Makes a good spare laptop for the price that's for sure, especially after I sold off my other ones since I've become mainly a desktop only guy.

TMFP6KM.jpg
Didn't that laptop start with Windows 7? Why did you try to jump to 8 when 7 is so much better?

There is nothing wrong with Windows 8.1!  Ive been using it on my gaming rig since November and wouldnt even think about going back to 7. All of my stuff runs better and Ive had no problems. The only time I ever see the tiles is when I click the Windows icon to do a quick search.......which it does wonderfully! Most of the time it looks just like normal Windows, I have everything I use pinned to the Task Bar. 

I was gonna jump to 10 tech preview eventually, happened to have 8.1 on a flash drive from a restore I had to do on a laptop I sold. 7 feels outdated to me now that I am used to 10. Plus I have no keys for 7 copy installed was non genuine, where as I have several for 8.

I was gonna jump to 10 tech preview eventually, happened to have 8.1 on a flash drive from a restore I had to do on a laptop I sold. 7 feels outdated to me now that I am used to 10. Plus I have no keys for 7 copy installed was non genuine, where as I have several for 8.
Was there not a Win 7 serial key sticker on the bottom of the laptop? Most laptops sold with Windows have one near the battery.

I went back to that same thrift shop and bit on the Donkey Kong bank. Here's a picture of it:

16831032573_72e7078c98_b.jpg

I know at $35 it was a little steep but I've never seen one and it is pretty cool. For size comparison, it's roughly the same size as a Bubba Keg for those that are aware of these delightfully redneck drinking containers.

Also, here's those itunes cards and worlds of power books I talked about previously:

17263522528_ea91506723_b.jpg

17449258442_4cd16f3c8b_b.jpg

[quote name="Mirpkered" post="12683035" timestamp="1431173235"]I went back to that same thrift shop and bit on the Donkey Kong bank. Here's a picture of it:

16831032573_72e7078c98_b.jpg

I know at $35 it was a little steep but I've never seen one and it is pretty cool. For size comparison, it's roughly the same size as a Bubba Keg for those that are aware of these delightfully redneck drinking containers.

Also, here's those itunes cards and worlds of power books I talked about previously:

17263522528_ea91506723_b.jpg
17449258442_4cd16f3c8b_b.jpg
[/quote]

I had the blaster master and might have had the metal gear one when I was younger.

I mentioned this in the yard sale thread, but I got 47 books at my local thrift store for $5 (picture below).  Basically, filling up a box with books will usually get you a $5 price tag there.  Those scanner dicks would love it.  Also, that Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers book doesn't not conform to Rescue Ranger cannon.  In that book there are anthropomorphic animals that are like humans.  As we all know, Rescue Rangers are actual animals that live in a human world.  Whoever wrote the book is trying to confuse my 3 year old.  What assholes.   :shame:

I went back today and they re-stocked the shelf of hardy boy books with goosebumps and baby sitters club.  I'll admit, I was tempted, but I don't want to have a ton of books in my house.

P1Fmrzg.jpg

Sweet, I have all the Worlds of Power books except Baseball and Infiltrator. Absolutely loved reading those books as a kid, but I went to read Castlevania 2 a couple months ago and it's terrible. I guess that's not a surprise, but I remember them being awesome.

Just found these 2 at a goodwill, 3.99 a piece, Munch's Oddysee is mint, will replace my mint Platinum Hits version nicely. Jurassic Park is probably the best single game find I've ever had at a goodwill, not only is it the first saturn game I've ever seen in the wild, but it is SEALED!

3tpksrK.jpg

Got beaten to a nice huge lot by minutes today at my local thrift. Power Stone 1 + 2, Skies of Arcadia Legends, Elemental Gimmick Gear etc etc. 3 bucks each. literally felt nauscious for missing out on that by like 3 minutes. Ugh. Its times like these that thrifting turns me off lol, what do you guys do when you miss out on lots like this? Dust that dirt off your shoulder?

Got beaten to a nice huge lot by minutes today at my local thrift. Power Stone 1 + 2, Skies of Arcadia Legends, Elemental Gimmick Gear etc etc. 3 bucks each. literally felt nauscious for missing out on that by like 3 minutes. Ugh. Its times like these that thrifting turns me off lol, what do you guys do when you miss out on lots like this? Dust that dirt off your shoulder?
Dust your shoulder off and try again another day.

I befriended a scanner and we got along pretty well for about a year. We had an understanding, he buys mostly books, I buy games. There was a vintage book score that I alerted him to (called him). When the PS1 JRPGs came in, he bought them all and didn't call me. Now we don't talk anymore.

I do very little thrifting now. I used to spend 2-4 hours a day at one particular store.

it happens man, thats usually thrift life 101 - you get beaten to an item(s) every now and then.

missing 50+ CiB snes games still stings to this day, fuck, and the guy is a vinyl reseller that got them, smh

bread's done
Back