2015 Thrift Store Thread -- Share Your Findings Here

[attachment=14495:20150525_180111.jpg]

Picked up at Local Goodwill 2 minutes before close. Has the console, all the cords, styrofoam and instructions. Only missing the controllers, zapper and Mario/ Duck Hunt... Luckily I got spares. Only $7.99

Yo sp00ge,

Down for another job?

GS gave me a few GC, Wii, and PS2 games last night for free but they are all scratched and untested.

Yours:

Kirby Airride, Capcom vs. SNK 2, Sonic Gems Collection, Stella Deus (disc only), & RPG Maker 3

Mine:

Looking you to fix DataEast, Pokemon Battle Revolution, and Mega Man X7 (disc only) for me.

Let me know.

HMxrjAh.jpg
Sure thing!

attachicon.gif
20150525_180111.jpg

Picked up at Local Goodwill 2 minutes before close. Has the console, all the cords, styrofoam and instructions. Only missing the controllers, zapper and Mario/ Duck Hunt... Luckily I got spares. Only $7.99
wow....that would be straight to the online store around here. I thought my $20 NES with the ac adapter from awhile back was a lucky find.

Wish my Gamestop was cool with me to give me some free stuff. Too bad all the Employees I liked/acquainted with were reassigned/or quit.

20150523_173534.jpg

Missy Piggy 10 bucks sealed(for a girlfriend), Evil Dead comics(1-4 mini series), 2 Friday the 13th comics(under the evil dead ones), 2 statues(evil dead and freddy), 2 pokemon games, fallout 3 collectors edition and hitman collection for 360(not pictured) 25 bucks. I probably could have gotten it for 20, but it was freezing cold that morning, and i had no jacket or anything, just a t-shirt. Dvd's 1 buck. Calculator was 5 bucks at a garage sale,

Local thrift had 50% off everything in store(usually do for a holiday) , so picked up some stuff there. Crappy ps1 and dreamcast stuff, dollar each. Sonic Adventure 7.50, Zombie Revenge 5 bucks, Gunboat for Tiurbo Grafx 16 was 10 bucks after 50%, Jack Nichalus for turbo, 5 i think,  . Resurrection for  saturn was 10 bucks, and also had resident evi; dremcast season 1 underneath it

Yo sp00ge,

Down for another job?

GS gave me a few GC, Wii, and PS2 games last night for free but they are all scratched and untested.

Yours:

Kirby Airride, Capcom vs. SNK 2, Sonic Gems Collection, Stella Deus (disc only), & RPG Maker 3

Mine:

Looking you to fix DataEast, Pokemon Battle Revolution, and Mega Man X7 (disc only) for me.

Let me know.
GS gave you Stella Duce? WOW. I have yet to see it in the wild.

GS gave you Stella Duce? WOW. I have yet to see it in the wild.
Yeah. They caught me dumpster diving years ago lol and told me not to do it anymore and just ask for the games (defective/scratched games). The manager is pretty cool and laid back. I usually stop by once a month and cherry pick what they got.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found a GCN - Super Smash Bros. Melee
empty case
for $3.
I bought an empty case from savers. They had it marked 1.99 and I talked to one of the old ladies and she sold it to me for .49. It was some collectable game like mario party 7? on GC. I had also picked up disc only copy of the game in a lot a few weeks prior, so it was nice to have a case.

Yeah. They caught me dumpster diving years ago lol and told me not to do it anymore and just ask for the games (defective/scratched games). The manager is pretty cool and laid back. I usually stop by once a month and cherry pick what they got.
That is one reason I haven't done gamtstop dumpster diving. Always figured they'd look at you like a charity case.

It would be weird to explain to someone dressed in clean clothes what i was doing. Figure they will just say something like "so you like games that much" and ill just be like "yeah"

I bought an empty case from savers. They had it marked 1.99 and I talked to one of the old ladies and she sold it to me for .49. It was some collectable game like mario party 7? on GC. I had also picked up disc only copy of the game in a lot a few weeks prior, so it was nice to have a case.
Yeah, I normally would've asked about getting it cheaper, but it didn't have the manual.

Plus it's always a hassle asking about buying empty boxes. They look at me like I'm stupid and/or the person who stole it.

Solid goodwill finds today.

2.99 each on the games and 1.99 each on the CD's.

4FUGL4f.jpg

Super Mario Galaxy, very nice and complete. Rarely find anything Nintendo around here, so this is an awesome find for me.

Dreamworks Rise of the Guardians

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

CD's:

Stone Temple Pilots - No. 4 and Purple

Garbage - Version 2.0

^^You paid too much for the cds :p. Seriously you should see them at garage sales for under $1 each.
Yea, I find CDs occasionally at the garage sales for .50 cents to a dollar, but around here any rock or rap I like is pretty hard to come by, its all country, pop and Jesus music around here for some reason. So 1.99 when I find something I want isn't bad at all imo.

Yea, I find CDs occasionally at the garage sales for .50 cents to a dollar, but around here any rock or rap I like is pretty hard to come by, its all country, pop and Jesus music around here for some reason. So 1.99 when I find something I want isn't bad at all imo.
Sounds like the Midwest.

Someone apparently donated their 360/PS2 library to my Goodwill today. There was a cart full of games in front. Lots of common titles, sports, and others I wasn't interested in, but did get these.

[attachment=14511:IMG_4387.JPG]

PS2 network adaptor, sealed - $4.99

Sims 3 Island Paradise expansion (complete) - $4.99

PS2 Bully (complete) - $3.99

Breaking Bad season 1 DVD - $4.99

Also saw Mario Party 5 and got excited...then realized the disc was missing. Sigh.

Got these after work today:

The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion Collector's Edition (100% complete with sealed coin) for $3.99

Axis and Allies 1941 (NEW/SEALED) $5.99

Did not Buy:

PS2 Taiko Drum Master (Complete w/ game) $10

frfqsbr.jpg

IaY40co.jpg

That is one reason I haven't done gamtstop dumpster diving. Always figured they'd look at you like a charity case.

It would be weird to explain to someone dressed in clean clothes what i was doing. Figure they will just say something like "so you like games that much" and ill just be like "yeah"
That's why you go at night right after the store is closed. :)

Picked up a PS2 Mortal Kombat armageddon premium edition(steelbook with both discs and the manual) for $2 at GW. The steelbook is the version with the skull guy; it sells for $40-$45.

For the first time in like 1 year my local goodwill has two nes games and 3 N64 games. They were all shovelware though. I'd assume who ever made the donation had to have some better games then those left, So I'm pretty sure those games were gone through already by a collector or reseller.

it had to have been very recent because i was there just last week.

Last time i went there was a gallon ziplock with a game gear and a bunch of game gear games. Some guy put it in his cart and starts looking each game up one by one on his smartphone.

I was like are you going to buy them because I'm interested in buying them. He's like I dunno I'm checking them out. So I had to wait 20 minutes just for the guy to take them out the cart and put them back for my chance. It took me one minute scanning with my eyes visually to make my decision to pass them.

I can tell the guy was barely a gamer. He's a gamer in the sense that he probably played games before. He was looking up like a dozen different sports games and was a knucklehead imbecile more focused on reselling for profit then the love for the hobby.

I have been going to goodwills on a regular bases for two years now and the only thing I've ever found was pokemon gale of darkness XD in mint condition for $3. I'm sure the store gets good things but its also a store where it would be gone within hours after putting out. I've had way more luck at flea markets.

the pokemon find wasn't my local goodwill was in CA I'm back in FL now.

For the first time in like 1 year my local goodwill has two nes games and 3 N64 games. They were all shovelware though. I'd assume who ever made the donation had to have some better games then those left, So I'm pretty sure those games were gone through already by a collector or reseller.

it had to have been very recent because i was there just last week.

Last time i went there was a gallon ziplock with a game gear and a bunch of game gear games. Some guy put it in his cart and starts looking each game up one by one on his smartphone.

I was like are you going to buy them because I'm interested in buying them. He's like I dunno I'm checking them out. So I had to wait 20 minutes just for the guy to take them out the cart and put them back for my chance. It took me one minute scanning with my eyes visually to make my decision to pass them.

I can tell the guy was barely a gamer. He's a gamer in the sense that he probably played games before. He was looking up like a dozen different sports games and was a knucklehead imbecile more focused on reselling for profit then the love for the hobby.

I have been going to goodwills on a regular bases for two years now and the only thing I've ever found was pokemon gale of darkness XD in mint condition for $3. I'm sure the store gets good things but its also a store where it would be gone within hours after putting out. I've had way more luck at flea markets.

the pokemon find wasn't my local goodwill was in CA I'm back in FL now.
Which store was it in FL?

Paddock mall goodwill. Those games are still probably there. They were last night. All shovelware though.
Ah ok. That's the nice looking goodwill with the worst pricing I've ever seen. The ones in Gainesville I've had decent luck with. Got a few books, 3 for $1. Solid router that was complete, for $3. Even got Conkers Bad Fur Day for XBOX a year or two ago for a few bucks.

I found these bad boys on Memorial Day at salvation army. At first I did not see the gb gba games I could not believe my eyes when I saw them could not believe my ears when the employee told me how much she would sell them to me for.

salhaul1_zpscutoiko3.jpg

$1 each for the wii & gamecube games $0.50 cents a pop for the gb gba games sadly the pokemon games need new batteries.:(

My goodwill had 8gb vita cards and some vita games. Even had sealed pap games. Was a little to much for me or would have picked some up. The pap games were 10 and vita games were 8

[attachment=14557:IMG_4403.JPG]

$12.50 for everything. Conker is just a demo disc, but everything else is complete.

Goodwill and local thrift finds from yesterday...

iy2nmAA.jpg

2$ and 2.50$ for the Trivia games in the large tins, Nickelodeon from 2002 and Simpsons from 2001

CD's were both 2$ a piece, Garbage's self titled and I Mother Earth's "Dig", Also got Trustkill Takeover Volume 2.

Cabela's is complete but a bit beat up on the cover art, 3$.

Samruai Jack is sealed, 2$

Goodwill and local thrift finds from yesterday...

iy2nmAA.jpg

2$ and 2.50$ for the Trivia games in the large tins, Nickelodeon from 2002 and Simpsons from 2001

CD's were both 2$ a piece, Garbage's self titled and I Mother Earth's "Dig", Also got Trustkill Takeover Volume 2.

Cabela's is complete but a bit beat up on the cover art, 3$.

Samruai Jack is sealed, 2$
Are you from Canada? Just guessing, based on the I Mother Earth find.

Hit the huge thrift store we have here in Central PA. One sort of game find. I found a sealed VHS copy of Double Dragon: The Shield of Shadowkhan for 99 cents. It was stamped on the back that it was from Boscov's and clearanced to $1.49. Boscov's held onto their VHS tapes until at least Christmas of '05 (or maybe even '06) and then mass clearanced them. It's fairly cheap on amazon for a new copy and the clamshell case is smushed a bit, so I'll likely open it in a few weeks when my nephews visit.

Besides a pair of American Eagle jeans for $5.99, I didn't see much else of interest, but there were two different guys walking around in VG shirts (one Megaman, one with 8-bit graphics but I didn't recognize it). Oh, I did see a PS2 DDR game I almost bit on but it was $4.99. I got some DDR mats at a yard sale last summer in a free pile but have been waiting to find a game for cheaper as I'm not sure they work.

Yeah, that's generally what I see as well as some rap. Classic rock is especially hard to find around here. Luckily, I'm not really into CDs, I just pick ones up for my parents to listen to in their cars and for my grandparents to listen to at home or in the car.

Yeah, that's generally what I see as well as some rap. Classic rock is especially hard to find around here. Luckily, I'm not really into CDs, I just pick ones up for my parents to listen to in their cars and for my grandparents to listen to at home or in the car.
It started out for me as a secondary thing, I'd just look for CD's when I was browsing for PS1 games at Goodwill , but I really like having physical media, and I was really into car audio when I first started and you just can't beat the sound quality of the original media, even if you do the rip yourself, so I started actively searching for them, I've been lucky enough to amass about 100 different CD's over the last year or so.

One of my local thrift stores just discovered ebay, so it looks like I won't be going in there too much anymore. Prices shot up 200-800% overnight.  Boourns. 

One of my local thrift stores just discovered ebay, so it looks like I won't be going in there too much anymore. Prices shot up 200-800% overnight. Boourns.
Same..and part of the problem is that the person running the ebay stuff is stupid and doesn't really know what they have or don't have. I.E. massive overcharging for crap items.

I had to haggle a Final Fantasy VII (greatest hits) from $8.39 (zomg it has 3 discs!) down to $5.99 and even then the person told me "omg its a $90 game!!"

Sigh. I still felt like I overpaid for it... ah well.

I used to own the tabletop in your avatar when I was a kid brings back memories I also owned the green popeye tabletop.

Today I took a risk at savers I found it with a game inside little mermaid no charger the system would not power on I could not open the system until I went outside the store.

sp3_zpsu93nqcsq.jpg

sp1_zpshqz7tkjc.jpg

sp2_zpsco0vnk9e.jpg

The shell has damage fortunately the system charges and the screen & buttons are good it is a fully functional graphite gba sp ags-101 model total spent $7.99 plus tax.

Today I took a risk at savers I found it with a game inside little mermaid no charger the system would not power on I could not open the system until I went outside the store.

sp3_zpsu93nqcsq.jpg

sp1_zpshqz7tkjc.jpg

sp2_zpsco0vnk9e.jpg

The shell has damage fortunately the system charges and the screen & buttons are good it is a fully functional graphite gba sp ags-101 model total spent $7.99 plus tax.
Now you have the same problem I do.

I got this SP on Sunday for $5 its a graphite asg 101

It's missing the battery cover and battery so even though I have a charger you need a battery for it to power at all.

My problem is the battery cover. Any gameboy sp battery cover is over $5 shipped which would cost more then i spent of the system.

What i see being more practical is buying the whole shell replacement for about $8 shipped in different colors to choose from and a new battery is $4 bucks.

Its one of those options or butcher it for the screen for the original gba backlit mod. Otherwise its a paperweight.

[attachment=14649:IMAG0220.jpg]

[attachment=14650:IMAG0221.jpg]

Mine is a little better condition cosmetically but missing a battery and cover. Yours could use a new shell for sure.

Thinking about getting this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/F-Purple-Full-Housing-Shell-Case-Cover-Part-f-Nintendo-GBA-SP-Gameboy-Advance-SP-/361098154772?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5413209314

That with a new battery and tri-wing screwdriver should cost like $12 bucks all together to make it like new.

Won't be an official OEM case but with the amount of good backlit screens and functional motherboards in circulation compared with the amount of damaged original shells it would never be cost effective to replace with original parts.

I would try to use the shell only and salvage as many original buttons and parts as possible.

Seems like a good option thanks. I do like the graphite sp color purple looks cool as well do you know if there is a way to reuse the ags-101 sticker on the bottom of the gba sp on a new shell?

Now you have the same problem I do.

I got this SP on Sunday for $5 its a graphite asg 101

It's missing the battery cover and battery so even though I have a charger you need a battery for it to power at all.

My problem is the battery cover. Any gameboy sp battery cover is over $5 shipped which would cost more then i spent of the system.

What i see being more practical is buying the whole shell replacement for about $8 shipped in different colors to choose from and a new battery is $4 bucks.

Its one of those options or butcher it for the screen for the original gba backlit mod. Otherwise its a paperweight.

attachicon.gif
IMAG0220.jpg

attachicon.gif
IMAG0221.jpg

Mine is a little better condition cosmetically but missing a battery and cover. Yours could use a new shell for sure.

Thinking about getting this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/F-Purple-Full-Housing-Shell-Case-Cover-Part-f-Nintendo-GBA-SP-Gameboy-Advance-SP-/361098154772?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5413209314

That with a new battery and tri-wing screwdriver should cost like $12 bucks all together to make it like new.

Won't be an official OEM case but with the amount of good backlit screens and functional motherboards in circulation compared with the amount of damaged original shells it would never be cost effective to replace with original parts.

I would try to use the shell only and salvage as many original buttons and parts as possible.

Seems like a good option thanks. I do like the graphite sp color purple looks cool as well do you know if there is a way to reuse the ags-101 sticker on the bottom of the gba sp on a new shell?
I have seen youtubes videos where they get the original sticker off with a hairdryer and able to use the official one. Most of the shell kits will come with a replacement stickers as I assume its high risk of being able to fully salvage the original.

bundles that are closer to about $8-$12 have everything included triwing, gba shell, sticks, buttons every screw.

I messaged about five sellers who have them at about $5 shipped and just waiting to confirm they each have the sticker. One for the back near the battery and the one of the very front that is the Nintendo logo.

I need both stickers.

For instance this one. Its the full kit for $4.30 shipped with tri-wing. Choice of colors. Just waiting for multiple sellers to tell me if these cheaper kits have both the stickers. I need the front one as much as the back one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Housing-Shell-Case-For-Nintendo-Game-Boy-GBA-SP-with-Butt-ons-Screws/151666232469?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D80d928150e124ce4bae12d9fada9f68d%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D111670479263&rt=nc

I'm assuming they will include the stickers but you never know. Soon as a seller confirms with me I'm placing a order for a orange color shell and a new battery.

In my case my ags 101 graphite is better condition cosmetically then yours but the cost to buy a battery cover whether original OEM or third party would cost more buying itself then buying a whole shell kit that comes with a battery cover.

So If i just went and bought a new battery it would work but wouldn't stay in place without taping it or something. So between the missing battery cover and light cosmetic damage I see the most practical way is to replace the whole shell.

Yours looks like a dog chewed it so if you are able to do the project i would when its $5 bucks in parts and about 2 hours easy labor.

Found a couple PS2 games to add to the collection today, Crash Bandicoot 3 and Sphinx, $3 each.  

Also got a Mass Effect 2 guide for $3

Scored a couple games today at GW:

Star Wars Battlefront II $6

Donkey Kong 64 $6

OkKC4Z1.jpg

Here is some games that I saw but did not buy:

kqddMSD.jpg

Same..and part of the problem is that the person running the ebay stuff is stupid and doesn't really know what they have or don't have. I.E. massive overcharging for crap items.

I had to haggle a Final Fantasy VII (greatest hits) from $8.39 (zomg it has 3 discs!) down to $5.99 and even then the person told me "omg its a $90 game!!"

Sigh. I still felt like I overpaid for it... ah well.
$8.39 is a great price on FFVII. The $90 statement is stupid, but it is an easy $25+ if complete (hell, I get $40 for it when I sell it at anime conventions). I personally wouldn't see any need to haggle that price down and I certainly wouldn't use it as an example of ridiculous thrift pricing. ;)

I have a store in my area that has Mega Man 1 for NES cart only for over $150. Now that is complaint worthy. I'd be perfectly happy if stores like that priced games at 1/3 - 1/2 of what they sell for.

[attachment=14682:20150603_191144.jpg]

[attachment=14683:20150603_192005.jpg]

Found all at a Goodwill in a box near the movies, box listed 24.99 for Everything!

Sega Master System Games (all complete): After Burner, Missile Defense 3-D, Global Defense, Hang-On & Astro Warrior, Hang-On & Safari Hunt, Great Volleyball, Y's The Vanished Omens, Space Harrier, Bomber Raid, Action Fighter and The Ninja

Sega Genesis Games (all complete): Altered Beast, Klax, Fatal Fury, Eternal Champions

Sega CD Games (all complete): Rise of the Dragon, Mortal Kombat, Silpheed, Lethal Enforcers: Gun Fighters 2, Sol-Feace

Sadly just the case and manual for Lunar 2... and manual for Sherlock Holmes

Gameboy Games: Mary Kate and Ashley Pocket Planner and The New Adventure of MaryKate and Ashley

GBA Games: Hey Arnold, Rocket Power Dream Scheme, Rugrats Castle Capers, Spongebob Squarepants Supersponge and International Winter Sports 2002 + all their manuals

Intellivision Games (all complete): NBA Basketball, NASL Soccer and NHL Hockey

Mattel Intellivoice

Pelican Gba stand/charger

Gameboy Case

Glacier Gba missing backdoor, but with pelican battery pack

Gamester Gba light

Lastly at the bottom of the box there was 5 1984 Star Wars Coins? know nothing about...

attachicon.gif
20150603_191144.jpg

attachicon.gif
20150603_192005.jpg

Found all at a Goodwill in a box near the movies, box listed 24.99 for Everything!

Sega Master System Games (all complete): After Burner, Missile Defense 3-D, Global Defense, Hang-On & Astro Warrior, Hang-On & Safari Hunt, Great Volleyball, Y's The Vanished Omens, Space Harrier, Bomber Raid, Action Fighter and The Ninja

Sega Genesis Games (all complete): Altered Beast, Klax, Fatal Fury, Eternal Champions

Sega CD Games (all complete): Rise of the Dragon, Mortal Kombat, Silpheed, Lethal Enforcers: Gun Fighters 2, Sol-Feace

Sadly just the case and manual for Lunar 2... and manual for Sherlock Holmes

Gameboy Games: Mary Kate and Ashley Pocket Planner and The New Adventure of MaryKate and Ashley

GBA Games: Hey Arnold, Rocket Power Dream Scheme, Rugrats Castle Capers, Spongebob Squarepants Supersponge and International Winter Sports 2002 + all their manuals

Intellivision Games (all complete): NBA Basketball, NASL Soccer and NHL Hockey

Mattel Intellivoice

Pelican Gba stand/charger

Gameboy Case

Glacier Gba missing backdoor, but with pelican battery pack

Gamester Gba light

Lastly at the bottom of the box there was 5 1984 Star Wars Coins? know nothing about...
The Star Wars coins came with some of the action figures after the release of Return of the Jedi. Super jealous of that copy of Y's, have yet to see it in the wild.

The coins are probably from potf figures or the ewok figures (the ewok ones might be gold though).

I've got four GBA SPs right now; two of the 100 models and two of the 101 models. I think all the accessories are cross-compatible between them, so if I ever needed another battery I'd have one handy. What's weird is that one of these GBA SPs is screwy as heck. Not a big deal, as it's a red 100 I bought at a garage sale a year ago, but still a little disappointing.

bread's done
Back