2016 Thrift Store Thread -- Share Your Findings Here

I went to one thrift store today (to sp00ge and any other Pittsburgh CAGS, it was the RW&B on Saw Mill Run) and apparently someone was teaching a class on flipping.

Dude and about 10 people were blocking up the whole electronics isle.

He had on some baseball uniform style shirt that said something like "Thrifting Board" or something and he was telling people things like "you'd be surprised at the price of some VCRs" and "older is better" when pointing to stereo equipment.

I overheard someone say something about "restricted listings" on Amazon and he said "you can just flip on ebay".

:wall:

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to one thrift store today (to sp00ge and any other Pittsburgh CAGS, it was the RW&B on Saw Mill Run) and apparently someone was teaching a class on flipping.

Dude and about 10 people were blocking up the whole electronics isle.

He had on some baseball uniform style shirt that said something like "Thrifting Board" or something and he was telling people things like "you'd be surprised at the price of some VCRs" and "older is better" when pointing to stereo equipment.

I overheard someone say something about "restricted listings" on Amazon and he said "you can just flip on ebay".

:wall:
Wow, are you fuck ing serious? Some asshole is trying to make a dollar off of a nearly obsolete trend. Those people are really late to the game, as the flipping has almost completely dried up around here. Even my trustiest of goodwills is now sending anything of value to shopgoodwill.

I don't know if he was charging for the class, but I can only imagine he was.

But my initial thought was "Dude is probably charging a couple hundred dollars for a class on 'How to make thousands flipping thrift store finds!'... WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT?!  Oh yeah, I'm not a complete sleazeball"

I don't know if he was charging for the class, but I can only imagine he was.

But my initial thought was "Dude is probably charging a couple hundred dollars for a class on 'How to make thousands flipping thrift store finds!'... WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT?! Oh yeah, I'm not a complete sleazeball"

Dude. I heard you liked to flip so I am flipping flippers with the art of flipping. FLIPPCEPTION!

I took a supa seekret video of part of the guy's spiel and when I looked at it I heard the guy mention "Thrift Hunters".

I guess that was/is a TV show on Spike.  The guy in the store was actually the guy with the beard from the show.

I found this imgur post from a year ago where someone ran into him at some other thrift where he was doing the same thing, running a "thrifting class".

And it's assholes like that guy that ruined it for the rest of us who have put time and effort into our reselling.

What a frustrating experience. I leave home and when I get to the thrift store, I see my phone's battery is dead. I have a charger in the car, but it's just a wall charger. So I go into the thrift store and plug it into a wall socket and let it charge while I shop around near it. You know where this is going, I bet. No, it wasn't stolen thanks to my watchful eyes, but two idiots did decide to get grabby with it. First one was a dumb broad, and I do mean broad as she was distinctly house-shaped. She said "Oh, this is yours? I thought it was for sale." Yes, an iPhone with an Otterbox and a wall charger attached to it is being sold and is going to be put in with the dishes and not in the glass case, or on some sort of display or, I don't know, ShopGoodwill? I told her as such. She wasn't pleased. Second dumbass I didn't even bother talking too. I just said "This is mine," snatched it out of his hands and left. Nothing good as far as I could see and I obviously wasn't going to be able to charge my phone in peace.

Did I have this coming for leaving my phone "lying around" in a thrift store? Sure. Were they dumbasses? Yes they were.

The only dumbass I see in that situation is the person who leaves their phone lying around in a thrift store.
Forgive me if I... ignore the opinion of a guy who does nothing but troll and seems to have some sort of issue with me.

Forgive me if I... ignore the opinion of a guy who does nothing but troll and seems to have some sort of issue with me.
Calling you out for using gay slurs and in your OP here making fun of someone for her size when it had no relevance to your story is not trolling. You then expect sympathy for leaving your iphone charging in a thrift store and are surprised when people think it's for sale and demean them. My issue with you is you're a sad person.

I saw an  iphone for $20 today in savers. maybe 1st or 2nd gen. good working condition. but i didn't need it or wants it.

Except he's completely right. I see cell phones for sale in thrift stores semi regularly. Sometimes still in cases. That it was on a charger at the time is odd and I wouldn't look at that and assume it was for sale but I don't think it's absurd to check it out. Who leaves their phone sitting somewhere in a public place? You're very lucky it wasn't stolen. You're definitely the biggest idiot here, not the people you're insulting for reasons that have nothing to do with your story.

You should have asked the cashier to charge it behind the counter or something, if it was that important. Or carry around one of those little portable batteries I hear about all the time.

Okay okay. I know. I messed up big time. I deleted my post. Let me see if I can distract you guys with some of my findings. Remember when I said this:

Well, that's all that was in the case, but this is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of what I got. Look forward to it!
Well, here's the iceberg. These were all gotten last week. Or two weeks ago. It was the week I got the Xbox games.

MQpLC2O.jpg

This is the rare 2005 version. Not the common 2014 version. Not the Xbox version which is the most worthless one. The goddamned 2005 Xbox 360 version! Want to know where it was? In the wrong case! It was inside an Xbox game case! That's why I always check! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! $.50 hatas!

Ziy1k46.jpg

What a curious little thing this is. These are a collection of figures known as Cat Nativity. This is the rare Christmas Edition of them. They're worth over $100. What a prize! Especially since I only paid $6.

m1wGYJf.jpg

Did somebody say Xbox games thread? This is an Xbox copy of Gauntlet: Dark Legacy. Worth a pretty penny unlike its PS2 counterpart. Now if only it was a good game... In a usual filthy, sticky, grimy case. What the hell do these people do to these cases?

vFVBuAi.jpg

Kenneth Cole watch. I think this one's worth some bank. $2.

wkh1pGy.jpg

You know it's been a good week when this is the lowlight of your week. A Gamecube. Nothing but the cube. $5.

Was the GB Player attached or did you just stick it on for show?

Anyways, went out to Goodwill for the first time in months; usually if I need an obscure cable they'll magically have one in a bin. No such luck today but I walked out with a Wavebird receiver and a 360 Guitar Hero 5 guitar for $3 each, plus a genuine N64 power cable for $2.

Was the GB Player attached or did you just stick it on for show?

Anyways, went out to Goodwill for the first time in months; usually if I need an obscure cable they'll magically have one in a bin. No such luck today but I walked out with a Wavebird receiver and a 360 Guitar Hero 5 guitar for $3 each, plus a genuine N64 power cable for $2.
Attached? No, it was bought just like that. I thought it was part of the Gamecube. I didn't know it was an accessory.

psych-out-dance-o.gif

chocolate-dance-o.gif

*sobs pitifully while dancing* I'm so happy! I can't believe this. You guys definitely won't believe me!

*ahem* So I looked up the Game Boy Player thing. I heard of it somewhere before, but I forgot about it. Never had a Gamecube. Got a BC Wii instead. It allows you to, like the name suggests, play Game Boy games on the GC. But in order to make it work, you need the much rarer and more expensive Startup Disc. So I looked in the disc tray to see what was in it. Not the Startup Disc, unfortunately. But I think this is a pretty nice consolation prize.

cVPufAT.jpg

So much for the Gamecube being the lowlight of the week, am I right or amirite? And how does the disc look, Narukami-san?

oYwGZ99.jpg

Pristine. Not the crap that Gamestop was selling during the 75% off sale. Damn I'm awesome.

I used to never look inside the disc trays when I bought consoles off of Amazon and during my early years as a thrifter when I was flipping and/or reselling them. Now I always do. Always.

Update on a couple of my previous finds. Borrowed a power cable for the Wii, it appears to work just fine. There was no disc inside though. Amazon gave me $20 instead $24 for my RB drums........im really not sure how much nicer they couldve looked....

Last week's (6/5-6/11) hauls! Another whopper!

More damage to my wallet than I would have liked for this one. $30 for this mega-bundle.

2TfLDsa.jpg

Seems to be in great condition. Powers on fine. It's a Backwards Compatible model, too. The Wii itself, the controllers, and most of the cases look like someone took them outside to play football with. Or maybe took a dump on them... So many brown spots. The lone Wii Fit Plus with no case was what was in the console. No miracle Xenoblade, Zelda: Skyward Sword or Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn this time. Still, a nice haul. If only it was cheaper... And as for that other thing at the top, it's some yoga exercise DVD. It was in the box marked $30 and so it was included in with everything else. It's worthless. I might keep the Trauma Center games to play as I don't own them.

I can't believe my parents paid $250 for this thing a few years after it came out,, even if it was backwards compatible. It was worth the price to me since it had such great games, but hey, I didn't pay for it.

m3eNP4Q.jpg

This model car set was quite a find. Worth a little cash on eBay. It being brand new doesn't hurt a bit.

2p0bd6q.jpg

A six disc set of the Escaflowne anime. Missing about half the discs to complete the collection, but still worth it. $.50 for each disc.

exdeath__turtle_by_masteronin.png

No, but in all seriousness...

4RHfAdV.jpg

...if I'm not mistaken, I believe my little tortoise friend's body here is made of gold. It's a brooch. The pin is metal, and the shell is painted ceramic. Not sure about the eye. The other eye is missing the red gem. $2.

r9QZpFo.jpg

Who's that Pokemon?! Wait, no, it's just a strategy guide. Nice bit of nostalgia. And I still play the game. It's a classic. $.50

3yU7Yx8.jpg

While we're on the subject of nostalgia. When I bought this, I thought it was a set of the trading cards. When I got home, I saw the top of it saying it is a 52-card deck of playing cards with Pokemon logos on them. Still, it's brand new and I only paid $1, so I should get something for it.

Last week's (6/5-6/11) hauls! Another whopper!

More damage to my wallet than I would have liked for this one. $30 for this mega-bundle.

2TfLDsa.jpg

Seems to be in great condition. Powers on fine. It's a Backwards Compatible model, too. The Wii itself, the controllers, and most of the cases look like someone took them outside to play football with. Or maybe took a dump on them... So many brown spots. The lone Wii Fit Plus with no case was what was in the console. No miracle Xenoblade, Zelda: Skyward Sword or Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn this time. Still, a nice haul. If only it was cheaper... And as for that other thing at the top, it's some yoga exercise DVD. It was in the box marked $30 and so it was included in with everything else. It's worthless. I might keep the Trauma Center games to play as I don't own them.

I can't believe my parents paid $250 for this thing a few years after it came out,, even if it was backwards compatible. It was worth the price to me since it had such great games, but hey, I didn't pay for it.

m3eNP4Q.jpg

This model car set was quite a find. Worth a little cash on eBay. It being brand new doesn't hurt a bit.

2p0bd6q.jpg

A six disc set of the Escaflowne anime. Missing about half the discs to complete the collection, but still worth it. $.50 for each disc.

exdeath__turtle_by_masteronin.png

No, but in all seriousness...

4RHfAdV.jpg

...if I'm not mistaken, I believe my little tortoise friend's body here is made of gold. It's a brooch. The pin is metal, and the shell is painted ceramic. Not sure about the eye. The other eye is missing the red gem. $2.

r9QZpFo.jpg

Who's that Pokemon?! Wait, no, it's just a strategy guide. Nice bit of nostalgia. And I still play the game. It's a classic. $.50

3yU7Yx8.jpg

While we're on the subject of nostalgia. When I bought this, I thought it was a set of the trading cards. When I got home, I saw the top of it saying it is a 52-card deck of playing cards with Pokemon logos on them. Still, it's brand new and I only paid $1, so I should get something for it.
Not bad on the model car and the wii. I got mines a few years ago for $15 and it came with Zelda TP. Now see wii consoles going for $65+. I think u did pretty ell considering the extra remote and the pro controller. The games are always a bonus.

I took a supa seekret video of part of the guy's spiel and when I looked at it I heard the guy mention "Thrift Hunters".

I guess that was/is a TV show on Spike. The guy in the store was actually the guy with the beard from the show.

I found this imgur post from a year ago where someone ran into him at some other thrift where he was doing the same thing, running a "thrifting class".
More like scalping class lol dont let good will corporate find out prices will rise or all good stuff will start being on good will auction site

Stopped by the local thrift store while on vacation and found Goldfinger's first two CDs (self-titled and Hang Ups) and Weird Al's Greatest hits Vol II for $1 each.

Stopped at goodwill on my way home, checked out if the Spirit Camera new game was marked down from 9.99, the lady said hey look this just came out, what a deal. I kind of rolled my eyes as it was 29.99 for whatever was in the DS box.. i was like sure let's check it out. Black 3ds and a ton of games for 29.99! also 3ds works perfect.

http://imgur.com/sKCOh5h

sKCOh5h.jpg

Stopped at goodwill on my way home, checked out if the Spirit Camera new game was marked down from 9.99, the lady said hey look this just came out, what a deal. I kind of rolled my eyes as it was 29.99 for whatever was in the DS box.. i was like sure let's check it out. Black 3ds and a ton of games for 29.99! also 3ds works perfect.

http://imgur.com/sKCOh5h

sKCOh5h.jpg
What the fuck?! Looks like little Timmy got some bad grades and his mom donated all his games. Or maybe big Timmy went off to college and left a piece of his collection behind. In any case, great grab, to say the least. Seriously jelly right now. You're lucky they didn't throw that up on ShopGoodwill. That would have been a prime item on there.

How the he11 did that make it to the front of the store?! I would never see anything like that anymore around here!

Another fantastic day. Hit two stores today. Listen to this.

This I grabbed from the first thrift store that I hit on my lunch break. Grabbed some lunch too, though.

DXpiK5K.jpg

This is a real? pearl pendant + pottery... thing. For $4, I wasn't just going to stand and stare. But that's nothing compared to this.

TzI0RGc.jpg

Hehehe. A freakin' complete Gamecube. Manual too. Just no box. No Gameboy Player this time, either. I see this and just lose it, but quietly. Why don't you guys take a close look at those discs.

1goPaO2.jpg

The Spider-Meh game is well, meh, but you can't beat Super Smash Bros. Melee! Don't forget to look in the disc tray either! Moment of truth time! Not really though. Checked first thing in the store.

DUcCzBU.jpg

Well, well. Would you look at that? "It's a-me, money! Hoo hoo!" And guess what? I have a case and manual for Super Mario Sunshine with no disc. Years ago, when Gamestop was liquidating their GC games, I bought a Sunshine that was destroyed by their resurfacing machines. It came complete. I returned the game and kept the case. So now I have a complete copy to play. But wait, there's more. I reach into the tray to take Sunshine and put it in the case. And then, this happens...

1gD51JI.jpg

I don't even. I- I mean, you can't make this stuff up. Somebody put TWO games into the disc tray and closed it and donated it. And not just any game. Motherfuckin' Windwaker! Holy shit. I literally cannot lie about this. It's too stupendous.

Another fantastic day. Hit two stores today. Listen to this.

This I grabbed from the first thrift store that I hit on my lunch break. Grabbed some lunch too, though.

DXpiK5K.jpg

This is a real? pearl pendant + pottery... thing. For $4, I wasn't just going to stand and stare. But that's nothing compared to this.

TzI0RGc.jpg

Hehehe. A freakin' complete Gamecube. Manual too. Just no box. No Gameboy Player this time, either. I see this and just lose it, but quietly. Why don't you guys take a close look at those discs.

1goPaO2.jpg

The Spider-Meh game is well, meh, but you can't beat Super Smash Bros. Melee! Don't forget to look in the disc tray either! Moment of truth time! Not really though. Checked first thing in the store.

DUcCzBU.jpg

Well, well. Would you look at that? "It's a-me, money! Hoo hoo!" And guess what? I have a case and manual for Super Mario Sunshine with no disc. Years ago, when Gamestop was liquidating their GC games, I bought a Sunshine that was destroyed by their resurfacing machines. It came complete. I returned the game and kept the case. So now I have a complete copy to play. But wait, there's more. I reach into the tray to take Sunshine and put it in the case. And then, this happens...

1gD51JI.jpg

I don't even. I- I mean, you can't make this stuff up. Somebody put TWO games into the disc tray and closed it and donated it. And not just any game. Motherfuckin' Windwaker! Holy shit. I literally cannot lie about this. It's too stupendous.
All lies hahaha any who do we go to goodwill to resell or buy, it seems this thread has more resellers then anything

Did pretty good at some little thrift store- 2 Mario Dancepads for $10

Mario 64 plush, Luigi KNEX figure on the bike with booklet, and a 1999 Bowser with Kart and projectile blue shells- $1

Guitar Hero 3 for Wii, complete in box everything looks hardly used- $10

Games  were $3 apiece- Wii stuff is all complete, RockBand 2 and TMNT were the only complete PS games

Employee recognized me from my work and took my number down, said shed text if "anything gamey comes in"

Man, I hate my area.

Found this today, and almost bought it for 19.99, but I honestly have no room for it:

296aa5e0dd0b1c67327dcb59e19707bd.jpg

I did pick this up for .99 though. All complete and looks almost like new:

3163162507fc5055d60ee7b9550c74b8.jpg

bread's done
Back