20gb to 60gb HDD transfer questions!

TurkeyOnRye

CAGiversary!
Feedback
214 (100%)
I bought a Pro system a few years ago with a 20gb hard drive and have been pining away for a newer, larger drive. I finally scored a 60gb on the cheap from eBay. I did some reading and noticed people have problems transfer from a 20gb to a 60gb... there's alot of theories on how many times a transfer kit can be used and if a drive can be trnasfered to more than once and all of that.
I also bought a transfer kit on eBay, not a Microsoft one, but a 3rd party one that uses a PC and Xplorer360 software. I figured I could just copy the 20gb to my PC and then from the PC to the 60gb. Will this be a problem? Am I going to run into problems regarding Microsoft and copyright laws and all of that crap or get banned from Live or should I be ok? Just wondering as I kinda jumped head first into it without researching! Tell me it's gonna be ok!

There's two version of the official MS transfer kit out there, and it's all a software difference instead of a hardware difference.

The first software version of the transfer kit SW only does 20GB to 120GB transfers. The second version does same size to same size (20GB to 20GB, 60GB to 60GB, etc.) as well as smaller to larger (20GB to 60GB, etc.).

You can use the official MS one multiple times, I've proven that personally.

That's good... I just wonder what they sent me... there was a disc with the cable, but they also had a link to a download for Xplorer360 on the auction website.

Any idea if just transferring it to the PC and then to another hard drive would be a problem in terms of Microsoft and my Live account?

bread's done
Back