249.99 FS On a 42" 1080p TV

[quote name='omyard']I learned my lesson on cheap LCDs. From now on I stick to LG or Samsung.[/QUOTE]

My Insignia is working fine for 2+ years now.

[quote name='omyard']I learned my lesson on cheap LCDs. From now on I stick to LG or Samsung.[/QUOTE]

Me and my group of buddies got 5 of the 200 dollar sanyo 1080p TV's and we all have had no problems at all....

[quote name='xJoeGrizzly']Is it gaming related. Yes it is. Going from a 20" Standard Def TV to a 40" 1080p is a great jump on PS3 or 360

Here's the Link. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TCL-L40FHDM...0-1080p-LCD-HDTV-/220982433287#ht_2379wt_1175

My Buddy has this exact model. Its no Samsung, but it is Damn good for the price.[/QUOTE]

look in the cracks or open up the TV and it is a Samsung, TCL has Samsung parts inside it also it was 300 on amazon with a 2 year warranty

[quote name='xJoeGrizzly']Me and my group of buddies got 5 of the 200 dollar sanyo 1080p TV's and we all have had no problems at all....[/QUOTE]

Yeah I have a second generation 42" Sanyo TV (about two years old) and my parents have a first generation 46" Sanyo (going on four years old)

and we have had no problems.

In fact I have an Insignia and Coby (you can't get any cheaper then Coby) and those are humming just fine as well.

IMO unless you're a person that needs the best of the best you are getting a poor ROI by purchasing a top of the line name brand TV

[quote name='pedrobeara']look in the cracks or open up the TV and it is a Samsung, TCL has Samsung parts inside it also it was 300 on amazon with a 2 year warranty[/QUOTE]

Insignia does have Panasonic/Samsung parts in it as well.

That said, If you're buying a Samsung or Sony, you're not really a cheapassgamer. ;)

All of these things are manufactured and designed by the same handful of facilities anyway.

As with all products, tv "brand" is an illusion of value. Even if samsung makes it up in service quality I could buy 2-3 of these "generic" panels and keep spares for the same price.

This reminds me of the old story of an eBay seller mailing a picture of a TV to someone after listing the TV and stating "what you see is what you get".

I like Vizio. They're the premium low-end :)

[quote name='vlv723']Insignia does have Panasonic/Samsung parts in it as well.

That said, If you're buying a Samsung or Sony, you're not really a cheapassgamer. ;)[/QUOTE]

you are if its black friday lol

[quote name='Kerig']This reminds me of the old story of an eBay seller mailing a picture of a TV to someone after listing the TV and stating "what you see is what you get".

I like Vizio. They're the premium low-end :)[/QUOTE]

I Saw the same thing with cell phones on ebay.. Judge Judy gave her the backhand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHSte37BrOs

[quote name='xJoeGrizzly']I Saw the same thing with cell phones on ebay.. Judge Judy gave her the backhand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHSte37BrOs[/QUOTE]

Sadly due to the way judge judy works nothing negative happened to this person at all.

The show settles all the fees/costs for you. They basically pay you to embarrass yourself.

[quote name='fujimitsu']Sadly due to the way judge judy works nothing negative happened to this person at all.

The show settles all the fees/costs for you. They basically pay you to embarrass yourself.[/QUOTE]

Still embarrassing nonetheless. Perhaps gave the ebay scammers with no real jobs around the country a warning shot.

[quote name='xJoeGrizzly']I Saw the same thing with cell phones on ebay.. Judge Judy gave her the backhand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHSte37BrOs[/QUOTE]

I used to think she was tough till some guy with a lifeless look in his eyes, made her seem like a poodle. Damn Judy.. guess you ain't got no big azz booty.

Haven't ever seen her timid and petrified, till then.

[quote name='fujimitsu']All of these things are manufactured and designed by the same handful of facilities anyway.[/QUOTE]Pretty much this...

Quick Note: The TV does only have a 60z refresh.

[quote name='roymustang']Um... It's a 40" not 42" and its recertified, might wanna mention that in the tile OP.[/QUOTE]

My bad on the 42..... Good call broski

[quote name='kosmos13x']I'll stick to my superior Panasonic Alpha-ips 37" 1080p screen thank you very much :p[/QUOTE]

Hey me too!! :bouncy:

[quote name='roymustang']Um... It's a 40" not 42" and its recertified, might wanna mention that in the tile OP.[/QUOTE]

"The Manufacturer originally sent these out to retailers across the country, only to find that a firmware (tells the TV how to do its job) update was required for optimum operation. They brought them back to the factory, opened each set, and updated the firmware. These have never been used, but have been repackaged and may have extra shipping stickers from other retailers on the box."

Sounds like they are basically new.

[quote name='vlv723']Insignia does have Panasonic/Samsung parts in it as well.

That said, If you're buying a Samsung or Sony, you're not really a cheapassgamer. ;)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='fujimitsu']All of these things are manufactured and designed by the same handful of facilities anyway.

As with all products, tv "brand" is an illusion of value. Even if samsung makes it up in service quality I could buy 2-3 of these "generic" panels and keep spares for the same price.[/QUOTE]

I bought into that and I bought an Insignia 42" for $500 just after Black Friday, aside from having a dead pixel the screen was crap. Us close the thumbnails from my AppleTV look like watercolor paintings. One my Samsung and now my LG they look like a normal picture.

Since I bought it during the Christmas return period I was able to return it after I decided I couldn't tolerate it's inefficiencies anymore for an LG 47" open box from Amazon Warehouse.

[quote name='omyard']I bought into that and I bought an Insignia 42" for $500 just after Black Friday, aside from having a dead pixel the screen was crap. Us close the thumbnails from my AppleTV look like watercolor paintings. One my Samsung and now my LG they look like a normal picture.

Since I bought it during the Christmas return period I was able to return it after I decided I couldn't tolerate it's inefficiencies anymore for an LG 47" open box from Amazon Warehouse.[/QUOTE]

I don't doubt that the name brands look better, but for me, it's not worth the price difference. I have an older 32 inch Insignia plasma that's been great so far, no issues at all.

I'll give you the credit for it being a cheap big TV. Haven't seen a TV that big with a price that low for awhile.

However, as a main gaming TV I would not recommend getting this, especially a no name brand. It's not good to be cheap for a main gaming TV. Lowest end I would go is a Vizio right now.

I just think It's also sad we are saying "Yeah well my cheap TV has ran good the last four years,"" etc. lol. I know LCDS aren't going to last forever but I think anything less then 10 years isn't worth bragging over atm.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I'll give you the credit for it being a cheap big TV. Haven't seen a TV that big with a price that low for awhile.

However, as a main gaming TV I would not recommend getting this, especially a no name brand. It's not good to be cheap for a main gaming TV. Lowest end I would go is a Vizio right now.

I just think It's also sad we are saying "Yeah well my cheap TV has ran good the last four years,"" etc. lol. I know LCDS aren't going to last forever but I think anything less then 10 years isn't worth bragging over atm.[/QUOTE]

Why not? I mean I spent $200 on a LG 42" from Best Buy (albeit a price mistake). But you can get a 46" for less then $500. At that price I could replace it for a new version with better technology every 3-5 years and still pay less then the sucker buying the Samsung or Sony for $1,500 which will be outdate in the same time frame

my tv is currently crapping itself, speakers went the screen is messing up.
thanks op
ive been looking for a cheap replacement.
:)

It's not always about the name. It's about the quality of the panel and the processor. Even the big name brands make some crap. That's why you have to go and check it out for yourself, with your eyes. Come on, people. Use some common sense when giving comments.

All televisions suck now. Good luck seeing any of these working 10 years from now.

Saying that, many of these televisions people so highly regard have the exact same components as televisions like the one the OP posted. I have a frickin' Proscan tv that has LG, Samsung, and Vizio components.

It's kind of like thinking that Microsoft makes every piece of hardware in a 360.

[quote name='soulvengeance']I don't doubt that the name brands look better, but for me, it's not worth the price difference. I have an older 32 inch Insignia plasma that's been great so far, no issues at all.[/QUOTE]

I thought I was the only one with an Insignia 32 inch Plasma! :lol: They only made a couple... Plasmas at that size are pretty rare now :)

[quote name='voormis']All televisions suck now. Good luck seeing any of these working 10 years from now.[/QUOTE]
:applause:I had a Sharp SDtv before my current Panasonic SDtv that's in my room still. That Sharp lasted 15 years before it started to act up. I've had the Panasonic for about a half decade and it's getting a green hue down one side of the screen and the picture acts funny when there's a lot of action on the screen.:whistle2:#

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:applause:I had a Sharp SDtv before my current Panasonic SDtv that's in my room still. That Sharp lasted 15 years before it started to act up. I've had the Panasonic for about a half decade and it's getting a green hue down one side of the screen and the picture acts funny when there's a lot of action on the screen.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Did you stick magnets on the screen? ;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']No. Why?[/QUOTE]

it will mess up the picture.... it's the only thing I've seen destroy the picture on a CRT television (minus physical damage)

[quote name='GBAstar']Why not? I mean I spent $200 on a LG 42" from Best Buy (albeit a price mistake). But you can get a 46" for less then $500. At that price I could replace it for a new version with better technology every 3-5 years and still pay less then the sucker buying the Samsung or Sony for $1,500 which will be outdate in the same time frame[/QUOTE]

Sony Xbr8 10bit panel / Full LED $2500. 4 years old and still far superior picture than any other lcd/led I've seen to date. If i get another TV next year, it will have been $500 per year for best possible TV. How is that a sucker? A sucker pays $500 gor a new crap TV every year.

[quote name='xJoeGrizzly']Is it gaming related. Yes it is. Going from a 20" Standard Def TV to a 40" 1080p is a great jump on PS3 or 360

Here's the Link. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TCL-L40FHDM...0-1080p-LCD-HDTV-/220982433287#ht_2379wt_1175

My Buddy has this exact model. Its no Samsung, but it is Damn good for the price.[/QUOTE]

Taken from the forums index:

Video Game Deals (559 Viewing)
The best video game deals in the world are here

No mention of related deals in this forum. Specific deals on video games only. If this were the PS3 3D tv set this thread wouldnt eventually get moved.

And the deal is dead. While people here bitched and whined about an unknown brand, other people thought otherwise and snatched up this deal. :rofl:

[quote name='vlv723']My Insignia is working fine for 2+ years now.[/QUOTE]

Not that much to do with "working fine" and more to do with "looking like crap".

[quote name='Carnage']Sony Xbr8 10bit panel / Full LED $2500. 4 years old and still far superior picture than any other lcd/led I've seen to date. If i get another TV next year, it will have been $500 per year for best possible TV. How is that a sucker? A sucker pays $500 gor a new crap TV every year.[/QUOTE]

Because I could spend a 1/4 of that on an LCD or a 1/3 of that on a LED TV and replace it every year for a newer model and after three of four years have three HD TV's in my house and spend the same amount you did.

Unless your TV is 100" or cures cancer all you did by spending that much is make yourself feel like your penis is a few inches bigger.

[quote name='xJoeGrizzly']Me and my group of buddies got 5 of the 200 dollar sanyo 1080p TV's and we all have had no problems at all....[/QUOTE]

Cool story bro.

China appreciates your patronage.

[quote name='XF Gator']Cool story bro.

China appreciates your patronage.[/QUOTE]
They're all made overseas someplace anymore.:roll: So whether you pay $500 or $2000 for your cheaply made Chinese shit, the only thing different about them is the name on the outside usually.:whistle2:#

[quote name='fujimitsu']All of these things are manufactured and designed by the same handful of facilities anyway.

As with all products, tv "brand" is an illusion of value. Even if samsung makes it up in service quality I could buy 2-3 of these "generic" panels and keep spares for the same price.[/QUOTE]

You are going in the right direction with this post... quite a few of them are made in the same facilities with the same components. But, the tv brand is not an illusion. The big manufacturers have the money for the research and development, higher end panels, better firmware, better software, etc...

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']They're all made overseas someplace anymore.:roll: So whether you pay $500 or $2000 for your cheaply made Chinese shit, the only thing different about them is the name on the outside usually.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

I was reading somewhere that some of the big guys are starting to assemble the larger size sets in Mexico again because they are still having shipping issues on the bigger sets (47" +). I guess the long haul from China is resulting in a higher number of defective displays than they would like.

The panels are made by a select few manufacturers, however the guts otherwise are not. I had a 21" monitor with a top line Samsung IPS panel, a gorgeous screen, only to die because of a crap PSU with cheap capacitors (thanks, Gateway). Keep in mind that this was an extremely favorably reviewed monitor at the time of purchase, but almost all died by the 3 yr mark.
The reviews were professional, too...

You will be getting a low end samsung or other name brand panel, but the housing, PSU and controls well most likely be junk.

Stuff isn't built to last anymore, but the cheaper you go the more issues you'll have. I wonder what the timing is on a $250 40+" TV. Ghosting is probable. Those looking for a cheap upgrade for consoles would be best suited to get a high quality PC monitor when you are sub $500.

Every brand will have a good stuff and bad stuff. Just shop as smart as you can. This just sends up red flags.

Edit: Disclosure, I have a 46" Samsung LED LCD I got for $900 two years ago, a fantastic price on a then $1600+ TV. Probably cheaper now.

bread's done
Back