$2500 home theater system...free

XxFuRy2Xx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
Me and my mom were in the parking lot and heading into the gym, when we were stopped by a young gentleman. At first I thought he was gonna ask for directions cause he was lost. Instead he asked us if we wanted a home theater system that was worth $2500 for free. Why was it going to be for free? He said that he was making a delivery and that they had one more than what the order called for. He said that he didn't feel like taking it back, and wanted to get rid of it. He had an order form in his hand as well. Although me and my mom thought it was a bit too fishy and decided on not taking him up on his offer. I just wanted to know what you guys thought of our decision. Good idea, or bonehead move?

I'm sorry.. but this just sounds like BS.

Delivery people don't just have extras and if they do, I doubt they'll give it to someone for free.:roll:

he sounds like a maniac to me! can't get something for nothing just hope he didn't follow you home! he seems fishy

You did good. If you had taken it, you and mommy would have been shoved into the van it resided in and then who knows what.

I had this happen to me seven or eight years ago. I was driving cross country, and found myself on I-465 around Indy. So, I'm driving around at 65 mph, looking for my exit, when a white van pulls up beside me and a guy leans out and motions for me to roll down my window. I do, and he yells out "Dude! I see from your license plate that you're from Pennsylvania! What town?"
"Around Philly," I reply.
"Dude! No way! I'm from Cherry Hill, New Jersey! Dude! Wanna buy some speakers? They're worth like two grand, my buddy here just stole 'em from the place where he works!"

Believe it or not, this is actually the way some companies sell their crappy speakers. Usally, it's two guys in a white van, hence the common name "the white van speaker scam."

See details at: http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/4/9/224439/1810

Wow the same thing happened to me before... outside a Circuit City in Westminster, Colorado. It was a white van (kidnapper vehicles) w/ a white driver and another guy who was black. They told me that same story how one of the orders was cancelled and how they could give me these speakers away for free and that I should hurry up because they were going to deliver another pair to someone else's house. It felt odd, so I didn't do it.

Almost same exact thing happened to me last fall. 2 guys pull up next to me in traffic and offer me a $2000 home theater system for free....suprised by this gesture i say no...."aaaaaalright" they say as if im makin the biggest mistake of my life. I think we need to get to the bottom of this strange occurance :whistle2:k

There was some people in a K-mart parking lot doing something like this. They said they were selling kids toys and videos for charity. I took a business card from them gave them no donation and looked them up. Guess what they were no where to be found on the internet. I wanted to go back and beat the shit outta of them. All of those poor people giving there hard earned money for dollar store toys and the money is going to some crooks pocket. To this day I wish I would of took a bat to his head.

I would have taken it... If this was true, but it never happened did it? That delivery guy would get charged for doing that. With either theft or the company he was delivering for would make him pay the $2,500. And if it was just an extra one from a order and there would be no paper trail he would have kept it himself.

that happens to me almost any time in a home depot parking lot :lol:

i was told by some friends that what they do is have a good name brand box w/ shitty woofers....that way everything looks legit until you get home...then its too late to do anything

this has probably seriously happened about 10 times to me in my life....which is a lot IMO...ive always turned 'em down, but sometimes they get pretty demanding...i remember one time the guy cussed me out because i wouldn't at least look at the speakers :lol:

EDIT: ive never heard of them giving 'em away for free though...i would've told them where to drop it off at and id take care of it later...that way i couldn't get shoved inside of some van :lol: do you have a pretty mouth? that might give you a hint to if they were going to kidnap you :lol:

When I used to drive around my old VW Bus, I'd get an offer like this *at least* once a month. Never took them up on it. It's more than likely stolen goods. If you do decide to take an offer like this up, IMMEDIATLY call the police and report the suspicious activity. They can run serial #s and such to see if it's been reported stolen.

I once had a guy yelling at me out his window if I wanted to check out his speakers. I got so distracted I almost went into the wrong lane.

[quote name='z1ggyp00p']I had this happen to me seven or eight years ago. I was driving cross country, and found myself on I-465 around Indy. So, I'm driving around at 65 mph, looking for my exit, when a white van pulls up beside me and a guy leans out and motions for me to roll down my window. I do, and he yells out "Dude! I see from your license plate that you're from Pennsylvania! What town?"
"Around Philly," I reply.
"Dude! No way! I'm from Cherry Hill, New Jersey! Dude! Wanna buy some speakers? They're worth like two grand, my buddy here just stole 'em from the place where he works!"

Believe it or not, this is actually the way some companies sell their crappy speakers. Usally, it's two guys in a white van, hence the common name "the white van speaker scam."

See details at: http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/4/9/224439/1810[/QUOTE]

This happened to me a couple of months ago. A guy was yelling at me from a van in traffic, asking if I wanted a $2000 dollar stereo system for cheap. My wife and son were w/me at the time, so I just gave him a nod and drove on. I just kept thinking, who would want to give up a 2 grand system for cheap? Now I know.

Dang, I want to find one of these guys.

Because, I would get my own creepy white van. And offer them even crappier speakers for cheaper before they could offer me their speakers!

Then when they come over to look at my speakers, i'd just pull them in and rape them.

Ahaaa!! Jokes on you!

Hi i'm new to the forums.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Dang, I want to find one of these guys.

Because, I would get my own creepy white van. And offer them even crappier speakers for cheaper before they could offer me their speakers!

Then when they come over to look at my speakers, i'd just pull them in and rape them.

Ahaaa!! Jokes on you!

Hi i'm new to the forums.[/QUOTE]

wow, what an intro. welcome to the forums!

Twice, sorta. Once some homeless guy wanted to sell me a speaker, I think it was probably something he found (said no and didn't even see it though), and not a van type scam. Another time a white van with 2 guys drove up to me while I was walking to my car leaving a class on my universities campus. They actually came up to me on campus, near the main building and the campus security offices. I said no and they drove off.

thi same exact thing happened to me a couple years back, was with my mom and some young kid pulled up next to us asking if we wanted a free big screen, my mom said no even though I wanted it so bad.

I live in Newark, Delaware and this happened to me 5 times in the past 7 years I have been living here. Just recently a few months ago at a 7-11 on 273 (for those who know where I am talking about). A white van parked next to my truck and asked if I wanted some speakers for free. I of course said no and the guy was like "that's cool" (I said it in a firm voice and I am also a pretty big guy). That 7-11 also gave me another memory... about a month ago I walking out of the 7-11 where this drop dead gorgeous brunette walked past me and said, "You are so cute baby". Being that I am overweight and I consider myself pretty friggin ugly, I thought she was just messing with me so I just said "Thanks" and I walked away (why would a beautiful woman even consider me...). She just said "alright, bye". I still think it was joke (like a episode of punk'd).

same shit happened to me in manhattan on 14th street right near the nyu campuss. It was weird cause it is the exact same story everyone here is talking about. I told the guys I didnt have money at the time and they kept asking annoying questions.

so I said um go to 8th street there are some poeple there that would buy it and the dudes said ok and drove off. Now I kno better

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Me and my mom were in the parking lot and heading into the gym, when we were stopped by a young gentleman. At first I thought he was gonna ask for directions cause he was lost. Instead he asked us if we wanted a home theater system that was worth $2500 for free. Why was it going to be for free? He said that he was making a delivery and that they had one more than what the order called for. He said that he didn't feel like taking it back, and wanted to get rid of it. He had an order form in his hand as well. Although me and my mom thought it was a bit too fishy and decided on not taking him up on his offer. I just wanted to know what you guys thought of our decision. Good idea, or bonehead move?[/QUOTE]

I was at Burger King and got this EXACT same story from two dudes in a van. They asked if I wanted this subwoofer kit for free, I told them yes, and then they asked me for some money to "throw a party" with. I told them I had no cash on me, and they said they'd follow me to an ATM. I told them no thanks, and lied, saying that I didn't use banks. They were pretty nice about it, but yeah, I'm sure they were stolen or some kind of scam. They probably would've robbed me at the ATM or something. Go figure.

It was either stollen goods or it was some sort of con... where he would rob you when you got in the truck or whatever.

I was walking back to the dorm from class when I was at college when this happened to me. 2 men, white van, I forget how much they wanted to sell me speakers for, but I thought it sounded very fishy and I think I told them something like "No, I don't like music."

I had the exact thing happen to me when I was in Nashville. My wife and I were leaving the gym and getting ready to go home. We were at a stop sign, getting ready to turn when a white van pulled up next to us and some guy gave us a story about a "free" surround sound system.

We turned him down and he quickly took off down the road and we could see him getting along side another car and leaning out the window.

I didn't realize it was such a widespread thing.

do they offer anything else other than speakers?
i've seen this done before, but mostly to young women, i just keep walking...well...i got offered something once..i was taking my gf at the time 2 the movies, we left, and these 3 crack-head looking black guys offered her a ride...we're standing arm in arm..and they walk up 2 her..and a gold plated mouthed guy walks up 2 her..BABY DO U NEED A RIIIIIIIIDE
she said no, and then another guy came up (less gold in his mouth) and kept asking her if she needs a ride..i yelled at them saying no, i have a car, eventually they walked off..and i was lucky too..im like 5'7 slim, and these were like 6'+ huge guys...

I had this happen to me when I was pumping gas about a month ago. I was staring out into the distance, when this kid (probably 23ish) goes "Hey dude, you want to buy these speakers? They're worth over $2000 but I'm letting them go for $200." Like really, I'm at a gas station pumping gas, what makes you think I'm in the market for speakers?

I don't think people get any dumber.

[quote name='AlucardDE']I live in Newark, Delaware and this happened to me 5 times in the past 7 years I have been living here. Just recently a few months ago at a 7-11 on 273 (for those who know where I am talking about). A white van parked next to my truck and asked if I wanted some speakers for free. I of course said no and the guy was like "that's cool" (I said it in a firm voice and I am also a pretty big guy). That 7-11 also gave me another memory... about a month ago I walking out of the 7-11 where this drop dead gorgeous brunette walked past me and said, "You are so cute baby". Being that I am overweight and I consider myself pretty friggin ugly, I thought she was just messing with me so I just said "Thanks" and I walked away (why would a beautiful woman even consider me...). She just said "alright, bye". I still think it was joke (like a episode of punk'd).[/QUOTE]

could be that she was a prostitute (assuming u are as ugly as u say u are). Or she was just mocking you.

Anyway on topic, once you tell them yes for wanting the free speakers they will ask you for some money for some reason. For example, telling you they are so nice (after showing them to you) that u should at least give them a few bucks. What they give u is a pair of tower speakers, which look expensive but are actually very shitty. The speakers do actually work, but they are no where near the quality of the $2000 value that they claim they are. Also, they are not after kidnapping you, they want 200 bucks.

Lol damn, I didn't think I would get so many responses. I feel special though, because the guys who offered me the free theater system where in a blue bronco and not in a white van. I am definitely not the smallest guy, so I doubt they would have kidnapped me. They probably would have asked for some cash once they handed us the theater system cause they "need" it or something.

This happen to me a couple of times and the last time it was at my work parking lot of all places. It was for some extra speakers that they were suppose to install at someones house, but that person decided to change his mind and not get it after all. Since they didn't want to drive all the way 50 miles back to work to return them, they decided to sell it to us.
Since were on the subject of scams, as anyone had the cologne/perfume scam? It supposedly 2 guys selling no name brand that smells just like the name brand. One guy will let you try out the scents and the other guy will spray you and you fall asleep and they rob you.

Yeah, this happened to me also when I was returning some movies back to Hollywood. Two guys pulled up in a van that said Al's Audio or something like that and they wanted to give me the home theater system for free. I was like no thanks I already have one. They drove off. When I got home and I told my Dad about it, he said "If I was with you I would've said yes so that way we could both jump them if they started something!" It was pretty funny

come friend, i swear they good speekers...

insidevan35oe.jpg

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Dang, I want to find one of these guys... i'd just pull them in and rape them...
Hi i'm new to the forums.[/QUOTE]

Wow.

You, sir, are a cheap-ass-sick-bastard! But you definately need that around here.

Well, we welcome you with open arms. ;)

Wow,

I had some guy come up to me with a few buddies of mine when I was 16 and offer me some gold necklaces, wathces etc.

Long story short I dropped $80 (yes I know) for this wide 18" chain and a large gold cross both stamped 14k...

Well the chain wasnt gold but the cross I still have to this day... I ended up trading the chain to some guy who worked at 7-11... He never held up his end of the bargain but the chain was fake & worthless.

Funny thing is in 2003 the same guy rolled up to me in Lansing. I was driving my since sold Mercedes.. He flashed the same stuff and asked if I wanted anything? I said no and imediately called the police and let them know his plate etc.

Hopefully that scamming bastard got pulled over.

Apprently here is an audio file of some guy that fell for this and then met the guys again 11 years later and tried for revenge...

http://207.70.82.73/pages/descriptions/02/222.html

I've had this happen as well, once outside Circuit City. White van and everything, but I don't remember what the guys looked like. I just said no thanks, it sounded way too suspicious. I didn't bother calling the cops though.

Why the hell has this happend to everyone?! I thought it was just me and a random occurance. We where in the parking lot, guys roll up with $2000 speakers ( why do they always pick 2k?) and asked if we wanted it for $50. To be honest we actually thought about it and asked if anyhting was wrong with it. THey said " No man! we will pull over and you can check them out." they turned the Suv around and while they where we got in the car and left.... awkward....

I say we set up a trap for them.... :bouncy:

Probably a scam. I wouldn't want to invite some random dude into my house so that he can: learn where I live, what the security in my house is like, what kind of valuables i have that he can steal (now or later), God knows what else. Anyway, if he woulda given 'em to you for free and just dropped 'em off in your car... maybe. Still fishy.

[quote name='JSK414']Am I the only one on these boards that didn't have this happen to them before?[/QUOTE]

no, theres two of us...

[quote name='roguejedi5']
Since were on the subject of scams, as anyone had the cologne/perfume scam? It supposedly 2 guys selling no name brand that smells just like the name brand. One guy will let you try out the scents and the other guy will spray you and you fall asleep and they rob you.[/QUOTE]

umm are you sure you arent thinkin of a cartoon

This also happened to me. 2 Guys were sitting in a car right outside of my office building asked me if I wanted to buy some speakers real cheap, the old we got an extra pair and just want to make a couple of extra bucks. I told them I had no cash, and they were like we'll take a check or can you borrow some money from your co-workers. I just laughed and walked away.

this has happened at least once to me and every single one of my friends here in SoCal :lol: one of my friends actually fell for it and we laughed when we heard the sound quality coming from the speakers :D

I too have been accosted by the dubious white van...somebody I know actually bought the speakers once. He tried bragging and we all laughed at him. they didn't sound too good and they broke after a few months.

Wow, I've never been hit with this scam. I am surprised. I frequently get accosted by scam artists. I usually get the person whose car has supposedly broken down and they need bus fare. Sometimes I offer them a ride and they ALWAYS refuse.

bread's done
Back