$299 PS3 at Game Crazy??? (YMMV)

importfighter817

CAG Veteran
This was found on the Official PS3 forums (thanks to BufordKat). And I quote:

"OK, here's the deal. If you trade in two of your old PS2's they will give you $200 towards the purchase of the PS3 ($110 for the slim and $90 for the fat one). The deal goes from today till I think they said August 27th. So anyone holding off because they are to expensive and just happen to have two old systems, well, you just can't beat that deal. Anyways, just thought you might like to know. Happy gaming everyone!"

Although I don't need this deal anymore, I was hoping some of you on the fence would finally jump off.

[quote name='tat2boy']I just called the GameCrazy stores here in Pearland, TX and another in Houston, TX and both quoted me only $30 for a XBox console trade-in plus $50 bonus towards a PS3 or 360. So I can only get $80 off if I went to these particular stores!!!

Should I call another one or ask that store to double check the trade-in values with corporate?[/QUOTE]
I just went to the store in Houston on S. Braeswood and they wouldn't admit to the 50 bucks off deal. Which store did you call? I got a 30 dollar price quote for my PS2 there.

[quote name='Miguel']I just went to the store in Houston on S. Braeswood and they wouldn't admit to the 50 bucks off deal. Which store did you call? I got a 30 dollar price quote for my PS2 there.[/quote]
I called the store in Pearland on 518 (East Broadway) and the one in Houston on S. Wayside. Both stores confirmed the console trade-in promotion ($50 additional bonus towards a PS3 / 360). I got the name of the Pearland guy but didn't quite catch the one for S. Wayside. PM me if you want the name for reference.

I got my deal at the Houston store in Champions, on 1960, just north of Willowbrook Mall ... they couldn't stack the $50 bump though. But they will acknowledge the promotion if you're having trouble in Houston.

[quote name='Guy Legend']Do you all think a grey ps1 dual shock controller would be acceptable as the trade in with the PS2?[/quote]
Probably not, they check for stuff like that when checking the trade ins. Especially since there was no grey Dual Shock 2 controller released for PS2.

Have you ever tried a PS1 Dual Shock controller on a PS2 game that has "pressure sensitive" mentioned on the back? It will say there's no controller because the PS2 DS controller is pressure sensitive.

i just got off the phone w/ the GC near me on Hwy 6 in bear creek & they just told me i get bout 80 for it, i thought it was 90 & if there is another number for another GC pls let me know

EasyjohnnyD here,

i'm a new member as of like a week ago. Saw this deal about gamecrazy giving money off a PS3 if you trade in your old ps2s. So i did.....and i ended up getting a 60 Gb PS3 w/ extra controller + resistance for $365.00.

I traded in:

2 - PS2s w/ 1 controller and all the associated cables
1 - PS2 Remote
3 - 8mb save cards
1 - network adapter
19 - old ps2 games; 1 of them didn't even work (they didn't bother to check)

Additionally, signed up for MVP card which gave an additional 20% value to all the stuff i traded in.

Total trade in value worth: $275.00 off

PS3 = $499.00 - 275 = 224 --> + controller + resistance + tax = $365.00!!

This is an insane deal. Call ahead to make sure they still have the deal running. I must have called 5 or 6 stores and some said they had the deal and others said they didn't. Then, some stores will try to give you the run around. Thankfully, I lucked out and found a store that was still running the deal... which should be running through August 27, 2007. JUMP ON THIS DEAL STAT.

- Peace. I'm going to go play some resistance and download all the demos that i can. :bouncy:

so does this deal end on the 27th? can a GC employee confirm so that i know for a fact i get an extra couple days to make this trade.

also how much is a 360 prem trade in for?

kinda wanna trade my xbox and 360 for an Elite.

sorry for askin this question but i gotta know, to those who have traded in your systems plus other games or accessories,i was wandering if anyone got charged tax when they got their ps3 cause i did so if anyone can let me know that be great.....thanx

[quote name='joker______']sorry for askin this question but i gotta know, to those who have traded in your systems plus other games or accessories,i was wandering if anyone got charged tax when they got their ps3 cause i did so if anyone can let me know that be great.....thanx[/quote]

...well yeah. The only time you aren't charged tax is if your store credit covers the entire amount.

oh ok thanx man i wasnt sure, reason i was asking cause i never got charged tax when i got my wii so i thought id ask,thanx again

[quote name='dracula']the safe bet is to go to 2 different GC stores. Then again there arent that many in los angeles, a big city. I have a busted slim, is there any way to get it fixed(cheaply if possible).[/quote]

Depends on what you mean by 'busted'. If you mean it's completely dead, then Sony does a swap out(as long as the systems warranty seal is intact) for $45 or they offer to repair it for $75.

If it's just a simple Disc Read Error problem, then pop the lid open and clean the laser lens with a q tip dampened with rubbing alcohol. Why rubbing alcohol? Because it evaporates quickly and leaves no residue unlike many other cleaning agents.

Although I have talked to others on here who have used their saliva to clean the lens or peroxide, but YMMV on using those type of fluids.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Probably not, they check for stuff like that when checking the trade ins. Especially since there was no grey Dual Shock 2 controller released for PS2.

Have you ever tried a PS1 Dual Shock controller on a PS2 game that has "pressure sensitive" mentioned on the back? It will say there's no controller because the PS2 DS controller is pressure sensitive.[/quote]

I absolutely hated that shit when it would come up, since I had a favorite controlller(3rd party) for PS1 which worked with 90+% of my games on PS2.

I tried using it on KillZone or some other game, no go, so I took the used copy of KillZone back rather than give up using my fave controller. I'm very AR about some stuff, this being one thing and the whole 'pressure sensitivity' thing to me is a bunch of bunk imo.

As for this deal, even if my only local GC weren't 30+ miles away, I still wouldn't do it since neither system that gets the discount is worth my cash yet.

Oh and how many GC employees DO we have on here? All of the 'confirmations' or denials of this deal by various posters had my head spinning.

[quote name='GauntletPython']Does anyone know if you could get a used PS3 for even more off? Does GC even sell used PS3s?[/quote]

Deal is only on new systems, not used.

Yes, GC does sell used PS3 systems, just got to find one that has one in stock.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Deal is only on new systems, not used.

Yes, GC does sell used PS3 systems, just got to find one that has one in stock.[/quote]

Actually the GC that I went they let me get a used system with the discount. I'm sure it's YMMV because I had to go to 3 different game crazy before they even took my PS2 because it had an RF adapter and not AV cables......Unfortuantly they only gave me $30+50 bonus for each PS2

Today's the last day for this deal. I can confirm that as of yesterday, trade-in value for the XBox and fat boy PS2 went down to $30. The PS2 slim is still $50, so you still get $100 for it.

And yeah, you can get a used system with it.

Damn, i waited too long on this deal(almost pulled the trigger this morning), and it went cold.

I was willing to sacrifice my Halo xbox for $100 off a likely to break soon 360 without hdmi, but not $80.

bread's done
Back