$3.18 HDMI Cable - For all you new console owners.

lol, $0.21 is the cost of the cable itself, the rest is shipping. Also buyer beware, super cheap cables are often terrible quality, you can get buzzing and other side effects. But for $3, it's worth a shot :)

Does HDMI really differ with the more expensive cables? I just grabbed a free one from my friends house. A cable made by Shaxon Industries? Works o.k, but I wouldn't know.

A guy at work swears he can tell the difference between his $100 monster hdmi cables and my monoprice cable I lent him to test. He swears by monster and has everything hooked up with $100 cables....

I asked him were his cables like 18x better than my $5-6 cable and he said no but they are a lil bit better.... I told him to STFU and recognize a deal then! lol some people wonder why they never have pocket money.. :D

[quote name='$hady']A guy at work swears he can tell the difference between his $100 monster hdmi cables and my monoprice cable I lent him to test. He swears by monster and has everything hooked up with $100 cables....

I asked him were his cables like 18x better than my $5-6 cable and he said no but they are a lil bit better.... I told him to STFU and recognize a deal then! lol some people wonder why they never have pocket money.. :D[/QUOTE]

In reality Monster just buys their cables from Monoprice as well and stamps their logos on when they add their expensive looking heads. The is not true but they are not really worth the rip off price they charge. But then again they much rather sell one set to someone who believes the hype then to 50 random people that are smarter then that.

Yeah, it's sad to see people tricked into thinking that there are "degrees" of quality when it comes to HDMI. The cheapest HDMI cable provides the exact same picture as the most expensive.

[quote name='$hady']A guy at work swears he can tell the difference between his $100 monster hdmi cables and my monoprice cable I lent him to test. He swears by monster and has everything hooked up with $100 cables....

I asked him were his cables like 18x better than my $5-6 cable and he said no but they are a lil bit better.... I told him to STFU and recognize a deal then! lol some people wonder why they never have pocket money.. :D[/QUOTE]

If I overpaid for my cables by hundreds of dollars I'd swear I could see a difference too.

As others have said, use Monoprice.com Their HDMI cables are $3 every day and work great.

[quote name='MasterOGA']lol, $0.21 is the cost of the cable itself, the rest is shipping. Also buyer beware, super cheap cables are often terrible quality, you can get buzzing and other side effects. But for $3, it's worth a shot :)[/QUOTE]

It's a digital cable there is no degredation. There are only 1's and 0's. The signal is either there or not.

Do you need an extra wire? Just ordered the ps3 yesterday, doesn't it come with an hd wire of some sort?

never shopped at mono price before plus i have amazon prime shows all 3 cables for $3 free shipping wich sounds good or should i really make an account at monoprice

[quote name='placebo1']It's a digital cable there is no degredation. There are only 1's and 0's. The signal is either there or not.[/QUOTE]

Lol. That's right, folks. Don't disconnect when your equipment is on, because it'll spray 1's and 0's all over your room, and you'll be cleaning up for hours.

If the signal stays intact from one point to another, there is no degradation of the image. The signal itself can degrade, in purely electrical terms, if at the end of that run the bitstream can be fully and correctly reconstituted, it does not matter what degradation the signal suffered. But when it starts to fail, it starts to fail dramatically. The first sign of an HDMI signal failure is digital dropouts where a pixel or two can't be read. If the cable was made longer, it would then display no image.

That being said, I have bought all of my cables from Monoprice and have had no issues.

[quote name='KMunley']Do you need an extra wire? Just ordered the ps3 yesterday, doesn't it come with an hd wire of some sort?[/QUOTE]
No, it only comes with a composite cable.

Good deal OP. I can also vouch for Monoprice, as I got my cables from them too.

Other than some differences in HDMI cable "versions"? (1.3, 1.3a, 1.3b) they really don't make much of a difference. Never paid full "Best Buy" price for HDMI cables, never needed to ;)

I just bought the cheapest 6ft hdmi to dvi cable from monoprice about a week ago, that cable is about 3/8" thick with gold connections at both ends. It wasn't for my 360, I'm still using the one that came with my elite, but all this talk if quailty reminded me of when I switched from VGA to hdmi. There was a difference not nearly as much difference as when I switched from analog audio to optical audio. The difference with the audio was the rear speakers (infinty) went from a fuzzy matrixed channel to a crystal clear seperate channel, the rear speakers sounded just as good as the front speakers.

I agree with others here who say overpriced cables are rip offs. If the cable doesn't have obvious defects, then its successfully carrying all of the data for a digital signal (this is very different from old speaker cables where differences in voltage/resistance were actually relevant).

I don't understand the guy with Monster HDMI cables that says the picture is better...the cable isn't going to send extra bits and data for the color red (for example)...the info either gets there or does not. It would be like saying your USB cable for an external hard drive sends better data...uh, it either works or it doesn't!

Only caveat is that HDMI cable specified category 2.0 is tested to higher speed levels and is guaranteed (but I'm a little unclear if all the 1.3 and up cables are cat 2 or not).

oh amazon isnt selling these so it dont matter if you have prime or not-shipping is like $9 for all three

[quote name='youenvy']never shopped at mono price before plus i have amazon prime shows all 3 cables for $3 free shipping wich sounds good or should i really make an account at monoprice[/QUOTE]

Get them from Amazon if you need cables. 3 HDMI cables for $3 cant be beat.

Nope. I have a "cheap" cable hooked up to my 360, and it works fine. The reason a lot of people want the official 360 HDMI cable, though, is because of the audio dongle that comes with it.

[quote name='gbpackers94']I thought the only HD cable that worked with the 360 was the microsoft one.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure the MS HDMI cable is a standard HDMI cable.

This isn't really a deal, you can always find HDMI cables for these prices on Amazon or Monoprice.

[quote name='KMunley']Do you need an extra wire? Just ordered the ps3 yesterday, doesn't it come with an hd wire of some sort?[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat as you (waiting for my PS3 to arrive), but I'm pretty sure it only comes with SD hook-ups (i.e. composite).
I ordered an HDMI cable from Monoprice.

What the, this is not Monster Cable. How ever will I obtain full HDMI reception with it? :p
cag

does anyone know whether the amazon hdmi cable that the OP posted is worth buying? I just don't want crappy quality, and I just bought a ps3 :p

edit: also which cable would you buy from monoprice? because theres so many different ones!

[quote name='orbit18']does anyone know whether the amazon hdmi cable that the OP posted is worth buying? I just don't want crappy quality, and I just bought a ps3 :p

edit: also which cable would you buy from monoprice? because theres so many different ones![/QUOTE]

Theres like 70+ user reviews on that hdmi alone :O.

They all range from 4/5s

Sucks that this thread is rated a 3... Its one of the cheapest and reliable hdmi cables you can get... :(. Just wanted to spread the wealth! DAMN YOU THREAD CRAPPERS!

[quote name='DaMonStEr']HDMI is HDMI, so yea.[/QUOTE]

Not if it is a High Definition Microsoft Interface. ;-)

[quote name='gantt']Lol. That's right, folks. Don't disconnect when your equipment is on, because it'll spray 1's and 0's all over your room, and you'll be cleaning up for hours.[/QUOTE]

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Someday someone is going to take one of these $3 cables and strangle the annoying electronics "gurus" at Best Buy with it.

Thanks OP, I grabbed one, to try it out on the 42" Bravia my Mom got for her B-day with my PS3.

Oh, gomikeoh I bumped up the thread rating since I agree, if people are too stupid to read (seems to be quite a few visiting CAG's here that are in need of reading comprehension and some patience to do research) and look over reviews and stuff to see if something is decent or not without someone "telling" them if it is or not, then I don't think they need any of these bargains a lot of people provide. For $3 and some change shipped, I mean come on are you going to be that disappointed if it doesn't work as well as Monster Cables....for cryin' out loud.

Good deal, and most importantly good thread, thanks again. :)

Got to love the mark up on cables. I got an 8 foot Rocketfish HDMI cable, which is normally $80, from my hook up at Best Buy for $5. But, for $3, if I didn't already have all my devices hooked up HDMI, it's worth the risk.

[quote name='gantt']Lol. That's right, folks. Don't disconnect when your equipment is on, because it'll spray 1's and 0's all over your room, and you'll be cleaning up for hours.[/QUOTE]

This happened to me last night!

[quote name='youenvy']damn thats a dope ass deal--just hoping they dont make an excuse on the rebate. id like to pick up 2. give on to my nephew. or is there a limit per customer[/QUOTE]

Forget the hassle and just buy from monoprice.

bread's done
Back