3 AM Revelation

[quote name='oNeWiNgEdAnGeL']Spam more?[/quote]

It's in the OTT so I think the only one dropping spam here would be you.
:spam:

and if you want to learn to play guitar get some cheap lessions through your school music department and make sure that your interested before you spend some cash on a good guitar.

[quote name='Renzokuken']What is spam made out of?[/quote]

same stuff as sausage but in an even lower grade

here:

chopped pork shoulder meat with ham meat added
salt (for binding, flavor, and firmness)
water (to help in mixing)
sugar (for flavor)
sodium Nitrite (for color and as a preservative)

http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20010205.html

from ask yahoo.

Step 1: Learn how to sew
Step 2: Buy fabric, sewing machine, and other supplies
Step 3: Build your costume
Step 4: Move to Hollywood
Step 5: Check the want ads
Step 6: Be hired on to play the part of a large, living, talking guitar in a film
Step 7: Steal underpants
Step 8:
Step 9: Profit!
Step 10: Sing a cute song while kicking guardian_owl's ass for wasting 2 minutes of your life you'll never get back :twisted:

[quote name='guardian_owl']Step 1: Learn how to sew
Step 6: Be hired on to play the part of a large, living, talking guitar in a film
Step 8:
Step 10: Kick guardian_owl's ass for wasting 2 minutes of your life you'll never get back :twisted:[/quote]

Yes but you forgot the step where you sing a cute song about what your doing

[quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='guardian_owl']Step 1: Learn how to sew
Step 8:
Step 10: Kick guardian_owl's ass for wasting 2 minutes of your life you'll never get back :twisted:[/quote]

Yes but you forgot the step where you sing a cute song about what your doing[/quote]fixed :wink:

[quote name='guardian_owl']
Step 10: Sing a cute song while kicking guardian_owl's ass for wasting 2 minutes of your life you'll never get back :twisted:[/quote]

:rofl:

practice. Practice all the time. Practice until your fingers bleed. Clean your fingertips, and start practicing again. playwhile you watch t.v. Practice with your favorite cds. keep at it !

i suggest a Fender. something around the $100 range.. then go here http://www.guitartabs.cc/ AND here http://www.guitartricks.com/
You'll be learning how to impress your friends with twinkle twinkle little star in no time.

Blamm
12_28_0.jpg

[quote name='doctorfaustus']practice. Practice all the time. Practice until your fingers bleed. Clean your fingertips, and start practicing again. playwhile you watch t.v. Practice with your favorite cds. keep at it ![/quote]
There's a rhyme in there somewhere, I can feel it...

Practice, practice all the time, eventually you will play sublime.
Practice till your fingers bleed, clean your fingers when in need
Play again where you can see, your favorite programs on the TV
Practice with your favorite CDs, err umm..., and hopefully you won't be stung by killer bees.

[quote name='guardian_owl'][quote name='doctorfaustus']practice. Practice all the time. Practice until your fingers bleed. Clean your fingertips, and start practicing again. playwhile you watch t.v. Practice with your favorite cds. keep at it ![/quote]
There's a rhyme in there somewhere, I can feel it...

Practice, practice all the time, eventually you will play sublime.
Practice till your fingers bleed, clean your fingers when in need
Play again where you can see, your favorite programs on the TV
Practice along with your favorite CDs, err umm..., and hopefully you won't be stung by killer bees.[/quote]

:rofl: With that, I'm to bed.

Drums are funner, and alot louder. Just take up a ton of space. My buddy learned by just picking a cheap one up and practicing I would suggest learning how to read music as opposed to tabs or whatnot, he is pretty good but his drawback is his inability to read music and learn new shit quick.

somebody's trying to win his future mother in law back with a song...

Anyways i'd get a cheap guitar incase you end up changing your mind.

go with electric!

anyways i'd try and learn tabs.. maybe start out with Smoke On The Water... if you cant play that.. quit.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']What's a good place to buy a cheap guitar?[/quote]

You should look into local music stores that stock used equipment. You can probably pick up a cheap one at some department stores but those things are normally poorly built and don't sound right.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/510625X/

How's that?[/quote]

Your planning on starting with an electric?

And I'm not familiar with it.

[quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='Mr. Anderson']http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/510625X/

How's that?[/quote]

And I'm not familiar with it.[/quote]

Yeah, definitley electric. I hate people who sit around and strum on acoustics. It's so irritating.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson'][quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='Mr. Anderson']http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/510625X/

How's that?[/quote]

And I'm not familiar with it.[/quote]

Yeah, definitley electric. I hate people who sit around and strum on acoustics. It's so irritating.[/quote]

Well then you should also pick up an amp, unless you want to play electric acoustic. :lol:

And I've always been a bigger fan of acoustics myself so I know jack about eletrics.

Getting one is the first step, I'd guess, but a recent episode of Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law suggested it would be pretty hard for a private citizen to get a guitar these days. Unless you live in a state like Texas.

Just be sure to take the safety course before you try to play it on your own.

I suggest getting a decent guitar. Used is OK. That way if you decide it's not for you, you can get most of your $ back reselling it.

Reasons why you shouldn't start with a cheap/starter guitar:

- Resale value for a crappy/starter guitar is low.

- It will sound like crap and you will think learning to play is no fun when you sound like crap

- Higher cost when you upgrade your guitar. If you buy a decent one to start with, then you won't have to deal with the money lost in selling/trading in your crappy axe

I started on a POS guitar with a neck thicker than most basses. The only good that came out of it was I was able to develop strong fingers that enabled me to do fast/amazing playing when I upgraded to a good guitar.

Even though you can customize your guitar and upgrade its sound via pickup installation, you cannot change the guitar's inherit sound it gets from the resonance produced by the guitar's body. That's why choosing a guitar made of nice wood is important, since a kickass set of pickups will still sound weak sauce when installed in a guitar with body made out of cheap/bad wood with poor resonance qualities.

I highly recommend you check out your friends' guitars and get a feel of what you like and what you don't like in a guitar instead of making your choice solely based on brand and price. Go to your local instrument stores and test them out good. Don't let the store clerks and store patrons talk you into buying any guitar during your road test excursions.

A few things you need to look out for when buying used guitars:

- plug it in an amp and make sure all the electronics are working: do all the pickups work (switch the toggle selector in all positions and see if any of them fail to produce sound when you play a chord)? Do you hear radio signal coming through the amp (indicative of faulty pickup installation)? Does the amp cord plug into the guitar's jack in a snug fit without intermittent signal problems (a loose jack can usually be easily repaired/replaced, though)?

- check that all of the tuning pegs work. This is easily repaired, but why buy one that has broken pegs when they should have repaired it for you first

- check the action (distance between the strings and the fretboard. Most people prefer low action (short distance between the strings and the fretboard). High action makes a guitar harder to play, and may be indicative of problems with the neck or the guitar's setup

- if you are buying a guitar with a locking tremolo system, tune the guitar up, play with the whammy bar for a bit and check to see if the strings get out of tune. If they do, that may mean the locking system is faulty

- check the neck for signs of warping. If it appears straight, play with the whammy bar and see if you hear any noise from the release of tension between the neck and the truss rod (the metal stick inside the neck that keeps it straight)

- check the body for any signs of breakage. Do NOT buy a guitar that has significant tear or damage anywhere on its body or neck (even if they have been repaired) if you are buying it to play it. Minor surface scratches are OK, use that to your advantage and bargain the price down

Lastly, my 2 cents on brands... I love Ibanez guitars, but if you do consider buying an Ibanez, try and resist buying the ones with ultra-thin necks. They don't last and eventually end up warping. Get one with a decent thickness on the neck. I bought a JEM about 10 years ago, its neck is nearly twice as thick as the Ibanez Roadstar, which I had at the time, but the JEM is still going strong. I had problems with the Roadstar's neck and ended up getting rid of it.

If you got the $$$, consider buying a guitar with graphite neck - it'll not warp and should last you a lifetime.

As for pickups, I love EMG's active pickups. They are great for both crunchy riffs and nasty sounding leads. The only downside is they use batteries so you need to replace them regularly. EMG also makes passive pickups (no batteries required), but I don't know how good they sound personally.

Well, after posting my original message and reading cheapass Gundam's post, I have to agree with him on his points on why not to get a cheap guitar to start. I was thinking the same thing about how a cheap guitar which probably wouldn't sound that great might turn you away from sticking with playing.

His points on used gear are very good as well so if you plan to buy a used guitar definitely follow his advice.

With brands I think it's just a matter of preference. Go to a place like Guitar Center so you can try as many different guitars as you can and then narrow it down to the one you think sounds, plays, and looks best.

There is always going to be people who prefer one brand over another. Like cheapass Gundam suggested Ibanez but if I had to suggest I would say Carvin. Then there are people who would say Fender or Gibson is the way to go. But like I said previously it's all about what you think is best for you and your playing style.

Anyway, no matter what type of guitar you play the most important thing is just to have fun.

Carvins are great. Since they sell direct from the factory, you have a lot of options as far as customization goes. One of my friends has one and it plays like butter.

lol im gonna start to, around the perfect time for this topic to be made

but i do all things athletic with my right arm but i do tedious stuff with my left arm(like eating and writing). My question is should i learn playing righty or lefty.

If possible, first borrow a guitar from a friend or relative to see if it's something you really want to stick with and learn. No one likes a quitter. And if it isn't for you but you still like the whole "guitar" scene try picking up a bass. I myself prefer basses and it's easier for me to play a bass than a guitar [ basses strings are fatter, frets are bigger, neck is longer, and strings are further away ]. Plus i love the sound of a good solid bass scale.

So if you decided that being a guitarist/bassist is for you, i suggest buying a good guitar/bass [ $300+ price range] rather than a shitty one.

About 4 years ago or so i bought a cheap bass + amp combo [ got both for around 225 | brand is Johnson ]. Now i realize how shitty this combo is. The amp's alright, but the bass is shitty. Fret bars were not all the way in, so it exposed sharp parts that would slice your finger up when you went up and down the neck [ fixed this by putting glue in the exposed spots, this created a smooth surface ]. The bass is heavy cause it's solid, good basses are hollow and cause of that are really light. And the quality of sound could be better.

So it sucks cause i doubt i could get much for this thing [ most likely only under $100 ] and i wished i had bought something better.

Try both and see which way works better for you.

Most people use their left hand for the fretboard and right hand to pluck the strings, myself included. You will need stength in your fingers and forearm for the fingering arm, and strength/endurance in your shoulder/arm joint for your strumming arm, especially if you are gonna be playing a lot of fast riffs.

bread's done
Back