30''+ HDTV's, where to buy?

Vortextk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I'm moving out on my own very soon and right now at the house we have a 32'' vizio. It's 720p(but a question on that later) and it looks very nice. I use it very regularly to watch video files(or sometimes game) from my computer. I also have a wii/360/ps2 hooked up with component cables. 480i/480p/720p depending on the system and what it supports. Very happy with the tv overall. So of course it has to be the first thing I buy when I move out. Furniture can wait, right?

After checking a lot of the more major websites that sell hdtvs - dell, wal-mart, bestbuy, target, amazon - I seem to have found the best overall prices at wal-mart. I can get pretty much the exact same tv for 450$ from them, or one of a couple 37's at 600, which is the top end of my price range. One friend already bought a new tv from them last year, signed up for the credit card(12 months without interest) and recommended that. I'm definitely responsible enough to handle that, as it's the same thing I did with my first credit card. However I'm open to other deals as well and not sure where else to look.

720p should be fine I guess and one question I had on that was I'm SURE the tv we bought was a 32'' 720p set, yet displays "1080p" if I up the resolution setting on my 360. Is it simply saying 1080p even if it maxes out at 720? I mean, it was only 600$ in september 07 so I very much doubt it IS actually full hd. I guess I could find the manual or look up my model number, but I don't understand why the tv itself could even say 1080p if it wasn't possible to actually display up to that resolution.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

I'm looking for another tv myself. I have decided this, my next lcd has to be 120 Hz, 1080p and be at least 42". This is because I want this tv to be the last one I have to purchase for awhile. The 120 Hz thing is supposed to eliminate bluriness in high motion content like action movies. I bought my 32" olevia from K-mart when it was on sale for $550, a good price at the time. It's a good tv but I knew when I bought it that I would get something better in the future.

Here is my advice. Decide how long this tv is supposed to be sufficient.

If you want to get out cheap, Costco has a 32" Proscan for $329.99. It has gotten good reviews from the buyers. Yea, you need a membership but you get 2 cards so you might be able to split the cost with someone in your household. Sam's club may be worth looking at too since they have a college membership for $40 that comes with a $15 gift card. Their tvs are pretty reasonable as well.

bread's done
Back