30 in Widescreen HDTV - $320-$388 shipped, Philips Outlet

dafoomie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_r.../41907ABB9A6F008D00000000828BD472&shop=OUTLET
http://www.electronicsnation.com/en/products/show_product/category/2131

Electronics Nation will pricematch the Philips Outlet (they're an affiliate, or an authorized reseller, or something, and are reputable), and they offer extended warranties for extra cash.

Before you make a major purchase on an HDTV, do your research at:
http://www.avsforum.com/

Here are the pros and cons on the 3 major models usually found at Philips Outlet:

30PW850H: $359
0003784993574_215X215.jpg

Pros:
Fewer problems overall, more likely to get a working unit without any problems
2 component inputs
Has both the 3D comb filter and 'eye fidelity' (480i to 480p upscaling)

Cons:
No HDMI
Can not adjust aspect ratio except on 480i, non widescreen will be stretched.

Avsforum thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=366742&page=1&pp=30

30PW8420: $388
43361EBF325F00D700000000828BD472.jpg

Pros:
HDMI port
3D comb filter

Cons:
Somewhat more prone to certain issues, minor hum, geometry, and broken units
Only 1 component input
No 'eye fidelity' (480i to 480p upscaling)

30PW8402: $320-$350
118246-2212p147-4b.jpg

Pros:
HDMI port
2 component inputs
'Eye fidelity'

Cons:
Least reliable, most prone to problems, such as speaker interference with the screen, geometry, and DOA
No 3D comb filter

Other models:
30PW8520 - Picture in picture, 2 component inputs, no HDMI. Not often available
30PW9xxxD - Built in OTA tuner, but analog signals look like crap, often more expensive.

Don't take my word for it, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY! I will not be responsible if you are unhappy with your purchase, and neither will Philips Outlet. Their return policy on refurbs is 30 days, on site repair, shipping back to them at their expense if required, but no refunds, exchange for identical item only. They will only refund your money if they no longer have your model in stock.

I too bought one just now. Wow...as a cheapass dropping an invisible $360 I feel violated............

Let you know when it gets here though!

I have the dreaded 8402 model it has its quirks(upper left corner has a slight off-color tint due to a speaker interference problem, and I get a slight pulse in the brightness ever once in a while), but looks great with the 360 and my PS DVD player both hooked up through the 2 supplied component inputs. I have my HD DVR box hooked up through the HDMI port the HD channels look great but the regular ones look like crap. I bought this because of the 2 component inputs plus the HDMI port.

I got it with the 4 year warranty from Electronic Nation for $480.00 shipped after they matched the price from the Philips Outlet. I think I would have passed if I would have did my research on it first, but the repair guy is stopping by to take a look at it next week and when I told him the problems I was having he knew right what I was talking about. I have e-mailed the guy at Electronic Nation about the problems I was having and he has been nothing but helpful with everything.

I think I will just live with the quirks for awhile then buy another brand(Sony) and move the Philips into the bedroom and just pickup a straight HD Cable box from Comcast for free to use with it.

[quote name='valor19']Do you mean the Philips? Because that is what the thread is about.

Anyway, word of warning to those buying a Philips for the Xbox 360. Almost all of the Philips CRT HD televisions that support HDMI do not support 1080i via component input. Since the 360 still doesn't support HDMI, this may be a deciding factor to some people.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's what I mean, now how does it look with the 360?

[quote name='pimpinc333']LOL Sorry dude Panasonic isn't a Better brand then Philips.[/QUOTE]

Umm actually it is, panasonic is far ahead in TVs than Phillips, go check out www.avsboard.com read about all the problems with phillips, and how they compare vs panasonics.

[quote name='buya89']Umm actually it is, panasonic is far ahead in TVs than Phillips, go check out www.avsboard.com read about all the problems with phillips, and how they compare vs panasonics.[/QUOTE]

That link goes to some site with ads.

Also, good luck finding a Panasonic CRT as they seem to be slowly getting out of the CRT game.

[quote name='dafoomie']There are better TV's out there than these. These are for people that don't really have the money for an HDTV otherwise. $360 for a 30" widescreen HDTV is unbeatable.

The 8420 is the later version of the 8402. The 8420 has 1 component connector and 1 HDMI connector, the 8402 has 2 component connectors.

On the 8420, there is a hum issue on some TV's. On the 8402, there is an issue where sometimes, the speakers aren't properly shielded and cause disruption on the screen sometimes. Both usually don't happen, but are known issues with these models.

The 8420 has a 3d comb filter, which improves the image of non-HD sources. The 8402 has "Eyefidelity" which takes a 480i signal and converts it to 480p, making it look slightly better.

The 9100D's have their own issues that I don't recall off the top of my head.

I have the older 850H, some people consider it to be nicer, since it has both the 3d comb filter, and eyefidelity, and 2 HD connectors. I like it because its $360, and the other two are $390. Out of stock through the Philips Outlet, but available here from one of their affiliates:
http://www.electronicsnation.com/en/products/flypage/prod_id/30PW850H

Electronicsnation does pricematch the Philips Outlet, and has better support and warranty service overall. Plus, you have the option of buying an extended warranty.

Before purchasing any HDTV, do your research on it at a place like Avs Forum.
http://www.avsforum.com/[/QUOTE]

So in your opinon you like the 850H over the 8420? Even tho the 8420 has HDMI? Could you tell me the importance of HDMI? Mainly for watching TV channels in HD, right? On the 850H, could I still hook up a HD cable box without it having HDMI?

[quote name='controlcommerce']So in your opinon you like the 850H over the 8420? Even tho the 8420 has HDMI? Could you tell me the importance of HDMI? Mainly for watching TV channels in HD, right? On the 850H, could I still hook up a HD cable box without it having HDMI?[/QUOTE]
The HD cable box should have HDMI and component, HDMI isn't required. Some people think its better, but I disagree, I don't think you'd see a difference unless you have some very long, or some very low quality, component cables.

If you'd like HDMI, the 8420 is fine, I only prefer the 850H for minor reasons, beyond that its cheaper, and that I have no use for an HDMI port.

let u guys know at wally world they have a 30 samsung hdtv intergrated tuner built in for 488 bucks not bad of price forgive my spelling

[quote name='4rapier']let u guys know at wally world they have a 30 samsung hdtv intergrated tuner built in for 488 bucks not bad of price forgive my spelling[/QUOTE]

You sure it was not a Sanyo? Since Walmart sells a Sanyo for that price with those features exclusively through Walmart. Plus, my Walmart doesn't sell any Samsung HD televisions at all.

Back to the topic, I don't know if Dafoomie mentioned it (because I'm too lazy to go back through the thread) but there is a 10% off coupon for the philips outlet right now.

10% off code: 10-OUTLET-0206

ooooh the 10% code makes it so tempting.... can anyone tell me what the differences are with the black one that is $522 besides the fact that it has a built in QAM, which i could actually use?

Thanks!

[quote name='4rapier']let u guys know at wally world they have a 30 samsung hdtv intergrated tuner built in for 488 bucks not bad of price forgive my spelling[/QUOTE]

You know that a HD tuner is useless right? Every cable company on earth provides their own proprietary turner.

Since these have been available for almost a year, it's likely that I can get one in May when I can afford it, right? Also, what's the difference between the 30" HDTV monitor and the flat screen that is cheaper?

[quote name='WebScud']You know that a HD tuner is useless right? Every cable company on earth provides their own proprietary turner.[/QUOTE]

Not exactly. Mine doesnt have HD-Buit in and I could get more local HD channels with an HD tuner than my digital cable provider.

[quote name='Matt Young']It is an HDTV, and it's on the same page:

http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_r...00000000828BD472&scenario=catalog&shop=OUTLET[/QUOTE]

That's the one I want to buy. But not from phillips outlet, I want it from electronicsnation.com. Mainly because you can buy a 2 or 4 year warrenty from them. Plus the customer service is great unlike phillips outlet. Read a few posts up (#704), dafoomie and I discuss the 850H TV.

Just take my advice and stay away from the 30PW8402 it has HDMI and 2 sets of component inputs but it seems there are alot more complaints about this model compared to the 2 others(850H and 8420). I have this model and have all the problems that I have read about it happen so far on my set which is only 1 month old.

That's horrible. Yeah, the 8402 wasn't on my interest list. Did you get it from phillips outlet? How long did it take to ship? Are you going to send it back?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Not exactly. Mine doesnt have HD-Buit in and I could get more local HD channels with an HD tuner than my digital cable provider.[/QUOTE]

I'm aware of over-the-air HD. I have just never read one good review of built-in tuners. So in my eyes, they are useless.

[quote name='controlcommerce']That's horrible. Yeah, the 8402 wasn't on my interest list. Did you get it from phillips outlet? How long did it take to ship? Are you going to send it back?[/QUOTE]

No I got it from Electronic Nations with the extra 4 year warranty, and it only took about 8 days to get it. They already came to look at it once and the guy needed to order a part or two for it and he said it should be fixed as good as new so I will wait and see if he fixes the problems. I think I might move this TV to the bedroom anyway and pick up a Sony 30" widescreen that they have at Crutchfield it seems to have got pretty good reviews every were I looked.

Yeah, I did a lot of reseach into that Sony 30". I had my heart set on it until I did my taxes. I was going to use the extra money to buy it but I ended up owing on my taxes. That sucked, now I have to buy one of these cheapy TVs.

[quote name='Corrupt3dM3mory']Could someone that has a Xbox 360 and one of these TVs "PHILIPS 30PW850H" post a picture of a game running on it please...

Thx -[/QUOTE]
I don't have a camera, but I've owned an 850H for a couple years now and picture quality is great.

Picture quality is pretty good on most of these, except the 9110D's. Its the build quality that you have to worry about. The only picture quality related issue would be the geometry, and they'll send out a technician to fix it if you complain about it.

My brother is buying either an 8402 or an 850H in the next couple of weeks, I can let you guys know how that goes when it gets here. The 8402 is down to $347 + 10% off, so $312.30 + tax. I'd rather he pick up the 850H for $324, but its not in stock.

[quote name='dafoomie']I don't have a camera, but I've owned an 850H for a couple years now and picture quality is great.

Picture quality is pretty good on most of these, except the 9110D's. Its the build quality that you have to worry about. The only picture quality related issue would be the geometry, and they'll send out a technician to fix it if you complain about it.

My brother is buying either an 8402 or an 850H in the next couple of weeks, I can let you guys know how that goes when it gets here. The 8402 is down to $347 + 10% off, so $312.30 + tax. I'd rather he pick up the 850H for $324, but its not in stock.[/QUOTE]

Be careful I think the 8402 is only going to be a extra 10% off untill tomorrow.

[quote name='ajh2298']Be careful I think the 8402 is only going to be a extra 10% off untill tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, have to order before tomorrow night.

[quote name='valor19']10% off code: 10-OUTLET-0206[/quote]

Im tempted to pick up the 30PW9110D/37B its got built in tuner and HDMI port. I originally bought the one that was on sale here in the original thread, not sure if it would be much of an upgrade. Its tempting due to the coupon. It expires today right?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Im tempted to pick up the 30PW9110D/37B its got built in tuner and HDMI port. I originally bought the one that was on sale here in the original thread, not sure if it would be much of an upgrade. Its tempting due to the coupon. It expires today right?[/QUOTE]
I would avoid the 9110D. Its picture quality is not so good, and it has absolutely horrible picture quality with analog signals, i.e. any non-HD signal. The only thing a tuner does for you is allow you to watch over the air HDTV with an antenna.

[quote name='dafoomie']I would avoid the 9110D. Its picture quality is not so good, and it has absolutely horrible picture quality with analog signals, i.e. any non-HD signal. The only thing a tuner does for you is allow you to watch over the air HDTV with an antenna.[/quote]

Alrighty then. That settles it, I'll hold off on upgrading. Thanks dafoomie

My brother ended up ordering another 850H from ElectronicsNation. Considering the good experience we had with our 850H, he didn't want to take the chance on a different model.

The advantage of Electronics Nation is that they don't charge sales tax, except in Ohio. It still comes directly from Philips, you're just going through a vendor to get to Philips. Which is fine when the price is identical, they'll go to bat for you if Philips doesn't want to address your problem.

TV arrived, looks good. Everything seems to work correctly and there are no scratches or dents on it. Only problem is that they sent the wrong remote.

-dafoomie
PostsTotal Posts: 4,744 (5.67 posts per day)
Posts killer deals that Eb has, and killer TV deals now, old school CAG and a nice guy to boot.

-Bull_ship
PostsTotal Posts: 344 (0.47 posts per day)
Never posts and when he does, he just talks shit.

Bull_Ship, you just won a magical trip to a land only 6 other people have gone. My ignore list. Thanks for playing.

$300 for a refurb?

You can get a 30' Sanyo HDTV with built in tuner and HDMI from Wal MArt for $478 new.

[quote name='DX']$300 for a refurb?

You can get a 30' Sanyo HDTV with built in tuner and HDMI from Wal MArt for $478 new.[/QUOTE]

Sanyo is crap. IMO

I heard that some of the overscan problems can be fixed by accessing the service menu on the sets. Anyone know the model number of the first Philips that was on sale originally on this post?

[quote name='DX']$300 for a refurb?

You can get a 30' Sanyo HDTV with built in tuner and HDMI from Wal MArt for $478 new.[/QUOTE]
I didn't think that one was widescreen, but 4:3? Sanyos are built like tanks, they don't break. The tuner sucks though, and you probably wouldn't use it anyway.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I heard that some of the overscan problems can be fixed by accessing the service menu on the sets. Anyone know the model number of the first Philips that was on sale originally on this post?[/QUOTE]
30PW850H. I haven't had an overscan or a geometry problem on either of mine, but you can easily access the service menu and change it. I think that problem was more prevalent on some of the other models.

[quote name='dafoomie']I didn't think that one was widescreen, but 4:3? Sanyos are built like tanks, they don't break. The tuner sucks though, and you probably wouldn't use it anyway.

30PW850H. I haven't had an overscan or a geometry problem on either of mine, but you can easily access the service menu and change it. I think that problem was more prevalent on some of the other models.[/QUOTE]

Its 16X9

bread's done
Back