30% Off All Games at Big Lots (Now 50% Off) (Now 75% Off What is Left)

ragtop70

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I didn't see this posted, so I'm doing it.  My local Big Lots in Seymour, IN has red stars stamped on every video game signifying that they are 30% off.  I know that game selection varies, but I don't know if all stores are doing this or not.  I picked up Hitman Absolution XBX for $9.  I know it has been about a dollar cheaper, but that sale is over and the game sold out early anyway.  Some PS3, Xbox 360, 3DS, DS, and Wii games may be found for $7 up to $13.  Some are deals and some are not.

Selection is VERY limited now. Some stores are completely sold out. Most others only have what others have rejected so far, but you may find a diamond in the rough.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not about being poor.... at least then I could understand it, even if I still wouldn't condone it. No, it's about greed, pure and simple. Hoarders are becoming a real problem in my area and it seems on CAG in general. 2 years ago I never missed a B&M sale, and was always able to get a copy of what I wanted. Now, some jobless wonders wait in front of the store before it opens just to clear it out whenever there's a decent sale (prime example being Target's sale on Super Mario HD Land a week ago. I got there an hour after it opened that Sunday and the employee told me El Hoardo had cleared them out right when the store opened, only forgetting to grab the 1 copy in the display case. Of course, every other Target, Best Buy, and Wal-Mart in my area was OoS by the end of the day). Needless to say I've missed out on tons of sales lately thanks to El Hoardo, including deals I've specifically waited for like the new Tomb Raider. At this point, it's not even worth a trip to any store with a decent sale unless I can get somebody to hold a copy of w/e for me the day before the sale starts.

I will never understand the lengths El Hoardo will go to to flip a game for, what, MAYBE $10 on ebay or w/e? I swear, it seems like half the people that are on this site now would yank the candy right out of a babies mouth if they could flip it for a nickel :whistle2:? It really does get frustrating too, missing out on stuff and knowing it all went to one guy...... :whistle2:(
There are a few factors here

No Circuit city, sales, most Sears have stopped carrying a decent selection of games and Kmart has almost stopped carrying games here except for value games which will probably remain at the stickered price forever. My point here is that the major sources of sales or clearance have dried up. When there is a good sale its extremely rare and people jump on it more often because now there are less opportunities for sales.

Most stores stock limited quantities of sale items on purpose, they don't want too much selling for too low of a price. This would cause the store to lose money. But by putting an item like that on sale they put it on sale to get people into the store, hopefully while they are in the store they will buy other things.

Reselling on ebay is pointless for a $10 off retail price item (for example), by the time you put forth the effort you are paying more in fees and shipping costs then its worth it for $10 of profit plus your time and gas money to drive around and get the deals. Your profit margin has to be a certain amount in order for it to become worth the effort and actually be profitable. It would have to be $20 or more in clear profit after all costs for me to bother. Needless to say I might get 1-2 deals at retail every 5 years that actually become profitable for me... aka it doesn't happen very often.

I am guessing these hoarders have other sources to sell things, they probably own a fleamarket booth or an independent store where they are selling these things because its just not profitable to sell them online. Especially if you see a true hoarder, aka someone who cleans the shelf of all clearance items at any price. If you have a fleamarket around you then it would make sense that there are more hoarders around your area. Or if you have a lot of independent game stores in your area, chances are most of the stock is ending up at those stores. Even if you don't see the hoarder behind the counter, they might have someone going to all the stores in town buying for them. I am probably going to run into this soon since the local independent video game chain just had to set up a store in my town.

Did you get RE Archives? Also did you see any Mario or Sonic games? I probably might roll over to Culver City tomorrow.
I did not grab the RE. I know someone mentioned wanting a copy, but that was a while ago and I don't know if he got one.

Didn't see anything Mario or Sonic. Not much for Nintendo systems, except the aforementioned fat stacks of that cube ninja game and Splinter Cell 3DS.

The rumor is prices go down to 75% off starting Sunday, so you may want to delay your trip a day. Then again, if you're super certain you want the last/only RE Archives, best to get there sooner than later.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Touching on the hoarding topic, I admit I was guilty of it once or twice. Back when Overstock had a GIANT game sale, I ordered a crap-ton of games, including doubles. It was mostly for GameRush's awesome trade-in deals. That was dickish of me. Also, I went a little nuts on some of the Circuit City $5 clearances. Getting deals on games is a meta-game itself, and one that can become addicting.

Now, I'm very careful with what I buy. Unless it's a total steal for a game on my wishlist, I almost always pass. And if I've got games a few deep from the same genre - like JRPGs or fighting games - I may just wait until I've gone through those backlogs.

Oh pueehhhlleeaaaseee, can we all stop acting like people on this site actually play video games? Everyone knows this site is just about bragging about how you got a good deal on a 12 copies of a game, and if you bitch about not finding it you are just butt hurt that you can't add a game to your backlog.

in all honesty, hoarding is a serious illness (don't argue with me I am a mental health professional lol), and it ties in with what ViolentLee said about finding a deal can be addicting in its own right aside from hoarding material stuff. the nature of this site does not necessarily help the culture of the elusive "El Hoardo" and flippers and the like. Sure, there may be an influx of that crowd here as of late (see SaraAB post for a great explanation of why), but ya know what? there are also plenty of swell people here that help others out by picking up a deal for them!

Don't be mad because you missed out on a deal. It happens more often than you probably acquire a deal, and even more than how many games you play that you got a deal on. worst case scenario, reach out in the thread and ask if someone can find a game you are looking for, its the only way to deal with the influx of "hoarders"/people whom exploit gaming culture for pure financial gains.

It really is an addiction, because after missing maybe 10 deals, you get 1 really good one and that keeps you going. Eh, it's better than drugs I guess?

Did you get RE Archives? Also did you see any Mario or Sonic games? I probably might roll over to Culver City tomorrow.
I'm gonna hit Culver City possibly on Tuesday. I have to do some work at the Fox Hills mall. Is Big Lots near there?

I'm looking to get Wind Walker. (I think it was from Big Lots). If not I won't bother going.

I'm gonna hit Culver City possibly on Tuesday. I have to do some work at the Fox Hills mall. Is Big Lots near there?
I'm looking to get Wind Walker. (I think it was from Big Lots). If not I won't bother going.
It's very close to Fox Hills. Big Lots has never and will never have Wind Waker, though. It's a closeout store, as in mostly merchandise that didn't sell elsewhere and they bought it up. So they only carry "clearance" games. While there are MK Kompletes and Mass Effect 3, it's mostly Cabella Hunting and Warhammer: Space Marine type of inventory.

It's very close to Fox Hills. Big Lots has never and will never have Wind Waker, though. It's a closeout store, as in mostly merchandise that didn't sell elsewhere and they bought it up. So they only carry "clearance" games. While there are MK Kompletes and Mass Effect 3, it's mostly Cabella Hunting and Warhammer: Space Marine type of inventory.
Meh. I won't bother then.

I stopped by the West LA Big Lots the other day, and found zero games. They're putting in an aisle of refrigerator units, though, for chilled food. Interesting.

About damn time. Hopefully all Big Lots will eventually start adding frozen/cold stuff and just isn't that particular store.
They had freezers at the Seymour, IN store a few years ago. At that time, they marked down all the frozen stuff, like they're doing video games now, sold everything, and took out the freezers. I bought pounds of frozen spinach and boxes of blue raspberry popsicles for ten cents each.

I did not grab the RE. I know someone mentioned wanting a copy, but that was a while ago and I don't know if he got one.
Didn't see anything Mario or Sonic. Not much for Nintendo systems, except the aforementioned fat stacks of that cube ninja game and Splinter Cell 3DS.
The rumor is prices go down to 75% off starting Sunday, so you may want to delay your trip a day. Then again, if you're super certain you want the last/only RE Archives, best to get there sooner than later.

Thanks man, I'll reschedule to tomorrow then. Do you also remember any notable Xbox360 games like Mortal Kombat vs DC, Ace Combat, or Anarchy Reigns?

Culver City has a few good games - 1 each Saints Row 3, RE Archives Wii and Hitman 360. There was a Skylancers starter kit but not sure for what system - a Nintendo one, I think. Also literally dozens of that Cubix Ninja or whatever and Splinter Cell 3DS. I inspired a dude to grab the one Mass Effect 3. He also got a Left 4 Dead. Meanwhile, I got about 6 bags of wasabi edamame, a 4-pack of Dial bar soap, and some Ghirardelli brownie mix to make my wife some Valentine's sweets.

I stopped by the West LA Big Lots the other day, and found zero games. They're putting in an aisle of refrigerator units, though, for chilled food. Interesting.
No kidding? The West LA location is the one I posted a picture of a week or so ago that was unbelievably stocked. I'm surprised it completely sold out. I was planning on hitting that one first on Sunday during the next drop.

I know at least one of the locations NY work in North Hollywood still had a couple games left I would pick up for 75% off. Might try the Culver City one if I'm in the area.

So most likely tomorrow big lots is selling all video games for 75% off
That's what we're hoping for. I'm going to send them an email/call about getting a price adjustment. Well I do have a game to return tomorrow so maybe I'll just inquire then about the price adjustment. I highly doubt they restocked any games though.

I have literately bought games at Kmart way back when and then walked over to GS, traded them in and made a profit. So yes I am guilty of hoarding as well. BUT if I didn't buy those games it's likely they would have gone out of the system, then no one would have gotten them and they would have either sat on the shelf forever or the store would have sent them to the back room or destroy them. Another hoarder might have also picked them up. There was also plenty of time for someone else to get them if they really wanted to. So I am not sure what is better in this case. I doubt I would ever see this situation again here.

True hoarding is when someone wipes a store clean of all clearance, or buys every single copy of a clearance game in a store, even if there are 15+ copies. This I have not seen, probably because clearance in my area is so pathetic.

I will admit I hoard sometime but usually only if it a game I know will be hard to find later down the road and even then i will only get like 2 copies, I will get one to play and enjoy and one to keep sealed and collect since I collect gaming stuff and it usually pay off I mean I even have copies of conker reloaded and call of cthulhu on xbox as well as super Nintendo and n64 games still factory sealed lol im usually like one game for me to play one to collect lol

Thanks man, I'll reschedule to tomorrow then. Do you also remember any notable Xbox360 games like Mortal Kombat vs DC, Ace Combat, or Anarchy Reigns?
Saints Row 3, Hitman, Crackdown 2, Space Marine and UFC 3 come to mind as decent games there. I only saw one of each, though.

They had freezers at the Seymour, IN store a few years ago. At that time, they marked down all the frozen stuff, like they're doing video games now, sold everything, and took out the freezers. I bought pounds of frozen spinach and boxes of blue raspberry popsicles for ten cents each.
That's what I'm talking about! I put frozen spinach in my protein shakes every day, so getting a good deal on that would be great - not that $1.50 a bag at Ralph's is extravagant.
Target has some vegan frozen burritos I could see showing up at Big Lots that I'd definitely snatch up at a discount.

No kidding? The West LA location is the one I posted a picture of a week or so ago that was unbelievably stocked. I'm surprised it completely sold out. I was planning on hitting that one first on Sunday during the next drop.

I know at least one of the locations NY work in North Hollywood still had a couple games left I would pick up for 75% off. Might try the Culver City one if I'm in the area.
West LA as in the Sepulveda/National store? Unless I missed something, they were cleaned out. I went to the glass case, nothing but maybe some Wii controller bundle junk. No near-register racks.

West LA as in the Sepulveda/National store? Unless I missed something, they were cleaned out. I went to the glass case, nothing but maybe some Wii controller bundle junk. No near-register racks.
Yeah, that was the one. About two weeks ago it looked like this plus a handful of things like 3DS Skylanders, that Wii shooting game and Xbox Wheel controllers in the glass case.

The third Big Lots I went to had the best display (the others just had a little bucket with games) and the biggest selection. Sadly, they didn't have anything I was interested in. Can't find that Spirit Tracks!

ULaRuDx.jpg

^^ I remember seeing that and thinking: I'd at least pick up Sonic Colors and Battlefield 3 for a good price.

And that also reminds me: Sky Ray, I also saw the Midway Arcade compilation and an Army of 2-2.

Finally got an account up and running after lurking for the past week or so.
Grabbed a couple games at the novi michigan store and they had plenty of stuff left.
Multiples of resident evil, halo 3, the gta liberty city set, binary domain and the mahjong cub3d game. Since I don't own anything but a ds I didn't really know what to look for, but it still seemed fairly well stocked.
Howell michigan, pretty much empty except cubix ninja and the 3ds Tom Clancy game

Hoping for 75% of tomorrow. Few I'd pick up for that.

Other than someone checking in person, would anyone have an inside scoop in the morning on it going live?

Went to BL last week, and picked up Arkham City GOTY for less than $10. Was a great feeling.

Hoping for 75% of tomorrow. Few I'd pick up for that.

Other than someone checking in person, would anyone have an inside scoop in the morning on it going live?
Anyone know why Big Lots is having such a fire sale on video games? Do they not want to carry them anymore? lol. Definitely hitting them up tomorrow if the 75% thing is for sure nationwide.

Any East Coasters planning on heading out in the morning to find out?  I'd definitely bite on some of these at 75% off.

I'll be at Culver City tomorrow and I might check up the West LA one too if I can jam it in. Hopefully all of us run into each other, it will be an unofficial 1st SoCal CAG meeting! :cool:

Saints Row 3, Hitman, Crackdown 2, Space Marine and UFC 3 come to mind as decent games there. I only saw one of each, though.
^^ I remember seeing that and thinking: I'd at least pick up Sonic Colors and Battlefield 3 for a good price.

And that also reminds me: Sky Ray, I also saw the Midway Arcade compilation and an Army of 2-2.
I don't need those two, but thanks again!

Assuming I don't sleep in tomorrow, I plan on being at a Big Lots at 9 AM CST when they open (that's 10 AM east coast, 7 AM west coast). I'll post for sure if they have them at 75% off or not. Even if the signs aren't posted, I'll ask if they could ring up one of the games for me.

I believe someone towards the beginning of the thread posted they work for Big Lots, but whether they even have a shift at closing tonight or open tomorrow and know about actually doing the new signs, I doubt we'll know for sure until someone checks.

Anyone know why Big Lots is having such a fire sale on video games? Do they not want to carry them anymore? lol. Definitely hitting them up tomorrow if the 75% thing is for sure nationwide.
Yep, a few employees and managers at various Big Lots have said they're not going to carry them anymore. Probably just not enough profit to be made or their turnover rate is too slow. *shrug* Who knows.

Went to two stores when they opened and still only 50% and manager confirmed 50% only to he was confused what I was talking about and we scanned several games to make sure

Same here, still the same 50% off. However, I did see signage for a 2 Day President's Sale on some items - the sale is Sunday to Monday of this week. I feel like it would be reasonable to expect a mass sign change on Monday night, so that 75% off sign could be going up Tuesday, unless that particular Big Lots really messed up in the first place.

I did go ahead and buy Mahjong Cub3d and Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars since the pickings were getting slimmer. I'm going to keep them sealed with their receipt for when the price change happens. Between this past Wednesday evening and this morning, both Pokemon Ranger and Professor Layton went out the door. No major losses to me, but I would've gotten them at the 75% off.

Same here, still the same 50% off. However, I did see signage for a 2 Day President's Sale on some items - the sale is Sunday to Monday of this week. I feel like it would be reasonable to expect a mass sign change on Monday night, so that 75% off sign could be going up Tuesday, unless that particular Big Lots really messed up in the first place.

I did go ahead and buy Mahjong Cub3d and Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars since the pickings were getting slimmer. I'm going to keep them sealed with their receipt for when the price change happens. Between this past Wednesday evening and this morning, both Pokemon Ranger and Professor Layton went out the door. No major losses to me, but I would've gotten them at the 75% off.
I was thinking the same thing about Tuesday. I saw the current ad only runs Sunday and Monday. Do you think Big Lots might just need to send a system update to their register? I remember B1G1 sales at Blockbuster Video not working right away in the morning. Then later on in the day, the registers would automatically ring up the B1G1 sale with no override or barcode to scan. Anyone ever had this happen to them at Big Lots?

I was wondering if Mahjong Cub3d was worth it at 50%. I probably should have bought that one, but I don't know much about it.

Is Big Lots good at pricematching their red tag clearance drops? I've never tried it before. I guess I need to find my old receipts just in case.

Went to two stores when they opened and still only 50% and manager confirmed 50% only to he was confused what I was talking about and we scanned several games to make sure

I just feel bad and want to say sorry. I swear on my immortal soul that the mathematically challenged manager said the 75% off sign wasn't supposed to go up until Sunday. I swear to God I wasn't just trying to troll people to wake up early on Sunday. I was just telling that crazy story of bad math skills. Hopefully the 75% comes soon or that store really did royally fuck up by having that sign displayed.

Assuming I don't sleep in tomorrow, I plan on being at a Big Lots at 9 AM CST when they open (that's 10 AM east coast, 7 AM west coast). I'll post for sure if they have them at 75% off or not. Even if the signs aren't posted, I'll ask if they could ring up one of the games for me.

I believe someone towards the beginning of the thread posted they work for Big Lots, but whether they even have a shift at closing tonight or open tomorrow and know about actually doing the new signs, I doubt we'll know for sure until someone checks.

Yep, a few employees and managers at various Big Lots have said they're not going to carry them anymore. Probably just not enough profit to be made or their turnover rate is too slow. *shrug* Who knows.
They're probably a comparatively low profit margin item with high shrink numbers. Thus, unless you get a stupidly great closeout from someone, it's probably not worth all the hassles dealing with them adds.

I was thinking the same thing about Tuesday. I saw the current ad only runs Sunday and Monday. Do you think Big Lots might just need to send a system update to their register? I remember B1G1 sales at Blockbuster Video not working right away in the morning. Then later on in the day, the registers would automatically ring up the B1G1 sale with no override or barcode to scan. Anyone ever had this happen to them at Big Lots?

I was wondering if Mahjong Cub3d was worth it at 50%. I probably should have bought that one, but I don't know much about it.

Is Big Lots good at pricematching their red tag clearance drops? I've never tried it before. I guess I need to find my old receipts just in case.
I suppose that could be a possibility, but I feel like the staff at the store would have the signs changed over if the 75% off Red Star items was actually in effect, as those items are scattered across the store (and not just on video games). Would be a pretty big error on Big Lots' staff to not change over the promotion signs when it happens.

To me, Mahjong Cub3d is worth it at $2.50. Do you like to play Mahjong? It doesn't really add anything, although there is a 3D mode that you spin around to make matches instead of just the flat tiles. I bought that and Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars just to hold onto. I have until March 18th (I think thats what the receipt said) to return them. If they don't go to 75% by then, I return them and go about my day. If they do, I'll return and rebuy them. They're still sealed, same as I bought them, and I'll still have the receipt, so shouldn't be any issues there. I don't normally do this sort of thing. That's also why I won't be returning and rebuying Shinobi (which I got for $5 originally) and LoZ: Spirit Tracks (which I got for $7.50), as those games are worth it to me for those prices. The other two...eh.

I don't really think they price match anything, but returning a sealed game and then rebuying it really shouldn't be an issue unless you get a bad customer service experience.

I just feel bad and want to say sorry. I swear on my immortal soul that the mathematically challenged manager said the 75% off sign wasn't supposed to go up until Sunday. I swear to God I wasn't just trying to troll people to wake up early on Sunday. I was just telling that crazy story of bad math skills. Hopefully the 75% comes soon or that store really did royally fuck up by having that sign displayed.
They could have easily gotten dates mixed up or been mis-informed. I just appreciate the idea that a 75% drop is coming in the near future. No worries. I went there thinking there was about a 20% chance of the promotion changing over. We knew it wasn't concrete and wouldn't know until someone checked for sure.

I suppose that could be a possibility, but I feel like the staff at the store would have the signs changed over if the 75% off Red Star items was actually in effect, as those items are scattered across the store (and not just on video games). Would be a pretty big error on Big Lots' staff to not change over the promotion signs when it happens.

To me, Mahjong Cub3d is worth it at $2.50. Do you like to play Mahjong? It doesn't really add anything, although there is a 3D mode that you spin around to make matches instead of just the flat tiles. I bought that and Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars just to hold onto. I have until March 18th (I think thats what the receipt said) to return them. If they don't go to 75% by then, I return them and go about my day. If they do, I'll return and rebuy them. They're still sealed, same as I bought them, and I'll still have the receipt, so shouldn't be any issues there. I don't normally do this sort of thing. That's also why I won't be returning and rebuying Shinobi (which I got for $5 originally) and LoZ: Spirit Tracks (which I got for $7.50), as those games are worth it to me for those prices. The other two...eh.

I don't really think they price match anything, but returning a sealed game and then rebuying it really shouldn't be an issue unless you get a bad customer service experience.

They could have easily gotten dates mixed up or been mis-informed. I just appreciate the idea that a 75% drop is coming in the near future. No worries. I went there thinking there was about a 20% chance of the promotion changing over. We knew it wasn't concrete and wouldn't know until someone checked for sure.
That makes sense. I've never played Mahjong, but for $2.50 I'd buy just about anything... even Michael Phelps, Minute to Win It, and Puss in Boots.

I will have your head, SonictheHedgehog1337
I'd give you head if I could.

...wait, that doesn't sound right. I'm not much of a morning person, I think I need to go back to sleep for a couple hours. I didn't fall asleep until 6am.

I bought some games at 75% off and got them price adjusted with the receipt only when they went down to 50%.

You probably don't even need the receipt if you used the rewards card or a debit/credit card.

But yeah, return/rebuy is a sure thing.

That makes sense. I've never played Mahjong, but for $2.50 I'd buy just about anything... even Michael Phelps, Minute to Win It, and Puss in Boots.

I'd give you head if I could.

...wait, that doesn't sound right. I'm not much of a morning person, I think I need to go back to sleep for a couple hours. I didn't fall asleep until 6am.
lol. That was funny. Maybe the 75% will hit on Tuesday since they are having a 2 day sale.

I bought some games at 75% off and got them price adjusted with the receipt only when they went down to 50%.

You probably don't even need the receipt if you used the rewards card or a debit/credit card.

But yeah, return/rebuy is a sure thing.
do you mean 25% instead of 75%? otherwise I think you overpaid a little if you adjusted to a higher price lol

Lol no problem. My big Lots has hardly anything left anyway but I will keep a watchful eye on this should it materialize. Hoping for residentb evil archives at 75% off

Some stores don't put up ads until after close on Sundays, so that could have been the manager "misspeaking". We might want to check come tomorrow. And if not tomorrow, I'd say the last day to see something would be Wednesday. (Gamestop does Tuesday night price changes, but I have no idea how many [if any] other stores do.)

Picked up Yakuza Dead Souls for $9.44 (after the 50% off) and Rayman 3D for 3DS for $5.  Not bad. This one didn't have any signs posted at their store.  Fingers crossed that it drops to 75% so that I can clean it up for a few others.

Sad to see no 75% but I still grabbed Shinobi and James Noir for $5 each (for $5 I'm willing and it also means I can return the $10 target copy of Shinobi I bought so really I paid the same, got a 2nd game for the trouble).

Picked up Yakuza Dead Souls for $9.44 (after the 50% off) and Rayman 3D for 3DS for $5. Not bad. This one didn't have any signs posted at their store. Fingers crossed that it drops to 75% so that I can clean it up for a few others.
That's odd. I got Yakuza Dead Souls at my Big Lots for $5 on 1/29/2014. Looking at receipt right now. It just says HV GAMING CASES RATED M where the game name would be, though.

That's odd. I got Yakuza Dead Souls at my Big Lots for $5 on 1/29/2014. Looking at receipt right now. It just says HV GAMING CASES RATED M where the game name would be, though.
It because the regular pricing on some games varies from location to location I want in one store and seen dream cast collection $18.88 while another had it for normally $10

I braved the snow storm today to go and check, it was still 50% in the 412 as well. Had a talk with an employee, told me to call tomorrow morning as she knew "it was going to happen soon". also told me that the ads don't come out on the same day of the week consistently, but if I had an Big Lots card/email sign up that I would get notification of when the ad is out before it is printed

just hoping to grab a few games at this point for friends, not much I want for myself (maybe left 4 dead and hitman on PS3)

bread's done
Back