30 x 40 Poster Frame

BrolyB593

CAGiversary!
Feedback
206 (100%)
A few weeks back I won a contest posted on CAG through NerdiestKids where you could win a $100 30x40 Vintage Marvel Reprint. I was lucky enough to have won, but now am faced with quite a dilemma.

The poster looks AWESOME, but there is nothing to hang it up with. A $100 print should not be just taped up, I wanted to put it in some sort of frame, but 30x40 is a very uncommon frame size. I looked everywhere and have not been able to find one. The closest I have found is a 27x40.

At Micheal's and Hobby Lobby, custom framing is insanely expensive, bringing the frame in all to $100+

But yeah, does anyone know how I can obtain a basic 30x40 frame? I do not want anything ornate, just a basic black frame to look like it is a panel or something from a comic, nothing fancy.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

This is going to take some work, but if you go into stores like Marshalls, I have found that they have reduced priced paintings with decent frames. You certainly won't have to pay $100.

Also if you have an Ikea around sometimes they have frames for cheap or like the guy said above frames with pictures in them that you can put your own in on top. I have done this with their frames before.

Or check goodwill or tag sales for used/donated frames. of course something that size wont be easy to find but its worth a shot to save some $

I work as the custom framing supervisor at AC Moore, a Michael's Competitor, and yes, Custom Framing is ridiculously expensive.

What I would try to do is shop around for sectional frames; Metal frame pieces sold in pairs. You could try to find a 30" and 40" piece, join them (quite easy with a screwdriver), get a piece of foamcore backing (usually 8 bucks) and glass (If you're not looking for any fancy glass, try a hardware store), and then fit it yourself.
40" is the largest standard size for most framing materials, so Michaels and Hoppy Lobby should have them. Also, Michaels runs 40% off coupons a lot on their website good for any non-sale item, so a few of those will save you even more money.

Will take some time, but should end up costing you around 40 bucks instead of 100+.

try KMart and Wal Mart or target
they have those black poster frames that are thin and cheap
could use that till you find a better one

you can usually find them near the posters

Thank you all for the tips With all of these suggestion it should just be a small matter of time before this awesome image is finally framed!

You can also get the poster matted, which will increase its size and make it fit into a more standard frame.

In my experience, Michael's often runs sales on custom framing, it's often 50 or 60% off any custom framing order, so it really makes custom framing a viable option. I've saved literally hundreds and hundreds of dollars by using these sales. You could just hang onto the poster and keep an eye out for those sales, they seem to come up every 2-3 months.

If you really want it to look nice, custom framing is the ONLY way to go. Also a lot of the cheap off-the-shelf frames don't have things like UV glass which will protect the print from fading.

I've had good experiences with framesbymail.com
you could get an inexpensive metal frame for $25+ shipping, but extras like plexiglass and acid-free backing will quickly raise that

bread's done
Back