30 years old and still living at home with your mom?

[quote name='DP2']I think too many of you are full of crap. Maybe you had something to prove, didn't like it at home, or are stupid enough to accept poor housing and an inability to cover bills when you have a choice. If you have a job and can cover your personal bills plus contribute to the household then there's nothing wrong with that. The parents will appreciate the money more than some landlord. It's never that cut and dry saying it costs more for them or you're not doing enough. How can you know? Oh and tell me what happens when the gov't you leech off of has no money? The economy sucks for people of this age group. You can't act like jobs and homes are easy to come by. Yes a lot depends on your relationship with your parents. Some would move out before 18 if they could. Those who do are simply jealous of those who have good relationships. Putting on a 'tough act' is laughable. If you truly want a family of your own then a separate place is necessary. But not all of us care for that, I know I personally don't.[/QUOTE]
I agree. I've noticed that this is a very American sentiment that stems from rugged individualism and the self-made man myth. In many Asian cultures, parents insist and want that their children to live with them as well as get super pissed if they want to move out(I know this point was brought up earlier in the thread). But people also need to understand that this had been a growing trend for at least the last ten years as the employment environment has been getting progressively worse for the last 30 years especially for those at the bottom.

Seriously though, if you meet a woman and she asks where you live, does it feel good, at 30, to say, "With my mom." That's all kinds of lame.

Mates look for other mates who can stand on their own and show that they are responsible. If someone still has to rely on their parents at such an age for basic survival it doesn't exactly instill confidence in a potential partner. If any of you are still single and are living at home and 30 that might explain some stuff right there.

So I was speaking to a friend about this the other day and she had to say:
"Used to be I wouldn't date a guy that had a crappy car or a dingy apartment. Now my standard is employed and at least able to move out if he still lives with his parents."

I didn't want to point out the irony that she lived at home until her late 20's and only left because her alimony/child support demanded that she not live with her parents anymore.

Different situations call for different expectations and/or different results. If you want to live at home until your whatever age - fine, do it. But it could come at a cost whether it be sexual, emotional, mental, financial, etc. I lived at home to better myself financially but also to help my mother out. I did all the renovations to her house so she wouldn't have to spend a ton of $$$ hiring out contractors. It worked out for both of us and once the work was done I moved out. I've never been a fan of living paycheck to paycheck, but that's just how life goes sometimes. You suck it up and you deal. You play the hand you're dealt until you can put yourself in a better situation.

I'm 26 and currently work as an engineer. I don't live at home and don't see myself moving back home again unless some bad stuff went down - losing job, or something. Even then, most likely the girlfriend and I would just move in together, maybe get married, etc. I plan on going back to grad school in about a year (hopefully full time) and at that point plan on most likely moving in with the girlfriend anyways, because it will be to difficult to work part time and pay for rent, housing, etc.

I have some friends who still live at home and they are the stereotypical nerds. They are my friends but they bellow at their parents for stuff, still get money for food, etc. while they work their crappy little jobs.

Even my sister still lives at home and she is 31. She has a very good job and makes a good amount more money than me, but she blows it all so she is always behind on bills and everything else.

At this point, I don't think I could move in with my parents again. It would be very difficult to go back to their house - their rules. Not that my parents were extremely strict, but I don't want to deal with being told to pick up my room, or any of that. It was difficult enough after I moved back home after college for a little bit. Hopefully soon that girlfriend and I will just move in. That will save some money since it isn't much more for an apartment for one than it is for two.

I'm 21, still live at home, attend USF (graduate in the spring), and I have had my job since I was 16. As soon as I get a real job I'll move out, but until then I have no problem living with my mom. I pay rent, cell phone, insurance etc...

I don't see the point in moving out as soon as you are 18 and living in crappy conditions. If you think that makes you a better person, more power to you.

I moved back home after I graduated in the early 90s. Lived there in the summer while I worked retail until I found a job in my field. Saved some $$ than moved out for good by fall. Nothing wrong with it unless as someone said, you aren't trying to better yourself. I know I would rather my kids move out with some $$ in the bank instead of trying to "prove" how grown up they are.

**grumpy old man voice** You kids think you are the first to graduate in a recession?

[quote name='slickkill77']I'm 21, still live at home, attend USF (graduate in the spring), and I have had my job since I was 16. As soon as I get a real job I'll move out, but until then I have no problem living with my mom. I pay rent, cell phone, insurance etc...

I don't see the point in moving out as soon as you are 18 and living in crappy conditions. If you think that makes you a better person, more power to you.[/QUOTE]
It's tough leaving home for some people especially since you've spent most of your life there, unless ur planning to move 5 miles away then idk, but some people have to leave home for a better opportunity, especially folks who live in a filthy ghetto slum (Da Hopeless Bronx)

[quote name='exaznkid']It's tough leaving home for some people especially since you've spent most of your life there, *snip*[/QUOTE]

I'm having trouble adjusting myself after buying this house. I'm so used to living with my parents for so long. I'm going back to my parents house and having my Dad stay with me. I also hate cooking lol. + the added stress of finding a job makes me paranoid.

I longed to be at home after I left. When I was 19 I went to stay at a college dorm only a few hours south from where my parents lived. It was a nice launching pad to become more independant and home was always close by. I was going home every week for the first few months, but after a while I was making that trip less and less. All thanks to friends, parties and most of all girls. Ahhhh to be young again, all I did was play video games, drink, and screw.

I honestly cannot believe that so many people are 'against' living at home. It's not like you want to mooch off of your parents, but sometimes you don't have many options. And for 99% of people, they're parents are HAPPY to help and have them around. Hell, I moved out when I was 16 with my grandma, and back in when I was 18 before college, and my dad was glad to have me back. Hell, I told him I was moving to New York after college and he nearly had a heart attack. He thought I was going to live at home for a while to save up some money.

If you're in a tough situation, there's nothing wrong with living at home. Your parents are glad to have you there, and you can help each other out mutually. You lived with them for a majority of your life, and whether they admit it or not, they will miss you when you move out.

^ I don't think many people have stated they are "against" it, but rather they "prefer" not living with their folks.

I can understand being in tough situation and having to stay at home. But there's a time when it starts to get sad and all the justification in the world isn't going to trump being a lazy slob with no ambition.

[quote name='Kendro']I'm 30 and still live with my parents but not due to financial reasons because I have a comfortable paying job. I'm out of the house from 7AM to 8PM since I'm at the office during the day and go to the gym at night so I only see them an hour or two before they go to bed.

I'm pretty much set when it comes to savings and can comfortably live on my own but I help my parents out by paying rent and covering the phone and cable bills. My room is nothing more than a place to sleep.

They plan on selling the house and moving to a small apartment since they don't need all this space so I hope to be on my own within the year. Not sure if this is a cop out but I know they are definitely making use of the extra income I give them (and enjoying the cable to boot).

My girlfriend doesn't mind because she's old fashioned and wants me to help them out financially. Plus she knows I am saving a ton of money which will eventually go to a down payment on a house. But yeah, I'm definitely itching to get out soon. I'd gladly take the savings hit in order to get a place of my own.[/QUOTE]

Giving this a healthy bump since I just had a talk with my parents about moving out. Ironically my mom understood my need to move out while my dad tried to convince me to stay.

Anyways I'm a little confused with how much should go towards rent. They say you should make 40 times your rent. So if my rent is $1000 (just using a nice round number), I should make at least $40,000 a year before taxes or after (which would mean roughly $57,000 a year)?

Would 1/4 of my monthly income after taxes be sufficient or is this rather small compared to what other people pay? I asked one of my colleagues and he spends nearly 1/2 his monthly income on rent which I feel is high.

[quote name='Kendro']
Would 1/4 of my monthly income after taxes be sufficient or is this rather small compared to what other people pay? I asked one of my colleagues and he spends nearly 1/2 his monthly income on rent which I feel is high.[/QUOTE]

The number is going to vary depending on your debt load, but I would shoot for no more than 30%. There is no way I would spend half of my income on my rent/mortgage alone...

[quote name='Kendro']
Would 1/4 of my monthly income after taxes be sufficient or is this rather small compared to what other people pay? I asked one of my colleagues and he spends nearly 1/2 his monthly income on rent which I feel is high.[/QUOTE]

1/2 of my net income goes to the mortgage; the remaining 1/2 goes to groceries, gas, and utilities. This makes it difficult to save money for other essentials such as clothing, car/home maintenance, etc.

Keeping your rent down to 1/4 of your net income is the best option; just don't go more than 1/3 of your net income. It is also best if you base your budget on just one income instead of two, in case you or your significant other becomes unemployed.

Don't know if its been said (probably), but it depends on situation. If you get real down on your luck after living on your own, then it is perfectly acceptable. However, if you live with your parents from age 0 to 30+ without ever really moving out then you are 99% likely to be a loser of some sort.

Even trying to figure things out/saving/whatever shouldn't take you until you're 30+.

bread's done
Back