30GB Zune on clearance for $94.98 at Target

[quote name='UnderwaterMadman']damn, damn, damn.

I need one and don't have a target![/quote]

Same here man. I been needing a Mp3 player since I been in school. That would have been a great price for me.

A Target next to me had a bunch of them, but they were $134. I hope they drop soon. I love that brown color.

If anyone sees a black zune 30, my girlfriend is looking for a new one, and at that price I'm sure I'd score some points.

Edit :: Just going to bite at 134.. she wants it now.

Someone in the Target clearance thread implied that this Zune (version 1, I suppose) is quite inferior to the 2nd one and as such he suggested to return it despite the price. Anyone know what the key differences are? All I can tell are the controls look different.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Someone in the Target clearance thread implied that this Zune (version 1, I suppose) is quite inferior to the 2nd one and as such he suggested to return it despite the price. Anyone know what the key differences are? All I can tell are the controls look different.[/quote]

Ummmm, what? You can't really compare them against each other considering the one on sale is the first generation zune and the one you are saying is superior is the second generation. That right there already implies inferiority, but I don't see how that would matter. The zune is a quality product whether you go with the old 1.0 version or the new 2.0 version, and at that price-a damn good deal.

As per usual, a retailer is just trying to get you to spend more money because of key words thrown in. It's not necessarily inferior as a music player, nor even feature wise really-it's just the 2.0 is more robust and cleaner because it's newer, that's all really. I have both and both are quality.

[quote name='munch']A Target next to me had a bunch of them, but they were $134. I hope they drop soon. I love that brown color.[/quote]

You can get the brown one from newegg.com for $100...

It was $100 on newegg.com, now they don't have it listed anymore.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Someone in the Target clearance thread implied that this Zune (version 1, I suppose) is quite inferior to the 2nd one and as such he suggested to return it despite the price. Anyone know what the key differences are? All I can tell are the controls look different.[/quote]

It isnt inferior at ALL. It automatically upgrades to the same firmware that the newest zune is using. The ONLY differences in Gen1 and Gen 2 Zunes are the control pads are different. Gen 1 has the little circle piece that clicks and Gen 2 has a small pad that lets you rub it up and down and side tos ide to choose things. Personally I find that way fo controlling it annyoing and inaccurate. They also come in different memory sizes obviously. Also the gen 2 are a bit smaller and aluminum on the back. Personally I think Gen 1s are much more aesthetically pleasing. 100 bucks for a Gen 1 zune is a great deal. Im checking my target tomorrow.

A little advice from a fellow zune user. Use the installation CD that came with ur Gen 1 zune and DONT upgrade to 2.0. Also the best way to mnanage ur music is to use mediamonkey and put it on th zune using a program called Zalternator. The zune software has problems with meta tags and album art. media monkey finds everything with just one click. Heres a guide for the process http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/tu...using-mediamonkey-zalternator.html#post124656

Ignore the talk of the HDD hack. Its unnecessary. A good site for info and help on using the zune is zunerama.com. They also have video reviews of all zunes so you can see the difference for yourself.

Does the Zune 2 have a better battery though? I'm contemplating getting another one, but the battery in my brown one totally blows. I'll leave it in my car, come back and it'll be fully charged, then halfway through a song it dies and the battery symbol flashes.
[quote name='genfuyung']A little advice from a fellow zune user. Use the installation CD that came with ur Gen 1 zune and DONT upgrade to 2.0. Also the best way to mnanage ur music is to use mediamonkey and put it on th zune using a program called Zalternator. The zune software has problems with meta tags and album art. media monkey finds everything with just one click. Heres a guide for the process http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/tu...using-mediamonkey-zalternator.html#post124656

Ignore the talk of the HDD hack. Its unnecessary. A good site for info and help on using the zune is zunerama.com. They also have video reviews of all zunes so you can see the difference for yourself.[/QUOTE]Thanks, I can't get the Zune software to detect ANY of my new music, can't even drag and drop. You saved my ass.

[quote name='TimPV3']Does the Zune 2 have a better battery though? I'm contemplating getting another one, but the battery in my brown one totally blows. I'll leave it in my car, come back and it'll be fully charged, then halfway through a song it dies and the battery symbol flashes.
Thanks, I can't get the Zune software to detect ANY of my new music, can't even drag and drop. You saved my ass.[/quote]

I dont know about battery life specific to the Zune but I do know if you leave it charging on a constant basis it will have the effect that you are talking about. I learned that the hard way with my phone. Rechargeable batteries should only be charged until they are completely charged. Then they should be unplugged until the battery is at least half depleted.

But yeah man definitely check out mediamonkey. Import your music and then just right click a song and press auto tag from web and it will find the info for that song, find the album art, and assign the album art to that song and to any other songs off of that CD that are in your library. Alternately just highlight a song and press ctrl+l.

I dont really think I should start a new thread for this but does anyone have suggestions for places (online or retail) that have a good selection of zune stuff. I have a 4GB zune and cant find jack for it.

thanks
bill123

[quote name='bill123']I dont really think I should start a new thread for this but does anyone have suggestions for places (online or retail) that have a good selection of zune stuff. I have a 4GB zune and cant find jack for it.

thanks
bill123[/quote]
Tried amazon?

I'm going to try to find one of these bad boys at that price. I just got rid of my crappy 1 gb mp3 player I bought over a year ago. Time to upgrade.

Thanks for the replies. No need to be jumping on me here, it wasn't a direct attack on the product or anything. Read my OP...I was just relaying what was implied by another poster.

I actually thought this would only be an under 10GB model with the MSRP, but with the clearanced price, it's quite tempting. I might wait out for another drop, but chances are they'll be gone by then. The white one looks nice, though I wanna see how the "Limited Edition" red one looks.

Even though I have an Ipod that works splendidly, I've always wanted one of these - especially in their red. I think I'll pick one up since though I love my IPod, the thing gives me far too many issues and Itunes should burn in hell :)

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Thanks for the replies. No need to be jumping on me here, it wasn't a direct attack on the product or anything. Read my OP...I was just relaying what was implied by another poster.

I actually thought this would only be an under 10GB model with the MSRP, but with the clearanced price, it's quite tempting. I might wait out for another drop, but chances are they'll be gone by then. The white one looks nice, though I wanna see how the "Limited Edition" red one looks.[/quote]

If your referring to my reply sorry if I came off like I was attacking u. I was just trying to inform.

[quote name='genfuyung']If your referring to my reply sorry if I came off like I was attacking u. I was just trying to inform.[/quote]No problem. You actually answered the question I've been asking here and in the Target Clearance Thread.

Thanks for the info OP, I ended up buying the red version. Though I already had an MP3 player, I couldn't pass on this after considering the size and video functionality.

Been looking at getting a 8gb Creative Zen for $130. I found and bought a Black 30gb Zune after going to 3 different Targets, sadly it was $130. Still, you can't beat that price for a 30gb music player.

The sales clerks told me that Target was clearing them out due to real low sales compared to the Ipod.

Lol, low sales on the first gen probably. Nobody wants to buy a last gen product at full price.

As for the zune software sucking, 2.0 is actually quite awesome. I've never had any problems with album art or tags. And it doesn't lock up anymore like the original (the reason my zune went untouched for almost a year).

I actually prefer it to my ipod (which freezes every couple of days, and the only traveling it ever does is from my house to my car and back). The screen is gorgeous, and soon it will be getting homebrew games and stuff.

[quote name='genfuyung']A little advice from a fellow zune user. Use the installation CD that came with ur Gen 1 zune and DONT upgrade to 2.0. Also the best way to mnanage ur music is to use mediamonkey and put it on th zune using a program called Zalternator. The zune software has problems with meta tags and album art. media monkey finds everything with just one click. Heres a guide for the process http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/tu...using-mediamonkey-zalternator.html#post124656

Ignore the talk of the HDD hack. Its unnecessary. A good site for info and help on using the zune is zunerama.com. They also have video reviews of all zunes so you can see the difference for yourself.[/QUOTE]

I'm meticulous with my tags, and I've never had any trouble with the Zune software handling them. Plus, if you don't upgrade you can't use the Zune subscription service, which is excellent imo.

I'm happy to see that some of you were able to pick up on this. My gf and I are loving ours so far. Feature wise these "1st gen" players have some that even the latest ipods don't offer.

[quote name='Nowell']Lol, low sales on the first gen probably. Nobody wants to buy a last gen product at full price.

As for the zune software sucking, 2.0 is actually quite awesome. I've never had any problems with album art or tags. And it doesn't lock up anymore like the original (the reason my zune went untouched for almost a year).

I actually prefer it to my ipod (which freezes every couple of days, and the only traveling it ever does is from my house to my car and back). The screen is gorgeous, and soon it will be getting homebrew games and stuff.[/quote]
i have a zune and the software totally sucks. there was a firmware problem that causes problems when you try to upload files onto the zune. I had to send it back to get it fix, took about a month. when i got it back the usb port of the zune broke within 2 days. so i had to send it back again and get that fixed. total time 2 months without an mp3 player.

I have an 5th gen ipod and 1st gen zune (got that for 70 bucks.) the zune is nicer than the ipod and the zune allows you to wirelessly sync so you can upload you files without any cables if you have a wireless network. but thats hella slow. if you get a zune that actually works, its better than a ipod, but ipods imo, are alot more reliable.

is this ymmv or good at all targets that still have it left? ... If good at all targets, I need to get on this as I still don't own an mp3 player!

Any extra incentives to sweeten the deal? Any coupons or percentage discounts? I heard someone mentioned a $5 off coupon. Anyone have it?

is it only certain models of the 30gb? i went down to my local target, and found the limited red editon, but the clearance price was 132.98 and not the 94.98

[quote name='random1up']is it only certain models of the 30gb? i went down to my local target, and found the limited red editon, but the clearance price was 132.98 and not the 94.98[/quote]

Depends on how long a store has had it out for clearance. YMMV

i guess if they only have 3 zunes, i might as well bite since they may not be there long enough to drop again

[quote name='SONIKtheHEDGEHOG']Does anyone know if you buy one at 132 and it drops to 94 if you can get it price adjusted?[/quote]

I've never had any trouble with price adjustments, but others have. I guess it's YMMV.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']What video formats can this play again?[/quote]

mp4 and a zune wmv format.

youll need to get a special converter program though. I had so much trouble with uploading video that i just said forget it

How much of a pain is it to put iTunes podcast (audio and video) subscriptions onto a Zune. Is it as simple as getting a 3rd party software or are you going to have to go through a bunch of hoops?

[quote name='SteveMcQ']How much of a pain is it to put iTunes podcast (audio and video) subscriptions onto a Zune. Is it as simple as getting a 3rd party software or are you going to have to go through a bunch of hoops?[/quote]

I just subscribe to the podcasts in mediamonkey and then when mediamonkey syncs it puts them all onto the zune.

I think this entire town is full of SDers and FWers....every place sold out today at 8. Damn it...every time I try to get one of these I miss out.

Thanks poster, had almost just bought one of these at BB the other day for almost $200. Went to the Target down the street from me and got the last black one for $94.98. They still had a ton of brown and white ones and 3-4 pink, but, no red.

[quote name='SONIKtheHEDGEHOG']Does anyone know if you buy one at 132 and it drops to 94 if you can get it price adjusted?[/QUOTE]

Target's policy is to not adjust clearance prices.

The Zune software is fine, once you learn how to make it work the way you want it to. There is a few formats the Gen 1 won't play that the Gen 2 will, even with the file update. I've had my 30GB for a few months and love it. Check out the Zune thread in the 360 forum, I'll be happy to answer more questions, and point you to accessory deals.

Jut called both local targets. One said they havent gotten the order to drop from 130 to 90 yet and the other said that as soon as they went down to 130 they all sold...Damn

i found one last brown one at $133, but i'm going to take it back, cash is tight and $95 is a much much better deal.

bread's done
Back