32X the add on, the games, info and opinions

SegaGT

CAGiversary!
This is my first new thread here on CAG so let me start off by saying I hope I don't offend anyone or come across as a know it all. There are tons of things I don't know, and my opinions are just opinions.

Having said that, (a little background) I own hundreds of systems and over 1000 games so a lot of what I post delves into that and my experience as an electronics tech. Again, I respect everyone here and don't want to come across as a pushy noob so feel free to contribute what you want.

Back to 32X, The Opinions I read on the Sega CD topic show a lot of people hate the 32X add-on and don't know of any games worth playing on it. I'll start out by saying Chaotix was worth the system for me. I was a Sonic fan to begin with and I have to admit the tether thing was something I did not like at first until I got a hang of it. After though I was hooked and still love that game to death, spent many hours playing it (so I know overheating was not an issue with the 32X). I'll stop right here and if there is anybody who wants to throw their 2 cents in about the 32X have at it!

[quote name='SegaGT']This is my first new thread here on CAG so let me start off by saying I hope I don't offend anyone or come across as a know it all. There are tons of things I don't know, and my opinions are just opinions.

Having said that, (a little background) I own hundreds of systems and over 1000 games so a lot of what I post delves into that and my experience as an electronics tech. Again, I respect everyone here and don't want to come across as a pushy noob so feel free to contribute what you want.

Back to 32X, The Opinions I read on the Sega CD topic show a lot of people hate the 32X add-on and don't know of any games worth playing on it. I'll start out by saying Chaotix was worth the system for me. I was a Sonic fan to begin with and I have to admit the tether thing was something I did not like at first until I got a hang of it. After though I was hooked and still love that game to death, spent many hours playing it (so I know overheating was not an issue with the 32X). I'll stop right here and if there is anybody who wants to throw their 2 cents in about the 32X have at it![/QUOTE]

the 32x is a great system for those who are new into collecting old consoles. the reason why is because of the cheap cost of the games and the easy access to the add-on console and the games. the library of games on the 32x is like 20-30 games and they are easy to get at cheap prices at below $5 for the cart.

knuckles chaotix was not a killer game. star wars arcade and virtua fighter were killer games for the 32x but the other games were just garbage. star wars arcade was a game to get because it was an arcade port of the star wars game. virtua fighter was a killer game because it allowed non saturn owners to buy or 32x owners to keep their 32x console to play a 3d fighter game.

games like afterburner and virtua racing didn't help because they were already available for the genesis. having to buy the 32x version wouldn't do anything new other than better graphics, which is why people didn't buy it.

i'd say, if you own a 32x, than you'll might as well sell it and use the money for sega cd and genesis games. if you don't have a 32x and plan to get one, don't bother because you'll regret it.

Kolibri and Tempo are worth a look as somewhat interesting and unique games. Star Trek: Starfleet Academy Bridge Simulator is kind of an updated version of the old DOS Star Trek games, like 25th Anniversary, if you liked those. Its pretty blah though. Metal Head was OK, but Gundam Side Story came out for the Saturn not long later, so why bother? Shadow Squadron was better on the Saturn.

The best 32X game was Europe only though, Darxide. There was also a port for the... Ngage, and some older Nokia phones. They should get an award for having one game released on both the 32x and the Ngage.

[quote name='dafoomie']Kolibri and Tempo are worth a look as somewhat interesting and unique games. Star Trek: Starfleet Academy Bridge Simulator is kind of an updated version of the old DOS Star Trek games, like 25th Anniversary, if you liked those. Its pretty blah though. Metal Head was OK, but Gundam Side Story came out for the Saturn not long later, so why bother? Shadow Squadron was better on the Saturn.

The best 32X game was Europe only though, Darxide. There was also a port for the... Ngage, and some older Nokia phones. They should get an award for having one game released on both the 32x and the Ngage.[/QUOTE]

Man, I forgot about Tempo. It had a weird acid trip thing that would happen with flying cows and yodeling! It was experiences like that which I enjoyed. Yep, Chaotix was not for everyone but the ability to choose different characters with unique moves and the ability to do two player if you found someone who was skilled at the the game was great (I never cared for the split screen 2 player in Sonic 2), and as far as the game goes, I enjoyed Chaotix more than 3D Blast and Sonic Spinball but I understand its not everyones cup of tea. Kolibri is one I still need to go back and check out though. I didn't get very far in it.

The 32x had a few really good ports that don't get mentioned enough, or are taken out of context.

First, it had an outstanding port of Mortal Kombat 2. What made it more outstanding was the fact that the 6 button Genesis pads that came out towards the end of the system's lifespan were absolutely stellar. I never liked blocking with a shoulder button on the SNES, and with this port, I didn't have to.

Next, it has an awesome port of WWF:The Arcade Game. Yeah, the game might seem hokey nowadays, but I had a blast with it and this remains my favorite port of the game. Good controls, all the characters, and no loading times.

I have my 32x hooked up at home and it remains fun to mess with as a "what might have been" system. It was wild to be able to walk into a Best Buy in the mid 90s and buy games for like 4 different Sega systems.

Yeah that 32X port for Mortal Kombat is probably one of the better ones, especially since the Japanese release on the PS1 had load times, and I assume the same goes for the Saturn.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Yeah that 32X port for Mortal Kombat is probably one of the better ones, especially since the Japanese release on the PS1 had load times, and I assume the same goes for the Saturn.[/QUOTE]
The Saturn version was better, far less load times. No load times during gameplay unlike the PSX.

[quote name='dafoomie']The Saturn version was better, far less load times. No load times during gameplay unlike the PSX.[/QUOTE]
Ah okay, I've never popped it in, my copy is still sealed. Good to know.

Except that it moved at the pace of a spritely walk. That became Sonic X-Treme and the best of those ideas went into Sonic Adventure, so I don't think we really lost out on anything.

Oh, I doubt Sonic Team took any ideas from Sonic Xtreme.

That game was being developed by Sega Technical Institute. Sonic Team was working on SA towards the end of the life of the Saturn and development switched to the Dreamcast (though you can see what Sonic Team accomplished with the Sonic World feature in Sonic Jam)

I'm sure they were made aware of it since it was X-treme's failure that led to them starting that project. Not that STI had much.

As a collector I just can't get into the 32x because at the end of the day I have to actually have something I want to play on it and there just isn't anything of any interest to me on it.

The tomfoolery of powering it annoys me as well.

I play it via an emulator but apparently have some more games to get besides WWF Rage in the Cage. I was never aware of Virtua Fighter.

[quote name='dafoomie']The Saturn version was better, far less load times. No load times during gameplay unlike the PSX.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure the Saturn version has horrendous load times. Maybe not as bad as the PS one, but pretty awful. The 32X version is pretty damned good. I got a cheap 32X not too long after they came out, and I played a ton of VF on it, as well as my fair share of Virtua Fighter. It also had the only (that I know of) port of an arcade game called T-Mek, but it's sadly not a very great port.

[quote name='Sgt Barone']Chaotix is worth the price alone. Fantastic game.[/QUOTE]

I was starting to think I was the only one!

There was a comment about it being hard to collect systems that have no games of (particular) interest. I can relate to that but settled on that if I can find at least one I can really enjoy, it makes it into my collection. AVP on Atari Jaguar for example. There are a bunch of people that would say the Atari Jaguar was a big chunk of toilet bowl shaped plastic and stack of nonsense as well...

bread's done
Back