360 Controller w/ New D-Pad $51.99 - Buy.com

Does the recharging cable allow you to use an Xbox 360 controller as a wired controller on the PC?

[quote name='token2k6']anybody got one of these yet? whats the word??[/QUOTE]

Release date is November 9th. GameInformer wasn't too impressed in their new issue.

[quote name='Thrinn']Does the recharging cable allow you to use an Xbox 360 controller as a wired controller on the PC?[/QUOTE]

no, all that will do is charge the controller

[quote name='kidrocklive']no, all that will do is charge the controller[/QUOTE]

Ah, thanks.

[quote name='the_legend_of_drtre']Took them 5 years to make a decent dpad? That's embarrassing.[/QUOTE]
When was the last time you needed to use a D-Pad? PS1? Ok thank you

[quote name='JohnDoeHoe22']When was the last time you needed to use a D-Pad? PS1? Ok thank you[/QUOTE]

Hello ignorance. Go play a competitive fighting game.

[quote name='AugustAPC']Hello ignorance. Go play a competitive fighting game.[/QUOTE]

Lol, who uses a controller competitively??? Fightstick or go home

[quote name='Flikman24']Lol, who uses a controller competitively??? Fightstick or go home[/QUOTE]

More than you think.

[quote name='Flikman24']Lol, who uses a controller competitively??? Fightstick or go home[/QUOTE]

Sako, arguably the best Street Fighter player in the world uses a pad. Vangief, the best Zangief uses a pad. Uryo the best Viper uses a pad.

I have a fight-pad and a Tourny editon stick, but I still use my pad for plenty of games.

But yea, I see that you've heard of fight sticks and heard they were good for fighting games... good for you.

[quote name='ninja dog']oh shit, some deep internet tough guyz up in dis piece

Dpads and shit are SO PS1 brah! Thats like some donkey kong shit or sumthin'![/QUOTE]

:roll: Please tell me that was sarcasm.

[quote name='JohnDoeHoe22']When was the last time you needed to use a D-Pad? PS1? Ok thank you[/QUOTE]

For all the shmups on the 360. A good number of other games, including Modern Warfare 2 and Gears 2 use the D-pad pretty often.

[quote name='the_legend_of_drtre']Took them 5 years to make a decent dpad? That's embarrassing.[/QUOTE]

It probably took them 5 years to come up with a decent solution that didn't infringe on Nintendo's patents.

Mine was delivered yesterday. Its looks much better in person and the dpad seems much improved but I have not had time to really put it thru the paces yet. Also I remember reading somewhere that the new charging cables are better and allow for a better charge due to improved charging circuity is this true?

lol I love how people assume them using a fight stick is going to automatically make them better. I actually use the analog stick for certain fighting games. It's all about preference.

[quote name='Thrinn']It probably took them 5 years to come up with a decent solution that didn't infringe on Nintendo's patents.[/QUOTE]

What are SEGA's Genesis and Saturn controller patents up to these days? I'm sure SEGA would love the licensing revenue.

[quote name='AugustAPC']Sako, arguably the best Street Fighter player in the world...[/QUOTE]
That's not how you spell Umehara...

Thanks for the heads up, just ordered. Need a new 360, this is going to be at least a slight improvement over the standard, and its only 10 bucks more. Dunno why they have it in stock and Amazon says not till 11/9, but thats good for us!

[quote name='the_legend_of_drtre']lol I love how people assume them using a fight stick is going to automatically make them better. I actually use the analog stick for certain fighting games. It's all about preference.[/QUOTE]

This.

[quote name='Chuplayer']What are SEGA's Genesis and Saturn controller patents up to these days? I'm sure SEGA would love the licensing revenue.[/QUOTE]

I never actually thought about that before. Now that I take a look at Genesis controllers it looks like MS uses the exact same process for their d-pads that Sega used: a cross pad on an exposed plastic disc. However, the four directions are more pronounced on the Genesis controller making it much better d-pad IMO.

Anyone that got this controller, did you get an extra battery cover that fits the normal AA batteries?

Just wondering what you do once the rechargeable battery stops working....

I sort of want one but I want someone else to take it apart and make sure I can swap out the old color buttons from another controller for the gray one first though.

I'm going to doubt this. No PC company has been able to make a good D-pad thus far. Only SEGA/Sony/Nintendo.

Xbox 1 had the garbage "fatty controller" with a garbage D-pad. Then the Type-S with a garbage D-pad then the 360 controller with a garbage D-pad. Yeah, chances of this actually being better is almost nil.

Changing the area that you touch on the D-pad doesn't mean it will be more responsive or comfortable to use (the type of plastic they use is terrible--but maybe this one is better). Overall I'd bet the farm that this D-pad is pathetically unresponsive. Though I'd like to be wrong, I ain't trusting MS and buying it without knowing for sure.

Games that use D-pads:
Tony Hawk (one of my favorite series--even though it's dead now--Ride DOES NOT COUNT)
Fighting games (all series)
2D platformers (all series - Hello XBLA where you're filled with old-school games!)
Metal Gear Solid 3 (not an Xbox game I know, but the D-pad was important for "stalking")

Then there are 3D games where the game gave me the wrong weapon type or whatever else axillary option due to unresponsive hardware.

Anyone who thinks D-pads aren't used anymore must have their heads in the ground (or perhaps someplace else). :\

[quote name='luminaria']Slightly on-topic, but has anyone had any experience with this gamepad from Hori? It looks like it has a legitimate D-Pad, but I'm usualy weary of 3rd-party peripherals.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Pad-EX-Turbo-Black/dp/B002LT9PXQ/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_in[/QUOTE]
I had the older model with only four face buttons and while the dpad worked it was a bit stiff and the buttons too loose. Quite an odd mix. The analog sticks were also unusable for shooters and what not.

You know, why wouldn't MS sell this as a stand-alone controller without the play-n-charge kit? I think most people by now have at least one. I know I have 3, plus the quick charge kit which honestly does a hell of a lot better job.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']I sort of want one but I want someone else to take it apart and make sure I can swap out the old color buttons from another controller for the gray one first though.[/QUOTE]

I am still trying to find the link, but my understanding is that they are the same. Pop-out the new buttons and swap them for the colored buttons

[quote name='ninja dog']oh shit, some deep internet tough guyz up in dis piece

Dpads and shit are SO PS1 brah! Thats like some donkey kong shit or sumthin'![/QUOTE]

So you had to jump on the band wagon of one of the tough guys i see.

The Dpad is used in some games like the new need for speed hot pursuit. I hate how the dpad works for the stuff while the left analog moves. It is a pain to let go of the movement stick just to hit a heli or roadblock. There are some arcade games that work well with dpad as well. The classics the older people like myself like. So it is not a huge big deal but hell if they added better dpad and did not ruin the rest of the controller i am game. I needed another one anyways.

That Hori D-pad doesn't look good. It appears to be stiff... why not get the madcatz fight pad? It has a really nice D-pad. It's wired though. You can also use PS2 controllers on Xbox 360 with an adapter BUT you must have a wired Xbox 360 to make use of it. The adapter works perfectly though, I really like it.

[quote name='Chocoburger']That Hori D-pad doesn't look good. It appears to be stiff... why not get the madcatz fight pad? It has a really nice D-pad. It's wired though. You can also use PS2 controllers on Xbox 360 with an adapter BUT you must have a wired Xbox 360 to make use of it. The adapter works perfectly though, I really like it.[/QUOTE]

Dude, the Hori d-pad is literally 10 times better than Madcatz FightPad d-pads. The Hori EX 2 literally is the best fightpad/digital controller you can get for the 360. The analog sticks are a bit loose, but they're adjustable and still improved over the original EX pad's sticks.

Anyway, I hope this deal lasts a week! I really want this controller but I can't afford it till then.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='artego']That's not how you spell Umehara...[/QUOTE]

Daigo got wrecked by Sako, Mago and Uryo, and recently lost to a fat obnoxious player known as Marn.

[quote name='AugustAPC']Sako, arguably the best Street Fighter player in the world uses a pad. Vangief, the best Zangief uses a pad. Uryo the best Viper uses a pad.

I have a fight-pad and a Tourny editon stick, but I still use my pad for plenty of games.

But yea, I see that you've heard of fight sticks and heard they were good for fighting games... good for you.[/QUOTE]

... Inthul probably the best Fei Long uses a pad.

[quote name='Trojann']I'm kinda mad at this Controller because they dont work with my Tritton Headsets :([/QUOTE]

Errr why not?

[quote name='Chocoburger']Xbox 1 had the garbage "fatty controller" with a garbage D-pad. Then the Type-S with a garbage D-pad then the 360 controller with a garbage D-pad. Yeah, chances of this actually being better is almost nil.[/QUOTE]
The dpad on the Controller S was perfect. If MS would just let me use that on the 360 I would be satisfied.

[quote name='luminaria']Slightly on-topic, but has anyone had any experience with this gamepad from Hori? It looks like it has a legitimate D-Pad, but I'm usualy weary of 3rd-party peripherals.[/QUOTE]

I have the EX 2...the placement of the buttons is kind of awkward when you're used to the regular Xbox360 controller, but for fighting games or even just XBLA side-scrollers, its really fantastic.

When I tried out the Earthworm Jim demo originally with the thumbstick of a regular controller, I was unimpressed...it didn't feel like it handled the same. When I later tried the demo with the D-pad of the Hori EX 2, it was...amazing. Possibly even easier to control his fire than when I played it on SNES back in the day. (I'd say if someone wants to try out the effectiveness of the new Xbox360 controller D-pad, try out that game and see how it feels.)

[quote name='luminaria']You know, why wouldn't MS sell this as a stand-alone controller without the play-n-charge kit? I think most people by now have at least one. I know I have 3, plus the quick charge kit which honestly does a hell of a lot better job.[/QUOTE]

The play and charge kit on this on is actually different and the old ones won't work on the new controller for some reason.

[quote name='Purkeynator']The play and charge kit on this on is actually different and the old ones won't work on the new controller for some reason.[/QUOTE]

Maybe that is why I heard that the new kit could charge the batteries better.

I totally forgot about it having an improved battery. That's a nice bonus.

[quote name='token2k6']anybody got one of these yet? whats the word??[/QUOTE]

Played Halo all last night with it. It's damn sexy. Love the monochrome buttons. Navigating menus seemed more responsive with the d-pad, but I could be imagining things. I haven't tried out anything that would have extensive use of the d-pad yet. Oh, and the newer/ more rigid concave analog is nice. I thought I'd miss the nubs, but with the sharper bevel I hardly noticed they were gone.

I doubt anyone is as picky as me, but I hated the texture of the Reach controllers so I'm glad this one is closer to the standard feel of the regular, one-color, controllers.

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']So you had to jump on the band wagon of one of the tough guys i see.

The Dpad is used in some games like the new need for speed hot pursuit. I hate how the dpad works for the stuff while the left analog moves. It is a pain to let go of the movement stick just to hit a heli or roadblock. There are some arcade games that work well with dpad as well. The classics the older people like myself like. So it is not a huge big deal but hell if they added better dpad and did not ruin the rest of the controller i am game. I needed another one anyways.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Maniac Mansion']:roll: Please tell me that was sarcasm.[/QUOTE]

tards

[quote name='food4me3389']i dont see the price matcher where is it?[/QUOTE]

At the bottom:

Feedback
  • If you need help or have a question for Customer Service, contact us.
  • Would you like to update product info, give feedback on images, or tell us about a lower price?
  • Is there any other feedback you would like to provide? Click here

bread's done
Back