360 controller worth it?

AvidWriter

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
I've been thinking of getting a 360 controller for my PC gaming. Granted I can only think of maybe 3 games off the top of my head that I know use the controller. However I know a lot of games have controller support, and I'd like to play GTA 4 again and I think playing with a 360 controller would be a new experience.

My question is, is it worth it? Do enough games have compatibility with it? I'll ramble off some games that I think might have controller support, if you know if any of these games is superior with a controller please le me know. I have assassins creed, GTA 4, Bioshock 1 and 2 ( I think 2 might have support but not 1), Burnout Paradise, (plan on getting Metro 2033 and I just checked in the demo it seems it does), TF2, Mirrors edge, Zombie Driver(I'm 99% sure I remember support in this game), Plain Sight, L4D2 (?), Cryostasis, Dead Space. Thats about it. Oh and I forgot I'd like to get Batman AA and Borderlands and The Sabotuer.

It would be wired. I have mostly all my games on steam if that plays any factor.

Thanks.

EDIT : Oops forgot to ask if there is anything I need to look for is I go and pick this up at GS? New of-course but I don't follow 360 hardware so I wouldn't know of any "newer" controllers that I might not notice and wind up with an older one. I know of the newest one but thats wireless only.

you can save yourself a few bucks and get the gamestop branded wired 360 controller. Thats what I use for pc gaming and it works perfectly.

Sure, I have one, I like it, lots of my newer games detect it and configure automatically for it, and you can use 3rd party software like xpadder or something to use for games that's aren't automatically compatible for the controller.

I use one, but only with games that aren't FPS's. If you're intending to purchase one and play something like COD or TF2 with it, good luck. Playing with a controller while everyone else is using a mouse and keyboard pretty much means you'll just continually get ass raped.

For stuff like Batman, Assassins Creed, racing games, etc... though, it works great.

It don't matter what controller you get. You can get any and all controllers to work with any and all PC games using this...

[quote name='Megazell']
Software Spotlight

JoyToKey

This software is a keyboard emulator for joysticks.
It converts joystick input into keyboard input (and mouse input).

Use it when you want to control an application with joysticks that doesn't support joystick input. If you wish, you can control even Word, Excel, etc. with joysticks!

Megazell's Comment - Sometimes I take for granted all the little programs I dl and have installed to make PC gaming easier. This is such a program. I been using this one and variations of it for years. It helps a lot when you have games that should have gamepad support but don't. Must have for all PC gamers.

Download it here - http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/JoyToKey English Version.htm
Click Here!

For The Full List Of 'Free And Legal PC Games.'​
[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I've been working way too much lately and I figure I should spoil myself a little. Granted this isn't a huge way to spoil myself but I've only spent at most $5 on games for the past 6 months.

EDIT : Around $5 per game not total. Love steam.

EDIT 2 : Oh no I never really planned to play multi-player with the controller. Maybe FPS or at least try. I could see Dead Space being the same or better, the mouse seemed sluggish at times.

Last edited by a moderator:
yea steam is the best =) though I would only use controllers for racing games and action/sports heavy games (that require button mashing). otherwise mouse+keyboard combo wins most of the time

yeah it's definitely worth it if you're playing a lot of button mashey games. plus some games just work better with controllers (bioshock, just cause 2)

In addition to Joy2Key, there is XPadder and Pinnacle as applications that will let you map any gamepad to the KB/Mouse so you can play games that don't support gamepads. I played the Witcher with my 360 controller using a XPadder profile and it worked great.

I believe all the Valve Source games (L4D, HL2, etc) support the 360 controller by default as well along with any GFWL games. It is definitely worth it if you ask me.

It's a good thing to get.. However don't forget that if you are playing competitive games online, everybody else will have a MAJOR advantage over you seeing as a mouse and keyboard is a lot easier to use.

I sold my wireless xbox controller on amazon and bought a used wired one for the same price. I now use both for my xbox and pc and I can play gta 4/racing games much better.

As far as how many are compatible, I'd say 95% of the time it will work with a controller enabled game. For example, I played Resident Evil 4 with no problems, so it'll support older games as well.

tl;dr Yes

[quote name='I LIEK CHOCOLATEMILK']so it'll support older games as well.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. The 360 controller uses a new protocol, Xinput. Older games that used DirectInput don't fully support the 360 controller. The triggers are notably wonky in DirectInput-coded software.

IMO, it's one of Microsoft's ways they're turning Windows into a closed platform. x64-based digital driver signing enforcement and Xinput and God knows what else.

I highly enjoy using the 360 controller with games that support it. Most console ports (Dead Rising 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Bionic Commando Rearmed, etc.) play better with it, but it's also great for many indie titles.

Got my 360 controller for free from my little bro. I'd say it's worth depending on the price. I don't use it for mouse/keyboard games but for stuff like DMC4, Prototype, racing games, action games, it works great.

bread's done
Back