360 data transfer kit?

Sure, ask one of your friends for their Elite Serial Number and send in the form to MS for the free 360 data transfer cable... ;-)

I didnt know it was an entire kit. It goes for like 30 bucks. I just need to find someone to borrow it from. Anyone feeling generous?

[quote name='Bathory']Does anyone know if you can use these to transfer from a 20gig to a 60gig?!?[/quote]

yes you can use it to transfer data from 20 to 60

Do I need 2 360 serials to get one of these? The Elite I just got is my first 360, but I wouldn't mind having one of these cables lying around...

[quote name='AkariK']Do I need 2 360 serials to get one of these? The Elite I just got is my first 360, but I wouldn't mind having one of these cables lying around...[/QUOTE]

I can confirm that you do need two serial numbers. :bomb:

you can transfer from a smaller hd to a bigger one only, so 20gb --> 60gb or 120gb should work, you just can't transfer from bigger to smaller.

also yes you do need two 360 serials to request the transfer kit. I have one for trade/sale PM if anyone is interested.

[quote name='bubbafett4hire']yes you can use it to transfer data from 20 to 60[/quote]
Ah ok. Thanks for the heads up.

Just get a 64MB memory card from Sears on the (real) cheap and transfer that way.
You won't have to wait for Microsoft to send you the kit - which is free, yes.
Most everything on your 360 is either small enough to fit on the card, while all of your Marketplace purchases can be re-downloaded for free.

I just did a swap through this method about a month ago. The card cost me $5, and I only had to make 2 passes to get all of my save games off of the old drive and onto the new one.

This is true. Why can't we start up a thread of someone who gets the kit then passes it to the next person on the list?

I intend to get a bigger HDD this year, hopefully 120 but possibly the 60. I know I would only need it once so why BUY a whole kit? It's stupid.

I'm planning on picking up a 120 GB HDD soon (you can get HDDs on ebay for $100 or so shipped but they don't include the transfer kit) and a transfer kit trading thread would be great.
I suppose I could get my brother's elite serial number through. Anyone know how long it takes Microsoft to ship out the transfer cables?

I filled out the form to be faxed in and put "on order, do not have" for my Elite # and I got the transfer kit no problem about 9 days later.

If it's that fast I just might go ahead and order one from Microsoft.

Anyone know if they really check the serial numbers? Would it be fine if I used my brother's year old Elite serial number? If they do I just might have to use your method my2k2zx2, though I imagine that method could be pretty YMMV depending on the rep who gets your application.

I got mine no problem, and very quickly.

The form was worded in a way that made it seem like the kit was really only for those who had Pros and upgraded to Elites. I just wrote my Pro serial (with the word "refurb" written next to it) and got the kit.

[quote name='phoenicks']Just get a 64MB memory card from Sears on the (real) cheap and transfer that way.
You won't have to wait for Microsoft to send you the kit - which is free, yes.
Most everything on your 360 is either small enough to fit on the card, while all of your Marketplace purchases can be re-downloaded for free.

I just did a swap through this method about a month ago. The card cost me $5, and I only had to make 2 passes to get all of my save games off of the old drive and onto the new one.[/quote]

The prolbme wiht that is BC games saves cant be saved and some games cant be copied or moved like DOA4. And theres not a shot in hell Im going through doa 4 with every single person again. Not happenin.

[quote name='illpleasa']Sure, ask one of your friends for their Elite Serial Number and send in the form to MS for the free 360 data transfer cable... ;-)[/quote]

Any way you could link me to that form?

[quote name='Kaijufan']I got my cable in the mail today, I'm very impressed by how fast their shipping was.

Now I have to order a hard drive.[/quote]

They havent even shipped mine yet :bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:

I don't know if it's been mentioned..but if you have a 20gb and you get a 120gb..all you need is a memory card.
Really.

I got 2 64mb memory cards from eBay for like $5 each a few weeks ago, and just recently picked up a 120gb from GS for $70. I used my 2 memory cards to store saved files and transferred them over to my new HDD. It took about a day in total (not in 1 sitting). I just re-downloaded all of my XBLA games. It didn't take that long. You do 6 at a time and play something else---most games only took a few minutes to do!

can you transfer 20gb -> 20gb?
my hd isnt bringing down certain XBLA and Demo titles now, think its on the fritz

I haven't been able to score any cheap memory cards or a new HD yet
If you buy a new HD (any size) do these cables come along for the ride?

[if not, they should! =b]

I used the application form that was linked, and today got my data migration package in the mail. I simply put in my only 20GB console serial number, and put N/A for the second console (because I'm not getting a second console...but I am picking up a larger drive).

So, it's entirely possible that they will send you one, if you fill out the form.

[quote name='Rig']I used the application form that was linked, and today got my data migration package in the mail. I simply put in my only 20GB console serial number, and put N/A for the second console (because I'm not getting a second console...but I am picking up a larger drive).

So, it's entirely possible that they will send you one, if you fill out the form.[/quote]

Same here, I put "On Order" for my Elite and got my kit. 2 days later I got another kit. Only faxed in the form once. One from IN via priority mail and one from TX via regular USPS.

Formatted the 20gb drive from my pc with the kit and its now a crude external drive, but it works.

[quote name='CKaz']can you transfer 20gb -> 20gb?
my hd isnt bringing down certain XBLA and Demo titles now, think its on the fritz

I haven't been able to score any cheap memory cards or a new HD yet
If you buy a new HD (any size) do these cables come along for the ride?

[if not, they should! =b][/quote]
No. Not yet at least. And no the new cables don't come with the HDD unless you buy a 120GB.

Since I have never used the transfer kit, I don't know for sure. But, the manual that comes with the kit says:

Content can only be moved from:

• A smaller hard drive to a larger hard drive
  • One hard drive to another hard drive of the same size

You can't transfer content from a larger hard drive to a smaller one.
According to this, you could move content from a 20 GB to another 20 GB drive.

[quote name='Rig']Since I have never used the transfer kit, I don't know for sure. But, the manual that comes with the kit says:

According to this, you could move content from a 20 GB to another 20 GB drive.[/quote]
Oh... they must have updated that since I bought my Halo 360. When I ordered a data transfer cable then it wasn't able to work. I'm sure Microsoft got a lot of people trying to do the same thing. I want to upgrade to a larger HDD but I still like the look of my Halo 360's hard drive.

When you buy a new Hard Drive it comes with the transfer (kit) cable. If you buy a used or refurbished one you may need a transfer cable or a memory card. Some used ones come with the cable. The main reason MS has the kit you can order (for free) is that the Elite does not come with one. Most people that buy an Elite don't have a 360 that they need to transfer stuff from so they don't include it.

bread's done
Back