360 exchange experience at a B&M Sam's Club, anyone? (Non-RRoD)

dpac

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey, all. Searching the forums didn't produce any obviously relevant results, so here I am. Feel free to point me in the right direction if another thread has the info I seek.

The set-up: I bought an Xbox 360 bundle with the Pro system, an extra wireless controller, and a Play and Charge Kit at a local Sam's Club just under two years ago. The system's never red-ringed (amazingly; guess being a part of the second production batch helped there), but the drive door can take more than a bit of work to get open sometimes. The door problem is a regular hindrance, but I am a bit worried about future overheating and/or RRoD-ing as well.

The questions: Has anyone had an experience trying to exchange a faulty 360 for a new one at a local Sam's Club, and if so, how did that work with price differences in hardware (bundles or no), hard-drive contents (swapping or data transferring allowed?), and packaging (boxes, manuals, et cetera)? I still have pretty much all the important things that came with my system originally, but would I need to return/exchange the Play & Charge kit and extra controller, too?

Hearing on the podcast about Shipwreck's experience with purchased content not easily transferring to a new console (at least so far) has got me worried about attempting an exchange, but it would help to hear if anyone else has tried this before I attempt it in the next week or so. Thoughts?

I bought my very first 360 from Sams, I took it back within a few days because it froze alot. I didnt exchange it though, I just returned it, told them what was wrong with it, and got my money back. They asked if I wanted to pick out another one though, but since yours was purchased 2 years ago Im not sure how they will handle it.

I can't answer from the Sam's Club perspective, though I've done two returns with 360's at Costco. First time around, went without an issue, I brought back all the items I purchased with the system (and yes, that's everything, including bundled games, controllers and other accessories), they gave me the money back on a cash card (gift card equivalent), and I purchased a new one. Which ended up getting me back $50-something dollars in difference between the two systems.

Second time around, same situation, same process, though as their cash card system was done, they handed me my money back. Though, as they had more of the same Zephyr systems made from 2006, I ended up going to Target to purchase a system.

[quote name='dpac']Hey, all. Searching the forums didn't produce any obviously relevant results, so here I am. Feel free to point me in the right direction if another thread has the info I seek.

The set-up: I bought an Xbox 360 bundle with the Pro system, an extra wireless controller, and a Play and Charge Kit at a local Sam's Club just under two years ago. The system's never red-ringed (amazingly; guess being a part of the second production batch helped there), but the drive door can take more than a bit of work to get open sometimes. The door problem is a regular hindrance, but I am a bit worried about future overheating and/or RRoD-ing as well.

The questions: Has anyone had an experience trying to exchange a faulty 360 for a new one at a local Sam's Club, and if so, how did that work with price differences in hardware (bundles or no), hard-drive contents (swapping or data transferring allowed?), and packaging (boxes, manuals, et cetera)? I still have pretty much all the important things that came with my system originally, but would I need to return/exchange the Play & Charge kit and extra controller, too?

Hearing on the podcast about Shipwreck's experience with purchased content not easily transferring to a new console (at least so far) has got me worried about attempting an exchange, but it would help to hear if anyone else has tried this before I attempt it in the next week or so. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Good Luck. They won't let you return it after 2 years.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Good Luck. They won't let you return it after 2 years.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I've heard that's the going limit on things at Sam's, which is why I started up this thread. I should probably give this a try before the 21st, as that's when I bought the bundle back in '06. I've also heard (and searched extensively to find out) that the return and exchange policy can vary by store, so I'll probably have to confirm with a B&M with stock (can I only return to the store I bought the system from?) before anything can be said definitively. Thanks for all the feedback, though.

I'm pretty sure you're gonna get denied since it was bought in '06. I used to work at the returns desk at Sam's, a couple years back, and I would deny that. I did return an unopened King of Queens S7 in December that I bought back in May without a hitch though. I think it depends on if your receipt'll come up in the system and if they ignore the fact that you bought it in 06. If you want to try, you can throw a fit, and threaten to quit your membership. If they want to keep you, they'll do it, but if not, you'll get your $40 membership fees back.

Its been 2 years.. i dont see why they would take it back..

The refund on the membership is only good for the first year isnt it? At least I think thats how it is at Costco..

You pay membership fees every year you're a member. At any time, you can get your membership fees refunded, so if you were really cheap, you could get a membership, then 364 days later, get it refunded.

[quote name='dpac']Yeah, I've heard that's the going limit on things at Sam's, which is why I started up this thread. I should probably give this a try before the 21st, as that's when I bought the bundle back in '06. I've also heard (and searched extensively to find out) that the return and exchange policy can vary by store, so I'll probably have to confirm with a B&M with stock (can I only return to the store I bought the system from?) before anything can be said definitively. Thanks for all the feedback, though.[/QUOTE]

The return policy is only 3 months on everything but computer which are 6 months. Not sure where you heard the 2 years thing. I think thats Costco.

[quote name='lukewin']I'm pretty sure you're gonna get denied since it was bought in '06. I used to work at the returns desk at Sam's, a couple years back, and I would deny that. I did return an unopened King of Queens S7 in December that I bought back in May without a hitch though. I think it depends on if your receipt'll come up in the system and if they ignore the fact that you bought it in 06. If you want to try, you can throw a fit, and threaten to quit your membership. If they want to keep you, they'll do it, but if not, you'll get your $40 membership fees back.[/QUOTE]

The receipt will come up on the computers.. They keep things in there system forever.

[quote name='pimpinc333']The return policy is only 3 months on everything but computer which are 6 months. Not sure where you heard the 2 years thing. I think thats Costco.[/QUOTE]
The 2-years thing is anecdotal and based on hearsay. What I've read recently from other consumers concerning Sam's lifetime-return policies is as follows, all from late-2007:

I try to buy my electronics at Sam's Club if I can because they
have an indefinite no questions asked return policy. I bought a hddvd
player that broke after a year. I just took it back and they gave me
a brand new one in the box.
http://groups.google.com/group/abc_...q="sam's+club"+return+policy#8bcca28b1d5dd397

My dad bought an LCD tv from sam's club last january and it recently started messing up really bad. ... The woman at customer service looked it up on the computer, found the transaction and gave us credit. No questions asked.
When they say 100% satisfaction guranteed, i guess they really mean it!
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=67&threadid=2130724&enterthread=y

IIRC, they'll pretty much take it back, with the noted exceptions. My in-laws have returned things a year or so after the fact if they broke down. ... I returned a TV there about a little over a year ago after something like 32 days and they took it back no questions asked. Sam's will take just about anything back in just about any condition.
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/34709834/m/899008168831

Oh, and here's the first part of the official return/refund policy, taken straight off the Sam's Club web site:

At Sam's Club, Member Satisfaction is 100% guaranteed both on merchandise and Memberships. Our policy is to refund our Member’s purchases in full with a receipt and without a receipt we will refund in full with a Sam's Club Shopping Card.

The following exceptions apply:

* Computers, which can be returned within 6 months of the original purchase date, except Dell computers which can be returned within 30 days of the invoice (ship) date.
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=6104

Doesn't really help specifically with the Xbox situation, but that's what I found after another quick search. If anyone else has any firsthand experience, I'd love to hear what you have to share. Other than that, all I can do is contact a local Sam's myself. I just want to be ready when I do.

bread's done
Back