360 Hd-dvd

CocheseUGA

CAGiversary!
Feedback
33 (100%)
Want to pick this up for a super cheap-ass price, preferably at $100 or lower. Good luck, I know, but if you run across one for this price, I want it.

Best chance would be trolling your local Sams Club. People have sometimes been getting them for less than $80 or $90 but it is a HUGE YMMV. Seems to happen most when they only have one left.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']If you absolutely must go HD DVD, I'd recommend spending the extra $$$ and getting the HD-A2 standalone.[/QUOTE]

That's why I'm going the cheap route: I'm betting BR wins out. But, there are some great titles that are HD-DVD, and I will also need something to upscale my standard DVDs. I don't mind using this until I can afford a PS3. BUT, it has to be around that price point of $100. Like you said, I could wait until someone has the A2 for $200 again. I don't really want to spend that much.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']That's why I'm going the cheap route: I'm betting BR wins out. But, there are some great titles that are HD-DVD, and I will also need something to upscale my standard DVDs. I don't mind using this until I can afford a PS3. BUT, it has to be around that price point of $100. Like you said, I could wait until someone has the A2 for $200 again. I don't really want to spend that much.[/QUOTE]

The add-on won't upscaling your DVDs unless you have an Elite. I don't know if that $40 off $199 coupon still works, but if it does you could use that at Circuit City to get the add-on plus you'll get three free movies.

Your dvds are only upscaled if you have a VGA or HDMI connection. You don't need the add-on for upscaling either.

[quote name='Treythalomew']Your dvds are only upscaled if you have a VGA or HDMI connection. You don't need the add-on for upscaling either.[/QUOTE]

I believe the TV I am looking at has VGA. And with the way 360s are going, good chance I'll have to replace/upgrade anyways.

Good luck finding one for that price. I bought mine with the first 2 free movie offer at circuit city about a month and a half ago now and I love it. The Matrix looks great.

As for upscaling I have a normal model hooked up via a VGA cable and it does in deed upscale images.

Again I wish you sincere luck with this because I know it'll be a little tricky (Could you use an EB edge card to knock their used price down?)

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I believe the TV I am looking at has VGA. And with the way 360s are going, good chance I'll have to replace/upgrade anyways.[/quote]Which is why I suggest going for the add-on to lessen the wear and tear on your system.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Which is why I suggest going for the add-on to lessen the wear and tear on your system.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. Plus, I can hook it up to my computer.

I might try Sams Club tomorrow for the hell of it. Need milk anyways.

i just picked mine up at circuit city, they are giving away 2 free hd-dvd movies up to 59.98 value. so to me that only makes it $140, so for $200 bucks i have an hd dvd player with 3 hd-dvd movies.

P6200244.JPG

[quote name='CocheseUGA']That's why I'm going the cheap route: I'm betting BR wins out. But, there are some great titles that are HD-DVD, and I will also need something to upscale my standard DVDs. I don't mind using this until I can afford a PS3. BUT, it has to be around that price point of $100. Like you said, I could wait until someone has the A2 for $200 again. I don't really want to spend that much.[/QUOTE]

DVD quality on the Xbox 360 is awful, it's sad to imagine anyone with a HDTV using it as their primary DVD decoder.

Edit: Take a look at this review of X360's DVD playback. Just get a cheap upconverting player (easily sub $100) and hold off on HD until you can afford an A2.

[quote name='Koggit']DVD quality on the Xbox 360 is awful, it's sad to imagine anyone with a HDTV using it as their primary DVD decoder.

Edit: Take a look at this review of X360's DVD playback. Just get a cheap upconverting player (easily sub $100) and hold off on HD until you can afford an A2.[/QUOTE]

I read the replies to that article, most of which say the article is complete crap. No VGA use, no HD-DVD use, and use of crappy DVDs. Needless to say I'm not put off from it.

tarouza: details please, because I have no idea what you are talking about.

in the DVD thread there is a coupon to get 6000 reward zone points with teh purchase of 2 dvd's 14.99 or more. 1000 rz points = $20 gift certificate. so buy the 2 dvd's, get the 6000 points and use the $120 in rewardzone gift certificates towards the HD dvd player

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I read the replies to that article, most of which say the article is complete crap. No VGA use, no HD-DVD use, and use of crappy DVDs. Needless to say I'm not put off from it.

tarouza: details please, because I have no idea what you are talking about.[/QUOTE]

The 360 is still one of only a few that can do 1080p so, you get a bit of future proofing. I have mine hooked to the TV through VGA and it looks very good.

[quote name='bmsdaddy']Best chance would be trolling your local Sams Club. People have sometimes been getting them for less than $80 or $90 but it is a HUGE YMMV. Seems to happen most when they only have one left.[/quote]

Its a huge your mileage may vary? I dont get it.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']If you absolutely must go HD DVD, I'd recommend spending the extra $$$ and getting the HD-A2 standalone.[/quote]

Agree 100%. Get a standalone. The Hd-A2 is a really nice player.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Oh I get it. YMMV = You may or may not get the deal at the given store?

Also, is this deal any good on the a2?[/quote]

I have never heard of that company. Check Amazon, Fry's, Best Buy, CCity... places like that. Amazon has it for 298 shipped. Also, remember to send in for your 5 free dvd's.

bread's done
Back