360 HD in other units

brainmunch

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I currently have a first generation XBOX 360 Premimum unit with tons of game saves and purchased content on the hard drive.

If I were to buy a new console, say the Elite or just another 360 Premimum, would I be able to pop in my old harddrive into the new system and access ALL of my content (free and paid). Will I run into any problems? I'm worried that the HDD is linked to a specific 360 unit or has a special unlock key like the original XBOX. Will migrating my Live account to the new system with the old harddrive do the trick?

Thanks for any and all information.

[quote name='brainmunch']I currently have a first generation XBOX 360 Premimum unit with tons of game saves and purchased content on the hard drive.

If I were to buy a new console, say the Elite or just another 360 Premimum, would I be able to pop in my old harddrive into the new system and access ALL of my content (free and paid). Will I run into any problems? I'm worried that the HDD is linked to a specific 360 unit or has a special unlock key like the original XBOX. Will migrating my Live account to the new system with the old harddrive do the trick?

Thanks for any and all information.[/QUOTE]

All content except for XBLA games which can still be accessed, however you have to be online to play them. Same appearantly goes for the Shivering Isles update from what I understand

This really belongs in the sticky FAQ thread.

Content is tied to specific 360 machines. But that only applies for anyone besides the user that bought the content, accessing it.

After you move your hard drive, you will be able to still access all the stuff you have purchased, as long as the gamertag that made that purchase is signed in, and you are connected to the internet.

My 360 failed after about one week and I returned it to Target for a new unit. I swapped the hard drives in the store, after carefully explaining exactly how everything worked to the customer service desk. Once I said that my credit card was stored in there, they were very accomodating. So, even if nobody at the store understands how video games work, you can always explain that your identity is tied to the hard drive and they will probably let you keep it.

Anyway, I haven't had any problems with the new hard drive connected to a new 360. While not exactly the same scenario as the one that you are describing, I thought I would just add that. The downloaded content clearly is not attached to a specific 360 unit serial number or anything.

[quote name='brandonabley']My 360 failed after about one week and I returned it to Target for a new unit. I swapped the hard drives in the store, after carefully explaining exactly how everything worked to the customer service desk. Once I said that my credit card was stored in there, they were very accomodating. So, even if nobody at the store understands how video games work, you can always explain that your identity is tied to the hard drive and they will probably let you keep it.

Anyway, I haven't had any problems with the new hard drive connected to a new 360. While not exactly the same scenario as the one that you are describing, I thought I would just add that. The downloaded content clearly is not attached to a specific 360 unit serial number or anything.[/QUOTE]

I don't think your credit card number is actually stored on there, but if you were to leave your profile on it with auto sign in enabled, someone could buy stuff on XBLA with your account. Good excuse anyway though :)

bread's done
Back