360 or PS3 for a Fickle Ass Gamer?

PawnTakesKing

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
The Fickle Ass Gamer in question here is myself.

It's no secret that I've been disappointed with the Wii. Now that the honeymoon is over, I've decided I want to move on to another next-gen console. I get a substantial bonus in November that will allow me to afford either the 360 or PS3. I cannot afford to get both.

360 Pros
The 360 seems like a great deal, and the holiday bundle sweetens it even further. XBox Live is amazing, and the marketplace will be perfect for downloading TV shows and HD movies that my wife and I both enjoy. Not to mention all of my friends have 360s, so I can finally join them in some Halo 3...

360 Cons
...but the downside is that I'm afraid Halo 3 is all I'll play. Not too many other games have peaked my interest on the 360, other than Eternal Sonata and Mass Effect. I'm not into Bioshock or GTA, so I don't really care about those games. Not to mention the games that I AM interested in (Skate, Oblivion, Orange Box, Assassin's Creed, Devil May Cry 4, just to name a few) are also available or will be available on the PS3. Finally, there's always the potential RRoD, which I fear like someone taking a blunt object to my testacles.

PS3 Pros
PS3 looks like it has some great games coming down the pipe. FF13, MGS4, Ratchet, Little Big Planet...I'm interested in playing all of these. I'm also a huge Square-Enix fanboy, so I'd no doubt benefit with a PS3. If I pay the extra $100 for a 60 gig model I can also enjoy a lot of the PS2 games I missed. A Blu-Ray player would also be nice...

PS3 Cons
...but paying $400 or even $500 for a just a console is a bit steep, especially when the 360 holiday bundle continues to taunt me with its two free games. PS3's online system is, as CheapyD says, "broken," and I'd be playing with total strangers, since I don't know anyone with a PS3. Also, the PS3 doesn't seem to be too popular with developers right now, so I'm a little worried about its future stability. Finally, (and this is a minor gripe) my wife absolutely HATES the PS3 and refuses to play it with me if I get one. But, she said she'd be more than happy to spend some quality time on the 360.

I just can't decide, and I'm afraid that once I choose one, I'll instantly have buyer's remorse and want the other. Help me CAGs...you're my only hope.

Well, if you care about online a lot then 360 is the way to go, the online system is definitely not as good as Live, but it does work even though it may be "broken".

Most of the big releases this year are going to be multi-platform, so you won't be missing out on too much.

Mainly this year the 360 has Mass Effect, Ace Combat 6 and I'm sure other stuff, I'm not really on the top of 360 info.

PS3 will have Ratchet and Clank, Haze, Time Crisis 4, Eye of Judgement (if you like that type of game), and Uncharted.

Multiplatform will be almost all of the big games with those being The Simpsons Game, Assassins Creed, Kane and Lynch, Army of Two, etc.

So really, look at the few exclusives for both consoles and decide which you like more. I do not recommend just sticking with the Wii.

As an owner of all three, I say 360. I know you said you are worried you would only play Halo 3, but there are games that will take you by surprise. The system has opened my eyes to genres I have ignored or lost interest in. I would say get a Wii if you like the Nintendo game staples. The PS3 is just in it's infancy right now and I can't honestly recommend it to someone that is fickle. It seems that the 360 is the way to go this generation. It has awesome games like Blue Dragon, Mass Effect and quirky games like Beautiful Katamari and Viva Pinata that are a lot of fun. Live may be $50 a year, but you can find deals and I think it is worth the price of admission. This is coming from someone who thought it was something I would never pay for.

I'd have to say the 360 based on sheer size of library and variety with a lot of quality stuff spanning a lot of genres. It's a great system and anything you buy now will have a mugh higer reliability.

That being said, if this holiday season's PS3 lineup (which seems to be giving the console its first claim at a legitmate library) interests you, ya might want to think about nabbing a full BC-enabled PS3 before they disappear.

ps3... free online and it will have orange box as well and hopefully ut3, Resistance online is good... the ps3 is good overall and you can do alot with it.. but its not going to win any popularity contests. The thing is, most of the games that are coming out, are on both PS3 and 360.. plus.. you can get about 5-7 free blu ray discs.. and you can always buy 360 after the holidays... hell if you gonna get ps3 at least get something for free..

Go with the 360. All the multi games 9/10 times are better on the 360 anyway. Only thing you have to fear is the RROD, that is the only con of the 360 IMO. As long as you get a warranty I think you'll be okay. Plus like you said you'll have your friends and your wife will be able to play with you on the 360. Online is better, It's cheaper then a PS3.

360 end of thread.

you get a PS3 if you want an upconverter or a blu-ray player or pretty mcuh just for movies. At this point, the PS3 can be pretty much written off as a gaming machine.

It comes down to what you and you wife want to play, both systems have their advantages. A big library of ps2 games might help you chose, since the 360 only partially b/c. For me personally besides Halo 3 and Gears I'm not interested in most of the games the 360 has simply b/c I can get some on PC and that's where they shine, like Bioshock

360 no doubt. The situation is so bad that even if the ps3 cost 299, and the 360 had a failure rate of 1/2, I would still say 360. And I'm one of the least fickle gamers around.

PS3. It's the overall better deal in the end, especially if you go with a 60GB. PS3 looks to have the best lineup ever in 2008 (almost exactly like PS1 in 1997).

Oh course, I'm going to bet CAG with say 360 says there's tons of PS3 haters here. :p

My biggest gripes with 360 are overpriced accessories you need, paying for XBL, and terrible hardware (I had problems with my Xbox working last gen, and I've had problems with my 360. I might never buy another MS console again because of this, but who knows. Not a single Sony (and you wouldn't believe how many PS consoles I have) or Nintendo platform died on me).

From what you said in your post I would say you look most interested in the PS3. You won't be able to download shows and movies like you would like, but with the 50 dollars from now paying for live and the money you don't spend on shows you could buy them. The PS3 has blueray, upconverter, backwards compat, and if you are really interested in the games coming out next year that I think it is the system for you.

If you want to be able to buy a system and have a myriad of games to choose from to play right away then you may be more interested in the 360.
It seems that the 360 is the better gaming maching right now, but I think the ps3 is the better entertainment machine.

[quote name='ighosty']You won't be able to download shows and movies like you would like[/QUOTE]

Doesn't the PS3 have DVR-like functions in the works for several other regions?

I don't care for the pricing on XBL videos, so I can't recommend expecting to use that for TV and movies.

XBL is superior for online games by far, but PS3 is far from "broken." It works, but it's nowhere near up to snuff with XBL. That's akin to saying "one on hand, I have a fully equipped SUV with all the options packages, and on the other, a Toyota Yaris with a cassette deck." Both *work*, ultimately.

I'm personally very sour on the 360 right now as a consequence of my 2nd console dying (lasted from April 07-October 07). The towel trick hasn't resurrected the system yet, and doesn't appear to, either. I'm missing out on free DLC for Oblivion because the system is dead; it will cost money if I want to download it by the time I get a new system.

Have you read the stories of what people have to go through to get their XBLA games working on their new system?

Now, you seem like you have interest in the PS3, but, like the Wii, you're buying both consoles on *potential* at this point. The PS3 has some fun games to play...plenty good if you don't own it or a 360. For the moment, though, 360's exclusives are more fun than PS3's. Blu-Ray movies are great as well (except for Evil Dead 2, as that looks barely better than the DVD). Its biggest downfall, right now, is just a lack of superior quality exclusive games (and a barebones online system). The quality games will come, but let's not fool ourselves: nobody's played Uncharted, or Haze...so nobody knows how they'll turn out at release. PS3 owners can continue to say "wait for ____" until they're blue in the face, but waiting sucks when you spend $500+.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']PS3. It's the overall better deal in the end, especially if you go with a 60GB. PS3 looks to have the best lineup ever in 2008 (almost exactly like PS1 in 1997).

Oh course, I'm going to bet CAG with say 360 says there's tons of PS3 haters here. :p

My biggest gripes with 360 are overpriced accessories you need, paying for XBL, and terrible hardware (I had problems with my Xbox working last gen, and I've had problems with my 360. I might never buy another MS console again because of this, but who knows. Not a single Sony (and you wouldn't believe how many PS consoles I have) or Nintendo platform died on me).[/quote]

OP, only idiots buy a system based on a lineup.

1) You dont know if the games will actually come out. Or at least for U.S.
2) You dont know if they're good.
3) The game release dates are usually much longer than you expect.

Remember, Killzone 2 was one of the first games you ever saw, where's that? Or MGS4, or Mario Galaxy, or Wii Music, or 6GunII, or Dark Sector, or Black Blade, or Dark RPG, or Killing Day, or Thesis, or Elveron, or Endless Saga, or Gran Turismo 5, or Two Days to Vegas, or Fear and Respect, or Demonik, etc... etc.... etc....

I learned that lesson when I got the 32X for Xmas when I was 10, I'm surprised you guys are still learning it.

Rachet and Clank is going to be really good on PS3.. I've played the demo and I'm impressed.. purely impressed. The big hits that's coming this chrismas are going to be on PS3... and the big time exclusives are coming 2008... so I just see how anything other than price could be a con for the PS3. There's definitely gonna be enough games for you to buy on PS3 to tide you over until the bigger titles start to come out.

[quote name='PawnTakesKing']
360 Cons
...but the downside is that I'm afraid Halo 3 is all I'll play.[/QUOTE]

Well put that fear to rest, because you'll see that is not the case if you purchase one.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']PS3. It's the overall better deal in the end, especially if you go with a 60GB. PS3 looks to have the best lineup ever in 2008 (almost exactly like PS1 in 1997).

My biggest gripes with 360 are overpriced accessories you need, paying for XBL, and terrible hardware (I had problems with my Xbox working last gen, and I've had problems with my 360. I might never buy another MS console again because of this, but who knows. Not a single Sony (and you wouldn't believe how many PS consoles I have) or Nintendo platform died on me).[/QUOTE]
EVER? I dunno about that. I'm just a hater of the price, that's all. It's a fine piece of equipment, no doubt, but 360 definitely has the better library of games right now.

Atm, the 360 has the best library...but if you have to choose one, probably the PS3 down the line. You said you're a Square-Enix fanboy...as am I. The system will be worth buying for FFXIII & XIII Versus alone. And who knows, FFVII the Remake!?!?! Heh, I wish. Not sure if you're into Metal Gear, but MGS4 will be one hot system exclusive.

Seems like this time around, a lot of companies are going multi-platform...so you don't really need to worry about DMC4, Assassin's Creed, Lost Planet, Eternal Sonata, Resident Evil 4, and etc because those will all be on the PS3 as well. I own a 360 at the moment, and I plan on owning all 3 next gen consoles somewhere down the line. There's no point in acting fanboy about it...I buy systems for the games, not the company; and quite frankly all the systems have games that I want to play (Wii to a lesser extent. I just wanna play as Sonic in Smash).

What a lot of people don't realize is that with the 360, you have to pay extra for a lot of the add-ons. You don't need the network adapter, but it certainly makes things a helluva lot easier. The PS3 already has Wi-Fi built in, so no need to spend $100 extra for a network adapter like the 360. The system also comes with a USB cord, and you can charge your controllers through your PS3 when it's on or through your PC. You have to pay $20 or $30 for 360's play and charge kits, or buy AA batteries. Also, don't forget about online gaming...$50 a year for XBL; on the other hand, PSN is absolutely free (not as good as XBL, but it has a lot of potential with Home and whatnot).

Don't forget the free blu-ray player...$180 for an add-on HD-DVD player on the 360. In the end, if you want functionalities that are equivalent to the PS3, you'll end up paying over $680. More expensive than an 80 GB PS3! And gradually you'll end up paying more than that with the yearly XBL subscriptions. So the 360 is cheap? I think not! That's exactly what Microsoft wants the consumer to think...and it seems to be working.

If you're an importer like I am, the PS3 is completely region free which just makes importing a breeze. No region lock bull shit like the 360...I own a Japanese 360, and I'd say about 50% of the US games play on my system. A minor annoyance, especially when I want to buy a localized jRPG like Eternal Sonata...the bastards region locked it. Unfortunately I'm not fluent in Japanese (getting there), and I'd much rather play it in English for the time being. Oh, and I don't know about you, but Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Forza 2 don't look very enticing to me. I certainly wouldn't buy a system just because those games come bundled with it. I just wish Sony would bundle a 40GB PS3 with Heavenly Sword, Motor Storm, and Spider-Man 3 on blu-ray.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']

My biggest gripes with 360 are overpriced accessories you need, paying for XBL, and terrible hardware (I had problems with my Xbox working last gen, and I've had problems with my 360. I might never buy another MS console again because of this, but who knows. Not a single Sony (and you wouldn't believe how many PS consoles I have) or Nintendo platform died on me).[/quote]

I've had 2 PS2s crap out on me. One fat that I've manage to repair several times to this day, which I guess is sort of good depending on how you look at it.

I certainly won't be watching movies on my PS3 once I get one, but just thought I'd throw that out...some people seem to care. Hell, if I wanted a blu-ray player, I'll go out and buy one. I'm not gonna wear out my PS3 by watching movies on it.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I've had 2 PS2s crap out on me. One fat that I've manage to repair several times to this day, which I guess is sort of good depending on how you look at it.[/QUOTE]
The only reason they repaired for free was cause of the class action suit. I had to just rebuy after the launch 30001 died after a year with dre the 39001 died also of dre in another year.

At this point sony would do the repair for free provided I ship it to them in my own box.

Ive also had a bunch of 360 casualties. The launch unit red ringed after a year warranty replacement died a week later (on the day of an update). Current unit seems to be working fine and I got a another 360 just for hd Windows media extender usage (also works fine).

The 360 is great game console and the ps3 (currently) is a great blu ray player (provided you don't use a universal remote) but get the warranty on any console you buy unless it says Nintendo on it.

Better selection of games
Better online system
More people to play with
Pretty good backwards compatibility that is increasing instead of decreasing
Marital bliss

Seems like it's not too much of an issue. If you're super worried about your system then get an extended warranty; although it's only really needed for disk drive failures now if you're ok with sending it into Microsoft if it red rings, or if you don't want to wait the 2-6 week repair time.

[quote name='y2kenjination']I certainly won't be watching movies on my PS3 once I get one, but just thought I'd throw that out...some people seem to care. Hell, if I wanted a blu-ray player, I'll go out and buy one. I'm not gonna wear out my PS3 by watching movies on it.[/QUOTE]

I'm just saying that the Blu-Ray player certainly is not "free." It's part of the built-in cost of the console, and a significant part of the system's sluggish sales (the cost, not the fact that it plays BR movies).

[quote name='BULL_Ship']get the warranty on any console you buy unless it says Nintendo on it.[/QUOTE]

That's funny, since I've had to have my Wii replaced due to the graphics "tearing" issue (or whatever it's called). To be fair, I'm probably just unlucky, as the hardware seems reliable. Then again, "reliable" is a relative term when your 2nd 360 dies after 5 months of occasional use.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Better selection of games
Better online system
More people to play with
Pretty good backwards compatibility that is increasing instead of decreasing
Marital bliss

Seems like it's not too much of an issue. If you're super worried about your system then get an extended warranty; although it's only really needed for disk drive failures now if you're ok with sending it into Microsoft if it red rings, or if you don't want to wait the 2-6 week repair time.[/QUOTE]
I agree with your first two points, but saying the BC is pretty good is laughable.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Marital bliss[/quote]

:whistle2:s

Seems like it's not too much of an issue. If you're super worried about your system then get an extended warranty; although it's only really needed for disk drive failures now if you're ok with sending it into Microsoft if it red rings, or if you don't want to wait the 2-6 week repair time.

Given what MS sent out to the store shelves for the first 20 or so months of the console's lifespan, I wouldn't plan a ticker tape parade in honor of 360s becoming more reliable just yet. Wait about 6 months.

[quote name='whoknows']I agree with your first two points, but saying the BC is pretty good is laughable.[/quote]
385 games so far with the possibility of adding more while the PS3 goes from 100% BC (60 GB) to 75-90% (80GB) to ZERO with the new 40GB.

Since I have such a massive PS2 collection I'm glad I got the 60GB when it dropped in price but the OP can only afford 1 system. Since I refuse to get a Wii (would only collect dust since I don't have any RL friends that would play it) the 360 w/HD-DVD drive and the PS3 suit me fine. But anyone who asks me in this type of situation I would always say the 360. The positives far outweigh the negatives.

mykevermin, the OP said in his post that his wife refuses to play the PS3 but will play the 360 with him. No need to unnecessarily cause a rift between husband and wife. I'm not saying the 360 is more reliable (although hopefully these new Falcon's will fix that) but if you are willing to wait for the repair time the only reasons to have an extended warranty are for drive issues (no.2 and sometimes forgotten about 360 problem) or instantaneous "repair" after redeeming the warranty since the MSoft warranty now is 3 years for any RRoD issue and 1 year for other system issues.

[quote name='MSUHitman']385 games so far with the possibility of adding more while the PS3 goes from 100% BC (60 GB) to 75-90% (80GB) to ZERO with the new 40GB.

Since I have such a massive PS2 collection I'm glad I got the 60GB when it dropped in price but the OP can only afford 1 system. Since I refuse to get a Wii (would only collect dust since I don't have any RL friends that would play it) the 360 w/HD-DVD drive and the PS3 suit me fine. But anyone who asks me in this type of situation I would always say the 360. The positives far outweigh the negatives.[/QUOTE]
Still plays a hell of a lot more games than the 360 does, and most of the games it can't play are probably ones no one cares about(budget games and things like that), while with the 360 I can play Barbie Horse Adventures but I can't play Chronicles of Riddick.

[quote name='whoknows']Still plays a hell of a lot more games than the 360 does, and most of the games it can't play are probably ones no one cares about(budget games and things like that), while with the 360 I can play Barbie Horse Adventures but I can't play Chronicles of Riddick.[/quote]

Chronicles of Riddick is about the only major XBox 1 release not backwards compatible yet that's not a sports game. There's two reasons for that: 1. it was too hard/maybe impossible to get the software emulation to work on that game because of how hard it pushed the XBox hardware and 2. they've already announced a 360/PS3 version of the game as a sort of Director's Cut of it so they can make more money.

You're talking to someone who was about to give up gaming until the PS1 and FF VII got me back in. I loved the backwards compatibility the PS2 gave me. But to now 1 year into the PS3 life cycle to strip it out completely of your new unit without even a software firmware upgrade option while just 1 year ago Sony touted it's 100% backwards compatibility and made fun of Microsoft for not having the same leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Also saying that rumble and motion control was impossible while Nintendo had it when it was just a lie to try to cover up the worst kept secret in gaming about Sony's loss in a major lawsuit on the rumble patent also makes me a little ill.

I won't sell my PS3 and I'll enjoy what comes out for it, but Sony right now looks like a cross between Sega circa 1995 and Nintendo circa 1995-2006. Not exactly the best track record to follow.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Chronicles of Riddick is about the only major XBox 1 release not backwards compatible yet that's not a sports game. There's two reasons for that: 1. it was too hard/maybe impossible to get the software emulation to work on that game because of how hard it pushed the XBox hardware and 2. they've already announced a 360/PS3 version of the game as a sort of Director's Cut of it so they can make more money.

You're talking to someone who was about to give up gaming until the PS1 and FF VII got me back in. I loved the backwards compatibility the PS2 gave me. But to now 1 year into the PS3 life cycle to strip it out completely of your new unit without even a software firmware upgrade option while just 1 year ago Sony touted it's 100% backwards compatibility and made fun of Microsoft for not having the same leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Also saying that rumble and motion control was impossible while Nintendo had it when it was just a lie to try to cover up the worst kept secret in gaming about Sony's loss in a major lawsuit on the rumble patent also makes me a little ill.

I won't sell my PS3 and I'll enjoy what comes out for it, but Sony right now looks like a cross between Sega circa 1995 and Nintendo circa 1995-2006. Not exactly the best track record to follow.[/QUOTE]
The 40gb is cheaper for a reason, so it's not really fair to count that. If you want BC buy any other version of the PS3.

And Chronicles of Riddick may be the only big game (I'm not sure if it is), there are other games I would like to play on it. For example I saw Urban Chaos for $5. I was going to buy it then I remembered how terrible the 360's BC is so I decided to save my $5 and check first. And what do you know, not BC. Also Advent Rising isn't BC and it's possibly my favorite Xbox game.

[quote name='y2kenjination']What a lot of people don't realize is that with the 360, you have to pay extra for a lot of the add-ons. You don't need the network adapter, but it certainly makes things a helluva lot easier. The PS3 already has Wi-Fi built in, so no need to spend $100 extra for a network adapter like the 360. The system also comes with a USB cord, and you can charge your controllers through your PS3 when it's on or through your PC. You have to pay $20 or $30 for 360's play and charge kits, or buy AA batteries. Also, don't forget about online gaming...$50 a year for XBL; on the other hand, PSN is absolutely free (not as good as XBL, but it has a lot of potential with Home and whatnot).[/quote]

You mean accessories like headsets, HD Cables and controllers with out rumble only to put it back in later on? If you pay $30 for a play and charge kits, you are a moron. Or Canadian. You also don't need to pay $100 for a wireless network adaptor. The 360 charges the controllers while it is off. PS3, not so much. I would rather pay $50 a year for a good online service like XBL than the less than stellar PSN bullshit. Also, what happens when the PS3 controller battery dies? How much is it to replace the battery? I would rather pay $10 for a rechargable attach on for my 360 than open up my PS3 controller to change a battery. But maybe I am in the minority.

[quote name='Kendal']You mean accessories like headsets, HD Cables and controllers with out rumble only to put it back in later on?[/QUOTE]
The thing is, a huge variety of headsets work, you don't need a special kind like with the 360. Any USB headset, and almost any bluetooth headset will work.
If you pay $30 for a play and charge kits, you are a moron. Or Canadian. You also don't need to pay $100 for a wireless network adaptor. The 360 charges the controllers while it is off. PS3, not so much.
You don't need to pay $100, but that's what MS charges for theirs. And I don't see how it's a complaint that the PS3 has to be on to charge the controller, it's almost silent so and it won't suddenly overheat.
I would rather pay $50 a year for a good online service like XBL than the less than stellar PSN bullshit.
I'd rather pay nothing for either, but if I have to pay I will since Live has proven to be just about worth it so far.

Sony is at least working at their online service trying to make it better, so I'm waiting to see where that goes. Free is the best.

Also, what happens when the PS3 controller battery dies? How much is it to replace the battery? I would rather pay $10 for a rechargable attach on for my 360 than open up my PS3 controller to change a battery. But maybe I am in the minority.
$0

Sony will exchange the controller for free.

[quote name='Kendal']You mean accessories like headsets, HD Cables and controllers with out rumble only to put it back in later on? If you pay $30 for a play and charge kits, you are a moron. Or Canadian. You also don't need to pay $100 for a wireless network adaptor. The 360 charges the controllers while it is off. PS3, not so much. I would rather pay $50 a year for a good online service like XBL than the less than stellar PSN bullshit. Also, what happens when the PS3 controller battery dies? How much is it to replace the battery? I would rather pay $10 for a rechargable attach on for my 360 than open up my PS3 controller to change a battery. But maybe I am in the minority.[/QUOTE]
Ever heard of monoprice.com? Yeah, they charge $7 for HDMI cables, so we shouldn't even be arguing about this.

You don't need to pay $100, but you see, most consumers get duped into buying Microsoft's official network adapter 'cause they somehow think it's "better". Believe me, I work at GameStop...I see it happening all the time. It's the same people that would gladly pay $70 for HDMI cables. Either way, isn't it like $40 for a decent network adapter, whereas you pay absolutely nothing for the PS3?

Nothing happens when the PS3 controller battery dies. You send it to Sony, they replace it for free. I've been hearing the battery life lasts for over 5-8 years, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

I have both and play my 360 far more often... I do like my PS3, I just play the 360 more. And seriously, Fickle Ass Gamer? I think we'll avoid analyzing any acronyms here...

[quote name='pacifickarma']I have both and play my 360 far more often... I do like my PS3, I just play the 360 more. And seriously, Fickle Ass Gamer? I think we'll avoid analyzing any acronyms here...[/QUOTE]

Wow, I didn't even think about that. Guess I should be more careful with my topic titles.

Well, it looks like most people here prefer the 360. I assume there must be a good reason for it. I've almost made up my mind, but I'll keep the thread open in case someone has a good argument for the PS3. With the recent price drop to $499 for the 80 GB, I'm wondering if the 60 gig models will get an even better reduction.

[quote name='PawnTakesKing']Wow, I didn't even think about that. Guess I should be more careful with my topic titles.

Well, it looks like most people here prefer the 360. I assume there must be a good reason for it. I've almost made up my mind, but I'll keep the thread open in case someone has a good argument for the PS3. With the recent price drop to $499 for the 80 GB, I'm wondering if the 60 gig models will get an even better reduction.[/QUOTE]

how about listing 15 games that you want to buy this holiday season and determine which systems they're on.

[quote name='Thomas96']how about listing 15 games that you want to buy this holiday season and determine which systems they're on.[/QUOTE]

I can't even think of 15 games that I want for either platform this holiday season, but I'll give it a shot.

Here goes:

Halo 3 (360)
Eternal Sonata (confirmed for PS3, I know, but 360 exclusive for now)
Blue Dragon (360)
Mass Effect (360)

Ratchet & Clank (PS3)
Warhawk (PS3)
Uncharted (PS3)

Skate (multi-platform)
Oblivion: Game of the Year Edition (multi-platform)
Orange Box (multi-platform)
All-Pro Football 2K8 (multi-platform, yes I'm aware that it sucks)
Assassin's Creed (multi-platform)

Umm, that's about it, I think.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I've had 2 PS2s crap out on me. One fat that I've manage to repair several times to this day, which I guess is sort of good depending on how you look at it.[/QUOTE]

4 PS1s & 3 PS2s crapped out on me. Hardware failure is just another thing in the long list of things that makes the 360 more like a true "PS3", than even the PS3 itself (which is more akin to the 3D0 / Saturn / Xbox at this point).

If you really want to get a system, get a 360. The PS3 has nothing you need to play now. Wait until next year and see what happens with PS3, as it's a safe bet to assume a $299 PS3 will hit before the year's end. Not only that, but there's a decent chance anything 3rd party could be ported to 360 (especially if sales continue in the current direction for all three systems).

Don't listen to Thomas or TMK, they both have there lives on the line trying to sell you a PS3. Not even sure if they even truly like their systems, since they seemingly spend all their time defending the system.

[quote name='PawnTakesKing']I can't even think of 15 games that I want for either platform this holiday season, but I'll give it a shot.

Here goes:

Halo 3 (360)
Eternal Sonata (confirmed for PS3, I know, but 360 exclusive for now)
Blue Dragon (360)
Mass Effect (360)

Ratchet & Clank (PS3)
Warhawk (PS3)
Uncharted (PS3)

Skate (multi-platform)
Oblivion: Game of the Year Edition (multi-platform)
Orange Box (multi-platform)
All-Pro Football 2K8 (multi-platform, yes I'm aware that it sucks)[/QUOTE]

There you have it, 360 easily takes it.

IMO, your particular situation comes down to whether or not you want to play with your wife or not. If you look at it in those terms, the decision becomes easy.

Also, dont fool yourself, the effective price of a 360 is $400 as well seeing as though you'll definitely want to get an XBL membership (or spend your time scrouning around for 48hr codes I suppose...)

Anyway, if you want to buy *today*, you'd likely be better off with the 360....I really enjoy mine. Ratchet, and Uncharted ant out yet so wait and see what other PS3 deals come down the pike. Maybe you'll eventually end up with both...

[quote name='BULL_Ship'] but get the warranty on any console you buy unless it says Nintendo on it.[/quote]
Funny that you say that, since the Wii is the only console that's failed on me in 22 years of gaming. My NES, Genesis, SNES, TG-16, PSX, PS2 and Xbox360 have all been completely trouble-free.

bread's done
Back