360 S Arcade, 2 Wireless Controllers, 1 Yr XBL, 4k MS Points - $250 @ MS Store

Very good deal considering everything together would retail at ~$340. I wonder if the Microsoft retail store is also having this deal or is it just online?

that is a pretty sweet deal. i have a friend who is looking into getting one.

i do have a question, the slims can in no way use the old hard drives right? and they do not take a standard 2.5" sata drive either correct? the drives are proprietary?

I suppose you could add a 16GB flash drive ($30 - $40) to store the 4000 points of MarketPlace content. There's also the shipping and sales tax added.

Hmmm. Still a good deal.

[quote name='ctrek3']that is a pretty sweet deal. i have a friend who is looking into getting one.

i do have a question, the slims can in no way use the old hard drives right? and they do not take a standard 2.5" sata drive either correct? the drives are proprietary?[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KeFPNcgx5g

[quote name='aaandrewww']How much could I realistically get for the live card if I bought this, but didn't want the card? $35?[/QUOTE]
I was about to order one, if it wasn't a 4GB. Then again if it was the 120 or 250 it would've been sold out already.

I need a Live Subscription and a new controller - both I was considering buying. I almost feel like I should bite on this deal and I could even resell some things if I didn't choose to keep it.

If you had positive seller feedback I'm sure a lot of people here would pay you $35 straight up to send them the code.

[quote name='ctrek3']that is a pretty sweet deal. i have a friend who is looking into getting one.

i do have a question, the slims can in no way use the old hard drives right? and they do not take a standard 2.5" sata drive either correct? the drives are proprietary?[/QUOTE]

I can't vouch for this store or the product, but you can get an enclosure for $13 with free shipping here. Just crack open the case that your current 360 hard drive is in and put it in there. Or buy that and a compatible hard drive, do the necessary flashing, and slip it in. I haven't used it, but I ran across this when doing my own research last week.

You can also do what the guy does in the video above, but I'd worry about it being able to move side to side and putting too much pressure on the connection. Break that and you lose the drive and your saves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh, for shites and giggles I decided to put it in my cart and was surprised by free shipping! Granted, while it would be an awesome deal, still not sure if I should.

[quote name='aaandrewww']How much could I realistically get for the live card if I bought this, but didn't want the card? $35?[/QUOTE]

i'd buy it for 35$. lmk if you decide to sell it.

if you're willing to sit on it, you could possibly get 40-42$ for it. thats what many people list the 4000 pts for lately (but not sure if they are actually selling it for that or not).

great deal, OP. thanks.

Wow, really good deal for people who don't own a system. I have a 360 Pro that I want to upgrade to the Slim but I want a big hard drive. If this was the Elite model with the hard drive for 350 I'd totally bite.

I almost got this as I am looking for good deal on a 4GB 360 slim so I can buy a Hard Drive separate but still come out at or under the price of the 250GB slim. I hate the glossy black on the 250GB as I had one for a couple weeks and then sold it when they were in short supply for a little profit.

I am going to wait until October 30th and pick one up from Walmart so I can return it in case there are some good deals for Black Friday or Cyber Monday. You cant return consoles to the Microsoft Store.

And to all thinking about putting there old HDD in the new slim Microsoft has finally taken an official stance on that. I was thinking about doing it buy they just put out a press release:

"Terms of Use:

16. Service Operation and Equipment.

Any attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute, or use for other purposes the Service, any game , application, or other content available or accessible through the Service, or any hardware or software associated with the Service or with an original Xbox or Xbox 360 console is strictly prohibited and may result in cancellation of your account and/or your ability to access the Service, and the pursuit of other legal remedies by Microsoft.

Put it all together and we have:
Any attempt to disassemble any hardware is strictly prohibited."

"This will most likely count as modifying your system and will definitely count as modifying your HDD, both of which can lead to a system ban.
It is recommended to stay within the TOS on the system. Either spring for the larger HDD model or supplement the 4gb model with a couple USB drives.

MS has policies against the modifying of HDD, mainly for the purpose of preventing people from cheating or modifying the game experience for others on Live. There are a number of people who can attest that permanent console bans have and will be made if your Xbox is detected using a modified HDD.

If you have to start with "Technically yes what I am saying is against the TOS, ..." then you probably shouldn't be doing it. Just remember, a console ban is permanent. That's at least a $200 loss."

Bummer, if this were the 250GB bundle for $350 I might have ponied up the dough for it. But in a way I'm glad it is not since my 360 works just fine and is under warranty for another 18 months.

[quote name='nmod']Could you get a WD passport 250 gb drive and use it with this? They are only $60 or so.[/QUOTE]

MS has it set up so you can only use up to 16 gigs on 3rd party hardware for game related storage.

[quote name='nmod']Could you get a WD passport 250 gb drive and use it with this? They are only $60 or so.[/QUOTE]

There are some drives that are compatible, but you have to plug the drive into your computer and flash them with the firmware that let's them be used with the 360. Google around for instructions and a list of compatible drives.

[quote name='yohsh']Any suggestions on what to do with my arcade unit if i decide to get this?[/QUOTE]

mod it :lol:
I keed, I keed

OMG I've been waiting for a good 4gb slim deal! I also *hate* the glossy black so I was planning on going with the 4gb and buying the MS 250gb hard drive.

AMAZING DEAL, purchased.

EDIT: Even with $21 tax, still a freaking crazy deal. UPS is kind of a downer but hey, it's free.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want 250gb, but I need the system itself to be matte so it matches it's own controllers, and more importantly the PS3 that it will be sitting right next to. Yes I'm that OCD. Getting the 4gb at this price and the $129 250gb hard drive is still a deal!

[quote name='CountChoculitis']I almost got this as I am looking for good deal on a 4GB 360 slim so I can buy a Hard Drive separate but still come out at or under the price of the 250GB slim. I hate the glossy black on the 250GB as I had one for a couple weeks and then sold it when they were in short supply for a little profit.

I am going to wait until October 30th and pick one up from Walmart so I can return it in case there are some good deals for Black Friday or Cyber Monday. You cant return consoles to the Microsoft Store.

And to all thinking about putting there old HDD in the new slim Microsoft has finally taken an official stance on that. I was thinking about doing it buy they just put out a press release:

"Terms of Use:

16. Service Operation and Equipment.

Any attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute, or use for other purposes the Service, any game , application, or other content available or accessible through the Service, or any hardware or software associated with the Service or with an original Xbox or Xbox 360 console is strictly prohibited and may result in cancellation of your account and/or your ability to access the Service, and the pursuit of other legal remedies by Microsoft.

Put it all together and we have:
Any attempt to disassemble any hardware is strictly prohibited."

"This will most likely count as modifying your system and will definitely count as modifying your HDD, both of which can lead to a system ban.
It is recommended to stay within the TOS on the system. Either spring for the larger HDD model or supplement the 4gb model with a couple USB drives.

MS has policies against the modifying of HDD, mainly for the purpose of preventing people from cheating or modifying the game experience for others on Live. There are a number of people who can attest that permanent console bans have and will be made if your Xbox is detected using a modified HDD.

If you have to start with "Technically yes what I am saying is against the TOS, ..." then you probably shouldn't be doing it. Just remember, a console ban is permanent. That's at least a $200 loss."[/QUOTE]

wow, and my brother just stripped his 120gb HDD to put it in this slim arcade, after watching that youtube video.... :cry:

There is no way MS is going to ban people for taking HDs out their cases...that's not modding in the slightest. Plus what is the xbox going to detect that would alert them exactly? An MS certified hard drive?

[quote name='killthemall4444']There is no way MS is going to ban people for taking HDs out their cases...that's not modding in the slightest. Plus what is the xbox going to detect that would alert them exactly? An MS certified hard drive?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. That's what I'm thinking too. There's no flashing necessary when you remove the casing off of your older HDD to "install" it onto the S model. Is there?

The consoles that were probably banned are those with the cheap counterfeit drives that are all over eBay and come from China and Hong Kong. Those aren't even backwards compatible like an official MS HDD would be.

Microsoft totally sucks for making you have to buy their own hard drives, but that is a discussion for another day. It's frustrating though, my PS3 is rocking 1tb and I'd like to do the same for my Xbox.

[quote name='Xerxes']Can these play Halo Reach yet? What about if you slap a HDD in it.[/QUOTE]

Yes if you put a 250GB HDD into it then it will play all modes. It is only when you are trying to use just the 4gb flash memory or USB sticks that you run into problems.

I do not think there are any confirmed cases of people being banned from putting an old hard drive into the new slim but if MS was able to find a way to tell you had a slim with a different hard drive space than 250GB, they could ban you for modding I guess was the jist of the post.

I just copied and pasted that from a different website, I did not write it, I just thought people should maybe know before they cracked open there old HDDs.

Using a MS Certified Drive on a New Console with doing nothing but using a different case shouldn't and likely will not get you banned. It's the modifying of drive firmwares to make your own compatible drive that will get you banned. MS will just detect you are using a certified drive, nothing wrong with that.

I bought an extra but don't use the Xbox Gold, so it would probably be smart to wait until the price goes up to $60 and try to flip it on craigslist for $50 if you don't use it. I'll probably sell the controller to for $20 and it will be lik getting a free 4000 point card with the console.

[quote name='dudejeff22']Microsoft totally sucks for making you have to buy their own hard drives, but that is a discussion for another day. It's frustrating though, my PS3 is rocking 1tb and I'd like to do the same for my Xbox.[/QUOTE]

Another day? Go ahead a pick any day in 2008 and join the conversation

[quote name='ZForce915']Another day? Go ahead a pick any day in 2008 and join the conversation[/QUOTE]

:rofl: Funniest post I've read in a long time. :applause:

[quote name='jputahraptor']I bought an extra but don't use the Xbox Gold, so it would probably be smart to wait until the price goes up to $60 and try to flip it on craigslist for $50 if you don't use it. I'll probably sell the controller to for $20 and it will be lik getting a free 4000 point card with the console.[/QUOTE]

I will buy your extra controller if you decide to sell.

[quote name='CountChoculitis']Amazon Warehouse has the 250GB 360 slim right now for $227 if you would rather not wait for these.[/QUOTE]

Can you link me? unless it's dead :bomb:

[quote name='flameo2000']Can you link me? unless it's dead :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Dead now. Up pretty much all day Saturday. Slim 4GB was $150 through warehouse as well. I would just bookmark the warehouse page and check back every now and then to see if it comes back in stock. That is what I am doing for the Move Starter Pack.

Does anyone want the 4000 microsoft points for 40 dollars? There is really no point of having that much points if there is only 4gb.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']wow, and my brother just stripped his 120gb HDD to put it in this slim arcade, after watching that youtube video.... :cry:[/QUOTE]

They wont ban u im doing it right now that guy is trying to scare you dont buy his lies

[quote name='killer9']They wont ban u im doing it right now that guy is trying to scare you dont buy his lies[/QUOTE]

Hey dont kill the messenger. I just copy and pasted that from somebody on slickdeals in the 4GB 360 deal there. I was thinking about putting my 60GB in a slim also but I had second thoughts after seeing that post.

No it is not very likely you will get banned because you are not technically flashing your drive or anything, but who knows with M$.

The reason I ultimately decided not to put my old 60GB hard drive in a slim is that it will kill the resale value of my old 360. I go to college in buttf!ck nowhere so nobody on craigs up here will buy it without the HDD.

bread's done
Back