360 version of FFXIII on 'about' 3 discs

Not sure what the big deal is. Sure, I'm a sucker for FF13 news. But, 3 discs isn't a big deal. Look at all the disc swapping in the PS1 days. Even now w/ Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon. Not a big deal.

It could be on 15 discs, for all I care. Some people are going to complain about it, but those are the ones who are too lazy to get up every 15 hours or so and change the disc.

There was a game on PS1 that was on 3 discs and was a pretty darn good game. I think it might've been a Final Fantasy game too.

[quote name='aheineken']It could be on 15 discs, for all I care. Some people are going to complain about it, but those are the ones who are too lazy to get up every 15 hours or so and change the disc.

There was a game on PS1 that was on 3 discs and was a pretty darn good game. I think it might've been a Final Fantasy game too.[/QUOTE]

Close, it was four discs actually and it was Final Fantasy VIII. ;)

[quote name='Sdawg']No big deal, as long as it has a proper multidisc packaging(looking at you Lost Odyssey) I don't mind it.[/QUOTE]

And how many games that have multiple discs have come out with proper packaging in the US?

Man, is this a slow week for game news or what? We've had three big conventions in the last week, and this counts as thread-worthy? Ugh.

[quote name='Overbite']I'm not worried about discs, just if there's performance differences between the systems.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, I'm sure the PS3 version will look and run nearly as good as the 360 version.

#1. FF7 was on 3 or 4 disks did anyone care nope.

#2. FFXIII FF13, After the Hard drive install You won't notice a thing might not even need to swap disks after a full install.

[quote name='Master Ninja']#1. FF7 was on 3 or 4 disks did anyone care nope.

#2. FFXIII FF13, After the Hard drive install You won't notice a thing might not even need to swap disks after a full install.[/QUOTE]

Ugh, such a newbie. You WILL need to swap discs even if you install the game.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Man, is this a slow week for game news or what? We've had three big conventions in the last week, and this counts as thread-worthy? Ugh.

[/QUOTE]

This. *yawn*

i wish it was 4 discs like FF9. more discs rule, it makes you feel more bad ass beating 3 discs instead of just 1

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Don't worry, I'm sure the PS3 version will look and run nearly as good as the 360 version.[/QUOTE]

Zing.

Lol, I remember how most of the Ps3 fans kept teasing how the Xbox 360 version would be on a million disks. This is pretty big anyway.

The issue, in my opinion, isn't the number of disks but rather the potential limitations that the 360 is showing -- in this case, limited storage size on the DVD.

It was fine that the Final Fantasy games were on multiple disks because it was cutting edge and looked (arguably) better than anything the N64 had. Microsoft is trying very hard to convince consumers that the 360 is truly next gen but when you have an average consumer look at the two systems and say, "The 360 needs multiple disks, while the PS3 only needs one. So I guess the PS3 is superior...?" The two games will largely be similar but there is a perception problem Microsoft is going to be running into very soon.

Case in point -- Rage and Halo ODST will likely have two disks (one disk each for single and multiplayer). There was rumors that Microsoft charges greater royalties for each additional disk because they want to dissuade publishers from multiple disk games likely because of this perception issue.

So Microsoft will either have to stick with their royalty fee situation (and put negative incentive for larger games) or abandon their scheme but lose perception among the general population.

Just my two cents, but I think Microsoft sticking with a proven format that already works(DVD)* was a smart move. A consumer may also see it that way as well especially with regards to price.(May have been truer in the past, seeing how the PS3 has dropped in price now). I'm old school though, having multiple floppies(floppys?) was awesome back in the day. "RADICAL, this game has 6 Floppy disks!"

*Also easier to turn a profit since drives are cheap.

I always thought multi-disk was cool, and just made you feel like you got something REALLY epic, when you got that much for the money. 4 disk for 60 bucks just feels so much more substantial than 1 disk, y'know? Heavier case, more art on disk covers...

How could multiple disk make something seem WORSE? Are people really this lazy (That they can't switch disk), this delusional, to think something like that?

I'm just glad I don't have to buy a system that I don't want all THAT much to be able to play FFXIII. Dissidia brings back good FF nostalgia, and raises hype for Squeenix next big console game nicely. I look forward to finally getting to play XIII, after all these years of teasing.

They need to start allowing more companies to do multi-disk but give the users the options to install every disk and let you use the first as the boot disk. If you don't have a HD large enough then you swap and if you do then it's single only.

See, I know that on multiple disk games, there is A LOT of duplicate data between all the discs. So I've never felt that more disks meant more value, better.

[quote name='Magehart']They need to start allowing more companies to do multi-disk but give the users the options to install every disk and let you use the first as the boot disk. If you don't have a HD large enough then you swap and if you do then it's single only.[/QUOTE]

Will never happen. What stops a person from installing the game, keeping the first disc, and then selling the others?

are people seriously complaining because they have to get up to swap discs? wow... no wonder people are fat...
anyways as long as you don't have to swap discs in the event you back track, i don't see what the big deal is...

[quote name='SynGamer']Will never happen. What stops a person from installing the game, keeping the first disc, and then selling the others?[/QUOTE]

Why would anyone buy the others?

[quote name='blader16']Mind you post a link to that thread?[/QUOTE]
Here ya go.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Why would anyone buy the others?[/QUOTE]

A disc gets scratched, lost, stolen? I got disc 3 of FF8 off of eBay because mine wasn't working.

[quote name='SynGamer']A disc gets scratched, lost, stolen? I got disc 3 of FF8 off of eBay because mine wasn't working.[/QUOTE]

The market of people missing one disc of a multi-disc title is pretty limited.

While this is more of an exception than a rule, I hope that if multi-disk releases become the norm, the price of a HDD comes down to allow for larger installs.

[quote name='SynGamer']Will never happen. What stops a person from installing the game, keeping the first disc, and then selling the others?[/QUOTE]

...because you could have disc two and three but still not play the game without disc one :roll:. It wouldn't be a shivering isles issue where you install and sell because the extra discs here offer nothing without the boot disc (that isn't sold seperately for a lower price).

bread's done
Back