3D Console Gaming - Whos in?

blitz6speed

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I just got a 3DTV Plasma a few days ago, and the more 3D content i play on it, the more it looks so good. Ive tried 3d content from ps3/360/blu-rays and wanted to see what others thought. Please do not comment on saying its a gimmick or what not, i'd like to discuss 3d gaming present and future. No handheld 3D please.

So far ive tried the following:

360:

The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile - Fun game, 3d effect is side by side due to 360 limitations. It is a strictly 2-d game with lots of effects and zooming in to enhance the 3d effect. Its a neat little distraction but not much to write home about.

Blu-ray:

Only seen Monsters Vs Aliens so far but it looked amazing in 3d.

PS3:

Black Ops - crappy 3-d, lots of ghosting, hardly any depth.

Crysis 2 - Crappy 3-d again, lots of ghosting, depth is very mild and tons of cross talk. You can tell its fake 3-d.

Super Stardust HD - REALLY awesome. This was the first thing i tried in 3d and wow, what an experience. Loved the depth and stuff comes flying out and in all the time.

Gran Turismo 5 - The top tier of 3d right now, with the right settings + cockpit view, it is truly mind blowing awesome.

De Blob 2 - One of the nicest games in 3-d ive ever witnessed. It truly feels like there is a small real world inside the tv and the depth is AMAZING on it. Cannot recommend it enough.

MLB 11 The Show - Depth is draw dropping, really amazing stuff.

Killzone 3 - Nice depth and looks great. I only played the first level, i hear it gets a lot better later.

Wipeout HD - Wasnt impressed at all, it looked very nice but nothing to write home about.

please share your experiences.

I'm not a fan of 3D personally. I just find it distracting and often get a headache. Have no issues with it if it's optional and games can be played in either 2D or 3 D though...like on the 3DS.

If I could afford a 3d TV right now, Id have one. I have played a few games at the Sony store in 3D and watched a few movies at various places on a 3D TV.

I can see myself getting a headache after a while, but i think thatd just be my clue to go outside.

I have every intention of building a Home Theater with a 3D TV in my living room in the future, but for now I simply cannot afford it. :(

I'm dying to watch some Disney movies in 3D!

Not a fan of 3D. I just bought a brand new 47" LCD and specifically decided to not get 3D.

Perhaps when that passive 3D tech that Vizio is working on gets better (Doesn't require glasses), and cheaper, in 5-10 years or so when I think about getting a new TV, and if 3D has caught on by then, I'll get one.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Not a fan of 3D. I just bought a brand new 47" LCD and specifically decided to not get 3D.

Perhaps when that passive 3D tech that Vizio is working on gets better (Doesn't require glasses), and cheaper, in 5-10 years or so when I think about getting a new TV, and if 3D has caught on by then, I'll get one.[/QUOTE]

What... the...?????????

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'm not a fan of 3D personally. I just find it distracting and often get a headache. Have no issues with it if it's optional and games can be played in either 2D or 3 D though...like on the 3DS.[/QUOTE]

This. I personally subscribe to Ebert's opinion of 3D. It's mostly a gimmick that truly doesn't satisfy or bring a greater depth to a work (be it video game or film).

I wear glasses/contacts and hate 3D for that aspect at the moment. It's blurry, things are out of focus, and it screws with convergence/depth of field into actually make some things worse.

I've played with the 3DS in store, and hate, hated it. I abhorred it and within minutes it was giving me a headache and I just couldn't see what the big deal was.

[quote name='basilofbkrst']What... the...?????????[/QUOTE]

Lower priced 3D TVs sacrifice picture quality and features for the 3D. I bought a TV that has one of the highest 2D picture qualities on the market for the price of a shitty 3D TV.

It's all about priorities.

[quote name='wwe101']3D is a gimmick and whatnot[/QUOTE]
:applause: I just got into the HD thing with a monitor. I'm not gonna go running out to buy some super ginormous 3Dtv just because it's the 'latest thing'.:roll:

Besides which, the only time I watched even part of a movie(Monsters Vs. Aliens at HHGregg) in 3-D the shit gave me a massive fuckin' headache within 10 minutes.

So unless they can reduce the eye straining and headaches to nil then I'll never buy a 3Dtv.

This thread is going places, so i decided to just continue listing experiences with more 3-d ps3 games ive played. Finally got some sleep after work yesterday and woke up to play the following:

PS3 -

Avatar The Game - Wow, talk about crap. In 3-d this game runs at like 15fps or something of that order. Terrible, and avoid. The game also had unskippable cutscenes which drives me insane.

Hustle Kings - I could hardly tell it was in 3-d. I could take off my glasses and it looked like a normal 2-d game for the most part. Very disappointing.

Prince Of Persia 3-d - Finally, something not LOL worthy! Decent depth and made climbing and judging distance between jumps easier, not super omg like De Blob 2 but a lot better then i expected. I liked it.

The Sly Collection - The second you turn on 3-d mode, this game turns into a fuzzy mess, you can see the res drop so hard it looks so bad. And theres hardly any depth in 3d at all. Totally not worth playing this in 3-d AT ALL, 2-d it looks so gorgeous and sharp, stick to that.

Tumble - This is AWESOME in 3-d, you really can play it a lot better in 3-d and the depth is fantastic. With the move controller being used with it, its really nice. Highly recommended.

Today im picking up MK9 and Socom, both of which have 3-d, so i'll get to those soon. I should also have a few more 3-d Blu-ray movies arriving as well like Tangled.

btw, after playing a bunch of crappy 3-d games today, i was 2nd guessing my purchase, but then i popped in GT5, then Super Stardust HD and Monsters Vs Aliens, and it became insanely apparent that when 3-d is done right, it is just downright amazing. I can however see how if someone gets a 3dtv and the wrong 3-d content, they may be turned off of it.

3D can be great in games if implemented properly. It has great potential, especially if the TV engineers can figure out how to use the 3DS technology for regular TVs. I'm impressed by the 3DS.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Prince Of Persia 3-d - Finally, something not LOL worthy! Decent depth and made climbing and judging distance between jumps easier, not super omg like De Blob 2 but a lot better then i expected. I liked it.

The Sly Collection - The second you turn on 3-d mode, this game turns into a fuzzy mess, you can see the res drop so hard it looks so bad. And theres hardly any depth in 3d at all. Totally not worth playing this in 3-d AT ALL, 2-d it looks so gorgeous and sharp, stick to that.

[/QUOTE]
So far the most impressed i've been are De Blob, Killzone 3, and Super Stardust (but honestly, De Blob kind of made me what to throw up).

I have to disagree on PoP - while the effect was good, and it did give you a sense of depth, it was hard to play, because the camera wasn't designed for 3D play and it whipped around kind of uncontrollably at times, or when you run around a corner, the old camera is killed and a new one is placed at a better spot in the hallway. It's works pretty good in 2D, but it's a bit jarring in 3D. Also, fights in some of the bigger rooms are always a headache because the columns are constantly passing inbetween you and the camera and they jump out at you funny.

Sly review was dead on. I took off my glasses and rechecked all the 3D components to make sure it was even on. The only reason i could tell was because the screen was so distorted.

What settings are you using on GT5? I couldn't find anything that worked well in and out of the cockpit.

To those complaining about headaches- i noticed when i first set-up my TV for 3D i got a headache for the first day or so (really, it made my eyes burn). Based on friends and family that have used it, viewing in 3D appears to (unfortunatly) be a bit of an aquired ability. I played a little more the next day, and watched a movie the day after that. At this point, I can usually sit through a 2-3 hour play session without getting my brain melted.

It doesn't bother me anymore, and it stopped bothering my wife.

I bought a 3D TV last month, and I have yet to open the glasses, cause I'm leaning towards selling them. Now I'm actually debating on trying it out... What sucks is that I wear glasses, so wearing another pair over them is not my idea of a good time.

[quote name='elessar123']I bought a 3D TV last month, and I have yet to open the glasses, cause I'm leaning towards selling them. Now I'm actually debating on trying it out... What sucks is that I wear glasses, so wearing another pair over them is not my idea of a good time.[/QUOTE]
The glasses I got in my set fit perfectly over mine and my wife's glasses.

[quote name='nbballard']So far the most impressed i've been are De Blob, Killzone 3, and Super Stardust (but honestly, De Blob kind of made me what to throw up). [/quote]

I agree with everything except about de blob throw up thing, looks just amazing to everyone i show it to.

I have to disagree on PoP - while the effect was good, and it did give you a sense of depth, it was hard to play, because the camera wasn't designed for 3D play and it whipped around kind of uncontrollably at times, or when you run around a corner, the old camera is killed and a new one is placed at a better spot in the hallway. It's works pretty good in 2D, but it's a bit jarring in 3D. Also, fights in some of the bigger rooms are always a headache because the columns are constantly passing inbetween you and the camera and they jump out at you funny.

Ahh, you see, ive never played the pop games so i just went by the short time i played two thrones real quick. I plan on finishing the trilogy in order soon tho in 3d, so i'll be sure to give a better review.

Sly review was dead on. I took off my glasses and rechecked all the 3D components to make sure it was even on. The only reason i could tell was because the screen was so distorted.

Yep, such a shame, the game looks SO AMAZING in 2-d tho.

What settings are you using on GT5? I couldn't find anything that worked well in and out of the cockpit.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25591362&postcount=44

To those complaining about headaches- i noticed when i first set-up my TV for 3D i got a headache for the first day or so (really, it made my eyes burn). Based on friends and family that have used it, viewing in 3D appears to (unfortunatly) be a bit of an aquired ability. I played a little more the next day, and watched a movie the day after that. At this point, I can usually sit through a 2-3 hour play session without getting my brain melted.

It doesn't bother me anymore, and it stopped bothering my wife.

The only time i get headaches watching 3-d is when its low framerate 3-d like Black Ops. That game gave me a big headache, as if the PS3 version didnt run bad enough already, divide FPS by 2 and you have the framerate in 3d. Otherwise ive been watching 3d at max and no issues with other content.

[quote name='elessar123']I bought a 3D TV last month, and I have yet to open the glasses, cause I'm leaning towards selling them. Now I'm actually debating on trying it out... What sucks is that I wear glasses, so wearing another pair over them is not my idea of a good time.[/QUOTE]

I also wear glasses, and my LG glasses fit over my stock glasses perfectly. Def do NOT miss out on your 3d experience.

Anyhow, ive been awake for over 24 hours now, and still busy, so i havent tried out MK9 and SOCOM even tho i got both. Ill put out my opinion of those soon along with some misc other 3-d games.

KZ3 is amazing in 3D. It's probably my top gaming experience so far. As you guys mentioned CoD and Sly are pretty bad. I also wasn't a fan of the 3D in Enslaved. GT5 works okay but I'm not a cockpit driver so that's probably why it wasn't better for me.

For movies, I recently watched IMAX: Under the Sea and it was the best 3D movie I've seen so far (too short though). Other good stuff: Bolt, Despicable Me, Grand Canyon Adventure.

Avoid: Resident Evil: Afterlife. It's terrible

Here are a few more games opinions for those interested:

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift 3D - This looks great. The open spaces really lend themselves to the technology. When driving along cliffs, the 3D really adds a sense of scale to the game. Buzzing by bushes and trees was really neat too.

**for those interested, note that you have to buy this on the PSN, the disc version of the game was never patched. I bought the disc on clearance a while ago, and found out that it wasn't the same thing. Luckily, I only spent $5 on it.

Motorstorm: Apocalypse (demo) - The tech is pretty much the same as the last game, but I felt like there was a little more ghosting.

Auditorium HD - The text was hard to read in 3D because of how narrow the letters are. The 3D effect is pretty worthless as well. The background is solid black, so it can't be manipulated by the effect. The other elements feel are slightly in front of the background. Wasn't really worth it.

Mortal Kombat (Demo) - The 3D effect was good, but focused mainly on adding depth to the backgrounds. The fatalities went to a black background, and seemed to ghost a little bit for me. I didn't really enjoy the 3D in this game. I don't know if it was me, my set, or the game but it was hard to follow the movement at times.

Question are there 3D glasses that "cover" the sides/top/bottom? Like goggles? Like if you google "goggles" the first pair that show up, but with black "sides".

I ask because I think 3D is nice, but with 3D glasses, I my eyes always wander to look outside the glasses and it really throws me out of the experience since I see the screen all blurry. At least that was what happened when I watched Avatar in 3D.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Question are there 3D glasses that "cover" the sides/top/bottom? Like goggles? Like if you google "goggles" the first pair that show up, but with black "sides".

I ask because I think 3D is nice, but with 3D glasses, I my eyes always wander to look outside the glasses and it really throws me out of the experience since I see the screen all blurry. At least that was what happened when I watched Avatar in 3D.[/QUOTE]

Depending on your 3d glasses, some are big enough for this to be done. On my LG glasses, they cover the entire area of my stock glasses and look great, but the sides are open at extreme ends, you'd literally have to try and move your eyes there to let it bother you.

Most of the 3D glasses come with the 3D TVs are more like goggles, you can wear them over glasses. Because of that, the 3D glasses are not for kids, they're just too big for them.

Tried out SOCOM and MK9 in 3-d.

Socom might as well have no 3-d mode. The character is 3-d, and i think thats about it. No depth at all and really a monumental waste of time.

MK9 has ok 3-d, i mean, how much 3-d can you have in a fighting game? The backgrounds have good depth to them, and its a neat effect. Nothing amazing.

I watched more 3-d movies however, and Step Up 3-D looks absolutely amazing. Very little ghosting and a nice depth, especially during the water dance scene, i said wow multiple times.

I also went back to frys and purchased the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty for my tv, since i have officially decided to keep it. Now we need more 3-d content lol, i hope Uncharted 3 public demo is in 3-d!!

Showed my GF the list of games with 3D. After both looking at it, we came to the conclusion that there's nothing either of us really wants to play.

The only thing on the list I'm hopeful for is Virtua Tennis 4, which doesn't come out for another month or so.

After a month, the stupid 3D kit remains in its shipping box, unopened. It could be a brick in there for all I know.

P.S. It's the Alice 3D kit. At the store, GF can see 3D with these glasses, but not Panasonic ones. They weren't broken, cause we've tried at several stores with like 2 different TVs and different source materials over the months, and I could always see the 3D with Panasonic ones. I can see with both, so it's actually mind-boggling that she can't see using one set, but can with another.

I ended up with the LG 42PW350, extremely happy with the set. Some people came over last night and i showed them Step Up 3D, Super Stardust HD and some Monsters Vs Aliens 3D and they were extremely impressed. However, for everyone there, there wasnt enough content for them to make a purchase yet, which is 100% understandable of course.

Just keep in mind it is early in the 3D game.

bread's done
Back