3D Playstation Display Bundle back in stock at some Best Buy stores - $160

From the old threads, I would buy a warranty with these screens.

I used mine as a computer monitor and the first one died in 3 days. The second one died after 6 months. Thankfully I bought a 2 year best buy warranty and they returned my money and even credited some of the unused warranty. If you are lucky they might last much longer and the screen does look great, but I had horrible luck with 2 different screens.

It won't work with NVIDIA 3D Vision or 3DTV Play, not sure about TriDef. So when you tire of how bad
... no really it's bad, I know ... I've gone back to it here and there since building my 3DPC ...
restrictive console 3D is and want to move on to something better you won't be doing it on this.

I was already playing with 3D Vision on a 65" DLP when I snagged 2 of these on during Black Friday, the crosstalk was so bad I returned them both, I get none on my DLP ... it's a real shame they stopped making them.

the playstation tvs did work with nvidia 3d you just had to use a edid hack for them to be recognized for the software. I had it working on it. I loved this tv but it died on me in 4 months, luckily I had bought the 2 year warranty got my money back. I just took the money and put it towards a asus vg23ah moniter. Which is awesome have all consoles hooked up to it and comp and still get 3d out of it.

[quote name='Dahk']Havent had any issues with the one I got on Black Friday for $100. I love it[/QUOTE]

Same. Got a 3yr, $200 warranty from SquareTrade just in case though. $14 at the time.

I have 2 as well. Good PC monitor with build in speaker. Only drawback is it's too glossy but as long as you don't sit backing a window, it's fine IMO.

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']3D gaming on consoles really never panned out

I heard killzone 3 is great in 3D but this was one fad that never took off[/QUOTE]

I have a 55" 3D TV, 3D blu-rays when done right can be so immersive. Games on the other hand usually have lower resolution and a good bit of ghosting. Gran turismo 5, halo CEA, and a couple others were decent.

But there's the 3DS, which does a fantastic job with 3D :p it all depends on who you ask. I'd consider one for my bedroom tv.

These are definitely hit or miss. I have an original from when it launched in November 2011 and it has been going strong with no issues whatsoever. I decided to pick up a second one during Black Friday for $100 from Best Buy like many of you did. The one I got on Black Friday ended up dying within a couple months. I love the display but the fact that one died so quickly is somewhat daunting. I would purchase the protection for $20 if you are keen on buying it. When I got it on Black Friday I got the protection because I had a feeling something would happen, guess I was right.

Yeah I bought this during Black Friday for $99 (With warranty of course). 1 month in and it began to drop signal from the video source at random for 3-5 seconds (black screen) before picking up again.
Thankfully I was playing Black Ops 2 and I decided to try and replicate these random drops so I went into Theater Mode and replayed matches where the TV blacked out and just as I thought, the drops occurred on specific spots.
Any bright moments of action generally caused the screen to black out. (Especially when you get hit by a tactical grenade)

So I went into the TV Menu settings, looked at TV Brightness, and turned it down to 6-7, then replayed the matches 6 times each.

Zero drop in signal.

Its now May 18th and I still have this TV and I game on it frequently. But I no longer have any problems with it.
So if you have my issue above, try changing the brightness to 6-7. (Default on Menu is 10 btw.)

Got mine Black Friday. I'm pretty happy for $99.

Overall, it's pretty good, nice picture, but the refresh rate seems lousy. It's really noticeable with deep reds and blacks. I've been playing the Hitman collection and Absolution, and you can easily see the ghosting when flipping through their red and black trophy list icons. I fiddled with the settings to minimize it, but it's still kind of annoying.

I also purchased 2 last year on Black Friday and mine have been working perfect ever since. It really is a great display, after gaming on it you won't want to play on anything else.

[quote name='RedEagleEX']Yeah I bought this during Black Friday for $99 (With warranty of course). 1 month in and it began to drop signal from the video source at random for 3-5 seconds (black screen) before picking up again.
Thankfully I was playing Black Ops 2 and I decided to try and replicate these random drops so I went into Theater Mode and replayed matches where the TV blacked out and just as I thought, the drops occurred on specific spots.
Any bright moments of action generally caused the screen to black out. (Especially when you get hit by a tactical grenade)

So I went into the TV Menu settings, looked at TV Brightness, and turned it down to 6-7, then replayed the matches 6 times each.

Zero drop in signal.

Its now May 18th and I still have this TV and I game on it frequently. But I no longer have any problems with it.
So if you have my issue above, try changing the brightness to 6-7. (Default on Menu is 10 btw.)[/QUOTE]

As RedEagle said, lowering the brightness works wonders. If the screen still blacks out, check the HDMI cables. Any movement of the cables causes the connection to be interrupted.

Mine has been going strong for ~a year.

My Black Friday purchase didn't last me more than a month. It's still sitting here in its box while I use an Asus 24 inch monitor instead.

Mine has lasted about a year so far but it has recently had a dead pixel pop up but its not really noticeable to go returning just yet but it does turn off randomly at least 1 to 2 times a day but comes back on two seconds later. I have a two year warranty on it so if it becomes a more frequent problem I'll be taking it back.

I got one at BF too and it's still working good. It does do that annoying black-screen flickering thing (read some reviews and you will no doubt hear about this) but not too often. Other than that it's a great monitor.

I've only tried 2 3D PS3 games on it, Resistance 3 and Super Stardust. Resistance looked like complete ass (sorry console fans, but jaggly-ass low-FPS games at 720p should not be forced into running in 3D) but Stardust, being more simple and colorful, looked pretty awesome.

Got one during the last BBY dump. Thing crapped out in 4 months, dropping signal. Everyone in that thread came back with the same kind of complaints. Also very very reflective.

Snag an ASUS VH236H instead if you're cool without 3D. Just my two cents.

I bought mine about a year ago and just recently returned it with the warranty I had purchased. It's fine for temporary use.

I have two of these, and both had the random black screen issue. Contacted Sony and got both RMA'd. One of them developed a darkened corner and stuck pixel after a few months, and I had to re-RMA that one. They sent me a replacement this time (different serial) instead of repairing it.

I love the looks and how thin these are, but I don't think I can recommend them unless you're cool w/ doing at least 1 RMA on it (seems pretty guaranteed).

I got this to play a few 3D games and its cheap, but serves its purpose. It obviously too small to be your main gaming screen but the picture is decent.

The only games i've enjoyed in 3d are Ico/SOTC personally. Resistance looks like absolute garbage. It looks like in 3d they use extremely low poly character models. KZ3 its hard to even tell if the 3D effect is there. U3 looks like crap.

Really, only PS2 remasters look decent at all. PS3 just isn't powerful enough to take an image of a current gen game and display it twice. Still worth checking out at this price imo. I got a 4 year warranty, and as soon as i'm ready to get a new TV i'm taking it in.

As an Owner of one for about 8 months I would say I really like this thing and haven't had any troubles with it.

It has blinked on me before but I think that has to do with the auto 3d mode detection glitching or something. Like it thinks that it's not playing a 3d mode gamer or movie because when I switch the in game 3d option it reacts the same way. I did buy the extended warranty as was suggested when I bout it but I just wanted to let others know that I have been very satisfied with this product.

Got 2 of these for $99 each at Xmas for my kids. One died 3 weeks ago. They sent a box in 3 days and it was back in a week and a half. Not bad but waiting for the other one to fail.

[quote name='Tsel']My Black Friday purchase didn't last me more than a month. It's still sitting here in its box while I use an Asus 24 inch monitor instead.[/QUOTE]

You need to contact support, it is still covered by the 1 year warranty from sony... they generally take care of it and send out a refurb for you.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']I got one at BF too and it's still working good. It does do that annoying black-screen flickering thing (read some reviews and you will no doubt hear about this) but not too often. Other than that it's a great monitor.

I've only tried 2 3D PS3 games on it, Resistance 3 and Super Stardust. Resistance looked like complete ass (sorry console fans, but jaggly-ass low-FPS games at 720p should not be forced into running in 3D) but Stardust, being more simple and colorful, looked pretty awesome.[/QUOTE]

FWIW I had one of the high-end ASUS republic of gamers laptops that'll do 3D, I hooked it up to my 3D tv and the PC games aren't that much better. The graphics themselves are better, but 3D? Nah

I got mine during Black Friday last year. I'm on my second warranty repair for this display. The first one was dead-on-arrival with a faulty speaker. I had it about a week and then the screen went bad (blue vertical line). I haven't used it much since so we'll see what happens.

Good luck to those who buy one, they seem to be hit-or-miss.

these are crap. I cant speak to the reliability because i only used mine a couple times then tossed it in the closet. Its one of those crappy 'everything is automatic' TVs. It has a very annoying auto off feature that cant be disabled and has like a 10 second timer. The 3d cant be turned off, it just sits in auto detect mode alll the time. Seriously Sony? No simple 3D on off setting? Considering i dont care about 3d this was quite annoying. It also only does 720p over component, which screwed the plan of using my first gen xbox with it.

Oh the speakers suck, and control button placement is very awkward.

all that crap coupled with all the quality issues i hear about = a big pile of fail. Thank god i only wasted 100 bucks on it. Its too bad because the picture quality isnt bad

[quote name='Abeja']Theres been a few ASUS 24 monitor deals on Newegg and Amazon recently. Got my bro one for 120 after rebate from Newegg a few weeks back and just grabbed me another one for 130 after rebate.

This is the one I got VE247H and has speakers

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EFUOY4/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That said, my $99 dollar one is still working.[/QUOTE]

whats the diff between that and the
ASUS VE248H? they look the same but the VE247H is slightly cheaper. My cousins building a computer here in a few weeks and one of those may be good for him but i cant see what the difference is

Went through 2 of them. Display had flashing red light on the bottom and no display showed. Ended up getting the 24 inch lg that best buy had on Black Friday with the store credit

Even as a PC monitor, $160 for a 1080p 24" display is actually decent, let alone with 3D support. The image quality is fairly disappointing compared to a normal monitor though, but hey, for $99 when I got mine I can't complain. Wish I bought as a second for that price in fact. It's really a pain and in the end not worth it trying to get 3D PC games working with it, but it's decent enough for consoles. Not often to see a display like that with component input either, unless it's an actual HDTV.

Also, at $99 the 4 year warranty was $20, which wasn't too bad.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']I've only tried 2 3D PS3 games on it, Resistance 3 and Super Stardust. Resistance looked like complete ass (sorry console fans, but jaggly-ass low-FPS games at 720p should not be forced into running in 3D) but Stardust, being more simple and colorful, looked pretty awesome.[/QUOTE]
That's because Super Stardust actually runs at 720p native for each eye in 3D mode, while Resistance 3 runs at below 720p to begin with and then is dropped even further from that when playing in 3D mode. Most 3D console games require a hit to resolution and/or framerate to run in 3D, since it basically doubles the rendering requirement (in Super Stardust's case it wasn't as big of a deal because they got the game up to 1080p, so it could do full frame 720p 3D without much trouble).

Got one it failed on me after about 6 months ..got the refurbished one back from sony about a week ago ..whats the story on the refurbished ones are those any better ? Heres hoping im down to 2 months till warranty is done .

I got mine at Best Buy about 6 months ago and it's still running great. I just it as my main PC monitor - and only occasionally with the PS3.

[quote name='Raider209']Got one it failed on me after about 6 months ..got the refurbished one back from sony about a week ago ..whats the story on the refurbished ones are those any better ? Heres hoping im down to 2 months till warranty is done .[/QUOTE]

It's Sony.

That means it will die (again) within the week after your warranty expires.

this TV is Awesome! I got it from Gamestop almost a year ago and use it daily. no probs whatsoever. The blacks are intense.

Wow, sounds like nearly a 100% failure rate on these.

I bought one last summer and it died within three months. Its replacement is still going strong, however. (Knocks on wood.)

My Black Friday one is still going strong. Gorgeous display. Love it .
As one fell already said , knock the brightness down to 7, it will improve the performance and lifespan.
Shadow of the colossus in 3d was a blast!
Just a quick review for those on the fence.

My first one started flickering after 6 months, did an exchange and no problems after that. It's a known issue with Sony, and they know what the problem is. It's rare that people have an issue once they get a replacement sent.

Got this for $99 on Black Friday, sold the Motorstorm game that came with it for $20, very satisfied with it. Quality name brand 24" 1080p 3D monitor for ~$80, can't beat that really. Also bought the Playstation Bluray remote to use with it and it all works great.

After hearing all the horror stories on these I figured mine would be dead by now but it is still working fine and it is almost always on. Was eager to sell it before but it has turned into one of my best value purchases.

bread's done
Back