3D Playstation Display Bundle back in stock at some Best Buy stores - $160

i got mine on black friday from bestbuy with a cheap 2 year warrantee. its still going strong and my games look amazing on it !!! i heard the horror stories so i always keep mine unplugged when not in use instead of keeping it on standby. figured it might help with its lifespan lol

[quote name='Kenshindono'] The 3d cant be turned off, it just sits in auto detect mode alll the time. Seriously Sony? No simple 3D on off setting? Considering i dont care about 3d this was quite annoying. [/QUOTE]

There is literally a button that says 3D. I don't understand how you could miss that considering it shows a layout of all the buttons on screen when you push any of them.

[quote name='Smashingly']There is literally a button that says 3D. I don't understand how you could miss that considering it shows a layout of all the buttons on screen when you push any of them.[/QUOTE]

I don't get it either. It prompts you if a game can run in 3d to use it, so I don't understand what he is complaining about. It never displays 3D for me unless I tell it to.

So has anyone actually found one of these in store these past couple days? The locator says "unavailable" everywhere for me.

Wow I had mine for 2 years or more now I bought a 4 year warranty

[quote name='Rosterking']Is a 24" monitor ok if I sit 5 feet away? I'm thinking of getting an ASUS for my PS3.[/QUOTE]

I have a ASUS VH23 and it's hooked up to my PS3, 360 and laptop. I wouldn't say playing games is good for sitting 5 feet away on it. Watching videos is no problem but playing games I feel like I need a bigger TV. Of course it does depend on certain games. Playing a shooter on a 23in is better a 40in but playing a RPG shouldn't make any difference for what are doing or where you're at.

[quote name='Yigytugd']I have a ASUS VH23 and it's hooked up to my PS3, 360 and laptop. I wouldn't say playing games is good for sitting 5 feet away on it. Watching videos is no problem but playing games I feel like I need a bigger TV. Of course it does depend on certain games. Playing a shooter on a 23in is better a 40in but playing a RPG shouldn't make any difference for what are doing or where you're at.[/QUOTE]
I currently game on what seems to be a 28" that has horrible contrast and brightness at that length. I don't know if thsoe 4" make a difference.

[quote name='kitsunisan']My first one started flickering after 6 months, did an exchange and no problems after that. It's a known issue with Sony, and they know what the problem is. It's rare that people have an issue once they get a replacement sent.[/QUOTE]

DId they ever state what that problem is officially? I didn't buy one of these at 100 b/c it was pretty much guarenteed to fail on me and I did not wat the extra hassle of return/rebuy.

Maybe their next larger model will be better, but no way am I willing to try any of these unless its for 50 bucks, warrenty included.

I personally am looking for a cheap 32 inch passive 3d set.

mine lasted only 1 week and then it died, so sony sent me another one, which lasted another month and died. So, I sent that one in for replacement and the one I got, I sold it on ebay.

This is totally not worth it.

I bought 2 on Black Friday, and mine are both going strong. I use one as a computer monitor, and one as the TV for my PS3 in the other room. The only complaint I have is that they make a faint electrical buzzing noise. Not sure I would risk it for $160, but for $100 I felt it was worth it. I might also note I rarely use the 3D on them. Maybe that's a contributing factor in their breaking down so quickly for some people? Who knows, make of it what you will.

[quote name='nixmahn']DId they ever state what that problem is officially? I didn't buy one of these at 100 b/c it was pretty much guarenteed to fail on me and I did not wat the extra hassle of return/rebuy.

Maybe their next larger model will be better, but no way am I willing to try any of these unless its for 50 bucks, warrenty included.

I personally am looking for a cheap 32 inch passive 3d set.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they even acknowledged officially that there is a problem period, let alone speak to the actual nature of the issue.

I'm on the lookout for a 32 3D" set myself.....

Bought 1 on Black Friday and it's been my primary computer monitor since. I have the 2-3 second blackout issue *occasionally* (I see it maybe once every 2-3 days, and maybe once a month it's pretty spazzy and will do it 2-3 times in an hour), not sure if that's enough to return it though. Maybe when it gets closer to the warranty being up I'll send it back to Sony for a repair.

But overall it's a decent monitor. Not great (much too glossy in some situations, and the text/sharpness needs to be tweaked), but worth $100 for its functionality and maybe $160 if you *really* want the 3d/etc. The 3d effect is great on it, works fine with my Radeon 6950 card and WinDVD for 3d movies, haven't tried any sort of 3d gaming on the PC though. Looks great with the PS3 but honestly I'd rather game on my bigger screen and home theatre than a smaller 3d screen with crappy speakers.

Overall, I'm very happy with my $100 BF purchase. Dunno if I'd go up to $160 but given that I thought it'd be a pile of molten plastic by now it's been great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using one for a computer monitor for awhile now and like it, only thing that is annoying is it shuts off so fast if left unattended.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked one up Black Friday and its been going strong as well. No issues luckily. I purchase the extended warranty just to be safe tho. Only thing was the lack of a remote, but I picked up the universal Xbox one and works great.

Mine died on me out of nowhere. Barely used it. Said no 'input signal', the light on the bottom went from Blue to green then kept flashing red.

Buying this is sadly a crap shoot, which sucks because the display is great (IMO).

Preventative advice I've seen.

1. Keep it plugged in (I'd unplug mine after use for up to 3 weeks, to save on electric)
2. Only use 1 HDMI port (I was using 1 for PS3 & 1 for PC)
3. In settings, make sure Backlight isn't above 5
4. In settings, make sure to keep HDMI Control: Off

People have also mentioned the fan craps out, if you fix that you'll fix this issue.

Some people also mentioned the system (or the PS3) for some reason resets the HDMI input, so it won't show anything, but it's not 'dead'. This happened to me when I got my fixed monitor back.

Hold the PS3 Power button down until you hear 2 beeps. PS3 powers down.
Once again, Hold the PS3 Power button down until you hear 2 beeps.
When the PS3 comes back on, also make sure the TV is on, then you should see the PS3 asking if you want to use HDMI. Click yes.

Either way make sure you keep your receipt!

Sony replaced mine, sent me a box and I sent just the TV back to them.

Been working okay, but now there's a green hue on the right side....yay, time to call Sony again.

I bought one pre-BF and have been using it a lot without issue. I just recently enabled the auto-on HDMI detection or whatever setting it is and have noticed the blackout issue. Before enabling that setting it never did it once. If you have it enabled try turning it off, not saying that is the issue but odd it only does it for me that way.

I wish BB had some in stock near by I really wanted to pick up another one, I love the screen and watch 3d movies all the time. Then again, do I really need a 3d monitor in my bathroom, if only I could tell a teenage version of myself about that....

[quote name='Justin42']Bought 1 on Black Friday and it's been my primary computer monitor since. I have the 2-3 second blackout issue *occasionally* (I see it maybe once every 2-3 days, and maybe once a month it's pretty spazzy and will do it 2-3 times in an hour), not sure if that's enough to return it though. Maybe when it gets closer to the warranty being up I'll send it back to Sony for a repair.

But overall it's a decent monitor. Not great (much too glossy in some situations, and the text/sharpness needs to be tweaked), but worth $100 for its functionality and maybe $160 if you *really* want the 3d/etc. The 3d effect is great on it, works fine with my Radeon 6950 card and WinDVD for 3d movies, haven't tried any sort of 3d gaming on the PC though. Looks great with the PS3 but honestly I'd rather game on my bigger screen and home theatre than a smaller 3d screen with crappy speakers.

Overall, I'm very happy with my $100 BF purchase. Dunno if I'd go up to $160 but given that I thought it'd be a pile of molten plastic by now it's been great.[/QUOTE]

Hate to bring up a 3 day old thread from 4 pages back (I'm doing it anyway) but id like to add my piece.

I bought this monitor when Gamestop dropped the price down to $200 and had no issues until a few months ago. After about 45 minutes of playing my screen would begin to flash about every 10-15 minutes. Well after reading from numerous sites that the issue is usually a heating issue I decided to buy a small desk fan to place behind my monitor. So far after playing Gran Turismo 5 for 4 hours, 1 hour in 3D, I have not had one incident of the screen flashing.

Not a guarantee that if you do the same you wont have an issue but thought id throw that in the mix.

I guess I should post just for the record,

I use it for 3D movies, Comp. Monitor, and to Play PS3 games(mostly non 3d).

My first one lasted about half a year. It had audio issues forcing me to return it to BBY while under the extended warranty($60). They scammed me into another warranty ($60) for the second one because once claimed against all warranties are void unless you buy another one even though it was under a year.

With My second display(2yrs old) I rarely experience screen flicker & audio issues. However, this thing makes one dam fine monitor and was the perfect size for my college dorm making it livable. It's a good product it's just that they used some crappy parts and had weak Q.A. at the factory.

I know for a fact that the first batch(my first one) had significantly greater chance of experiencing technical issues.

bread's done
Back