3D Realms to Close Their Doors

rumor rumor rumor. no hard confirmation yet (that's what she said).

//edit: just saw the latest update. that wasn't posted on kotaku. d'oh.

//edit2: WTF MAX PAYNE 3!? This shouldn't effect it, right? Rockstar's developing it this time, right? Please tell me MP3 isn't effected!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm shocked that it comes as a surprise to anyone. I've been reading the 3drealms forum to catch up on it all. It's really sad to see them talking about losing their forum.

Duke Nukem 3D was a fun game, but not earth-shattering. Outside of the small success of Max Payne and Prey, what else have they done? So many engine changes, so many scraps and redo's.

Supposed ex-employee quote pulled from The Duke Nukem Forever List (http://duke.a-13.net/)

"The 2001 trailer was 100% scripted cinematic, and not actual gameplay. They built specific demo maps just to record video from to make a trailer. Everything you see in that trailer was phony.

The typical work flow there went something like this:
Designer would be assigned a task (build a new map, rebuild an old map, polish a bit of a map, etc.). Designer would work on said task for two, three weeks, a month, all the while lower management would be looking over it and making sure it was going in a "good general direction." Designer would move on to another task. A month or two later upper management would finally look at the work and say, "It's all wrong, do it again." Rinse, repeat."

Sad to see another developer go....but I don't think Duke Nukem Forever was ever going to come out. Or if it did, it was only going to get coverage ala Chinese Democracy. I don't think it was going to sell Halo level numbers.

Wow... and this means no Prey 2! :( I'm one of the few who thought Prey was AMAZINGLY FUN. Hopefully, someone else buys the IP and continues the work... kind of like Deus Ex 3.

Yeah, Prey was gr8 too, what a shame. I don't remember hearing they were having problems either, it was just out of the blue. What a shame, I hope someone else picks these two titles up and runs with them.

bread's done
Back