3ds advice

Trendkill_333

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Finally going to pick up a 3ds since Poke X/Y is out.

I like the price and how the 2ds feels in my hands, but how much will I be missing out on without the 3d?

I want it mainly for the new pokemon but im worried with games like super mario 3d or LOZ: OOT that the mechanics may be frustrating at times because they were designed to be 3d. any thoughts/personal experiences?

The 3D is not important.  I've been checking them out and I think it's really whether or not you like the feel of it.  The 3DS has the ability to fold up and take up less space in your backpack, but it could also break the hinge.  So if that's not important to you then I think the 2DS is a fine choice.  Most people turn off the 3D feature.

It's not a big deal. It's not like I can't play Ocarina of Time without it. I know that people have said that they can't play Starfox 3D and Kid Icarus without it, but that's just stupid. It's like saying you can't play any Playstation game with 3D models because there is no stereoscopic 3D.

Kid Icarus Uprising with Level 9 Difficulty is no problem for me and I can't see the stereoscopic 3D.

Lack of 3d isn't a big deal as I keep it off most of the time anyway. I personally wouldn't buy a 3ds other than an XL as I hate the small screens on the original and 2ds. I'm just not huge into portable gaming though as I don't game on the go much and it's hard to get motivated to play a portable at home vs a console game on the big screen and surround sound.

Lack of 3d isn't a big deal as I keep it off most of the time anyway. I personally wouldn't buy a 3ds other than an XL as I hate the small screens on the original and 2ds. I'm just not huge into portable gaming though as I don't game on the go much and it's hard to get motivated to play a portable at home vs a console game on the big screen and surround sound.
That's exactly why I'm moving to portables. I played PC 90% of the time but as my time constraints got worse, I moved to consoles more. I was about 80% console and 20% PC until my lifestyle changed more and I couldn't afford spending any time fine tuning the pc anymore. So I was console exclusively the last few years until now I can't get more than a night or two. Now my free time is on the road so I'm moving to portables. I went to tablet but I miss the physical buttons, now I'm going to be using a 3DS. (I have to credit my kid with making me pick the 3DS over Vita). It's funny how our gaming changes as our lives change but we rarely stop gaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mostly use the portable consoles and that's what I used second to PC back when I played PC.

Anyway, Nintendo refurbished is like the same price as the 2DS with the tax and shipping. You can turn off the 3D in the settings so you don't accidentally enable it while playing by touching the slider. The downside is pressing A again when starting the game to confirm no 3D.

I mostly use the portable consoles and that's what I used second to PC back when I played PC.

Anyway, Nintendo refurbished is like the same price as the 2DS with the tax and shipping. You can turn off the 3D in the settings so you don't accidentally enable it while playing by touching the slider. The downside is pressing A again when starting the game to confirm no 3D.
Did not know that feature in the setting. The slider on the 3DS is annoying, it doesn't click on the off setting like in the XL.

I would, honestly go with a 3DS XL. Black friday should bring price down since you are going to wait anyways. Considering target dropped price down considerably already in a sale earlier this year it can easily be said it will happen again, and possibly lower.

Why the XL?

Firstly, the 2DS is not just a 3D'less 3DS. It feels much cheaper, it only has mono sound, and its screen throws you back to the tiny tiny 3DS OG screen. I bought one for my little sibling since they wanted a portable console and its something I wouldnt feel bad over him breaking versus a precious XL.

The folding design is not bad at all, it protects all the important parts, for what, the sake of the bezel? Ive had my XL in a custom painted clear case (the one you get for $2 online) and Ive dropped my XL alot at conventions, trust me I freak out over my case breaking (considering its custom painted by someone on etsy from the UK) then my xl breaking.

If the bezel did end up cracking, its $30 and a screw driver away from repairing.

SCREEN SIZE SCREEN SIZE!

Try the vita, try the XL. then ty the OG 3DS or 2DS you will be disgusted by the OG 3DS/2DS.  The tiny butt screen isnt worth the trouble.

Get XL, enjoy the epic large screen, and all the bells and whistles to keep you happy. because even with its tinybutt screen 2DS takes up more room.

Cant shove that sucker in butt pocket, noway. 3DS/XL you can even though it feels like your lugging a tiny brick but.....yea.... I rather spend $30~50 more then spending $200 later because I squinted so much while gaming.

ALSO in the XL if you have bigger hands they wont cramp up as easy if you ever played DS Lite, DSi, etc and had that issue. I experienced it alittle on the 2DS and I have tiny hands.

As for 3D, its a nice option to have. I have it off 98% of time, I used it in Fire Emblem alot. and I use it in Pokemon when I want to see my fights look more epic but I keep it off all the time otherwise. Sometimes though keeping the 3D on lowest settings gives the game a slight "pop out" which isnt like WHOA OMG QQ 3D DIZZYNESS but gives it a nicer overall look. but...battery...goes off~o.  Playtime before prettyness.

I like having the 3D. For games like Luigi's Mansion & Super Mario 3D Land, I find my self switched between 2D/3D. Sometimes, the 3D depth really helps me in some parts of 3D Land.

Also, found this really cool gem called SpeedX 3D. It's cheap and a fun quick pick up.

When I see that 2DS in store, I LOL inside. Can't imagine playing on that tiny screen! I did try a 3DS before, but I don't remember how that tiny screen experience was.

You're really not missing much. The 3D feature is more of a gimmick. The 3D varies depending on the game. It looks great in Mario Kart 7, however, I only use 3D for a few minutes at a time.

bread's done
Back