3DS Ambassador games available now!

[quote name='sayu']If I understand right, if these games are ever updated to 3D, we get the 3D versions for free also.[/QUOTE]

orly? that's pretty cool.

[quote name='confoosious']orly? that's pretty cool.[/QUOTE]

I know we get to update to the final versions with extra features. Hopefully that includes 3D, though I don't know for sure.

[quote name='cag1000']Question...Will the card that came with the system be able to hold all 20 of the free games?[/QUOTE]

Easily. I only have the standard 2 GB card, and even with all of the free software and two other titles, I'm barely using any space.

[quote name='sayu']If I understand right, if these games are ever updated to 3D, we get the 3D versions for free also.[/QUOTE]

i doubt they will ever be updated with 3d. if any of these first party nintendo games are updated with 3d, they will be sold for msrp $39.99

i guess you can say the upcoming super mario 3d is an updated super mario bros in 3d?

[quote name='frpilot']i doubt they will ever be updated with 3d. if any of these first party nintendo games are updated with 3d, they will be sold for msrp $39.99

i guess you can say the upcoming super mario 3d is an updated super mario bros in 3d?[/QUOTE]

I think he's referring to the 3D Classics stuff that has been released in the eShop where they take an old NES game (so far Excitebike, Xevious, and Urban Champion) and add 3D effects to make it pop a bit more. Kind of interesting, but I haven't been willing to drop the $7 or $8 for it, I can't remember exactly how much they cost.

[quote name='frpilot']i doubt they will ever be updated with 3d. if any of these first party nintendo games are updated with 3d, they will be sold for msrp $39.99

i guess you can say the upcoming super mario 3d is an updated super mario bros in 3d?[/QUOTE]

No, I think s/he was referring to the 3D treatment Xevious, Excitebike, and Urban Champions received.

It doesn't take that much work to add 3D. They released Excitebike for free.

Edit: Yeah, 3D Classics is what I meant.

[quote name='sayu']It doesn't take that much work to add 3D. They released Excitebike for free.

Edit: Yeah, 3D Classics is what I meant.[/QUOTE]

It's not as easy as you think. It's not so much adding 3D as converting an entire game into 3D:

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/13/nsight-into-how-3d-classics-xevious-was-developed/

Also, Excitebike 3D's launch was a limited promotional giveaway that was used to promote the eShop and 3DS downloadable games, not to show how "easy" it was to convert the game.

[quote name='sayu']It doesn't take that much work to add 3D. They released Excitebike for free.

Edit: Yeah, 3D Classics is what I meant.[/QUOTE]

Actually, Nintendo says it does take a lot of work to add 3D. That's why they only have plans for six 3D classics at the moment.

In a discussion with Nintendo president Satoru Iwata, 3DS software planner Takao Nakano noted that simply applying 3D effects to older games is far more challenging than even Nintendo anticipated...Nakano told Iwata that the result was a game that took almost 20 times the original intended development time.
http://ds.ign.com/articles/118/1181847p1.html

And these NES games are only going to have the following features added at a later date (parity with eShop release):

- A full electronic manual detailing all gameplay features and modes
- Simultaneous multiplayer on multiple systems in games that support it (like Ice Climbers)
- Restore Point function (as used in Game Boy VC games just now, it lets you create a save point as you play the game and come back to it if you mess up)
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/29448/3ds-ambassador-game-features-detailed/

[quote name='Jodou']You'd have a point if this wasn't in the wrong forum.
Quite the contrary: I'm sick of people posting updates about it like this forum is a god damn twitter account.[/QUOTE]

You should consider using the "Report Post" feature if you feel a thread is against the rules/posted on the wrong forum. This will take less effort from you and will "fix" the "problem".

[quote name='NeoGutsman']It's not as easy as you think. It's not so much adding 3D as converting an entire game into 3D:

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/13/nsight-into-how-3d-classics-xevious-was-developed/

Also, Excitebike 3D's launch was a limited promotional giveaway that was used to promote the eShop and 3DS downloadable games, not to show how "easy" it was to convert the game.[/QUOTE]

I never said it was "easy." I'm just saying it doesn't take as much work as a full MSRP $39.99 3DS game would warrant. I imagine the team that redid the artwork and coding was fairly small.

[quote name='Jodou']You'd have a point if this wasn't in the wrong forum.
Quite the contrary: I'm sick of people posting updates about it like this forum is a god damn twitter account.[/QUOTE]

Truth.:applause:

[quote name='Dranakin']Actually, Nintendo says it does take a lot of work to add 3D. That's why they only have plans for six 3D classics at the moment.

And these NES games are only going to have the following features added at a later date (parity with eShop release):

- Simultaneous multiplayer on multiple systems in games that support it (like Ice Climbers)
- Restore Point function (as used in Game Boy VC games just now, it lets you create a save point as you play the game and come back to it if you mess up)
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/29448/3ds-ambassador-game-features-detailed/[/QUOTE]

Having a manual would be pretty helpful. Took me a while to figure out how work the swing mechanism in Golf.

[quote name='pholly']3 great games and a bunch of crap, that's worth $80....[/QUOTE]

Another whiny bitch. As people have stated you get GBA games and as a CAG if you were not an early adaptor and paid $249 you're an idiot. Most of us here were able to get the system for $170 + tax and get in on Ambassador's program, so basically the 20 games actually make 3DS system purchase under $100. Sorry you're not interested in 3DS, but as I stated in the Walmart price drop thread (Thanks CheapyD) this is by far one of the best deals early on in a hand helds lifecycle.

Also thanks OP for posting this info.:D

[quote name='neudog']Another whiny bitch. As people have stated you get GBA games and as a CAG if you were not an early adaptor and paid $249 you're an idiot. Most of us here were able to get the system for $170 + tax and get in on Ambassador's program, so basically the 20 games actually make 3DS system purchase under $100. Sorry you're not interested in 3DS, but as I stated in the Walmart price drop thread (Thanks CheapyD) this is by far one of the best deals early on in a hand helds lifecycle.

Also thanks OP for posting this info.:D[/QUOTE]

Sorry to burst your bubble, but 20 free old NES and GBA games don't "make the system purchase under $100"; you still paid either $250 or $170, and Nintendo threw those games in because they are desperate to move 3DS systems. If the hardware is still of no interest, it doesn't matter how may free games they throw in; it still isn't worth it. And I agree with Jodou and Gargus, this isn't a "deal", just news about the "Ambassador Program", and it belongs in the 3DS forums.

Even though I still have my old NES and GBASP, and played many of these games on them, the idea of replaying them in a tiny, crappily emulated screen really has no appeal at all. These games probably wouldn't sell for a penny more than 99 cents on the Android/iOS market, so don't make them out to be worth tons of money; they just aren't.

[quote name='Dranakin']Actually, Nintendo says it does take a lot of work to add 3D. That's why they only have plans for six 3D classics at the moment.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/29448/3ds-ambassador-game-features-detailed/[/QUOTE]

Nintendo also thought it was too much work to animate Peach's dress in order to add her as a playable character in NSMB Wii. I just don't think the work needed here justifies a $40 price tag. My post should have read more clearly as: It doesn't take THAT much work to redo the game in 3D.

The post was a misunderstanding anyway. Thanks for setting me straight on how these games will be updated, though. Darn, I was looking forward to Zelda in 3D.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Sorry to burst your bubble, but 20 free old NES and GBA games don't "make the system purchase under $100"; you still paid either $250 or $170, and Nintendo threw those games in because they are desperate to move 3DS systems. If the hardware is still of no interest, it doesn't matter how may free games they throw in; it still isn't worth it. And I agree with Jodou and Gargus, this isn't a "deal", just news about the "Ambassador Program", and it belongs in the 3DS forums.

Even though I still have my old NES and GBASP, and played many of these games on them, the idea of replaying them in a tiny, crappily emulated screen really has no appeal at all. These games probably wouldn't sell for a penny more than 99 cents on the Android/iOS market, so don't make them out to be worth tons of money; they just aren't.[/QUOTE]

also Last i heard the 10 GBA games was Unknown when they are coming out... Last i heard was before the end of the year but i Wouldnt hold my breath on that..

Nintendo should of just gave everyone 4000 free points instead of 20 games

Nice to be able to play NES games on a handheld and not be breaking the law.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Sorry to burst your bubble, but 20 free old NES and GBA games don't "make the system purchase under $100"; you still paid either $250 or $170, and Nintendo threw those games in because they are desperate to move 3DS systems. If the hardware is still of no interest, it doesn't matter how may free games they throw in; it still isn't worth it. And I agree with Jodou and Gargus, this isn't a "deal", just news about the "Ambassador Program", and it belongs in the 3DS forums.

Even though I still have my old NES and GBASP, and played many of these games on them, the idea of replaying them in a tiny, crappily emulated screen really has no appeal at all. These games probably wouldn't sell for a penny more than 99 cents on the Android/iOS market, so don't make them out to be worth tons of money; they just aren't.[/QUOTE]

My $100 price on the system was based off pholly's $80 comment about the cost of the downloads. Also like most negative people here you too chimpmeister fail to grasp that Nintendo didn't have to do a damn thing. All you morons devalue this because you own the games or it wasn't 10 free 3DS retail titles. Grow the fuck up! I own most of these on NES/GB cartridge, but it is nice to have them in digital form for "FREE". Just because you all don't want, can't afford or dislike Nintendo does not mean a damn thing. This site is to help those find a good deal. Most here, with the help of Cheapy D, were able to get the only 3D Handheld console at a good price with 20 FREE games for $170 + tax right now. Everyone here knows like all handhelds the 3DS will one day be cheaper, but this is a good deal this early on.

[quote name='jer7583']Nice to be able to play NES games on a handheld and not be breaking the law.[/QUOTE]

I can't get Judas Priest out of my head after reading this.

Downloaded the games, Balloon Fight brings back so many memories.

[quote name='david12795']this ambassador deal just sweeten the deal for me seeing as a i bought a 3ds on amazon for $108, cant beat that :D[/QUOTE]

That's it? I got mine for $6 new.

[quote name='menikmati']I can't get Judas Priest out of my head after reading this.

Downloaded the games, Balloon Fight brings back so many memories.[/QUOTE]

Well dammit, now I can't get Judas Priest out of MY head after reading this!

I am very happy to have my 10 free games! It's cool as hell to have these games on the go.

[quote name='neudog']My $100 price on the system was based off pholly's $80 comment about the cost of the downloads. Also like most negative people here you too chimpmeister fail to grasp that Nintendo didn't have to do a damn thing. All you morons devalue this because you own the games or it wasn't 10 free 3DS retail titles. Grow the fuck up! I own most of these on NES/GB cartridge, but it is nice to have them in digital form for "FREE". Just because you all don't want, can't afford or dislike Nintendo does not mean a damn thing. This site is to help those find a good deal. Most here, with the help of Cheapy D, were able to get the only 3D Handheld console at a good price with 20 FREE games for $170 + tax right now. Everyone here knows like all handhelds the 3DS will one day be cheaper, but this is a good deal this early on.[/QUOTE]

man, Chimpmeister trolls every single Nintendo thread. Don't feed him.

[quote name='crupp']Aww man... no save states on the nes games. That makes me sad.[/QUOTE]
Just press Home and then Close to save your games.

[quote name='sayu']Nintendo also thought it was too much work to animate Peach's dress in order to add her as a playable character in NSMB Wii.[/QUOTE]

...no

The problem in NSMB Wii was that Peach always floats in her dress, so either they'd have to change something that's well established and expected, or unbalance the characters.

I believe Nintendo said they will add save states to the NES games at a later time. Have yet to get my free games as I need to wait till I get home.

[quote name='o_O']...no

The problem in NSMB Wii was that Peach always floats in her dress, so either they'd have to change something that's well established and expected, or unbalance the characters.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, my statement was conjecture, but so is yours.

Quote from Miyamoto:
"Originally, I thought it would be nice if we could have Princess Peach in there as a playable character. But in fact, the Toad characters have a physical that's a little big closer to Mario and Luigi. In particular, if we had one character out of the four that wore a dress, we would have to have a special processing and programming to handle how the skirt is handled within the gameplay."

No talk of unbalancing gameplay. This quote could go either way.

[quote name='crupp']Aww man... no save states on the nes games. That makes me sad.[/QUOTE]

It'll be coming later.

This release was basically just a rush to get something in our hands. The full VC versions will come later and we'll get a free update on the titles when they do.

i really want metroid 2, we already have metroid as zero mission, an unlockable in prime, the nes classic gba cart, and the wii vc.

where the hell is metroid 2 ninty!?

[quote name='b3b0p']i really want metroid 2, we already have metroid as zero mission, an unlockable in prime, the nes classic gba cart, and the wii vc.

where the hell is metroid 2 ninty!?[/QUOTE]

It's been confirmed for Q4 release, along with Mario Land 2. Probably $4 each.

[quote name='renique46']sigh why the fuck is this still in VG deals.[/QUOTE]

Just to piss you off :roll:

Seriously though. Thanks for the Heads up OP. Enjoying my games already :)

[quote name='renique46']sigh why the fuck is this still in VG deals.[/QUOTE]

Same reason you felt the need to complain about it twice in 3 hours, just because it can.

[quote name='twztid13']thanks, man. i guess they may have been there earlier, but i wasn't aware of the steps to take to download (i never go to links provided unless they are from amazon to order a game that got a price cut that i was unaware of).

this should be posted in the OP, imho. thanks for the link, OP (no pun intended, lol)![/QUOTE]

Well I'm absolutely fine with him quoting my post right into the OP.

[quote name='omyard']Same reason you felt the need to complain about it twice in 3 hours, just because it can.[/QUOTE]

yea my bad I forgot ;) , heaven forbid i thought this was the section for vg deals but then again i totally forgot its Nintendo related so it gets a pass. Ill be sure to remember next time DOH!

[quote name='renique46']yea my bad I forgot ;) , heaven forbid i thought this was the section for vg deals but then again i totally forgot its Nintendo related so it gets a pass. Ill be sure to remember next time DOH![/QUOTE]

heaven forbid you just ignore the thread if you didn't like it.

Best part about mixing old game with new technology:

Using Game Notes to write down my Metroid code :D

--

Oh, and here's some interesting info about the Ambassador game saves. Take this with a grain of salt and know that I'm just the messenger, not the writer ;D:

http://purenintendo.com/2011/08/31/psa-3ds-ambassador-games-do-not-save-once-3ds-is-turned-off/

It's poorly written but this is what I made of it: As long as you don't shut your 3DS down your NES games should resume from where you left off. To be safe, you should exit a NES game by tapping the Home button then tapping [Close] on the lower screen. If you don't do this then shutting down your system will reset your NES game data. Keeping your system on standby shouldn't affect your game states.

I haven't tested out the reset myself because I'm a lazy bastard and I don't want to ruin my current Metroid progress :D

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='renique46']yea my bad I forgot ;) , heaven forbid i thought this was the section for vg deals but then again i totally forgot its Nintendo related so it gets a pass. Ill be sure to remember next time DOH![/QUOTE]

[quote name='confoosious']heaven forbid you just ignore the thread if you didn't like it.[/QUOTE]

He'll just keep on trolling since there's nothing better to do. Contradictory speaking, he doesn't have this attitude on the wrestling thread.

Why are you guys feeding the troll, might as well ignore him. It's not like he contributes anything helpful to CAG, this isn't the first time he's come out to bash on something Nintendo related.

On the brighter side, I downloaded my games and I can't wait to get the 3D renditions of the game when they are available. What is the point of the Ambassador video?

bread's done
Back