3DS... Buy it now or wait...

Randolph4233

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Ok CAG'ers, I need some advice from the 3DS owners. Here's the situation, I have about $200 in BBY gift cards, and about $200 in GameStop giftcards. My questions are:

1) do I buy a 3DS XL now from one place, and then buy a bunch of games from the other? Or should I wait for some sort of a deal on the system or games, since there really aren't any deals this week?

2) What games do you recommend? I really don't care about the whole 3D effect, but I want to get:
- Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- Mario Kart 7
- Star Fox 64
- New Super Mario Bros 2
- Super Mario 3D Land

Any other recommendations?

3) Have there been many deals on the 3DS XL yet?

I would wait; Kmart's deal where it was either a $35 or $40 gaming coupon was the best deal so far. I just saw someone post a TRU two day deal where they are offering $20 Gift card. I understand you have credit at BB and GS so many best buy will PM that?

If you don't need to have it now I would wait until BF as at least on retailer will end up having a $30+ added value package (meaning they'll either include a gift card or game). I remember last november buy had the original 3DS on sale for $130 when it almost never dipped below the new MSRP of $169.99.

As far as games I would wait for B2G1's or similar promotions unless you must have the games now. I don't think the Mario titles will dip much so if you can pick them up for $25-$30 that is a pretty solid deal.

Also I'm not sure if you're into Resident Evil games but Revelations is just $19.99 at a bunch of retailers and that game is one of my favorites next to Super Mario 3D Land and NSMB2

[quote name='Rasen']Buy games now, wait until there's a game you absolutely MUST play before buying the system.[/QUOTE]

only if they are on major discount.. no reason to run out and buy a day 1 game for 40 if your not going to buy the system for 6 months and then game is 20 or less

i have yet to run across a must play game on the 3ds that the DSI can not play (then again mostly into rpgs and very few rpgs on the 3ds)

There will be plenty of chances to get games for cheap (B2 G1s and such) coming up soon. It wouldn't hurt to go grab an XL and one or two game right now, though.

My recommendations are:

Super Mario 3D Land (A really, really good 3D Mario game)
New Super Mario Bros 2 (Best in the series)
The Legend of Zelda OOT (Only if you feel like playing it again)
Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy (You will like it a lot more if you are a fan of FF, but this game is extremely enjoyable and strangely addicting)
Resident Evil: Revelations (This is the most solid RE game there has been in quite a while It's worth noting that you'll need the circle pad for this one.)
Kid Icraus Uprising (The controls take some getting used to, but it's a fantastic game with a lot of content and fun online)
Mario Kart 7 (Standard Mario Kart fare, just better. It's also worth noting that the online mode is quite nice.
Lastly... Tales of the Abyss (This is my favorite JRPG of all time, and I am obsessively into the genre. It has by far the best character development of any RPG. To go with that, it has a really fun combat system [like all Tales games] and a ton of content. It is just a great game.)

I hope that some part of this was actually helpful to you! lol

Seeing as its only a little over a month and half till black friday, I would definitely wait it out until black friday to get 3ds or 3DS XL (i prefer the XL)

as for games you pretty much nailed the good ones:
RE Revelations
Mario Kart 7
Super Mario 3d land
New Super Mario Bros 2
StarFox 64
Zelda OOT
Steel Diver- lol JK do not get steel diver

I would wait for a deal since Black Friday is right around the corner and there is bound to be some kind of promotion in the next couple of weeks.

Keep an eye out for Best Buy's deal of the day, I believe they had Kid Icarus once so they might have another 3DS game present in a future sale.

I second Tales of the Abyss. Great battle system and the story grows on you. If you are into Kingdom Hearts there is also KH: DDD.

Also, to be a complete dick about this... it's CAGs. I'm a CAG. You're a CAG.

CAGers = Cheapassgamerers

[quote name='slidecage']only if they are on major discount.. no reason to run out and buy a day 1 game for 40 if your not going to buy the system for 6 months and then game is 20 or less

i have yet to run across a must play game on the 3ds that the DSI can not play (then again mostly into rpgs and very few rpgs on the 3ds)[/QUOTE]

If there's a game you expect to become hard to find, there's a reason.

Buy it at blackfriday, better now than later. You might not play it alot, mine collects ALOT of dust and Ive owned it since launch. I occasionaly play mario kart but thats about it. I beat Mario land, and im not to big of a fan of Kid icarus.

Im just waiting for Smash now I guess. I paid $250 back in the day, so $170 is nothing. And I remember last holiday stores were selling it for as low as $130 so wait till black friday.

If there's no games you're frothing to have, just wait on it- otherwise you'll be out the gift cards and have a fancy paperweight for it.

If, when there is a deal, it doesn't great to you, keep waiting- I jumped on the first Vita deal that came along when I got mine, even though I didn't really want Wipeout or the case. I played it a bit, then basically put it away until Gravity Rush came out. Shortly thereafter, there was a deal where I could've gotten the memory card and Gravity Rush for free- I should've pushed aside the "I wants" and waited for that deal, since it was stuff I actually wanted.

Basically, wait for a great game to make the deal, instead of using the deal to justify the game.

If you can wait, buy on Black Friday. Last year I got a Xbox 250GB for $200 on Microsoft Store and PS3 for $200 on Amazon. Chances are a good deal with a discount or a free game will come your way. As for the games, I really enjoyed Mutant Muds and Pushmo on the eShop. Also look out for the new Paper Mario game, that looks great. I have not played Mario 3D Land yet but I've heard nothing but great things about that game.

Also, make sure you get the Blue 3DS XL. Blue is the best color.

bread's done
Back