3DS games Shin Megami Tensei 4 + Projext x Zone LE

Liquid Metal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
44 (100%)
http://www.amazon.com/Shin-Megami-Tensei-IV-nintendo-3ds/dp/B00C1ZBFTW/ref=pd_bxgy_vg_img_y

First print editions come with a ton of cool bonuses. Given that its an atlus release, these could become super rare to find. Think of it like radiant historia first print. Gamestop preorders get some special dlc code.

http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/games/project-x-zone-limited-edition/107703

I don't see amazons listing saying its anything about it being a Limited Edition version. Gamestop has it with special packagaing, soundtrack and other little things.

They are both MSRP but who knows how long you have to secure yourself these copies. Don't wait on the shin megami preorder in my opinion.

I've read that other retailers will be getting dlc codes also.

As for the Project x Zone I still have in pre-ordered at Amazon but it hasn't been update showing the LE and every copy pre-ordered is supposed to be upgraded to the LE.

[quote name='slidecage']how is this even close to being a video game deal[/QUOTE]

It's close in that it meets 50% of the requirements to be a video game deal; it is a video game, just not a deal on one.

[quote name='slidecage']how is this even close to being a video game deal[/QUOTE]

because when everyone doesn't preorder and then is looking for one, they wont have to pay $100 dollars for it.

I said it wasn't a deal. I just found about it and wanted to get the word out. I guarantee if you don't preorder this you will miss out. Atlus will reprint the game but not the extras and especially the guide.

Well - honestly - it will turn out like Tales of Xillia. In which you sit and sit, then before you know it, it's gone and you will have to be hopeful for a restock.

Went ahead and pre-ordered both, along with Muramasa Rebirth L.E. Not gonna be in my new place/area till the end of next month, and I don't want to miss out on any of them.

Also whats up with the release date for Project X Zone? It shows August 31st, with 2 Day Delivery (Release date) shows September 3rd, but the official release date is like June 25th

I've had SMT IV pre-ordered since it was available on Amazon. Probably gonna cancel my order and reorder the pre-order so I don't miss out on the LE set. That whole Dark Souls LE fiasco has me doing this every time.

[quote name='diazt350']I've read that other retailers will be getting dlc codes also.

As for the Project x Zone I still have in pre-ordered at Amazon but it hasn't been update showing the LE and every copy pre-ordered is supposed to be upgraded to the LE.[/QUOTE]

I hope so. That "GS" in the center of his chest in the photo looks terrible. But then again, the Amazon preorder bonus is reskin of their shipping boxes and labels.

EB games in Canada has an okay looking one.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Went ahead and pre-ordered both, along with Muramasa Rebirth L.E. Not gonna be in my new place/area till the end of next month, and I don't want to miss out on any of them.

Also whats up with the release date for Project X Zone? It shows August 31st, with 2 Day Delivery (Release date) shows September 3rd, but the official release date is like June 25th[/QUOTE]

I'm still debating to pre-order Muramasa for the L.E. but I don't know when I'm even getting a vita.

[quote name='Jack_Frost']hope BB does something special with the pre-order like a reward zone cert[/QUOTE]

It doesn't appear to be a game they will carry in store, at least as of now. In store pick up has been disabled. Maybe I will stop by tomorrow and see if I can do a preorder in store with that sku.

Edit: it would be a first time if they did in fact do that.

Lol at missing out on the SMT extra's if you don't preorder. Radiant Historia and Strange Journey took almost a year before they even got another printing with no CD.

So no, that's not going to happen. I can still go in any store here and get the boxed version of Etrian 4 or Soul Hackers, which I obviously didn't preorder.

[quote name='Smashingly']Lol at missing out on the SMT extra's if you don't preorder. Radiant Historia and Strange Journey took almost a year before they even got another printing with no CD.

So no, that's not going to happen. I can still go in any store here and get the boxed version of Etrian 4 or Soul Hackers, which I obviously didn't preorder.[/QUOTE]

But a new SMT is a different breed.

Never know how this will pan out exactly.

[quote name='smashingly']lol at missing out on the smt extra's if you don't preorder. Radiant historia and strange journey took almost a year before they even got another printing with no cd.

So no, that's not going to happen. I can still go in any store here and get the boxed version of etrian 4 or soul hackers, which i obviously didn't preorder.[/quote]

qft.

[quote name='MugenNoKaze']Why does SMTIV retail for 49.99?

I thought all 3DS games retail for 39.99?

Lame.[/QUOTE]

All the bonuses? It's essentially a CE.

[quote name='Smashingly']Lol at missing out on the SMT extra's if you don't preorder. Radiant Historia and Strange Journey took almost a year before they even got another printing with no CD.

[/QUOTE]

Lol no. Radiant Historia came out in February and by April it was pretty hard to find a box version (sold out on amazon and gamesotp, only smaller site like gohasting has it). It was gone in months, not a year

[quote name='Smashingly']So no, that's not going to happen. I can still go in any store here and get the boxed version of Etrian 4 or Soul Hackers, which I obviously didn't preorder.[/QUOTE]

Etrian and soul hackers are your standard atlus release. Game + soundtrack and not much else. This comes with a 174 page guide, soundtrack, slipcase, and the game. You are basically buying the guide for the extra $10 and its not going to get reprinted. You might be able to find it after release, ok, but not for cheaper than msrp. So why not secure a copy now? Its a no brainer.

Huh, I have Project X Zone pre-ordered through Amazon already, hopefully they update their page to include the goodies.

I'm kicking myself for not getting this when it was in my Gold Box along with Project X Zone. I've been checking every day since. I've never played a SMT game, just Persona, but would really like to build my 3DS collection.

[quote name='Liquid Metal']Etrian and soul hackers are your standard atlus release. Game + soundtrack and not much else. This comes with a 174 page guide, soundtrack, slipcase, and the game. You are basically buying the guide for the extra $10 and its not going to get reprinted. You might be able to find it after release, ok, but not for cheaper than msrp. So why not secure a copy now? Its a no brainer.[/QUOTE]

Well, that depends if you care about the CE contents. If you are a more typical gamer who just wants to play the game and purchase a sealed copy at a decent price, then no, $50 isn't a good deal at all, especially for a 3ds game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JediDeath']Hmm, even if I am on the fence with PXZ, I should probably still pre-order it, shouldn't I?[/QUOTE]
If you're on the fence, don't bother and wait for a price drop if you really want to play it. Bought the JP version when it came out and the game is highly flawed, bombed in sales in Japan and met with mediocre/bad reception.

Preordered both on Amazon.
I'm hoping that Amazon will upgrade Project X Zone to LE since I Gamestop likes to cancel my orders without telling me...

Isn't the guide just a starter guide? It's not a guide that covers the entire game.

I wish Atlus and retailers would do eshop versions of this, either having downloadable versions of the extras or, better yet, just take the game out and put it a download code for the game. If the eshop version is $49.99 that will set a poor precedent.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Isn't the guide just a starter guide? It's not a guide that covers the entire game.

I wish Atlus and retailers would do eshop versions of this, either having downloadable versions of the extras or, better yet, just take the game out and put it a download code for the game. If the eshop version is $49.99 that will set a poor precedent.[/QUOTE]

Considering the guide is about 176 pages isn't that bad for an extra $10. I think the eshop will still be $40 since this is being treated as a LE I think.

[quote name='proKoyeon']What kind of game is this Project X Zone? I haven't heard much about it.[/QUOTE]

It's a huge crossover between 3(?) companies. It's a fighting game.

[quote name='StryderOmega']It's a huge crossover between 3(?) companies. It's a fighting game.[/QUOTE]

interesting, not a big fan of fighters on handhelds but I appreciate it

[quote name='Chrono Gear']It's close in that it meets 50% of the requirements to be a video game deal; it is a video game, just not a deal on one.[/QUOTE]

Preorder information on games is always popping up on CAG and no one seems to mind so I don't see why this is any different.

[quote name='proKoyeon']interesting, not a big fan of fighters on handhelds but I appreciate it[/QUOTE]

PXZ isn't a fighting game, it's a tactics game, similar to Fire Emblem. It just looks like a fighting game when you go into battles. I'm pretty sure it's not a button masher like most fighting games at that point.

[quote name='StryderOmega']It's a huge crossover between 3(?) companies. It's a fighting game.[/QUOTE]

It is definitely not a fighting game, it is more of a strategy rpg game.

[quote name='proKoyeon']What kind of game is this Project X Zone? I haven't heard much about it.[/QUOTE]
It's a strategy rpg like final fantasy tactics or fire emblem. You move units around on a chess-like grid and attack with simple single button + direction real-time inputs during battle screens. As far as gameplay goes it's very fun for the first half of the game, and then becomes bottom of the barrel as far as SRPGs go because the game's systems and mechanics are incredibly shallow.

If you're interested in interesting/funny dialogue and conversations between crossover characters from different series, it's one of this game's main draws because the story and gameplay become incredibly mundane.

[quote name='excellen']It's a strategy rpg like final fantasy tactics or fire emblem. You move units around on a chess-like grid and attack with simple single button + direction real-time inputs during battle screens. As far as gameplay goes it's very fun for the first half of the game, and then becomes bottom of the barrel as far as SRPGs go because the game's systems and mechanics are incredibly shallow.

If you're interested in interesting/funny dialogue and conversations between crossover characters from different series, it's one of this game's main draws because the story and gameplay become incredibly mundane.[/QUOTE]

My bad for misrepresenting the game. From the screens I had seen it looked like a fighter. (Didn't see the 'board' screen)

[quote name='excellen']It's a strategy rpg like final fantasy tactics or fire emblem. You move units around on a chess-like grid and attack with simple single button + direction real-time inputs during battle screens. As far as gameplay goes it's very fun for the first half of the game, and then becomes bottom of the barrel as far as SRPGs go because the game's systems and mechanics are incredibly shallow.

If you're interested in interesting/funny dialogue and conversations between crossover characters from different series, it's one of this game's main draws because the story and gameplay become incredibly mundane.[/QUOTE]

oh well ::game moves back onto radar::, thanks for clearing that up

I can't stress enough that those of you who aren't already dead set on PXZ should wait on it to hit the bargain bin or for reviews from wherever you trust. Despite it being like a fan's wet-dream for a crossover game, it's by monolith soft's shittier development team and is not worth full price.

The game has a 3/5 star rating on amazon.jp and price dropped as much as 85% (from $65~ msrp -> $10) during fire sales in Japan just a few months after release, which almost never happens.
2GPBw.jpg
I would only recommend it if you just happen to be a huge fan of a good number of the participating series and character interaction/dialogue alone can carry a game for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='excellen']I can't stress enough that those of you who aren't already dead set on PXZ should wait on it to hit the bargain bin or for reviews from wherever you trust. Despite it being like a fan's wet-dream for a crossover game, it's by namco bandai's shittier development team and is not worth full price.

The game has a 3/5 star rating on amazon.jp and price dropped as much as 85% (from $65~ msrp -> $10) during fire sales in Japan just a few months after release, which almost never happens.
I would only recommend it if you just happen to be a huge fan of a good number of the participating series and character interaction/dialogue alone can carry a game for you.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm a fan of pretty much every character I've seen in there, but watching gameplay vids I can barely discern what the shit is happening. I'm all for the more shallow-end SRPGs (hi, Pokemon Conquest!) but I'll prolly hold out on this one.

[quote name='excellen']it's by namco bandai's shittier development team and is not worth full price.[/QUOTE]
How is Monolith Soft and Banpresto a shitty development team?

[quote name='Celestial']How is Monolith Soft and Banpresto a shitty development team?[/QUOTE]
Most of the work was done by monolith soft, which isn't comprised of just a single development team or studio. Their Tokyo studio has 2 teams, one of them being the shittier handheld team which developed pxz.

Even ignoring this though, the other evidence I cited should show that the opinion isn't just from my own anecdotal experience. The game is just not a good SRPG period, it has a plethora of problems and isn't a good buy at full price if you're looking for a deep or fulfilling game from a gameplay perspective.

Is the battle system similar to the Endless Frontier games? Aside from the cast of characters, that's what actually got me interested.

Recommending people to wait for the bargain bin applies to those only wanting to play the game though. I assume most of the people here saying they have it preordered are at least mildly interested in the game and want to get the first printing with the extras.

bread's done
Back