3DS vs 3DSXL

Get the 3DS XL. I just bought one after demoing both the 3DS and the 3DS XL and the 3D is much better on the XL. Also, if you have bigger hands, it is a much more comfortable system to hold. My hands cramped quite a bit after only 30 minutes of playing on the 3DS. I did not have this problem on the XL.

Definitely worth the extra in price.

I heard the xl's screen blows the picture up. So, when the two systems are compared side by side, the xl's picture is not as sharp. If that's true I would just want the regular 3ds.

[quote name='letskissthesky']I heard the xl's screen blows the picture up. So, when the two systems are compared side by side, the xl's picture is not as sharp. If that's true I would just want the regular 3ds.[/QUOTE]

I am not positive about the picture not being as comparably sharp from 3DS to 3DS XL. I own the 3DS XL and absolutely love it!

When my battery died on the 3DS XL (I heard the battery life is actually longer on 3DS XL) I used my boyfriend's 3DS for a bit to pass the time. Big difference in screen size!

I never noticed any stretching or bad quality imagery, but I never really stared at them side by side while both were on.

So far I've played Angry Birds Trilogy, Rhythm Thief, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, and Code of Princess on there and they're all very pretty. :)

If I were you, I'd definitely get the 3DS XL.

3DS XL.

I don't know if the regular 3DS's are still being shoddily made, but mine was which was disappointing. The XL seems like a much better built system.

I've owned both the 3DS and 3DS XL. Definitely shoot for the XL. The original 3DS is downright uncomfortable. While the XL isn't perfect it's way better than the original in pretty much every aspect. Having the same resolution at a larger size does impact sharpness, but if you're getting a DS I'm assuming graphics aren't the most important aspect.

[quote name='Zaku77']It is the same for the DSi XL, 3Ds, and 3DS XL. My vote also STRONGLY goes to the XL.[/QUOTE]

I have the 3DS and played the XL demo at Target, it really does feel a lot better in your hands if your a grown adult or have big hands. I play with the 3DS circle pad pro which makes it feel a little more genuine in my hands but I can't take that everywhere with me.

I would have bought it by now but I'm waiting for this Christmas to see if they do some kind of Holiday bundle or special edition, I may suggest doing the same considering how close we are to the holidays.

Can it still be called portable handheld?
original.jpg

I'd go for the XL if the $30 difference isn't an issue. I would have got one, but I got the regular 3DS instead because I found it on clearance for $99 and figured I'd give it a try, didn't even really want one before I got it, but I like it now.

Oddly, the XL is what I imagined the 3DS would look like for a finished product (not the size, but the rest of it) when they first introduced a prototype model.

I'd go for the XL, except if you want to play RE:Revelations or KH:3D, at least until the pro-pad comes over here. (Importing would work too, but it's just always so much more expensive)

I don't regret getting the 3DS though. Can't get all the DOA costumes anymore.

Had the black 3DS since launch, got the XL, was better in every aspect in my opinion, sold the 3DS on Ebay. If you havent owned the 3DS then you wont even know if a game looks slightly blurry on the XL so that shouldnt even matter. And I can fit an XL in any pair of pants I own, might have some probs if youre into ball squeezing skinny jeans!

I'm obviously an outlier, but I prefer my original 3ds. I've played several demo stations for a decent bit of time and can't stand the look or feel of them.

[quote name='letskissthesky']I heard the xl's screen blows the picture up. So, when the two systems are compared side by side, the xl's picture is not as sharp. If that's true I would just want the regular 3ds.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't blow up anything, it's less DPI since there is more area with the same # of pixels.

THink 50" 1080p TV vs a 65" 1080p. Same resulution, different sizes.

I'm just reiterating what I've read. I haven't had personal experience comparing the two, but I know some people have said it looks more clunky and jagged on the xl compared to the regular model. If that is true it would be a real concern with me.

I'd go for a XL. Increased battery life is a big selling point, since the standard 3DS dies so quickly.

I'm still waiting for a revision with a second analog stick and a nicer design. The 3DSXL is ugly as shit to me.

When the 3ds came out I was not all that impressed.. Just bought a 3ds XL and I love it... Screen makes a huge difference.

I have had both and I prefer the XL.

I am able to comfortably play the system at arms length which helps with eye strain. When I go back and play the original or my DS Lite it now feels weird holding a system closer to my face since I'm forced to look at smaller screens. If you were to play the XL as close to your face as the original 3DS then you will probably notice the resolution, but in my opinion the XL is meant to be played farther from your face (feels more like a console experience to be honest rather than a handheld experience which is a welcomed surprise for me).

Pros
-Better buttons (especially the L, R, start, select, and home buttons)/stick nub
-Bigger screens
-Better build quality
-Smooth matte finish rather than shiny, smudge attractant, sunlight glare gloss finish
-Better DS playback (original 3DS does not emulate DS games as nice, google it)
-Improved battery life

Cons
-Worse speakers than original 3DS
-Less portable than original

I was planning on getting the original 3DS but I think this thread has convinced me to get the XL. The XL won't fit in my pocket, which is annoying, but I have huge hands so I probably need it.

bread's done
Back