4 million Wii consoles sold worldwide! The craze continues!

[quote name='Scorch']PS3's seem to be very common around here as well, no one's touching 'em.[/QUOTE]
Same here. My friend and I went to 3 stores yesterday looking for a DS Lite for him. We couldn't find any but we did see a 60 gb at Target and someone had just returned a 20 gb at Best Buy.

As a side note I actually had an extra 10% off certificate for Target so with my employee discount I could have gotten it for $480, I still couldn't bring myself to do it because there's just not any compelling games to buy it for. Down the road maybe but right now? Not so much.

[quote name='David85']Then why does this site say completely different numbers?

Xbox 360 Sells Nine-Million
12/26/2006, 6:21pm Eastern Time

Blame it on a lack of units from the competition or a one year head start, but Microsoft's latest console, Xbox 360, has hit the nine-million unit mark, while Wii and Playstation 3 lag way behind.

As Nextgenwars.com has reported, Wii has managed to move just short of two-million units within its first few weeks, while Playstation 3, launching just a few days before Wii in America, is at a meager eight-hundred thousand.

It's still early, however, considering that Xbox 360 launched last year, and anything is possible. Nextgenwars.com will continue to track system sales, so check back often for the latest.

360 = 9 million
Wii = 2 million
PS3 = 800,000 (which seems to be a correct number)

http://www.nintendojo.com/infocus/view_item.php?1167175313[/quote]

I can answer that:

The numbers in the article cited by the OP are newer than those, in the case of the Wii and PS3. The 2 million number was as of about 2 weeks ago (Nintendo's own press release) as are the PS3 numbers. You'd expect them to have jumped a bit.

The numbers for the 360, in the above article, are actually in line with the numbers in the article posted by the OP.

The 360 did sell 7.7 million in one year (from launch date to launch date + 1 year)....though they are now (after the holidays) at around 9 million (so, about 1.3 million since launch date + 1 year).

[quote name='mtxbass1']This site is completely full of shit. 1.18 million ps3's sold? Yeah right. How do you go from having

[quote name='ryanbph']at one point in the middle/end of summer early fall time period somebody was saying that they would hit 8mill by years end. I don't know if it was an analyst or someone from nintendo that said that number.[/quote]
4 million by calender years end.

6-8 million by FISCAL years end.

Those were the claims, as I remember.

[quote name='cyberlian']yesterday frys had pallets of ps3s, I asked about the wii and the guy laughed...[/quote]

Yeah, Fry's does stupid bundles as well.
That really turns buyers off.

[quote name='dallow']The main reason the Wii flys off the shelf quicker than the PS3 is price.[/quote]
I have to disagree with this statement. I think price is one of the reasons, but if that were the case then the Gamecube should have mopped the floor with Sony and MS this last round. I think the compelling reason the system is selling is because of a number of factors: 1) The innovative control scheme that actually does what it says it does, 2) the pick up and play mechanics of the PACK IN game that everyone from a 5 year old to an 80 year old can enjoy, 3) the ability to download and play vintage games that many people have very fond memories of, and 4) as you stated, a very attractive price point.

Like a previous poster had stated, MS may have sold 9 Mil 360s, but Nintendo is HOT on their ass and if their poised to hit 6 Mil in less than 6 Months after launch then there's a good chance that Nintendo could take the lead a year after that. What's nice about that possibility is that more 3rd party publishers will take notice and start puting more big budget titles on the system.

Yeah, I have a feeling the "Big N" is back ...

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']I have to disagree with this statement. I think price is one of the reasons, but if that were the case then the Gamecube should have mopped the floor with Sony and MS this last round. I think the compelling reason the system is selling is because of a number of factors: 1) The innovative control scheme that actually does what it says it does, 2) the pick up and play mechanics of the PACK IN game that everyone from a 5 year old to an 80 year old can enjoy, 3) the ability to download and play vintage games that many people have very fond memories of, and 4) as you stated, a very attractive price point.

Like a previous poster had stated, MS may have sold 9 Mil 360s, but Nintendo is HOT on their ass and if their poised to hit 6 Mil in less than 6 Months after launch then there's a good chance that Nintendo could take the lead a year after that. What's nice about that possibility is that more 3rd party publishers will take notice and start puting more big budget titles on the system.

Yeah, I have a feeling the "Big N" is back ...[/QUOTE]

You're making a lot of assumptions. The biggest of which is that the Gamecube was only a $100 cheaper then the competition. While this is certainly still true of the 360 (Core + Memory card ~$340ish), it's half the price of the low end PS3. Half! Coupled with the hike in game prices, money certainly drives sales of the Wii.

While I do agree the Wii will break 5 million probably by January which is amazing, I think the sales in the US are more about the holiday rush then they are about the Wii at the moment at least in the US. I still think there's a big demand for the Wii, but I think a good deal of hype that is driven purely by it being the new system and not costing an arm and a leg.

[quote name='rygar']From snooping around on the nexgenwars forums a few weeks ago, the consensus there is the numbers are based on units shipped, not necessarily sold to consumers. For the PS3 and Wii this can be pretty well approximated for units sold. For the 360...well that's a big debate over there. Haven't been there in a while, but I think people generally think its 6-8 million sold to consumers.

Of course, these sites don't reveal how they calculate these numbers and Sony, MS, and Nintendo don't always release this info, so take it as you will.[/QUOTE]

This is what I was trying to figure out, because if Nintendo can ship 800k this weekend then they'll make their 4 mill claim according to the OP.

people also need to realize systems do eventually hit a wall....its not like they will keep selling at the same rate as a launch during the holidays.

of
ps3's

Walked into EB games day after xmas, said "hey do you have any wii's?", almost fell over when they said "yep". Bought one, told my friend to get it 1 hour later all sold out.

BUT YOU CAN GET A PS3 IF YOU WANT

;)

It is really up to Nintendo right now, they have alot going for it. They need to really crank out games and make people happy. The thing is when people who may have bought just the Wii for Wiisports... what do they do now? Would they really play Zelda? I am suprised we have yet to see any numbers on VC games purchased. It is something they put out there, but I don't think they are selling aswell as Nintendo had hopped mainly due to the pricing structure. If they announced a membership, I think sales will really kick in.

Yeah, local GS's & EB's have few 60 gig left. As always... wii sold out less than few hours. No WII at Target, Walmart, CC or Bestbuy.

[quote name='dallow']Sitting on shelves, yeah right.[/QUOTE]

Yep, right.

Have been looking for a Wii in Memphis. Hit every store in the city, and every one of them except for a few, said "no, but we have PS3s if you want. One guy at Target said it and snickered. And they were actually not in the back, they were either on the floor display, on the shelf, or behind the glass.

The day before Christmas Eve, there were PS3s stacked at Best Buy. This wasn't early in the day either. I'm talking afternoon/late afternoon. I even saw a few in the line where people had left them, I guess changing their mind.

From the sound of most people's post, seems Sony met their demand and then some. *ehem* go Sony! Flip over and screw your customer base for maximum damage!

To be fair, Sony did actually meet most demand. People would be griping the other way around as well, it seems they just can't catch a break. That said, it's their attitude that makes them so much fun to pick on. It's their own fault really.

It's really amazing that you can find PS3s so readily.

Maybe it depends where you live, I guess a giant city like Dallas is still starving for them.

[quote name='furyk']You're making a lot of assumptions. The biggest of which is that the Gamecube was only a $100 cheaper then the competition. While this is certainly still true of the 360 (Core + Memory card ~$340ish), it's half the price of the low end PS3. Half! Coupled with the hike in game prices, money certainly drives sales of the Wii.[/quote]
Again, I agree that price is part of it, but my point is that price is not the primary factor. As you had pointed out, the 360 core + mem card is $90 more than the Wii ... the original Xbox was $100 more than the Gamecube; if price drives sales then my point is valid, the Gamecube should have lead the charge.

Again, I agree that many are seeing the $250 tag and wanting it; but I think they're hearing about how people are enjoying the system and how innovative it is. As long as Nintendo can keep the GOOD games coming they may be able to pull ahead.

I live in northern Michigan, and there are PS3's readily available at our Best Buy and Walmart (I haven't been to the GS's). The other day our Best Buy literally had a stack of 15-20 just sitting there, and the guy in the section said they'd been there since before Christmas.

Just because they're sold out in your city doesn't mean they're sold out elsewhere.

[quote name='Plinko']I live in northern Michigan, and there are PS3's readily available at our Best Buy and Walmart (I haven't been to the GS's). The other day our Best Buy literally had a stack of 15-20 just sitting there, and the guy in the section said they'd been there since before Christmas.

Just because they're sold out in your city doesn't mean they're sold out elsewhere.[/quote]
But there really aren't any jobs in northern michigan.... It's like saying people in Nigeria aren't buying Playstation 3 consoles....

[quote name='Plinko']I live in northern Michigan, and there are PS3's readily available at our Best Buy and Walmart (I haven't been to the GS's). The other day our Best Buy literally had a stack of 15-20 just sitting there, and the guy in the section said they'd been there since before Christmas.

Just because they're sold out in your city doesn't mean they're sold out elsewhere.[/quote]

Yeah, the DFW area is definitely not Northern Michigan.
Send us your PS3s, my friends want them.

To all the underpopulated northern states with extra PS3s, send them down to the thriving metropolitans as we still want them.

I've seen PS3's in Madison, WI every time I've gone shopping in the past week. Wii's, haven't seen a single one in a retail store since I bought mine on launch day.

[quote name='psunami']I've seen PS3's in Madison, WI every time I've gone shopping in the past week. Wii's, haven't seen a single one in a retail store since I bought mine on launch day.[/quote]

Hehe, another northern state.
Anyone see the trend?

Small towns should be adequate as well. Wichita Falls, TX had a few sittin around fairly late in the day.

The Austin Frys got a shipment of like 70+ in a few days before Christmas. I think over the first 2 days they sold under 10 of them, but then again, they bundle the crap out of them.

In CT, I have, on 3 seperate occasions, walked into stores with PS3's in stock (1 late in the afternoon, one in the mid-evening, and one in the early AM).

I've yet to see a Wii (or tag for a wii) on a store shelf.

Take that anecdotal info for what it's worth (probably not much).

[quote name='dallow']Hehe, another northern state.
Anyone see the trend?[/quote]

You're generalizing states based on PS3 availability? Nice work.

I saw my first Wii in the wild today, sitting at the bottom of the case behind the register at TRU. But it was bought by the person in line behind me, even though he was annoyed at having to buy two accessories/games with it.

[quote name='Plinko']You're generalizing states based on PS3 availability? Nice work.[/quote]

What?

I'm saying, that most of the posters who say they see PS3s available live in Northern states, especially the ones with smaller populations.

I'm not going into "Damn Yankees" mode.

[quote name='seanr1221']:whistle2:s[/QUOTE]
Um.. every time I go into Target or Circuit City theres at least 1 20GB PS3 on the shelf... I'll assume its been the same one every time...;)

[quote name='crystalklear64']Um.. every time I go into Target or Circuit City theres at least 1 20GB PS3 on the shelf... I'll assume its been the same one every time...;)[/quote]

Are you in Wisconsin?
Please say yes.

[quote name='dallow']What?

I'm saying, that most of the posters who say they see PS3s available live in Northern states, especially the ones with smaller populations.

I'm not going into "Damn Yankees" mode.[/QUOTE]

I could see where you're going with your statement, but Madison and the surrounding area is over a half a million people. It's not like we have a 2 mile drive to the next persons house.

I think the point is that PS3's are showing up in more and more stores as the demand is decreasing.

[quote name='psunami']I could see your argument, but Madison and the surrounding area is over a half a million people. It's not like we have a 2 mile drive to the next persons house.[/quote]

It's not an argument, it's just a funny little pattern I see on this thread.
I know it doesn't apply to everyone.

Dallas is 1.2 million people.
With the surrounding areas (no more than half an hour away), it's 5.8 million.

I know Madison is big, but it's not metropolitan big.

Demand is decreasing in smaller areas it seems as most who are willing to spend the dough have gotten their fill.

[quote name='crystalklear64']I wouldn't consider Spokane small..[/quote]

About half the size of Dallas, so no, it's definitely not small!

I'm speaking relatively.

[quote name='dallow']About half the size of Dallas, so no, it's definitely not small!

I'm speaking relatively.[/QUOTE]
Either way, it seems as Northern states either have more, people from northern states are talking more about having them, or theres just more people on CAG from northern states.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Again, I agree that price is part of it, but my point is that price is not the primary factor. As you had pointed out, the 360 core + mem card is $90 more than the Wii ... the original Xbox was $100 more than the Gamecube; if price drives sales then my point is valid, the Gamecube should have lead the charge.

Again, I agree that many are seeing the $250 tag and wanting it; but I think they're hearing about how people are enjoying the system and how innovative it is. As long as Nintendo can keep the GOOD games coming they may be able to pull ahead.[/quote]

I totally disagree. Price is the ONLY reason. Sony shot themselves in the foot with the $600 tag. Remember how expensive the 360 felt at $400? $400 is the ceiling. There is no evidence whatsoever that the market can sustain a $600 console. If Sony would have released at $400, they would be dominating. The ONLY thing that can save Sony at this point is a price cut to $400/$500, and it may be to late for that.

All of this my opinion, of course.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Either way, it seems as Northern states either have more, people from northern states are talking more about having them, or theres just more people on CAG from northern states.[/quote]

Yup.

I have yet to see a PS3 in any store, besides the ones to try out. I have yet to see a Wii in any store. The different is everytime I go to a store everyone is asking for a Wii and no one has ever asked for a PS3.

I talked to the people at two different Gamestops about if anyone asks for a PS3. They say they do, but the Wii people are driving them crazy.

Cool, thanks for that. I saw the software listing earlier (Zelda rebounded to #21), but no hardware. Software sales were crazy last week too; had to sell over 100k to make the top 10.

DS lite is still #1! Glad to see the Wii in second. Good times for Nintendo now. Lets just hope they don't screw this up.

i went to gamecrazy for a look into thier classic plastic and the guy tried selling me a ps3..... hes got 2 of the 60gb ones and said hes hadem for awhile. rt 9 gamecrazy if anyone wantsem. he said Sony did a fake shortage and withheld ps3s to get more hype. while i would believe it, ill wait for more formal sources

I wouldn't count the PS3 out yet. Among mainstreamer gamers, there are a lot of people who buy into the 'playstation' brand name rather then listen to what Time magazine has to say.

These are gangster type-OG motherfuckers who buy these things simply and only for graphics. People who are full-blooded white, but act like they were raised on Tupac and Three 6 Mafia. These people are the ones you haven't accounted for and they're not going to sit around 20 hours on line for a PS3, because to them, it's just a videogame console. They're rather be getting fucked up, getting drunk, and getting high on methodone and oxycotins. These specific 'consumers' will get the PS3 when it's good and readily available.

I believe these are the consumers that Sony is relying on. I mean look at that PSP christmas site. They sure as hell weren't aiming it at us. I mean how many people around CAG were necklaces like that? But I've seen people out there who do wear that kind of stuff and there are a lot of them.

Wait until next year when they get their money together and slowly start buying the PS3 en masse. In the end of this console lifetime, I think the PS3 will be below the lifetime sales of the Wii by about 20%. It'll catch up regardless of the price. Just let some of the crazier looking PS3 games to hit and see what happens.

[quote name='dallow']Hehe, another northern state.
Anyone see the trend?[/QUOTE]
I live in CA, I saw 6 - 60GB PS3s at Walmart and 2 -60GBs and a 20GB at CircuitCity on the 23rd at around 10PM!

[quote name='dallow']Sitting on shelves, yeah right.

In any case, I guess this means Sony achieved their goal of 1 million PS3s by year's end, while Nintendo is 5 million short of their crazy 8 million prediction.

Good for Nintendo though, that's really awesome.[/QUOTE]

While I wouldn't say "sitting on shelves", they are at least 1,000x easier to find then a Wii or even a DS for that matter. I've literally seen over 60 Wiis sold in a few hours, and 20 PS3s take well over three days before they were all gone. And that's with telling every customer within ear shot that we have them in, as opposed to people rabidly demanding Wii.

Nintendo is the one that is generally more conservative with their numbers. I've never seen a source for anyone claiming they said 8 million by the end of the year.

I'm going to go ahead and say its a false claim unless someone shows some evidence. As long as I can remember, around the neighborhood of E3, they said 4 million by the end of the year, 6 million by the end of march 07.

Now some rumors came out late summer saying they were way ahead of schedule, and that they would maybe 6-8 by the end of the year, but those were purely speculative

[quote name='ahmedmalik']I wouldn't count the PS3 out yet. Among mainstreamer gamers, there are a lot of people who buy into the 'playstation' brand name rather then listen to what Time magazine has to say.

These are gangster type-OG motherfuckers who buy these things simply and only for graphics. People who are full-blooded white, but act like they were raised on Tupac and Three 6 Mafia. These people are the ones you haven't accounted for and they're not going to sit around 20 hours on line for a PS3, because to them, it's just a videogame console. They're rather be getting fucked up, getting drunk, and getting high on methodone and oxycotins. These specific 'consumers' will get the PS3 when it's good and readily available.

I believe these are the consumers that Sony is relying on. I mean look at that PSP christmas site. They sure as hell weren't aiming it at us. I mean how many people around CAG were necklaces like that? But I've seen people out there who do wear that kind of stuff and there are a lot of them.

Wait until next year when they get their money together and slowly start buying the PS3 en masse. In the end of this console lifetime, I think the PS3 will be below the lifetime sales of the Wii by about 20%. It'll catch up regardless of the price. Just let some of the crazier looking PS3 games to hit and see what happens.[/quote]

Alot of this is TRUE, we all like sports games, some more or less than other. However the people like ahmedmalik is speaking of, only care about sports games and to be able to rent them and scratch the disc up to the point of unplayablity, this is the biggest reason I think that XBOX got tremedious support over Gamecube was Sports games, because the console install base was the same, but Some of us who will play sports games but will not pick a system based on such probally picks or has a favorite console different from the previously mentioned Tupac raised OG wannabes who are traditionally Sony only fans. I own a PS2 and Gamecube, I get ps2 games kinda free but besides God of War I only play Gamecube inless my friends are over and we play group sports games like madden/gran turismo/fighting games. And once I get a wii and madden 07, dragon ball z, wii sports i don't see us playing the PS2 anymore. I only hope Wii get awesome 3rd party support so the Wii doesn't just rely on Traditional Nintendo Console Franchises.

bread's done
Back