4 Warriors of Light: Final Fantasy Gaiden

Hmm, I don't think I really like the art style. I can deal with cutesy-looking games if the game is good (Phantom Hourglass, Windwaker, Legendary Starfy, playing through Cookie and Cream right now). And the teenage angst of ofther Squeenix titles didn't really bother me (though Titus was pretty annoying).

However, they can certainly take it too far. Those characters look like they're my son's age when they're running around; he just turned 2. :(

This one is a no-doubter day one purchase for me, whenever it comes to the States. The FF series has sorely been needing an old school experience that's not a remake, but in the last few years we've only had the DQ series for that. Obviously I'm not expecting the next FFIV or VI, but if they can even match say 60% of that, I'll be happy.

ill definitely purchase this when it comes out. but anyone else feel like the artwook makes it feel like youre playing animal crossing? lol.

[quote name='Squarehard']ill definitely purchase this when it comes out. but anyone else feel like the artwook makes it feel like youre playing animal crossing? lol.[/QUOTE]

I like Animal Crossing. :D In all seriousness, when it comes to the DS I'm really less concerned with the visuals than with the gameplay as far as RPGs go.

Gameplay is king, but I just don't understand why they keep making these games so cutesy. Are there 7 and 8 year-olds playing these fairly involved RPGs?

[quote name='Backlash']Gameplay is king, but I just don't understand why they keep making these games so cutesy. Are there 7 and 8 year-olds playing these fairly involved RPGs?[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind we're talking about the DS here. If this were on a different system, maybe they'd go with a different look. For 3D visuals on this platform, I think it looks very nice. I mean, I'd be fine if they went back to 2D with sprites, hell I'd probably prefer it, but this seems to be the style Squenix is adopting these days, and I do like it.

It's being developed by Matrix Software, which was clear from the use of the FFIII/FFIVDS engine. Perhaps the most notable staff member on the team for this game is the director, Takashi Tokita, who previously directed Live-A-Live, Parasite Eve, and Chrono Trigger.

(I'm loving the music on the official site, a nice mix of orchestrated and 8-bit music)

EDIT: GameTrailers went and compiled the two videos from the official site and put the theme song from the site in the video.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/52640.html

Last edited by a moderator:
They should have used the graphics style of FFIV The After Years. It's a true old school look but it's clean.

Man, I really wish Square would delve into their older IP more often. At this point I'd even take a Rad Racer and Square No Tom Sawyer sequel. I dunno how I feel about this game, it just doesn't look appealing at all.

Wow when I saw some battle screen-shots I was kind of turned off from the art style (cause it looked kind of washed out and undetailed) but actually seeing the game in motion I don't notice any of that and actually really like it, the world curvature effect that they are using is really interesting... plus I like the cute chibi look.

Two phrases have me sold on this game. Turn based, and job system (so we get the fun of FFX-2, without the crappy dresssphere system, or FFV, or FFIII)

[quote name='Gden']Two phrases have me sold on this game. Turn based, and job system (so we get the fun of FFX-2, without the crappy dresssphere system, or FFV, or FFIII)[/QUOTE]

Hopefully the job system is deep and properly implemented. I think the jobs from FFT should be the standard, since they had a good balance and just the right amount.

wow this is outta nowhere for me, why the funny title?
The art direction is ok for me I'd prefer something more mature but that's not what matters at all

I hope the game itself is very complex and has a decent story (if the story is bad at least let it have a lot of good game play)

If it delivers on half I'll still probably buy it, I'm a sucker for RPG's on the go

bread's done
Back