$40 for 2 year warrenty from TRU worth it?

REL1203

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
My wife told me she wanted a Wii for xmas (she cant get into my 360 or ps3), so we went looking for a Wii that day, and only place that had them was TRU, but the manager said he would only open his stock early (this was Sat evening) before the ones he set aside for the the Sunday morning crowd is if I purchased the warrenty. $30 for 1 year, $40 for 2 year. This is not in addition to the Nintendo warrenty, this is Warrenty that covers the same time. How long is the Wii warrenty? I signed up and got the extra 90 days coverage, but never found how long that is on top of? If its a year, so now I have 15 months, $40 doesnt seem worth it for a couple extra months. I am pretty sure I can just go back into TRU Cust Serv and return the Warr and get that money back, but wanted to know what you guys thought?

1. Never, ever buy a warranty from a store for videogame hardware (most other electronics too).

2. If you return your Wii to a store you lose all your games, points, etc

[quote name='REL1203']This is not in addition to the Nintendo warrenty, this is Warrenty that covers the same time. [/quote]
If its not in addition to the Nintendo warranty, you're only getting 9 months for your $40.

I personally wouldn't, as the nintendo hardware has been more reliable than the other systems (*cough* 360 *cough*). But if peace of mind is worth $40 go for it, you'll still lose your VC games though.

Nintendo offers a 15 month warranty for $0 dollars.

Reminds me of the 'Homer and the Crayon' Simpsons episode...

Homer: (as Moe pounds crayon into brain) "Defense, uh, uh, defense, uh, uh!"
Moe: "That's pretty dumb, but..." (pounds crayon further into brain)
Homer: "Extended warranty? How can I lose!"
Moe: "There we go!"

Like I said, the lady said I had to buy it for them to sell me the Wii early. I went back today, talked to the CS lady, and she promptly refunded me my $40, so I went and baught Mario Party 8 with it :)

[quote name='Deefuzz']Never buy any warranty or Buyer Protection Plan (BPP) from TRU. It's a complete ripoff.[/quote]

d'oh! i bought the warranty for my Wii. i waited in line for an hour and managed to snag the last one on launch day and i was paranoid it might have problems like the 360 (my first one broke a year ago) but i've had no problems sooo i guess i wasted $39.99 :(

lesson learned

[quote name='REL1203']My wife told me she wanted a Wii for xmas (she cant get into my 360 or ps3), so we went looking for a Wii that day, and only place that had them was TRU, but the manager said he would only open his stock early (this was Sat evening) before the ones he set aside for the the Sunday morning crowd is if I purchased the warrenty. $30 for 1 year, $40 for 2 year. This is not in addition to the Nintendo warrenty, this is Warrenty that covers the same time. How long is the Wii warrenty? I signed up and got the extra 90 days coverage, but never found how long that is on top of? If its a year, so now I have 15 months, $40 doesnt seem worth it for a couple extra months. I am pretty sure I can just go back into TRU Cust Serv and return the Warr and get that money back, but wanted to know what you guys thought?[/QUOTE]
He gave you a lot of bad information.

First things first, the Toys R Us warranty extends the manufacturer's warranty. So, your warranty period begins one year after the date of purchase (it likely does not include the extra 90 days Nintendo offers).

Second, the one year warranty is only $25, not $30. He was trying to make the 2 year sound more appealing by using the bundle warranty option.

Good thing is, you'll be able to return the warranty as long as you kept your receipt.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']He gave you a lot of bad information.

First things first, the Toys R Us warranty extends the manufacturer's warranty. So, your warranty period begins one year after the date of purchase (it likely does not include the extra 90 days Nintendo offers).

Second, the one year warranty is only $25, not $30. He was trying to make the 2 year sound more appealing by using the bundle warranty option.

Good thing is, you'll be able to return the warranty as long as you kept your receipt.[/QUOTE]

Actually, some of the stores may have started using the new protection plan we have received which starts 31 days after purchase. It now covers accident damage and have heard no exclusions to that, but I am sure I will find out soon enough. We start switching at the TRU I am at on Nov. 4th and I think the warranty is a ripoff compared to the old one which I thought was crap.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']He gave you a lot of bad information.

Good thing is, you'll be able to return the warranty as long as you kept your receipt.[/quote]

On the brocure, it listed all the prices, and it did list $30 for 1 year, and $40 for 2... Doesnt really matter though as I was very easily able to return the Warr and get my money back for it... Worked out nicely... Now both friends I have played the Wii with want them and am on the lookout for a wii for them

For the people that bought the warranty and are regretting it. I believe many of the stores will refund your warranty purchase if the mfg. warranty hasn't expired. Most extended warranties don't start until the mfg. warranty expires.

Good purchase on the wii.. I would say Wii sports will keep you busy for some time. i was not impressed with mario Party 8 but thats me.

I love the wii though.

I worked in a similar store Warranty is how they make their money we even had to meet a daily quota of atleast 2 sold per day warranty is bullshit just easy money for the store

[quote name='REL1203']Like I said, the lady said I had to buy it for them to sell me the Wii early. I went back today, talked to the CS lady, and she promptly refunded me my $40, so I went and baught Mario Party 8 with it :)[/quote]

Damn i hate that game it does not even display in widescreen which is very annoying when you have a widescreen tv

best place to buy warrenty is Best buy. you can return the system anytime in those 2 years and get a new system... no questions asked

I am personally very bored with the Wii, but I hope you enjoy yours. If anyone is looking for one, send me a pm and when I find out TRU's next shipment for them I will message you back. I will let you know the day they will be in the store so you need to get there a little before the store opens. If you don't, tough luck and don't message me back asking me for the next time, I am willing to do it 1 time per person. I would just rather not get in trouble since I do know people from this board.

No from me too. I just got an offer to extend the warranty on my HD tv and tore it up. Warranties for electronics are so expensive you would be better off taking your chances without one and if it breaks just buy a new one.

[quote name='pittpizza']No from me too. I just got an offer to extend the warranty on my HD tv and tore it up. Warranties for electronics are so expensive you would be better off taking your chances without one and if it breaks just buy a new one.[/QUOTE]

That's definitely true.

I've always just thought that buy not buying extended warranties for anything (versus paying for them for everything), it basically pays for a component that I eventually have crap out on me in money not spent on warranty's for things that never broke.

[quote name='IAmTheBiggestInuyashaFan']Actually, some of the stores may have started using the new protection plan we have received which starts 31 days after purchase. It now covers accident damage and have heard no exclusions to that, but I am sure I will find out soon enough. We start switching at the TRU I am at on Nov. 4th and I think the warranty is a ripoff compared to the old one which I thought was crap.[/QUOTE]
I didn't realize there was a new one, thanks for the info.

bread's done
Back