4000 MS points $41.99+ FS @ Dell/ Amazon has price matched!

Awesome deal. I wanna bite on this so bad, but I've spent so much money in the past month and a half. Gonna have to pass this time.

well my beef w/ Dell is why do they charge tax..
I got a 1600 pt card from bestbuy via a GiftCard and I wasnt charged Tax at all. Why the hell does Dell charge tax when a B&M Store doesnt charge tax on this item. I'd love to know.
Yeah its a better deal but amazon now has em for $44.99 which can be close to your price after tax (less than $1).

EDIT: Im going to suspect they charge tax on this item because its in the awesome American packaging vs in Bestbuy i buy the card which looks like a gift card and it gets 'activated' at the register... Any B&M workers out there can verify this?

Well cards that are so-called "Powered by Fastcard" aren't charged tax in B&M stores. Now I don't know why Dell charges tax on this item unless the Points card is in its clamshell packaging meaning the card is not by Fastcard.

It's probably better if you wait for those Best Buy Reward Zone 10% off coupons that'll be in effect January 8. Not only will you get the same price as what Dell is offering but you'll also get Reward Zone points.

[quote name='berzirk']Any bing cashbacks or coupons that will work with this?[/QUOTE]

I looked—Dell is still not showing up in Bing's directory anymore. Best Buy, on the other hand, checks in at 5 to 15 percent. If you have Upromise, you can get 6 to 8 percent back on Best Buy purchases with the Upromise credit card until the end of the month, so I think Best Buy might good for combining things up into a nice savings haul.

Somewhat related to this—if you have Upromise, you can sign up for Upromise Dining Rewards and Best Buy's RZ Dining Rewards with the same credit card and have things double-counted (BB RZ points and college loan cash back at the same time). It's the same company and list of participating restaurants.

[quote name='Samurai_X-51']FWIW, Dell says this deal will expire on Thursday, Jan. 7.[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks. Good info.

I should note that in both the Microcenters I've been to, in Northeast Ohio and Northeast Virginia, have 4000 point cards for $40 with no tax. Not the best deal they had, either; shortly after I'd bought my last 4000 point card, I saw they had 1600 points for $13...which I would've picked up if I had known how much of that 4000 point card I would spend at the end of this year when things were on sale (Shadow Complex, Monkey Island, The Maw, Battlefield 1943)...

[quote name='wakawakawa']I just emailed Dell asking why they charge sales tax on this item. Let's see what they say.[/QUOTE]

I would think that if the person you emailed turns out to be competent, they should be revising their policy of charging tax on those cards. AFAIK, since they aren't "goods", but rather the equivalent of cash transfer cards, they aren't supposed to be taxed.

I almost considered the Dell deal till I saw the tax. Now amazon has dropped their 3 dollars right before I go to buy from them. Amazon is the bomb.

[quote name='worrybomb']Gotta love Amazon. I'm tempted to get this but I already have 8000+ MS Points in my account.[/QUOTE]

i'm assuming you don't have rock band then...otherwise...those points would all be gone...

:cool:

A 4000-points card for $41.99 is the equivalent of a 1600-points card for $16.80. The latter goes on sale for $14.99 at times, so I can wait a little longer for another sale to come around. I always pay less than $1 per 100 points.

Dang I haven't seen it lower than 18 from a retailer since that $0.02 fiasco at Amazon last Spring. When/where has it been $15?

[quote name='rapsodist']A 4000-points card for $41.99 is the equivalent of a 1600-points card for $16.80. The latter goes on sale for $14.99 at times, so I can wait a little longer for another sale to come around. I always pay less than $1 per 100 points.[/QUOTE]

In for 1. Used my $20 credit from buying Demon's Souls + GoW Collection a few days ago, so came out to $22 with free prime shipping.

Thanks op.

[quote name='Brother Daz']Target had them a few months back for $14.99 w/ $5 GC. Thats the best I've seen in a while[/QUOTE]

Wasn't it $19.99 but came with a $5 gift card? Good deal, I just always see people subtract the gc from the purchase price. To me getting something for $14.99 isn't the same as getting something for $19.99 + free $5 gift card, because you have to spend that money in that store. Plus most people aren't as tight with gc's as they are with their own money.

Thanks OP, I was looking for some MS points since I've finally managed to spend the 8,000 or so I had at one point. As somebody said this is the same as $16.76 for a 1600 point card, so not the best deal ever, but better than if I were to buy them direct if Microsoft has any decent dotw's coming up. Plus no tax.

[quote name='msdmoney']Wasn't it $19.99 but came with a $5 gift card? Good deal, I just always see people subtract the gc from the purchase price. To me getting something for $14.99 isn't the same as getting something for $19.99 + free $5 gift card, because you have to spend that money in that store. Plus most people aren't as tight with gc's as they are with their own money.

Thanks OP, I was looking for some MS points since I've finally managed to spend the 8,000 or so I had at one point. As somebody said this is the same as $16.76 for a 1600 point card, so not the best deal ever, but better than if I were to buy them direct if Microsoft has any decent dotw's coming up. Plus no tax.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I agree 100%. I think it stems from people wanting to brag about a deal a bit more than it actually was a deal. If I saw them for $15 outright, I'd have already purchased a half dozen cards.

[quote name='worrybomb']Well cards that are so-called "Powered by Fastcard" aren't charged tax in B&M stores. Now I don't know why Dell charges tax on this item unless the Points card is in its clamshell packaging meaning the card is not by Fastcard.

It's probably better if you wait for those Best Buy Reward Zone 10% off coupons that'll be in effect January 8. Not only will you get the same price as what Dell is offering but you'll also get Reward Zone points.[/QUOTE]

What? Where could I obtain these? Is it the coupons that they send you in the mail?

[quote name='Brother Daz']Bump for the Amazon price match[/QUOTE]
You should probably get the slickdeals referral out of the link.

[quote name='Skoad']You should probably get the slickdeals referral out of the link.[/QUOTE]I removed the SD link. CAG will automatically add in a referral link to the end of the URL, so it'll get fixed.

The OP should check before posting anything that has a referral tag attached to it, so he doesn't give away referral money from CAG to SD.

[quote name='shrike4242']I removed the SD link. CAG will automatically add in a referral link to the end of the URL, so it'll get fixed.

The OP should check before posting anything that has a referral tag attached to it, so he doesn't give away referral money from CAG to SD.[/QUOTE]
Oh shit, my bad I forgot to do that

EDIT- It was still showing the SD referral shrike, so I just changed it

[quote name='msdmoney']Wasn't it $19.99 but came with a $5 gift card? Good deal, I just always see people subtract the gc from the purchase price. To me getting something for $14.99 isn't the same as getting something for $19.99 + free $5 gift card, because you have to spend that money in that store. Plus most people aren't as tight with gc's as they are with their own money.

Thanks OP, I was looking for some MS points since I've finally managed to spend the 8,000 or so I had at one point. As somebody said this is the same as $16.76 for a 1600 point card, so not the best deal ever, but better than if I were to buy them direct if Microsoft has any decent dotw's coming up. Plus no tax.[/QUOTE]Yeah I usually dont think of it that way & I dont know why I said $14.99 w/$5 card, I'm just fucking up left and right today.:dunce:

I think it doesn't automatically add the referral when it's just the barebones "amazon.com/dp/productnumber".

[quote name='cool8man']Awesome Microsoft started selling HD movies and I just bought the HD versions of Star Trek, G.I. Joe, & Terminator 2 at 1600 points each and needed points for Iron Man, Cloverfield, Top Gun, Ferris Bueller, etc.

With this discount 1600pt movie = $16.80 and 1440pt. movie = $15.12. Not a bad price to own a 1080p version of a movie.

Also FYI for New Yorkers, there is no tax at Amazon for these point cards.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, not bad if you like "owning" digital data which could easily lost over an extended period of time when technology grows or that you'll never be able to resell in the future.

Thanks OP, I was looking for some MS points since I've finally managed to spend the 8,000 or so I had at one point. As somebody said this is the same as $16.76 for a 1600 point card, so not the best deal ever, but better than if I were to buy them direct if Microsoft has any decent dotw's coming up. Plus no tax.[/QUOTE]

Granted, the $5 GC is riskier if you don't know how to use it, but I think its basically an accurate way of phrasing the deal. And if you're lucky, as I was, you might get a cashier who'll automatically use the GC as payment for the MSP cards. I was prepared to use my card on some stuff that was ringing up with my fiancee, but they just took it off my own order.

I don't usually regard those as $15 GC's, though, because of tax which is now a little more in my state. I'm actually getting the cards for $16.23 now. Used to be an even $16 for 20% which was my target for MSP discounts. Still, this 16% discount is close. Especially to the 19% Target now yields, so its good enough for me. Not stock up good, but it'll do until Target or Amazon has something around 20% off.

[quote name='jcmproch']looks like its sold out[/QUOTE]

But you can still order, just pick it from the right side. YMMV.

As an FYI for the amazon link, it's taking you to the version sold by J&R Music world which is still 49.99. You have to click on the buying options on the right side below the "add to cart" to select the version sold from Amazon.

Edit - It's not sold out as far as I can tell, but you need to jump through a few extra steps to select the correct one.

[quote name='BStu78']Granted, the $5 GC is riskier if you don't know how to use it, but I think its basically an accurate way of phrasing the deal.[/QUOTE]

As long as you are going getting something that you were already planning to buy, that's sort of true. Whether you want to think of it as paying full price for the points card and got something for $5 free or paid $15 and full price for the other items, it's still a deal, but it's just not the same as $15 point card.

I picked up some. The cheapest that Amazon has had the point
cards was 39.99. The 12 month memberships were $36, which is
$4 less than what Amazon has offered them for. Of course, the
last time that I bought them from Amazon, they were the
(12 + 1) month cards.

Another thought is when will games weighing around 50 megs
start showing up more regularly on XBLA?

bread's done
Back