4000 MS points thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikejenks

CAGiversary!
Did it get deleted?

I won't repost the link in case there is a different problem with the site. However, I jumped on the deal, and got a response about the code coming shortly. Then I got an email saying I was "being scammed." A few minutes later I got an email with the code, and it worked just fine. Some clown (sadly from here, since these were all people that used the CAG code) likely just did a reply all to the email and thought he was being funny.

Long story short, I have 4k points for $28. It would be nice if you would just remove the links instead of deleting the thread, so we know if everyone else had the same result...

Ah, my bad. Seems a lot happened after I saw it last on page 1. I think I'll go change my paypal password now :)

Yes, even though I got my points. The deal is legit. I changed my PayPal password just in case, but I saw no problems with my transaction.

[quote name='mikejenks']Did it get deleted?
Then I got an email saying I was "being scammed." A few minutes later I got an email with the code, and it worked just fine. Some clown (sadly from here, since these were all people that used the CAG code) likely just did a reply all to the email and thought he was being funny.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, he sent a message to everyone that ordered, and someone replied with a smartass remark. I don't know why everyone had to be so negative. I understand that it seemed shady at first, but everything went through for me.

The reason it got locked is that the codes are stolen (purchased from Amazon with stolen credit cards). Just because the code works doesn't mean the seller is legit. I don't think there'd be any problems with your Paypal accounts or anything for the people that ordered, it's just that they (and the other ebay sellers most likely) are selling stolen merchandise.

[quote name='kf99']The reason it got locked is that the codes are stolen (purchased from Amazon with stolen credit cards). Just because the code works doesn't mean the seller is legit. I don't think there'd be any problems with your Paypal accounts or anything for the people that ordered, it's just that they (and the other ebay sellers most likely) are selling stolen merchandise.[/QUOTE]
How do you know they were stolen?

[quote name='newlu']How do you know they were stolen?[/QUOTE]

I think it's almost definite that these were stolen. I stupidly had my xbox account hacked into a while back and they bought about 5000 points before it got locked down. The charges were reversed, but they made off with the points. Microsoft is the one who eats it, and they are most definitely stolen codes. There's no way they can be selling them that cheap any other way. If Microsoft is going to sell points to someone for resale for that cheap, they're going to do it through a reputable dealer, like Amazon or NewEgg, and not through some Chinese fly by night operation.

[quote name='charlescheese']I think it's almost definite that these were stolen. I stupidly had my xbox account hacked into a while back and they bought about 5000 points before it got locked down. The charges were reversed, but they made off with the points. Microsoft is the one who eats it, and they are most definitely stolen codes. There's no way they can be selling them that cheap any other way. If Microsoft is going to sell points to someone for resale for that cheap, they're going to do it through a reputable dealer, like Amazon or NewEgg, and not through some Chinese fly by night operation.[/QUOTE]

How was your Xbox account hacked? Now I'm paranoid.

[quote name='myiamoto']How was your Xbox account hacked? Now I'm paranoid.[/QUOTE]

Just like people can hack into bank accounts, email accounts, etc. This why you buy points and such in stores so your XBL account doesn't hold your credit card info.

Common sense. If it was possible to sell these for under $30 for a profit, there would be a ton of sellers selling for around that price, instead of the occasional few who sell out quickly (who are almost always not from the US, but selling US codes).

The codes also jumped up to the #1 bestsellers list (from around the #10 position) in the video games section on Amazon after the ebay thread was posted a couple days ago. Does it make sense that an item that isn't on sale would jump up in sales that much? I've followed Amazon bestsellers for well over a year, and that just doens't happen unless Amazon puts something on sale or its a hot item that they just got in stock (i.e. new releases, or Wii, Wii Fit).

There's so much competition on ebay, if selling these at $30 is profitable, you'd see more than a handful of sellers doing it.

If a pawnshop has a few brand new Wiis for sale for $180 you might not think anything of it (and it may very well be legit). But if they had a seemingly unlimited supply of them for that much less than the competition, than something fishy is obviously going on. Same principle applies here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back