400GB 16-Layer Blu-Ray Disc

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!
Feedback
89 (100%)
I'm surprised no one posted this yet. (At least I don't think so. I searched and nothing.) Anyway, 400GB Blu-Ray disc that's compatible with all Blu-Ray players to date. Just think, every season of the Sopranos in Hi-Def on one disc. :drool:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/02/pioneer-shows-off-16-layer-400gb-blu-ray-disc-affirms-compatibi/

And don't start the 'We'll never need this' bull shit. We'll need it sooner than you think. The PS1 used 700MB discs, the PS2 used 9GB discs and the PS3 used 50GB discs. Do you really think 400GB is that far away?

That be cool just for the reason you brought up. I like buying my favorite shows on DVD, but sometimes I'm too lazy to swap discs to see certain episodes. So it'd be cool to see an entire series on one disc.

[quote name='Duckbutt']That be cool just for the reason you brought up. I like buying my favorite shows on DVD, but sometimes I'm too lazy to swap discs to see certain episodes. So it'd be cool to see an entire series on one disc.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree, but it's pretty funny how damn lazy we're getting.

Nevertheless, I'll always prefer physical copies over digital distribution.

Great for movies/tv...pretty pointless for consoles right now...by the time we see 400gb games we will already have consoles that come with 5tb solid state hard drives

what the diff from blu-ray movie and ps3 games

so would ps3 games be on a 400GB blu-rays

Heavenly Sword had full uncompressed audio (10 gb worth) but it didnt help that game any and I dont remember everyone going apeshit for the great sound either

[quote name='Malik112099']Heavenly Sword had full uncompressed audio (10 gb worth) but it didnt help that game any and I dont remember everyone going apeshit for the great sound either[/QUOTE]

But that game had like 7 different languages.

[quote name='Nibi']Aren't load times going to be epic?[/QUOTE]

Its a potential problem, but I think that if devs were to handle games the way that Bethesda putting information that's most needed in multiple spots around the disc, that way the diode doesn't have to work as hard. Doing that helped to improve Load times, having a 400gb disc may help to improve load times.. if its done right.

and if you break, lose, have it get stolen, or damaged you are out of a whole season or series of a tv show. Seems really like all the eggs in one basket.

i would rather games come on a flash drive than 400gb disks...no worrying about load times or disk space on the console, plus it eliminates the possibility of mechanical failure in optical drives. Usb 3.0 is more than fast enough to handle it.

I agree with Malik, I say SSDs are the way to go. They're getting cheaper, better and bigger every yet.

But also, no, load times won't be epic. Same as any Blu-Ray. The files will probably be indexed, so easily findable. It's the same Blu-Rays we all know and love, they just have 14 more layers.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']and if you break, lose, have it get stolen, or damaged you are out of a whole season or series of a tv show. Seems really like all the eggs in one basket.[/quote]

And that's why nobody borrows my stuff. If my discs gets damaged or stolen, it's my fault for loaning it out in the first place. Otherwise I'm making sure they look as good as they did the day I bought them. Plus Blu-Rays are harder to scratch than CDs and DVDs.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Losless audio and high definition video bloats up tremendously fast. I could see a Final Fantasy-type game maximizing this.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree :D

All the series of Spooks on an entire Blu Ray Disc... :drool:

The PS1 used 700MB discs, the PS2 used 9GB discs and the PS3 used 50GB discs.

I know the PS2 could support 9GB discs, but only a few games actually used them. Most used the 4.7GB DVDs to prevent issues with the layer switch.

I believe the most well known was Xenosaga Episode I, which was DVD9 and had some issues with switching to the second layer of the disc on PS2s. In the future, you'll notice that they used two 4.7GB DVDs rather than deal with the hassle of a single 9GB DVD.

Just a little tidbit of information :)

Supposely it doesnt worth with the blu ray players we have now 50 50 chance IMO it will work with ps3 with the firmware updates etc.

bread's done
Back