40GB or 60GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!
Feedback
89 (100%)
I'm saving up money for a PS3. I'll have enough in about a week. Anyway, I can't decide between a 40GB or 60GB(or 80GB). If I buy a 60GB, it'll probably cost me $550 used. But, if I buy the 40GB, I can get one for $350 used, and use the extra $200 that I would have spent on the 60GB, to buy a used slim PS2. This also leaves a few bucks for games. I want the PS2 compatibility, so it's either one or the other. And the 20GB model doesn't have wireless, plus it's nearly impossible to find. So would it be better to have a 40GB PS3 and a PS2, or just a 60GB PS3? (IS there anything I'm missing?)

The 60GB/80GB will also upscale the PS2 games to 720p or 1080i, so it will look better than the standard PS2. The games aren't going to significantly better just because of this though.

Your choice on whether or not the upscaling is worth it to you. You should note that the 80GB is not as compatible as the 60GB PS3 for backwards compatibility.

Well, also keep into account the growing number of PS3 games with multi-gig required installs too. It may start to add up if you get a large collection. That's the only downside I can think of with getting a 40 gb instead of a 60. But hey, if you don't mind having another console plugged in and want 100% compatibility also, go with the 40 gb and slim ps2. It just works out better that way, I would think.

40GB.

Quieter console, runs cooler, can find one new much easier, uses less power, and contains everything you really need.

Unless you are just dying to play PS2 games that don't support accessories, then you can look into a 60GB.

All I gotta say is that many people assume they really want PS2 BC, buy a PS3 that has it, and usually they won't use it (especially when they have an HDTV and try comparing PS2 games to PS3 games). I know many who felt that way (including me in some ways), but usually just stick to playing PS2 games on my PS2 (If I really want to play a PS2 game) because there's no issues playing games on my PS2 regardless. Also, just not as fun to play PS2 games on PS3 since you can't see messages you receive while playing a PS2 game, doesn't show what game you are playing online, reconnecting the controller can become a pain, and so on.

I kind of wish I had a 40GB right now, but I'll get one down the road.

If you want to play import ps2 games, get a 20, 60 or 80 gb JPN system.... They play import ps2 games only and all PS3 games/ Blu Ray Movies that are region 1 (US included)

Unless your TV already has an excellent upscaler the games are going to look much better upscaled on the PS3. Plus if it's all on the PS3 you won't have to buy PS2 memory cards or PS2 controllers. I'd definitely go with the 60GB if that's your only option.

If you don't mind not having wireless (or buying a separate adaptor) you can get a used 20GB from Gamestop.com for $380.
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=64005

Meh, the 20GB at Gamestop doesn't come with the box. Also, I really want the wireless. Anyway, I think I'm going to go with the PS2 and 40GB. I mainly play alone, and I already have a memory card, so I don't need to buy any extra accessories. This way I can play PS2 games like DDR without the PS2-PS3 adapter. Also, I've got laptop hard drives everywhere, so I don't worry about running out of space. Also, my TV is only 18", there's nothing any cord can do to make it look that much better.

The 60gb is best option. You'll never regret buying the best version. If you get the 40gb version you'll always second guess yourself. Why buy an additional machine when you can have everything in one box. IF you know you're going to buy a PS2 (if you get the 40gb) then get the 60gb instead, at least you can upsclale. Plus you get more USB ports and imo that's never a bad thing.

FYI, the 60GB model sells for $470 at GameFunk (I bought mine there). There's a thread on them at http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165794

[quote name='The Mana Knight']40GB.
Quieter console, runs cooler, can find one new much easier, uses less power, and contains everything you really need.
[/QUOTE]

I have the 60GB, and its dead quiet. Even quieter than my slim PS2 when reading discs. I'm not sure how Sony could really have improved on it.

As for playing PS2 games, having limitless (based on HDD space) memory cards is very nice. No more shuffling them around trying to find the one with the right save, or the one with free space. I'm not ditching my PS2, but I play almost all my PS2 games on my PS3.

The 60GB is the ultimate PS3. I reccommend it if you can afford the extra $100 or so. You can always upgrade the HDD for more space on your own. But I guess it also depends on how many PS2 games you have, and wether or not you're using an HD output.

Also, I believe that the 60gb (and 80/20gb) models have Super Audio CD functionality not found on non-BC consoles (i.e. 40gb models).
I have a handful of SACDs that I play on my PS3 that sound spectacular using a sound system. So for me, it's just nice to have that functionality.

It's something to consider if you REALLY care about SACD playback, though I really doubt people would buy a PS3 for just playing SACDs... :lol:

[quote name='freakyzeeky']Also, I believe that the 60gb (and 80/20gb) models have Super Audio CD functionality not found on non-BC consoles (i.e. 40gb models).
I have a handful of SACDs that I play on my PS3 that sound spectacular using a sound system. So for me, it's just nice to have that functionality.

It's something to consider if you REALLY care about SACD playback, though I really doubt people would buy a PS3 for just playing SACDs... :lol:[/quote]
Truth... I didn't mention it because I didn't think anyone had SACDs...:lol:

IMO:
Buy a 60gig if you have the type of PS2 collection you think is irreplaceable (those hard to find RPGs, etc.). If you have no PS2 games, or crappy/run of the mill PS2 games (ie. any Maddens or other things that are generally replaceable), then a 40 gig will do.

If your PS2 collection is valuable, then buy the console that will continue to play them years into the future, after your PS2 is dead and buried, with the most BC and upscaling possible.

If you have some PS2 games, but aren't sure if you value them or you want to play them and don't own a PS2, get an 80gig. The added bonus is HD space and the possibility of a decent bundle (such as MGS4).

Also, don't be afraid of buying a PS3 without a card reader. Any crappy USB card reader will work, and they cost about $10-$20. I bought this crappy one and tried it, it worked great.
http://www.comgears.com/cr/micro.html

EDIT: If you find a 20gig, same logic as a 60gig, but only as long as you have a wireless router you can hook it up too (you'll need that card reader, too).

I went with a 20 Gig early on over a 60 because the wireless and card reader weren't a big deal to me. I think the logic holds true for a 40 (provided, as was said before, you don't want or have a large irreplaceable PS2 collection to play).

The HDD space is immaterial. I put a 120GB in my 20 and still have 55GB free (and I've got demos out the wazoo, tons of saves, a few divx movies, lots of mp3s and the like clogging up the thing...)

I think in the near future I'll buy a 40 gig for "travel"... so my 20 gig can stay in one place. ;)

[quote name='franz ferdinand']

I have the 60GB, and its dead quiet. Even quieter than my slim PS2 when reading discs. I'm not sure how Sony could really have improved on it.

As for playing PS2 games, having limitless (based on HDD space) memory cards is very nice. No more shuffling them around trying to find the one with the right save, or the one with free space. I'm not ditching my PS2, but I play almost all my PS2 games on my PS3.

The 60GB is the ultimate PS3. I reccommend it if you can afford the extra $100 or so. You can always upgrade the HDD for more space on your own. But I guess it also depends on how many PS2 games you have, and wether or not you're using an HD output.[/QUOTE]

Gotta agree with all of this.

Went through the same process, although I already had a PS2. Decided to spend the extra $100 and get the 60GB, and try to sell my PS2 and all it's accessories for as close to $200 as possible. I sorta make money on that transaction. I have a dead-quiet PS3 that will play nearly everything I throw at it, and I'm excited again for PS2 games. I have a ton of space for installs, but you could fix that later on with either.

I just love not having a gimped version.

I have a 20gb and a 120gb hard drive I'll swap if I ever need it. I'm not sure why the second poster said the PS3 only upscales PS2 games to 720p/1080i as mine upscales them to 1080p. Gamestop sells refurbished 20gbs for 379 and refurbished 60gbs for 449 so I'd look there. Check out their store locater to see if there's any available near you. $550 for a used 60gb is pretty high.

You also have to keep in mind that if you buy a PS2, it is not meant for HDTV and most games will output in 480i, some in 480p, with component cables. Some people complain about the quality of the picture, depending on the television.

Mine is dead quiet as well.

Well, I don't actually have any PS2 games, but I'll probably buy some in the future. (Not many, but 10 or 20.) And I'd like to be able to play them. This decision is just so brain racking. Also, I don't care about SACDs, and I have a USB card reader. I'll let you guys know when I decide.

[quote name='Access_Denied']Well, I don't actually have any PS2 games, but I'll probably buy some in the future. (Not many, but 10 or 20.) And I'd like to be able to play them. This decision is just so brain racking. Also, I don't care about SACDs, and I have a USB card reader. I'll let you guys know when I decide.[/QUOTE]

I hadn't touched my PS2 in months. Now that I got a PS3, I want to play GT4 and all the Ratchets again.

It's that 'new game console' feeling, you just want to play with it all the time. If you get two new consoles, it won't be as special.

Go with a 60GB from Gamefunk... From what I hear, great quality and they are like a rising stock (only to go up in value...)

Can't go wrong, and it seems like you will still have some coin left over for games if you get the 60GB from them...

It's easy this is what I did... you have to think about what you need

I have a slim ps2 downstairs
i bought a 150 gig hardrive to install
I dont need the ports

So what do I do? I buy the 40 gig, and I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back