40GB PS3 and DS3 Japanese launch numbers on day 1

[quote name='Vanigan']That's funny, because I don't see people giving MS as big a stink about the hardware failure issues as they give Sony with BC, or any little perceived insult against the consumer. [/QUOTE]

I don't know that I would say that. I held off on buying a 360 for over a year longer than I'd like to because of the failure rate. And net forums are full of threads complaining about shipping back RROD systems, MS taking forever to get a fixed console back, threads about looking for Falcons, Zephyrs etc. in hopes to get something that won't break.

The failure rate sucks balls, and I'm still worried about it. But in the end of the day I still went with 360 over PS3 as it was cheaper AND had more games that were must buys for me. The PS3 still doesn't have a true must buy game for me, just a handful of games that I wouldn't mind playing like Ratchet and Resistance etc.

But I think all three consoles get their fair share of flack from other console fanboys on the Net. Sony for being in third, launcing at $500-600, dropping BC, losing exclusives, having "no games" etc. MS for the failure rate, being just "shooters sports and racing games" etc. Nintendo for having last gen graphics, waggle being a gimmick, being kiddy, too many minigames etc. etc.

You just have to ignore the fanboy trolling. It goes on for all 3, but one just tends to notice it more for their console of choice (if they have one).

[quote name='mykevermin']You may want to use his words against him, and not me, k? Because I don't believe it in reference to any console, truth be told. If you say "I have system X, so I won't buy system Y or Z because I don't want/need them all" that's fine. But when you turn it into "it has no games that interest me," then, IMO, you're trying way too hard to convince yourself and that, when it clearly isn't true.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, "no games that interest me" is too strong a statement to make as all 3 consoles are getting varied libraries and anyone that likes gaming will find something that appeals to them on all three.

Now, one could say "there are no/not enough must play games that warrant me paying $____ for console X" as that's more fair.

That's pretty much where I'm at with the PS3. I'd kind of like to play Ratchet, Resistance, Motorstorm etc., but no where near enough to buy a PS3 for $400-500. Especially when I don't even have time to play all the games that interest me on the consoles I already own.

But to just say there are "no games" or even "no games that interest me" is just silly.

[quote name='Thongsy']
Most games will be overhyped, overrated, only time will tell. Both Sony and MS got some really overhyped games this year, like Heavenly Sword and Bioshock, even Assassin's Creed which has been hyped up for like two years now. As far as I know all of these are single player games that can be finish in 5-10 hours and have probably gotten the most hype this year.[/QUOTE]

I don't think Bioshock was overhyped. Perfect score in EGM, great reviews across the board, and most importantly, one of the best games I've ever played.

And it took about 20 hours to finish, not 5-10.

I have my PS2 console and all my games on e-bay right now.
Planning on getting a PS3 soon, or maybe a new PC.

[quote name='elmyra']Yeah, it's a shame how the only games available to play on the Xbox 360 are the ones rated in the top ten at Gamerankings.[/quote]

Because that's clearly what I meant.....

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Because that's clearly what I meant.....[/quote]

Sorry, I went by what you wrote. If your words have a hidden meaning, please share it with us!

[quote name='elmyra']Sorry, I went by what you wrote. If your words have a hidden meaning, please share it with us![/quote]
"I gaurentee you if you look at Gamerankings the 7 of the top 10 highest ranked games on the 360 are shooters."

Wheres the hidden meaning? I clearly said the top 10 highest rated games at Gamerankings ON THE 360 are shooters. Not in general, not in the history of gaming, ON THE 360. As if you click on Xbox 360, click on ratings descending order, and it goes from top rated to lowest rated. Still any hidden meaning in what I wrote?

I really want a white PS3. It's a shame they took out full BC, it was really nice with the internal memory cards and upscaling.

Score
1. The Orange Box X360 EA Games 40 9.0 96.0%
2. BioShock X360 2K Games 83 9.2 95.3%
3. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare X360 Activision 26 8.8 95.0%

4. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion X360 2K Games 102 9.2 94.1%
5. Gears of War X360 Microsoft Game Studios 107 8.7 93.8%
6. Halo 3 X360 Microsoft Game Studios 80 8.5 93.3%

7. Guitar Hero II X360 RedOctane 55 8.1 92.1%
8. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter X360 Ubisoft 88 8.7 90.6%
9. Call of Duty 2 X360 Activision 87 8.8 90.0%

10. Forza Motorsport 2 X360 Microsoft Game Studios 68 9.1 89.8%

Just to prove my point, and gee what do you know, 7 out of the 10 highest ranked games on the 360 are shooters.

Tim, I liked your old post better.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']"I gaurentee you if you look at Gamerankings the 7 of the top 10 highest ranked games on the 360 are shooters."

Wheres the hidden meaning? I clearly said the top 10 highest rated games at Gamerankings ON THE 360 are shooters. Not in general, not in the history of gaming, ON THE 360. As if you click on Xbox 360, click on ratings descending order, and it goes from top rated to lowest rated. Still any hidden meaning in what I wrote?[/QUOTE]

But what the fuck is your point other than trying to say that all/most of the good games on the 360 are shooters?

That only works if there are only 10 well reviewed games on the 360.

There are 59 360 games with 20 or more reviews on gamerankings that average 80% or above. And most aren't shooters.

The "360 only has shooters" or "all the good games on 360 are shooters" statements need to die, right along with "the PS3 has no games" statements (it has 24 80% or above).

[quote name='dmaul1114']But what the fuck is your point other than trying to say that all/most of the good games on the 360 are shooters?

That only works if there are only 10 well reviewed games on the 360.

There are 59 360 games with 20 or more reviews on gamerankings that average 80% or above. And most aren't shooters.

The "360 only has shooters" or "all the good games on 360 are shooters" statements need to die, right along with "the PS3 has no games" statements (it has 24 80% or above).[/quote]

Yes, but systems are usually sold based on the top 10 games. Either way, I am right (to a certain extent.) ;)

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Yes, but systems are usually sold based on the top 10 games. Either way, I am right (to a certain extent.) ;)[/QUOTE]

They're usually either sold on impulse buys because of one game, or based on the whole library by people who actually take time to research the purchase.

Top ten has a lot of wait, but anyone says the 360 is only (or primarily) shooters is just as stupid and biased as someone who says the PS3 has no games.

Both the 360 and PS3 are relatively FPS/shooter heavy. But they both have plenty to play in other genres.

[quote name='dmaul1114']They're usually either sold on impulse buys because of one game, or based on the whole library by people who actually take time to research the purchase.

Top ten has a lot of wait, but anyone says the 360 is only (or primarily) shooters is just as stupid and biased as someone who says the PS3 has no games.

Both the 360 and PS3 are relatively FPS/shooter heavy. But they both have plenty to play in other genres.[/quote]
That's because Americans like FPS, either way, PS3 has more to offer in the Action/Adventure genre, which just happens to be my favorite.

And yes, the whole 360 only has shooters was wrong, but the games that get the most hype for it are shooters, and there are really no games on it, old or new, that were worth spending 40-60 bucks on. If Lost Planet was 20$ I would have got it in a hard beat, same with Dead Rising.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']
And yes, the whole 360 only has shooters was wrong, but the games that get the most hype for it are shooters, and there are really no games on it, old or new, that were worth spending 40-60 bucks on. If Lost Planet was 20$ I would have got it in a hard beat, same with Dead Rising.[/QUOTE]

There aren't many games period worth $40-60 to me. That's what renting, borrowing and waiting for price drops are for.

If the 360 isn't your bag, that's fine. Just don't make dumb ass blanket statments like "it has only shooters" or state opinions like it has "no games worth $40-60" as to others it has plenty.

The PS3 game libarary and announced exclusives doesn't excite me much at all, but I'm not going to cry about it having no games. It just lacks games that make me want to shell out the $400-500 to own a PS3 right now.

If the 360 is so bad, then just sell yours. I semi-feel your pain as I have a Wii and I'm not that fond of it. But I can't bring myself to sell it as the big Nintendo releases (Mario, Metroid, Zelda) are so damn good.....but also so few and far between.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Score
1. The Orange Box X360 EA Games 40 9.0 96.0%
2. BioShock X360 2K Games 83 9.2 95.3%
3. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare X360 Activision 26 8.8 95.0%

4. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion X360 2K Games 102 9.2 94.1%
5. Gears of War X360 Microsoft Game Studios 107 8.7 93.8%
6. Halo 3 X360 Microsoft Game Studios 80 8.5 93.3%

7. Guitar Hero II X360 RedOctane 55 8.1 92.1%
8. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter X360 Ubisoft 88 8.7 90.6%
9. Call of Duty 2 X360 Activision 87 8.8 90.0%

10. Forza Motorsport 2 X360 Microsoft Game Studios 68 9.1 89.8%

Just to prove my point, and gee what do you know, 7 out of the 10 highest ranked games on the 360 are shooters.

Tim, I liked your old post better.[/QUOTE]

If you look at the 10 highest selling games on 360, most of this list would be regenerated. It would be pretty rediculous for anyone to believe that these are the "only" games that 360 has. But these shooters are probably what most xbox 360 owners are buying, and thus yes, the 360 is a shooter friendly console. But overall, I think that's much more of a compliment, than an insult to the system. 360 has no beat em up.. like Heavenly Sword, [oh yeah.. Marvel Ultimate Alliance which is old now] there's no Card collector game like Eye of Judgement, 360 still has no great platformer... nothing to really compete with Mario, and Ratchet this year. But hey, there's still Mass Effect.. ughhh another SHOOTER!

Actually, the "big" games for the 360 are shooters. Even Mass Effect, which is supposed to be the 360's big RPG this year is as much a shooter as it is an RPG. The main big non shooter is Forza 2.

The 360 has many other types of games, but the really good ones, and "big", high budget, high production value games are almost all shooters. MS knows its market, the Xbox 1 was basically sold on the strength of its main shooter, Halo since it was the only console of the time with the horsepower to handle shooters of that caliber.

Will this be always the case? Nope, I'm sure MS knows its weakness in that area and they've already got publishing deals for quite a few non shooter games. In fact, they've kind of shot themselves in a foot by releasing a very big shooter, Halo 3, that's going to sap all the energy out of their shooter market for the near future.

Remember, that dominating the shooter market, specifically the first and third person shooter, was key to the 360's dominance in the US. We're strangely fixated on shooter games overe here in the US.

Sony is trying to catch up and appeal more to the US market by snatching that exclusive on Haze, and going all out with their funding on Killzone 2.

edit: Even Kameo, which was supposed to be the 360's platformer, had what felt like a lot of added combat, and even shooting mechanics into the game.

[quote name='Vanigan']
edit: Even Kameo, which was supposed to be the 360's platformer, had what felt like a lot of added combat, and even shooting mechanics into the game.[/QUOTE]

And so does Ratchet and Clank.

I've always consider those games just as much 3rd person shooters and platformers. Pretty much a 50/50 mix (with Deadlocked being even more shooter heavy).

[quote name='Corvin']You defend one blanket statement while posting another. I agree about the PS3 statement, to say it has no games is wrong.

However the 360 is only shooters argument is just flamebait and a false one at that. Forgot which thread it was, but someone here broke down the two libraries and the 360 had fewer shooters than the PS3 by percentage. I think it was 16% of the 360 library vs. 19% of the PS3 library. So if you want to call a spade a spade, the PS3 is clearly only good for shooters since that is almost a fifth of their library. :lol: See how ridiculous that sounds? It's a silly argument that needs to go away, just like the 'PS3 has no games' argument.[/quote]
Was it that list that compared the 360 and PS3 lineups, with the 360 list having a bunch of Japanese-only 360 games while the PS3 lineup had none of those included in it? I inquired about that, but a mod locked that thread shortly after that point. Either way, you might not want to use those lists as fact just yet.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']And yes, the whole 360 only has shooters was wrong,[/quote]
Yes.

but the games that get the most hype for it are shooters,
I could mostly agree with that, though I remember a lot of talk leading up to the release of other games like Oblivion, Saint's Row, and PGR3 (and they all reviewed and sold well, over a million each). They're old news now, but they've done well.

and there are really no games on it, old or new, that were worth spending 40-60 bucks on. If Lost Planet was 20$ I would have got it in a hard beat, same with Dead Rising.
Do you really think this is any better than saying "Hurr, the PS3 has no games worth more than $20"? You're still stating your ridiculous opinions as fact.

[quote name='Vanigan']Actually, the "big" games for the 360 are shooters. Even Mass Effect, which is supposed to be the 360's big RPG this year is as much a shooter as it is an RPG. The main big non shooter is Forza 2.

The 360 has many other types of games, but the really good ones, and "big", high budget, high production value games are almost all shooters. MS knows its market, the Xbox 1 was basically sold on the strength of its main shooter, Halo since it was the only console of the time with the horsepower to handle shooters of that caliber.

Will this be always the case? Nope, I'm sure MS knows its weakness in that area and they've already got publishing deals for quite a few non shooter games. In fact, they've kind of shot themselves in a foot by releasing a very big shooter, Halo 3, that's going to sap all the energy out of their shooter market for the near future.

Remember, that dominating the shooter market, specifically the first and third person shooter, was key to the 360's dominance in the US. We're strangely fixated on shooter games overe here in the US.

Sony is trying to catch up and appeal more to the US market by snatching that exclusive on Haze, and going all out with their funding on Killzone 2.

edit: Even Kameo, which was supposed to be the 360's platformer, had what felt like a lot of added combat, and even shooting mechanics into the game.[/QUOTE]You're pretty much right, but MS has a very hard time getting the non-shooters to even sell on their consoles (outside of Oblivion). MS has tried to appeal to other markets by making Fuzion Frenzy 2, Viva Pinata, Blue Dragon, and by getting third party games like Beautfil Katamari, Eternal Sonata, etc. The bad thing is that all of them sold pretty bad (or disappointing to say the least). I expect Scene It to bomb badly too. Even Forza 2, a pretty big racer, hasn't managed very much over 500k (The original Forza was released at the end of the Xbox life cycle and pulled around one million). Like someone once said, MS trying to appeal to the more casual market is similar to Victoria Secret trying to sell Men's Clothing (Basically, Victoria Secret is known for Women's stuff and it would be near impossible to ever sell Men's stuff due to their reputation). The casuals are with PS2 or Wii currently. MS just isn't going to get that market (It's not a bad thing, they just need to continue doing what they are doing).

As for the list, yeah, I find it very disgusting because only TWO of those are within a genre I like, but those two games are far from being what I like (GHII is good, but I greatly prefer a DDR or something, and Forza 2 is good, but I'm already bored of it. I prefer PGR or RR).

Anyway, I'm really curious today to see how many PS3 games make the charts (or next week). I know DW6 came out, but there's also a new Winning Eleven and Ratchet & Clank Future (R&C has sold well in Japan over the years).

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Was it that list that compared the 360 and PS3 lineups, with the 360 list having a bunch of Japanese-only 360 games while the PS3 lineup had none of those included in it? I inquired about that, but a mod locked that thread shortly after that point. Either way, you might not want to use those lists as fact just yet.[/QUOTE]He pulled the list from an achievement site, which listed many Japanese games.
[quote name='Vanigan']Actually, the "big" games for the 360 are shooters. Even Mass Effect, which is supposed to be the 360's big RPG this year is as much a shooter as it is an RPG. The main big non shooter is Forza 2.

edit: Even Kameo, which was supposed to be the 360's platformer, had what felt like a lot of added combat, and even shooting mechanics into the game.[/QUOTE]You're pretty much right, but MS has a very hard time getting the non-shooters to even sell on their consoles (outside of Oblivion). MS has tried to appeal to other markets by making Fuzion Frenzy 2, Viva Pinata, Blue Dragon, and by getting third party games like Beautfil Katamari, Eternal Sonata, etc. The bad thing is that all of them sold pretty bad (or disappointing to say the least). I expect Scene It to bomb badly too. Even Forza 2, a pretty big racer, hasn't managed very much over 500k (The original Forza was released at the end of the Xbox life cycle and pulled around one million). Like someone once said, MS trying to appeal to the more casual market is similar to Victoria Secret trying to sell Men's Clothing (Basically, Victoria Secret is known for Women's stuff and it would be near impossible to ever sell Men's stuff due to their reputation).

As for the list, yeah, I find it very disgusting because only TWO of those are within a genre I like, but those two games are far from being what I like (GHII is good, but I greatly prefer a DDR or something, and Forza 2 is good, but I'm already bored of it. I prefer PGR or RR).

Anyway, I'm really curious today to see how many PS3 games make the charts (or next week). I know DW6 came out, but there's also a new Winning Eleven and Ratchet & Clank Future (R&C has sold well in Japan over the years).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
You're pretty much right, but MS has a very hard time getting the non-shooters to even sell on their consoles (outside of Oblivion). MS has tried to appeal to other markets by making Fuzion Frenzy 2, Viva Pinata, Blue Dragon, and by getting third party games like Beautfil Katamari, Eternal Sonata, etc. The bad thing is that all of them sold pretty bad (or disappointing to say the least).[/QUOTE]

But sales are another matter altogether and shouldn't be a factor in comparing libraries at all. The diversity is there, people just choose not to acknowledge it, and proceed with the lowest common denominator reply "the 360 is only good for FPS, racing and sports games."

I think the 360 only falls flat on platformers and action titles like Heavenly Sword or God of War.

I wonder if Ratchet will do better than it did here.

[quote name='Corvin']But sales are another matter altogether and shouldn't be a factor in comparing libraries at all. The diversity is there, people just choose not to acknowledge it, and proceed with the lowest common denominator reply "the 360 is only good for FPS, racing and sports games."

I think the 360 only falls flat on platformers and action titles like Heavenly Sword or God of War.

I wonder if Ratchet will do better than it did here.[/QUOTE]

Sales at least let you know what games your audience is playing. It also helps devs know what games to develop. I think devs this year, knew (or at least felt) that people wanted FPS titles, and 3d shooters, so that's what 360 got a lot of. I believe that a FPS is an easier game to pull off than a 3d action adventure title, or a platformer, that's why many devs don't do platformers like they used to do. [then again, back in the day, everything was a platformer]

Also, the strength of online dictates game development too, people like to play FPS' games online, you can't have a online platformer, and whose willing to take a chance on that. I bet that if Little big Planet works out well online, you may see some online platformers emualte LBP on 360. Games without online don't do well on the 360, so its hard to release any game on the 360 without a strong and meaningful online component, thus platformers traditional are single player and don't have online.

360 needs good two player - four player online co-op games for them to do well on their system.

Scene it on 360 would do well - If you could play online... and play for acheivement points.... Or maybe make the grand prize be... a free online game, or a free skin....

oh my where's Gametek.. becuase now is the time to do gameshow games, and add in the online component, and now you got a great casual set of games with a huge online audience. [only drawback is getting casual gamers to pay additional cost of being online via live]

Scene It over live would be a cheating nightmare. Everyone would just play with a laptop in their lap opened to Google and Wikipedia.

[quote name='Thomas96']Sales at least let you know what games your audience is playing. [/QUOTE]

I don't give a shit what the audience is playing. I give a shit what games I have available to buy.

And there's plenty for me to buy on the 360 besides shooters, regardless of them selling the best relative to other genres.

[quote name='Corvin']But sales are another matter altogether and shouldn't be a factor in comparing libraries at all. The diversity is there, people just choose not to acknowledge it, and proceed with the lowest common denominator reply "the 360 is only good for FPS, racing and sports games." [/quote]They should because they tell what a particular platform likes. Many FPS did not do too great on PS2 last gen, while many platformers did.

There's just no way around it, the Xbox demographic is heavy FPS/western RPG oriented.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']He pulled the list from an achievement site, which listed many Japanese games.
You're pretty much right, but MS has a very hard time getting the non-shooters to even sell on their consoles (outside of Oblivion). MS has tried to appeal to other markets by making Fuzion Frenzy 2, Viva Pinata, Blue Dragon, and by getting third party games like Beautfil Katamari, Eternal Sonata, etc. The bad thing is that all of them sold pretty bad (or disappointing to say the least). I expect Scene It to bomb badly too. Even Forza 2, a pretty big racer, hasn't managed very much over 500k (The original Forza was released at the end of the Xbox life cycle and pulled around one million).[/quote]
So, where are you getting your numbers? VG Chartz puts Forza Motorsports 2 at 1.51 million sold. If you've got a better source, I'd love a link. And here are a few more million sellers that aren't shooters or Oblivion, again according to VG Chartz: Saints Row, Dead Rising, PGR3, Crackdown, Guitar Hero II, DOA4, Madden 08, and Fight Night Round 3. Three of those are multiconsole, but they're on the Xbox 360 and selling well.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I don't give a shit what the audience is playing. I give a shit what games I have available to buy.

And there's plenty for me to buy on the 360 besides shooters, regardless of them selling the best relative to other genres.[/QUOTE]

I don't care either, but that's because we're both "consumers" but developers, have to look at market trends... that's why Konami is working on Wii Fitness instead of ZOE 3 or some other great title.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']They should because they tell what a particular platform likes. Many FPS did not do too great on PS2 last gen, while many platformers did.

There's just no way around it, the Xbox demographic is heavy FPS/western RPG oriented.[/QUOTE]

You're missing the point. Sales and demographic mean shit when throwing out "the xbox only has shooters" argument. Neither of those mean anything when looking at the library. The variety is there, plain and simple. Does it matter that Viva Pinata sold like ass? No, I can still go to the store and get it if I choose. You make it sound like if a game isn't a million seller it will disappear off store shelves.

I didn't think it was such a hard concept to grasp.

[quote name='Corvin']
I didn't think it was such a hard concept to grasp.[/QUOTE]
It is for those that choose to be blind.

[quote name='Vanigan']Even Mass Effect, which is supposed to be the 360's big RPG this year is as much a shooter as it is an RPG.[/QUOTE]

Really!?!?! Guess I should read more previews/hope for a demo. I had just assumed "Bioware" = "damned solid RPG."

[quote name='mykevermin']Really!?!?! Guess I should read more previews/hope for a demo. I had just assumed "Bioware" = "damned solid RPG."[/quote]

Sort of, all the combat is Thrid person shooting, think Tabala Rasa mixed with KOTOR.

1. NDS - 78,884 | 78,597 | 5,961,099 | 19,966,778
2. PSP - 58,964 | 59,714 | 2,244,938 | 6,777,067
3. PS3 - 55,924 | 17,434 | 844,568 | 1,302,126
4. WII - 34,546 | 37,617 | 2,860,430 | 3,780,073
5. PS2 - 9,043 | 10,209 | 658,773 | 20,813,632
6. 360 - 5,817 | 17,673 | 188,716 | 453,418
7. GBA - 923 | 319 | 49,903 | 15,347,982
8. NGC - 69 | 155 | 10,303 | 4,179,771
PSU

Not bad at all. And these sales only include the very first day on release.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']PSU

Not bad at all. And these sales only include the very first day on release.[/quote]

Maybe if the PS3's performance continues to do well in Japan, it'll get more games worth bringing over here. It can only help, anyway.

By the way, I see that you have somewhere to post where everyone agrees with you. I'm surprised that you don't just spend all of your time posting there, since you find dissent so stressful. ;)

[quote name='elmyra']Maybe if the PS3's performance continues to do well in Japan, it'll get more games worth bringing over here. It can only help, anyway.

By the way, I see that you have somewhere to post where everyone agrees with you. I'm surprised that you don't just spend all of your time posting there, since you find dissent so stressful. ;)[/QUOTE]Actually, I'm a little more critical of Sony there most of the time. The person who agreed with me anyway in that thread, actually happens to be a friend of mine (who lives nearby me, into RPGs and PlayStation platforms like me).

[quote name='Thomas96']not too bad... that means that they should do well for the week and the month.. might outsell the Wii for the month.[/QUOTE]

Oh shit! Looks like I might be right!

bread's done
Back